Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon! (---)

Hey guys. This is to discuss the special itself. Not the darn voice actors. Please try to stay on topic.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

question: why wasnt mewtwo, suiune, jirachi, rayquaza and deoxys in pikachus memory??

two words:
    horrible voices
    *Mega Fairies*

Quote Originally Posted by Master Sweden
    question: why wasnt mewtwo, suiune, jirachi, rayquaza and deoxys in pikachus memory??

two words:
    horrible voices
    Mewtwo Returns, Pokemon 4Ever, Jirachi Wish Maker, Destiny Deoxys

That's why those were in Pikachu's memory
    Pokémon Tournament & League Organizer in Hawaii

It couldn't show ALL the Pokemon Pikachu saw.

i know (i think) why ash (and all other) just used about two pokemon

if it airs in japan ash cant use grovyle instead of sceptile b/c it already evolved there
    so if ash would use grovyle in japan it would be confusion
    *Mega Fairies*

i know (i think) why ash (and all other) just used about two pokemon

if it airs in japan ash cant use grovyle instead of sceptile b/c it already evolved there
    so if ash would use grovyle in japan it would be confusion
    Good logic, but Swellow doesn't evolve, so he was perfectly able to use it. We know May has Munchlax, and we know Brock has Forretress. Misty's team doesn't really change at all, so we could've seen all of it. Point is, a lot of Pokémon were missing when they shouldn't have been.

~*CB*~
    The 8th Champion
    Most Recent Works:

Hoenn's Legacy - An epic of the destruction of Hoenn, the rebuilding of it, and the second destruction. War story, rated TV-14 for Violence.

Skitoma - A story of love between two Wurmple unfamiliar with the concept. Rated PG for slight adult themes.

Ficubes made by me.

Someone gave me a keychain once that said "You're depriving some poor village of it's idiot." I thought it was a joke but no one else laughed

i still dont like that they gave him Dragonite.

Meh, I don't see why Professor Oak had Dragonite. He could've had a better(or weaker whatever)Pokemon. The plot overall kinda stunk, but it was good to watch I guess.

worst episode ever, the voices, the plot, and the animation.
    I need a Blissey that knows wish! Help!
    Credit to Maseki for the awesome tc! Credit to coronis and Dragon Booster90 for the awesome tc!

Quote Originally Posted by Jega33
    worst episode ever, the voices, the plot, and the animation.
    Worst post ever.

End of post.

Exactly. The voices:terrible, but the plot and animation: best I've seen in a LONG while.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one386
    Exactly. The voices:terrible, but the plot and animation: best I've seen in a LONG while.
    But there were a few flaws in the plot such as;

Ash is not supposed the one to suggest splitting up
    Brock wouldn't run away from a serious situation even if it was to see Jenny

Also these a few out of place moments in animation.

The script however; Worst Script ever!

I didn't really like this special. It was overcooked, and had far too much salad dressing. And the salad dressing looked disfigured and moldy.

First off, it's time for my trademarked comments on the quality of the animation. It's the 'thing that I do' now, so get used to it.
    Now, there were a few decent moments contained within this. I thought some of the attacks Mewtwo and Dragonite pulled off looked quite impressive for instance. But overall, it was nothing more than sub-par. Which, especially for an episode like this, was really disspointing. I knew I'd be walking into this thing expecting the animation to be the best part of the show, but unfortunately I was let down. Characters were off-model on a number of occassions, their movements almost always looked static and there was barely anything that made a lasting impression. This sort of quality is what I'd expect from a random filler episode.

And then there was the plot..or not?
    It didn't end up like the re-hashed fanfiction story I was expecting it to be, which was good enough....but it was still a fanfiction in some shape or form. The mirage system as a whole bugged the crap out of me. With pokémon like Porygon and Porygon 2 out there, it wasn't half as unique as they were trying to make it out to be. Dr. Yung was (stupidly) cliché, and the fact that his whole cherade was painfully obvious really didn't help matters.
    Though having said that, I DID oddly enough, feel sympathy for Mew and it's plight. Though I think this is down to the fact that they gave it huge glistening eyes that made it look like it was going to burst into tears. What a cheap shot

