Thread: Evangelion: Angelic Days

Default Evangelion: Angelic Days

Just when you thought it was gone for good....IT RETURNS! On April 30th, the manga adaptation of the Girlfriend of Steel video game for Neon Genesis Evangelion will be released. This is basically an AU manga. Sounds pretty cool. Anyone else here excited about this?
    Warhammer 40K Fangirl and a Wolf Lady Of Fenris!

Eldershipping isn't dead! Oak x Delia Supporter Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Mysty
    Just when you thought it was gone for good....IT RETURNS! On April 30th, the manga adaptation of the Girlfriend of Steel video game for Neon Genesis Evangelion will be released. This is basically an AU manga. Sounds pretty cool. Anyone else here excited about this?
    Actually, Sadamoto is still around for the manga, and volume ten was just released in Japan back in March. Not to mention the fact that the Platinum Collection (the U.S. version of Renewal, minus the movies since fuggin Manga Entertainment still has those) was just finished over here about a year ago... Oh, and [adult swim] is wrapping up their showing of ADV's dub. Are we also forgetting the live action movie that ADV is insistent on doing (despite the fact that it won't be nowhere near as good as the original)?

Ten years later after finishing its initial television run, Neon Genesis Evangelion is far from being 'gone for good.'

Anyway, about this 'dating sim' version of the manga, I've read up to where the scanlations went whilst I was bored one day... and, well, I'm reminded how much Gainax continues to milk money from this series, and this spin-off is certainly no exception. Not to mention the fact that no adaption (canon in its own right or otherwise) does justice to what the original series did.

So, am I hyped up to buy this as I am with Viz's release of D.Gray-man? Nowhere near that. More so than ever seeing a dreaded license of someone bringing over Ichigo 100%? Yes, but then again I think that's too easy of a choice for me.

in the moment of ultra-light
    when the fire burns black
    & each & every second in the flame
    we divide & sub-divide &
    each time a cell splits off we
    become a new flesh - a new flesh
    a new self - a new self
    into infinity

I wasn't saying it was gone and dead. I'm doing a speech in class on it, it's just it hasn't aired on TV in a while and has not been a focus. I do agree with the milking thing though. Ultimate example: Gainax's figurines anthropomorphizing the angels as pretty human females. Including poor poor Kaworu.
    Warhammer 40K Fangirl and a Wolf Lady Of Fenris!

Eldershipping isn't dead! Oak x Delia Supporter Forever!

I've read the whole thing. And dear god, did I ever want to smack Shinji at one point. And Asuka at almost every point. It's not that bad... I just happen to hate the ending.

I personally want them to release the other dating sim manga, the Shinji Raising Project. He has a slightly better chance of ending up with a good choice in that one. Plus it hasn't finished like GoF/Angelic Days.

So, I'm not buying it since I know that I'll be upset by volume four. I'll wait for Shinji Raising Project to get liscensed instead.
    Bishies: Luppi & Lady Bat|C.Bishie: Clopin|VG.Bishie: Gale|Pokemon: Ariados
    Ships: ReijixSaturn, KafeixVaati, MeltxLezard & NoelxLeon
    Twin: Vycksta

Shipping Face-Off (Ultimate Face-Off of 2007): Best Shinji/Paul Ship

Quote Originally Posted by Mysty
    I wasn't saying it was gone and dead. I'm doing a speech in class on it, it's just it hasn't aired on TV in a while and has not been a focus.
    Ah, sorry about that; I believed that you were applying that to not only the readers, but yourself as well.

I do agree with the milking thing though.
    Gainax is business first like any other company. When they have an opportunity like Evangelion to ride on with its fame, they aren't going to hesitate.

I honestly don't know what's more pathetic: companies milking a series/program/whatever for all it's worth and then some, or the fans who buy into it and spend their money on the merchandise. Then again, I'm one to talk...

Ultimate example: Gainax's figurines anthropomorphizing the angels as pretty human females.
    They honestly make me think of a scenario of Rei trying to choose of what to wear on Halloween... That idea is impossible enough -- actually seeing something like makes me cringe.

