Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Second Time's A Charm! (447)

One heck of a great episode. Anabel's tactic with having Alakazam use Focus Punch was weird. Nice to see Tauros get its due somewhat, and at least Ash tried something different by knocking out the lights in the final round.

As for Ash+Anabel, it's a cute pairing and a semi-true one, but EnigmaShadowShipping (Rich+Anabel) will live forever! So go read it in Fan Fics.....

Heh. I'll definitely tape this one when it's dubbed.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

I doubt it, but am curious if Ash was shown sending tauros back to Oak's at the end of this episode...
    "Psychos... they always love comics." - Det. Elliot Stabler.

Amusing battle. Even Pikachu would have lost if they lights weren't off, it was still a pretty good battle, IMO. Now that Ash has 6 symbols, I cannot wait for the Battle Pyramid.

Season One Complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo Theatre
    Espeon then throws a blind Shadow Ball in the air and Pikachu counters witha Thunder which directly hits Espeon for major damage.
    Wrong. Espeon did NOT use Shadow Ball. You'd know too, because it has pretty much exactly the same name in Japanese. (Picture the term "Shadow Ball" pronounced with a Japanese accent.) That attack, surprisingly, was Zap Cannon. And for those who may not remember, Espeon could learn it as a TM in the G/S/C days.
    Last edited by Geodude; 1st April 2006 at 1:07 AM.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Eh was an ok episode. Finally did a getting chased by beedrill gag right by actually making it more of a light hearted gag rather than part of the plot *cough* Sceptile regains attacks episode *cough* Ash & Anabel interactions where nice but as cyber said earlier. What's the point when Anabel is more than likely gone to never be seen again. Now that I think about it besides the movies, I think Anabel has been the only girl to have an obvious crush on Ash. I suppose you can make a strong case for Misty though.

The battle was nice and generic like the normal 3v3 15 mins usually are. This epsiode reinforces why I hate Ash's lose episodes because by some mircale they learned how to duck and avoid the same attacks they where getting nailed with the previous battle :\

Honestly did Espeon really need to know Iron Tail? Are we doomed from now on to see every pokemon that has a tail use Iron Tail? Is it now a writer standard that when Pikachu uses Iron Tail against a pokemon with a tail that pokemon must counter with Iron Tail?

I would imagine also that turning out the lights wouldn't be considered cheating, considering it would be the same to me as melting an ice field, freezing a water field, turning a rock field into molten rock, etc. But since we've yet to see clear rules on what allowed to happen on a pokemon field in a battle it's hard to say if it would be cheating or not. To me the last episode where Ash blocked pikachu from volt tackling into a wall is more of a cheat than the lights.
    Last edited by Jikkle; 1st April 2006 at 1:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    That attack, surprisingly, was Zap Cannon.
    Huh??? What in the name of Zeus would convince them to make Zap Cannon look like that!?

Wrong. Espeon did NOT use Shadow Ball. You'd know too, because it has pretty much exactly the same name in Japanese. (Picture the term "Shadow Ball" pronounced with a Japanese accent.) That attack, surprisingly, was Zap Cannon. And for those who may not remember, Espeon could learn it as a TM in the G/S/C days.
    Thank you, very much for that. In my play-by-play I listed it as Shadow Ball. I just edited it...

Quote Originally Posted by NoDot
    Huh??? What in the name of Zeus would convince them to make Zap Cannon look like that!?
    Now that I realized what it was, I'm pretty sure that's just about how it looked when we saw it last.

Well, if you can name any other time besides the Roxanne battle, I'll submit to that change....
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Why would you ask for another time? The Roxanne battle is good enough, isn't it?

....Because the Roxanne battle's Zap Cannon had a completely different look AND had the look I was customed to!

Rather, I'm asking if there was another, more RECENT change to Zap Cannon that I some how overlooked. If not, then I once again question the needless changing of attack looks.
    V | Faction

Look at it this way, giving an attack that hasn't been seen in a LONG time a new look will probably go over easier than suddenly giving a common attack a new look and forcing everyone to adjust to something they're used to seeing.

Hmmmm...
    All in all, not a very memorable battle. Except for Tauros being in it.
    Gaaah! Why do the writers love Espeon so much? Is it possible that....no, better not think about that.
    Corphish is participating in this one because he will not be in the Pyramid battle. If our info is correct, Squirtle's return would render Corphish depositable. Which is sad, but likely.
    Join the Probopass cult now, and receive a year's supply of chocolate-scented toothpicks!