Pretty weak attempt for a 10th anniversary special.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    This sort of quality is what I'd expect from a random filler episode.
    Though really, if you take away the "10th Anniversary Special" banner, that's basically what this was.
    3DS Friend Code: 5155-3421-4718
    Friend Safari: Bug-Type (Butterfree, Volbeat, & Heracross)

I still like Dr. Yung a lot. Two parts in particular: his line "Good riddance....flawed specimen," from when Mew got 'deleted,' and those eyes right at the end when he walked back into the lab.....that look in his eyes sent a chill down my spine. So evil. He would've made a great movie villain with a few more touches.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Eh, I don't know. I'm still of the belief that Dr. Yung belonged in the "I Can't Believe It's Not Clichéd Super Villain" tub.

Good voice though.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBox
    Though really, if you take away the "10th Anniversary Special" banner, that's basically what this was.
    You know, now that I think about it...I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a random filler episode. And by that I mean '2 random filler episodes slapped together and released to the american public as a supposed special'.

I'd rather have him over that guy from 4Ever. THAT was a wasted villain.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    You know, now that I think about it...I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a random filler episode. And by that I mean '2 random filler episodes slapped together and released to the american public as a supposed special'.
    It was discovered in the credits that this special was made for Japan originally.

Also, Misty's Japanese VA said she voiced an "extra" episode back in February. Most people made the connection that it's probably this coming out in Japan.

I guess this'll make a decent 2-part filler toward the end of the BF saga...that explains Volt Tackle right? RIGHT?

My views on the mirage special. It was pretty cool. But it had a few disappointments.

First: While the special was cool, i expected alot from it, but it didn't deliver. One of the things i was hoping were that the real Mewtwo and Mew would show up like they do pretty much unexpectedly. I also didn't like the ending that much. i was hoping the "most powerful, undefeatable" pokemon would be a new pokemon, well, not one that would be in the games, just like a missingno type thing. A pokemon too powerful that it couldn't be replicated in the games. At fiest i expected a new type of pokemon, but eventually through all the talking i finally expected it to be mewtwo.

Once the mirage mewtwo came out i expected the real Mewtwo to show up sometime.

Another thing was the voices. While they weren't the worst. They were a huge step down from the dub voices we're all a customed too. I agree with some posters that said ash sounded like one of those stuffy kids. It just sounded like a weird 10 year old. Although when ash started he was 10.

Brock's voice sounded alot more manly, and older then it really should of sounded. Same with may's. Max's voice wasn't that bad. But i also didn't like misty's voice that much. Meh, we will have to get used to the voices if they do indeed keep the voice actors, we will eventually. Remember how much people complained about may's dub voice when it first came out?

I was also hoping that the masked man was indeed a new character, or maybe an old TR guy. But alas, just the prof.

Also, the prof. i forgot his name. i hope he returns in an episode or a special. I really want him to find a way to make mirage pokemon, but to make it so they can travel outside of the Mirage fields. They could make a movie, or a few part series out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by PDL
    oh yeah, and the bit about how a soul cannot be converted into data, pure corn
    I don't know.... it could actually make sense when you think about it. The Mew's considered a "flawed specimen", and flaws usually occur very often during development. I don't know how the hell the Mirage System works in the first place, but who's to say that in an early experiment, Yong didn't drain the life force out of a real Pokemon, thus resulting in that Mew with a soul (and Oak did say that Yong's projects were rejected since they showed no respect towards Pokemon, so the idea of him using a living Pokemon in such a way seems likely)?

Anyway, Pokemon USA is looking very promising, having kept in both Japanese BGMs and not playing anything over the silence. Also, did anyone notice that Absol sounded more like it does in the Japanese version? It looks as though we won't have to put up with anymore of that god-awful, deeply-voiced Absol that 4kids used (which is good, since another Absol's due to appear in a contest episode which will be dubbed by PUSA, albeit briefly). They also kept up 4kids's trend of keeping in Hellger's voice, as well as some others. The Aggron sucked, though (didn't 4kids keep its voice in the past, considering all it does is roar?).

And CyberCubed, I wouldn't look too much into May's line. She likely said that because she was left behind earlier to keep watch.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san
    The Aggron sucked, though (didn't 4kids keep its voice in the past, considering all it does is roar?).
    They did keep the original voice in it's first appearence, but in later episodes (ie. the Houen League) they dub it over. It sounds fairly similar to Bosogodora's cry, so I doubt many people really noticed the change.

IIRC, they did the same sort of thing with Houndoom once or twice. In it's first few appearences, they kept the original voice. But when the Johto league rolled around, they dubbed over Harrison's Houndoom.

And while I'm on the topic of the voices of fictional creatures. When Combusken uses it's Fire Spin for a second time, if you listen carefully you can hear a brief 'Shamo!' buried under the rest of the noise.
    Last edited by Gravy; 2nd May 2006 at 3:05 PM.

was the mirage mew the real mew?
    it looked like mirage mew knew who ash are

maybe the real mews soul were in the mirage mew?
    *Mega Fairies*

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyd2
    Mewtwo getting Dues ex machina'd. Oh and about that, mewtwo took a bunch of other attacks but dies to VOLT TACKLE?!?!??!?!? DA F***?
    Those other attacks were all blocked, they never touched Mewtwo. In this case Mew had disabled all of Mewtwo's power, including its natural defenses (it can be assumed judging by how much pain Mewtwo seemed to be in), making it very vulnerable to a strong attack.

Quote Originally Posted by ~*Rekkuza Ryuu*~
    The worst part was Volt tackle. They shouldn't have shown it in the first place, and in the anime Pokemon don't just learn moves with a snap of the finger like in the games.
    Actually they can (Noctowl and Confusion, Grovyle and Leaf Blade), but as others make clear this special clearly takes place some time after Pikachu learns Volt Tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Colosseum Heroine 1991
    EDIT: Just something I forgot to mention... There was kinda a plot hole in the special. How did Dr. Yung know about Mewtwo? Not even Prof. Oak knew about Mewtwo! Only Ash, Misty, Brock, and their pokemon at the time of Mewtwo Returns know about him, and they promised that they wouldn't tell anyone else.
    I don't recall Ash making any promise like that, he remarks he is looking foreward to telling Professor Oak about his encounter with Mewtwo, which then leads to the whole scene of everyone convincing Mewtwo to not mess with their memories. based on this we can easily conclude that Ash did tell Oak about Mewtwo, not to mention whoever has sighted it since then could give more information (Mewtwo is living in cities you might recall, with that cool cloak).

And even though Mewtwo erased the memories of the TR members, all the data they had on Mewtwo would still be in their computers, which Yung could have accessed after getting that passcode from Oak (logically TR would have connections to most Pokemon data to help their organization).

Finally, Yung had access to Pikachu's memories and we only saw a portion of the time he was scanning them, he could have easily gotten information on Mewtwo from that.

<><><>

As for the number of Legendaries shown, there was no point or purpose to make them all appear. Yung's whole ambition after all was to merge all the data he had gathered to create a perfect Pokemon with unequaled strength, access to all attacks, and no weaknesses.

<><><>

As for the basis of the Mirage pokemon, this is mostly speculation. However, we do see multiple images in the special that appear to be DNA sequences. And given what Oak says about Yung's research being rejected it can be assumed that he did experiment on real living Pokemon.

With this in mind, given that Mew is the "mother" of all Pokemon, it could be that in the process of tearing open the secrets of Pokemon DNA and converting it to data, Yung inadvertently released a "real" bit of the original Mew. Perhaps he used the Mirage Mew as the template to create all the other Pokemon, but as the Mirage Mew was the original born from the very depths of all pokemon genetic code, it was "different" from the other mirage Pokemon, and thus somehow gained a life and soul of its own. Given the way Pokemon physics works this could be quite possible.
    The defender of all things Pokemon! I shall defend Pokemon from all who speak against it! AKA Jonathan

It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but at least it burned off an hour of my time on an otherwise boring Saturday. I was very upset that Yung was evil...otherwise, I would've liked him... also, I, too, was hoping that the 'ultimate Pokemon' would be something other than Mewtwo...

After it was over, my friend and I were sobbing over the 'death' of Mew... I mean, it was deleted sooooooo slooooooooooowly, and the smile it gave was positively heart-wrenching...

Long live Mew!
    Light and darkness, love and hatred: they are not so different...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which FF Character Are You?

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast