Thread: Fire/Electric type Magnemite/Magneton?

Default Fire/Electric type Magnemite/Magneton?

OKay, so one day, my friend got a Fire/Electric type Magneton in Blue. He told me that he did it like that:

1- Catch a Magnemite/Magneton in R/B (Not sure about Yellow)
    2- Trade it to G/S (Not sure if Crystal works too)
    3- Trade it back to R/B. It should be Fire/Electric type.

Note that I'm not sure if it works all the time. The reason I don't know if it will work with Yellow and Crystal is that my friend used Blue and Silver for it.

My theory:

I think that Magnemite turns to Fire type since Magnemite gets Steel type in G/S, and when it gets traded back to R/B it replaces it with Fire (I'm not sure if it could take another type.
    In G/S, Magnemite gets an hex number that gives it the Steel type, and when you trade it to R/B, the hex number doesn't gives any type anymore, since Steel type doesn't exists.
    Even if it gives no type, the game "thinks" there should be a type in that emplacement, and it gives off the type that is the first in the hex list, Fire.

This could be useful, since by gaining Fire Type, it gains a resistance against Grass type and Fire type.

I just need someone to try it to see if it works, prefferably using Blue and Silver, since these were the games my friend used. If that doesn't works, then I could just delete the thread or mods could lock it.

I've seen videos of this, actually.
    Would Magneton being electric/fire type benefit it at all? It adds a double ground weakness, so I dunno.

I tried the method you posted with my own Silver and Blue games; didn't get me an Electric/Fire Magneton in Blue. Its only type was Electric. I am almost positive the Fire typing only shows up when being used on Stadium 1, and it doesn't actually do anything. A Magnemite/Magneton with this condition will still only take neutral damage from Water and Rock, and will not have resistances to Fire, Ice, Grass, and Bug.

And yes, it does have to do with the hex values in RBY. The number that corresponds with Steel in GSC doesn't give any type in RBY, so it goes with the type that comes after Steel, which happened to be Fire. In reality it is still just pure Electric in Gen 1 games.
    Last edited by Narshen; 21st May 2009 at 1:07 AM.

Well, maybe that it doesn't always work, but did you trade using Stadium or did you use the time machine? My friend used the time maching, so if you used Stadium that could explain.

Not quite sure how that would make a difference. Trading between the two generations in Stadium 2 follows the same rules as the Time Machine does. I just tried the method posted at Gamefaqs, but that also didn't work.

Since all Magnemite/ton from GSC display the Fire typing on Stadium, it can't be something that would only randomly show up on the cartridge games. It either works, or it doesn't. Have you actually seen this Magneton for yourself, or did your friend just tell you about it?

And, why wouldn't trading by time machine and trading between two games make a difference?

On Stadium, both Pokémon get traded at the same time, while on the GB/C, they get sent one after each other. Also, what makes you think Stadium wouldn't see that Magnemite got the wrong type and that Stadium couldn't fix it?

I'm going to try this once my Stadium 2 comes in.
    Complete Nuzlocke All-star Team

No,I don't think that works.Definitely not.
    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/2en9hmt.png[/IMG]
    ---------------------------------------------------
    If anybody wants Pokemon with Pokerus,contact me via PM
    Platinum Friend Code :2536 3632 4456
    Soul Silver FC : 2494 0321 7044
    Time Zone :+5.5(IST, I am from India)

Spoiler:- Credits:

I don't know why anyone would want one other than collecting purposes given the fact that it doesn't change other than having a 4x weakness to ground
    In progress: Platinum Nuzlocke

Quote Originally Posted by Sprintking View Post
    I don't know why anyone would want one other than collecting purposes given the fact that it doesn't change other than having a 4x weakness to ground
    The typing is purely for show; it doesn't affect weaknesses/resistances.

I really wish I had a gamelink cable to put this issue to rest once for all...oh well.

I would try this, but my game link broke eons ago
    My pearl team:

This is Red. If you think Red is the greatest pokemon Trainer, copy and paste this in your sig *started by Mewten150*

I documented this almost 7 years ago: Basically, if you have RBY Magnemite/Magneton, and you save it in Stadium 2's Lab, it writes Electric (23) and Steel (9) to its types. Of course, in RBY and Stadium 1 there is no Steel type, so it's just a dummy, and indeed nowhere in 1st generation does that type ever actually affect what any attack hits for.

However, left unaltered, the Magnemite will show as Electric/Fire when you try to select it as a team member in Stadium 1. It isn't actually a Fire type, but it's looking for the graphic to go with its second type, #9. Since there isn't a type 9 in RBY, it doesn't have a valid pointer to look up, so it falls through to 10...then 11...then 12...In fact, after 8 (Ghost), the next valid type is all the way over at 20 (Fire), which is the first good reference it sees and that's the graphic it uses. Other than that, nothing's any different from a normal Magnemite.

yes im pretty sure you are right about the steel thing...since there is no steel in red blue also i think if you trade a magnemite caught in g s the same thing will happen if you trade it
    Wish Upon a Darkstar

Live To Win