I really didn't care for this episode. I got more out of the first 12 or so minutes of character interaction and foolhardy Team Rocket antics then I did out of the actual battle. There weren't any outstanding strategies used, so it got pretty stale as the fight progressed.

Corphish against Alakazam was the best of the three, but something about it irked me. Deja vu perhaps?
    And surely there must be some rule against recalling a pokémon and then putting it back into the battle almost instantly? Suffice to say, I wasn't too fond of that little stunt. It did the job and all...but I say 'bah' to that.

Metagross vs. Tauros was mediocre at best, and it didn't help that it was as short as Hinata's outfit-of-choice. I also found it strange that Anabel was quite content to let Metagross just stand there and let Tauros throw it around like a rag-doll, when in the previous match she seemed to favour using psychic attacks to crap all over Ash's 'charge at the opponent' tactic.

Espeon vs. Pikachu was downright boring. ~Woah, Iron Tail and Quick attack, I'm impressed~ Though I DID like the idea of disabling everyone's vision. It's nice when they take adantage of the surroundings, be they organic or man-made. I wish they'd do that kind of thing more often infact.
    Speaking of which. Where exactly did the handicap of Espeon's forehead-gem glowing in the dark to make it a sitting duck spring from? Did they make any mention of that in it's pokédex entry, or did they just pull some more bs out of nowhere?

And just a note. I thought it was awesome to see a flock of Farfetch'd doin' what ducks do best.
    ...wha?....eating bread?....
    ...What ducks do SECOND best then.

Also, Team Rocket's 'mecha'? It was both the greatest and stupidest contraption they've ever concocted.
    Oh, and the random Haruka/Combusken scene was a crowd pleaser. And by crowd, I mean Gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    I really didn't care for this episode. I got more out of the first 12 or so minutes of character interaction and foolhardy Team Rocket antics then I did out of the actual battle. There weren't any outstanding strategies used, so it got pretty stale as the fight progressed.

Corphish against Alakazam was the best of the three, but something about it irked me. Deja vu perhaps?
    And surely there must be some rule against recalling a pokémon and then putting it back into the battle almost instantly? Suffice to say, I wasn't too fond of that little stunt. It did the job and all...but I say 'bah' to that.

Metagross vs. Tauros was mediocre at best, and it didn't help that it was as short as Hinata's outfit-of-choice. I also found it strange that Anabel was quite content to let Metagross just stand there and let Tauros throw it around like a rag-doll, when in the previous match she seemed to favour using psychic attacks to crap all over Ash's 'charge at the opponent' tactic.

Espeon vs. Pikachu was downright boring. ~Woah, Iron Tail and Quick attack, I'm impressed~ Though I DID like the idea of disabling everyone's vision. It's nice when they take adantage of the surroundings, be they organic or man-made. I wish they'd do that kind of thing more often infact.
    Speaking of which. Where exactly did the handicap of Espeon's forehead-gem glowing in the dark to make it a sitting duck spring from? Did they make any mention of that in it's pokédex entry, or did they just pull some more bs out of nowhere?

And just a note. I thought it was awesome to see a flock of Farfetch'd doin' what ducks do best.
    ...wha?....eating bread?....
    ...What ducks do SECOND best then.

Also, Team Rocket's 'mecha'? It was both the greatest and stupidest contraption they've ever concocted.
    Oh, and the random Haruka/Combusken scene was a crowd pleaser. And by crowd, I mean Gravy.
    It seems everything I wanted to say was said by this very delightful Gravy chap and then some. Seriously. I have nothing to add. Just emphasise the awesome+stupidity of the Wobbuffet Inflation Mech...thing. It wasn't really a mech, yeah...

Oh wait I do have something to add--that saves the panic of potentially being in complete mental sync with someone whose username is a KFC addon. And that is the fact I burst into laughter when the Beedrill showed up-- they're just so cliché now, I think it's becoming hilarious, almost in a TR manner.

[QUOTE=ArrEmmDee]Just emphasise the awesome+stupidity of the Wobbuffet Inflation Mech...thing. It wasn't really a mech, yeah...QUOTE]

Is this the first time they used an inflatable mech? (I mean other than the Meowth balloon)

Look at it this way, giving an attack that hasn't been seen in a LONG time a new look will probably go over easier than suddenly giving a common attack a new look and forcing everyone to adjust to something they're used to seeing.
    In my original post, if you notice, I said I'd be content with the new look if an episode not too long ago had the same effect.

To my knowledge I don't think there is.

But hell, it's expected. Mega Kick was used in the Hoenn League, a great deal more recent than Roxanne's battle, and they changed that for Combusken. Can't they even used the cliché "Every Pokemon used it in its own special way" excuse?
    V | Faction

The battle seemed way to rushed for a rematch
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by JazzJazz
    I doubt it, but am curious if Ash was shown sending tauros back to Oak's at the end of this episode...
    We never see him do it anymore :/ But its 99.99% chance he sent Tauros back, it happened with Heracross, Snorlax ect and we didn't even see them get sent back D:

Well, he could have kept it, I guess we will find out in the next episode
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

I'd have to agree with HoennMaster. It did seem like a very rushed battle. Not to single Annabel out or anything, but they could have used this episode to train then go back next episode to rechallenge.

Seriously..what changed? Did Pikachu, Tauros, and Corphish need another lap to learn how to defeat Annabel? They really could have planned this much better (ending here because I'm going into speculation territory)...
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

It makes sense that Metagross tied with Tauros. Metagross is in line with those powerhouses like Dragonite, Tyraitar and Salamence. It's no pushover.

Pikachu vs Espeon... boring. It's been a looooooooooooooooooong time since Pikachu's battles became painfully boring to watch. I thought Volt Tackle would compensate for its over-appearance, but I was wrong.

And I don't expect Corphish to evolve, EVER. From early Hoenn, I knew that Treecko would eventually grow into a Sceptile, Taillow into Swellow, Snorunt into Glalie, and Phanpy into Donphan. I have always had this INCREDIBLY strong feeling that Corphish would never evolve.[/overconfident ranting]
    MY BELIEFS
    - Globalization is a force for good. Saying that it is cultural imperialism is pure exaggeration. And yes, globalization does help poor and developing countries.
    - The Japanese prime minister should stop visiting the Yasukuni Shrine NOW.
    - Multinational corporations are heavily underrated. They truly deserve more love.
    - There is no god.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed
    And how is Ash/Anabel any different than the other one-shot ships we have? I admit it is a very cute pairing, but Anabel will probably never show up again.
    Somehow I saw it coming, expect a shipping community in about 2 days to a week.

Seriously though, I just think it's a common write off in anime when two equals of the opposite sex build up some sort of admiration that's almost like a crush but a far cry from infatuation.

Anabel probably admires the type of person Ash represents as far as Pokemon trainers go. It's like when a genius colleague respects your methods, you can't help BUT feel a little flattered.

Still, it's not likely we'll see her in a future episode, it's just about as likely as we'll see most Gym Leaders again.

How many Pokeshippers will make effigies of poor Annie to burn I wonder?

I could see this happening...

XD This seems to be the second time Heigani battled decently when he was confused (the first being against Kaede's Golduck). That guy really seems to have a knack for it, doesn't he?

I don't have much to comment on this episode. Just what Gravy said about how the battle seemed a tad rushed, the high-point probably being Pikachu taking out the lights, and the beginning being great with the interaction and Rocket Dan's mech. And was there any point to giving Kentauros Double Team? Some complaints about it is that the move's kinda redundant now (given, Satoshi never had a Double Teamer for most of the series, but he recently gained two in AG in the form of Oosubame and Onigohri. Kentauros doesn't even learn it naturally). Now, it seems as though those complaints are gonna go towards a technique that had no purpose in the first place, considering Metagross simply mowed down all the copies and successfully hit with Hyper Beam. Well, either Double Team can never show up on Kentauros again and said complainers can be happy, or now that it's there, hope Kentauros can make some damn good use of it in a future appearance. I'd be inclined to lean towards the latter.

And it's a shame they couldn't have done a bit more with Lila training Satoshi ahd Haruka to use telepathy (damn, we've come a long way from the first Kantou saga, which made it look like people had to be born with the rare ability to use telepathy). It's like she's giving this big explanation on it, but it ends up going nowhere. Honestly, it would've been nice to see Satoshi gain that ability, considering in the games, you obviously don't shout your command for your opponent to hear, and the Special manga even delved on commanding Pokemon without shouting (Green). But maybe after about 500 episodes, the writers are just too accustomed to shouting commands or something.

Anyway, I wonder what Enishida was implying at the end. He's saying something like "And now... you'll understand when you get there." And god, please let the Battle Pyramid's location be another sign that Takeshi will be leaving soon.
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 1st April 2006 at 11:27 AM.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

OK from what I saw in the images it looked like a cool episode. I just hope that gyme leader comes back, to me she's the perfect match for Ash YAY. I'm a Towershipper all the way hehe. Maybe she could come back and travel with Ash in the next season, yah never know. And also there was a couple of girls who had there hearts for Ash in the show, one of them was in the fifth season {I forget there names} Any who yah best episode ever. I loved the blushingness.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast