Thread: Looking Back... (An Inuyasha and Kikyo Discussion)

Sheena Guest

Default Looking Back... (An Inuyasha and Kikyo Discussion)

I've been looking at many previous posts, and I noticed that there seemed to be serious arguments about Inuyasha and Kikyo's relationship.

I don't watch Inuyasha much, but I have to wonder: Why do so many people deny that this pairing happened? Didn't the creator directly state that the two were in love?

I was wondering, are there any particular reasons as to why this pairing is denyed by so many at these forums?

... wtf?

If you've been looking at previous posts and saw the "serious arguments" about the whole Kikyou thing, wouldn't you already KNOW why people deny it? It's the same stuff really:

1. They mistrusted each other too easily.
    2. Kikyou hates Inuyasha.
    3. Inuyasha loves Kagome.

And so on. Of course, I think most the whole thing is crap.

Well, those are the reasons they give, but I think it has much more to do with a lack of understanding about how you can fall in love with someone else if you were really in love before. I myself have trouble with this concept, but I can sorta see it.

Another problem is that people usually don't feel the same connection between Inu-Yasha and Kikyo as between Inu-Yasha and Kagome because the better days when everything was mushy and great aren't shown in much detail. You get a little, but only a couple of clips, and it's all dramatic and doesn't show much of the friendship they must of had, and then you see all the bad stuff. I think that's why.
    These are my fanfics. Read them. Or not, whatever.
    Pokemon Generations: Satsumi's Journey (Chapter 1 Now Up!)
    My Fanfiction.net Profile

This is my Tumblr. Read it if you are so inclined.
    The Philosophy of Shipping (shipdr.tumblr.com)

i think inuyasha just doesnt understand love at all!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hakajin
    Well, those are the reasons they give, but I think it has much more to do with a lack of understanding about how you can fall in love with someone else if you were really in love before. I myself have trouble with this concept, but I can sorta see it.
    That concept has never really bothered me personally. I think if people looked more between the bond Kikyou and Kagome have, not Inuyasha and whichever girl, would be able to understand it a little better too.
    Another problem is that people usually don't feel the same connection between Inu-Yasha and Kikyo as between Inu-Yasha and Kagome because the better days when everything was mushy and great aren't shown in much detail. You get a little, but only a couple of clips, and it's all dramatic and doesn't show much of the friendship they must of had, and then you see all the bad stuff. I think that's why.
    I did find that rather annoying, but I watched the special and it satisfied me enough.

Most people I know seem to love the special, even if they don't like InuKik, because we're finally able to see some of their "friendship" moments instead of only the "dramatic" ones.

Most people I know seem to love the special, even if they don't like InuKik, because we're finally able to see some of their "friendship" moments instead of only the "dramatic" ones.
    Which special was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hakajin
    Which special was that?
    Episode 147/148 - Fateful Love Song From Before We Met.

It's about Kikyou before she died and... stuff. :O

Sheena Guest

Ah, I've heard about the famous special.

There isn't much to discuss if an opposing side isn't here.

What I don't get is from what I gather, Kikyou and Kagome are the same person in a sense. Like have the same soul. So why does everyone say Inyuasha loves Kagome but not her prior existence or whatever Kikyou is supposed to be? (Sorry that I lack understanding, don't know the show too well)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

Quote Originally Posted by intergalactic platypus
    What I don't get is from what I gather, Kikyou and Kagome are the same person in a sense. Like have the same soul. So why does everyone say Inyuasha loves Kagome but not her prior existence or whatever Kikyou is supposed to be? (Sorry that I lack understanding, don't know the show too well)
    There was an episode where Kagome says she's not Kikyou... Because she isn't. But they share the same soul (Kagome has most of it though) so... They sort of are the same person.

The closest thing I can think of is the link between Yoko Kurama and Kurama, but it's not quite like that either. =/

They don't have the same consciousness, but they do have a lot of the same characteristics and feelings, and . . . well, qualities that I can't describe, just the way they talk and their auras.

Kagome seems different than Kikyo, but I think that's because she grew up differently and didn't have to bear the responsibility of the Shikon jewel.

Also, the Japanese concept of the soul is very confusing to me. Like how Kikyo's soul after Kagome takes back most of hers is comprised of many different souls. So what happens to those souls whom she uses? Do they just not exist anymore? It's like they're nothing more than energy. So if a soul is just energy, what really makes people who they are? It's sorta like in FMA. It's more than one anime, and that's what leads me to believe that this is a pretty widespread idea in Japan.

First off ¬_¬

Kikyou dose NOT hate Inuyasha nor dose Inuyasha hate Kikyou
    Inuyasha dose NOT love Kagome he cares deeply for her because she is Kikyou's soul.
    Inuyasha in fact cares about both Kikyou AND Kagome he dose not "luv kags more" he loves both equally (btw the kiss in movie 2 is not good evidence as movies do not could toward the anime OR manga)

But honstly Kikyou is better off with Suikotsu (>_> i wish he wasn't killed off) Inuyasha with Sango (He needs a woman who can put him in his place (not just Kagome's annoying "SIT YOU JERK" and dose not remind him of Kikyou, Kagome is better off with Kouga or Hojo.

I really don't like how the Kikyou and Kagome Haters (people who hate them both) say they are the same its not true they may have few things in common (Miko powers and love/connection to Inuyasha)

like if you have a clone of Kikyou or Kagome if one is raised spoiled and the other abusively they WONT be the same person.

i think inuyasha just doesnt understand love at all!!
    Ha! i agree in fact from a recent Interview with Rumiko Inuyasha has STILL not decided between the two (and probably never will) I'm guessing the actual ending will be Inuyasha dieing then Kagome and Kikyou asking "Inuyasha who do you love?" then he'd say "K-K....*dies*" Then Kikyou would finish killing Naraku and Kagome would have no choice but to go back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Butterfly
    Kikyou dose NOT hate Inuyasha nor dose Inuyasha hate Kikyou
    I wouldn't say she does now, but she sure seemed to at the beginning. You know, with the attempted murders and all.

I wouldn't say she completely hated him, I think she was being overtaken by anger and she had to get over it.
    Inuyasha dose NOT love Kagome he cares deeply for her because she is Kikyou's soul.
    Inuyasha got over trying to look for Kikyou inside Kagome ages ago, he says it in the manga at some point. To say he doesn't love her is insane, especially at this point. To make an example, Inuyasha IMMEDIATLY leaving Kikyou when she was trying to drag him to hell and saved Kagome.
    Inuyasha in fact cares about both Kikyou AND Kagome he dose not "luv kags more" he loves both equally (btw the kiss in movie 2 is not good evidence as movies do not could toward the anime OR manga)
    Inuyasha clearly loves Kagome more now. Whether he's considered the depth of his feelings for her or has realized this is another story, but that doesn't mean he's gotten over Kikyou quite yet.