On another note, they have released shoes that had the color of the EVAs, and even perfume of the three main female roles in the series... Yes, we get 'scents' of Rei, Asuka, and Misato.

I'm not going to say anymore about that.

Including poor poor Kaworu.
    Oh, I dunno, Kaworu doesn't technically have a real gender, so I don't see what the problem is here.

... And yes, the fan girls who want hawt yaoi smex and the homophobes who don't want to even think of the subject are both wrong. If anything, Kaworu would play a closer role to     Spoiler:

Yes, repeated pictures/frames/stock footage were technically bad, but they became a staple throughout the series and actually made a lot of symbolic sense and connections. Enough of that, though, as that is the television series... this... 'adaption' is nowhere near the level of genius as that.

Quote Originally Posted by taitofan
    I've read the whole thing. And dear god, did I ever want to smack Shinji at one point. And Asuka at almost every point. It's not that bad... I just happen to hate the ending.

I personally want them to release the other dating sim manga, the Shinji Raising Project. He has a slightly better chance of ending up with a good choice in that one. Plus it hasn't finished like GoF/Angelic Days.

So, I'm not buying it since I know that I'll be upset by volume four. I'll wait for Shinji Raising Project to get liscensed instead.
    So it actually has ended? My dear twiddles, I thought that romance shoujo series like those let eons go by before they are completed. Exactly how many volumes are there? And I'm also going to guess that you can read the raws, as there are no scans out after ADV licensed it.

... Curious, why did you hate the ending?

My curiosity gets the better of me sometimes, even if I do want to know more information about something as pointless and meaningless to me as the dead skin on the bottom of my foot (exaggeration, yeah, but I'm sure you get the implications).

we divide & sub-divide &
    a new self - a new self
    into infinity

There are five volumes, though the main story ends in the fourth volume with the final focusing on the adults when they were teens. Someone translated it in a text file and bundled it with the scans. The first four I read scanlated though. Liscencing doesn't stop everyone, whether it should or not.

As for why I didn't like it... Mainly cause I didn't like who Shinji ended up with. Of his three suitors, he picked the only one I didn't want. Spoilers up ahead...

Spoiler:

So, as you an see, some people will love that ending and some will hate it. Being a manga that focuses on romance, it's frustrating when the person you've been rooting for gets their heart broken.     Spoiler:

I don't think I've ever used so many spoiler tags. ^^;

Sweet mercy, now I remembered why I was so damn frustrated with the series (aside from the lack of depth, bad characterization, WTF?! kind of plot and not in the amazingingly brilliant sense that the original series had, and the art being too fuggin stereotypically shoujo)... IT'S A FREAKIN' SOAP OPERA.

About the ending: I thought that that specific event happened a bit earlier, like in volume three or somethin'? Or is that event that nails it in the coffee? Meh, whatever, I just remember it being something to the effect of the final scan showing     Spoiler:

I think the above shows why I honestly don't like shoujo manga. Love triangles (or squares in this case... >_>) are nice and all for some people, but honestly, most of them lacks any depth or heart to them, barring a fair share of exceptions.

On a random note, I never got past the first chapter on volume four, so I didn't know that someone had given a translation of the remaining chapters.

... Oh, and the first volume by ADV is probably out by now, so anyone who isn't put out by what these last two posters and still interested in actually getting it... go do so.

we divide & sub-divide &
    a new self - a new self
    into infinity

I think Angelic Days is coming out here in the UK sometime this month. I will probably buy it (If I can afford it). I've seen some scans of it on the internet and I ended up getting just as addicted to it as all anime/manga after watching/reading it for the first time, I just couldn't stop reading.

taitofan, you said you've read all of it. By that do you mean its finished or that you have read all that there is thus far? Its just theres never much infomation on Angelic Days on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiash
    taitofan, you said you've read all of it. By that do you mean its finished or that you have read all that there is thus far? Its just theres never much infomation on Angelic Days on the net.
    I've read it all. There are only five volumes, and only the first four are the main storyline. The last one focuses on the adults when they were teens.