Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon! (---)

Heheh, I'm SO glad the Japanese are probably getting this intro too. Now they can experience the same horror we have had to face (at least they don't understand half of the words... lucky them).

Eh, as for my thoughts:

Didn't like it very much.

HOWEVER, the original BGM and extra violence was excellent, and I'm surprised at how well that was kept.

Now if only PUSA will spice up the dialogue a bit and improve the voices, then we'll be okay. ^__^
    xNodame is my Bishoujo! MUKYA! >:3
    xCurrently playing: MinDeaD BlooD (PC), Dairantou Smash Bros. X (Wii), No More Heroes (Wii) [Lots of stuff]
    xCurrently watching: Nothin' [Playing too many games]
    xCurrently listening: Ayako Ono - [TWO OF US]
    <---

[ HAZUKASHII~!]

{----------------------------------------------------------------------------}
    | Anime List | Youtube Account | Website |

Okay, so I finally saw this special. This is the first time I actually sat through a dub and watched it. How long's that been? Probably it's been three or four years since I've done that. I could hardly stand watching "Legend of Thunder," so that doesn't count the last time I actually sat and watched the dub. :P

My take? I actually enjoyed it. The story wasn't as bad as some people were making it out to be. Sure, it was a bit cliche, but it wasn't that bad. The music was superb. Granted that it was recycled music from the Japanese soundtrack, but that's better than synthesizer scores. Action? I was quite suprised to see Mewtwo actually whips Mew into the ground and uppercuts it into the air. He does the same thing to Kairyuu, but finishes Mew off with TWO Solarbeams. That's something you would NEVER see on a 4Kids dub. Especially since they've began censoring minor hits.

Now onto the voices. I was right. A lot of you went into this special with hatred for the new VAs already in mind, thinking you would hate it either way. Being someone who hasn't watched the dub in so long, I actually enjoyed this very much. Now, the VAs aren't perfect, but they can be bettered and really don't need to change VAs. If Oak can deepen his voice abit, while having May highten her voice to sound younger, while having Brock work on toning down the raspiness and goofiness in his voice, followed by Ash going with a slightly lower toned voice with the same attitude he's got, then we have ourselves a winner. Misty's perfect, Max doesn't sound so bad. Dr. Yung sounded VERY good. o_o As did "Mirage Master."

Kudos to them for not dubbing over Houndoom and using the Japanese voice, Hellger, instead. Shows consistancy. Absol's attempted to sound the same as the Japanese voice, which wasn't bad.

Anyone else find Squirtle's voice to be highly amusing? Not in a bad way, of course. :P
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    Dr. Yung sounded VERY good. o_o As did "Mirage Master."
    That's because Dr. Yung/Mirage Master were both voiced by Sean Schemmel a.k.a. Goku. Hence why it was one of the only decent voices in the special.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed
    That's because Dr. Yung/Mirage Master were both voiced by Sean Schemmel a.k.a. Goku. Hence why it was one of the only decent voices in the special.
    I thought I told you that that list was fake and that wasn't who did it

Nah, the main reason Dr. Yung sounded good was because he was never seen before, hence he had no original voice to compare to.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

Yeah. It's fake! The list I posted was the true one seeing how it was from the actual special's credits! And why would Zoppi (Aka Find The Computer Room Man) or any of the others voice them, heck Dr Yung doesn't sound at all like Sean considering his other works (Goku, Vegito, Black Doom, King Kai etc).
    Come March 9th, get ready to rock!

Just finally saw it and gee it was pretty short. Everything happened so fast and really I was disapointed. I mean it was revealed Yung was the Mirage master like 5 minutes after he was kidnapped. Sure it was longer but it really seemed that fast.

I liked the theme song although they should have atleast made a better opening to it rather than just pasting scenes that were to come.

The best part for me was probably when we see Tracey, Elm, and Birch. Those three looked so scared it got me to laugh.

And finally, this episode takes place after the 8th movie right? Cause I think I heard Ash say "It's you again Mew" or something.

Not only as Joe said that it's fake, but I know VERY well that's not Sean. Sean's voice is very easy to detect. If you listen to his roles, you can call him out easily. :s He uses the same voice he does for Goku or King Kai with different tones.

Mr. Moore (Flannery's grandfather) sounded like a deeper voiced Goku while Morrison sounded like a deep voiced King Kai. :s
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

Well I do this movie at pokebeach, the site, and I thought it was very cool, the opening seemed a bit wierd (I mean the opening, not where Ash and co are walking, before thaty you know how they show flashes of trainers and pokemon?). But I really liked, I really did.
    Oh so Mew was real, I wasn't sure, cuz I was like, isn't he just a mirage? Well that's sad.
    Just one question? How did the others know Mew? I thought they forgot everything in the first movie... (I just had another story idea when typing that!), or does this relate to the other Mew movie? (Well I do live in Australia, I don't think we even have Destiny Dexoys yet)....It is episodes like these (And that Groudon/Kyogre storyline, the episodes before Mossdeep) that get me real inspired to write a story or something...

For the voices, see my post in the New Dub voice discussion.
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

It was sad when I watched that, it was so F***ing bad... I hope that the same thing doesnot happen with the next pokemon TV series..
    Friend code:1418-6735-6666 BulletMan
    Friend Safari: Bug
    Searching for: Think Fat Mamoswine, Technician Breloom

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii
    So Japanese written, Japanese produced...I believe a mod here owes me an apology?
    Pssh, no. Because the special is exactly what I said it was...a co-production between the Japanese producers and the American producers. It wasn't just a case of a Japanese special made for Japanese audiences that just *happened* to air in the US first.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

Ok I've watched it in full now. The script is what I don't like, too many out of character lines. Mirage Master, while an unoriginal name, is a good villian and trully one of the highlights. One can only essume he saw Mewtwo in Pikachus memories because there no way otherwise he'd know what a Mewtwo is.

The fighting was by far my favorate part of the special, probably because there was less dialogue XD. No seriously the battle with Mirage Mewtwo was cool, I actually said "owned" when he hit Mew.

I'd have to give seperate ratings for seperate things since my opinion on it is mixed.

Action 10/10
    Dialogue 3/10
    Voices 6/10
    Storyline 5/10

Might I ask what were the "out of character" lines? Not trying to sound sarcastic about it, just would like to know seeing as how I haven't noticed any. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    Might I ask what were the "out of character" lines? Not trying to sound sarcastic about it, just would like to know seeing as how I haven't noticed any. :P
    Its more towards the choices of words thats kinda out of character.

Misty was horribly out of character throughout the entire special. She was acting like her Season 1 counterpart than her AG personality.

Plus when they give her awful dialouge such as, "PUH-leeze" and "WHATEVER!" and "Ladies first!" it makes her sound as ditzy as her sisters. Those are lines her sisters say, not Misty herself.

May of course degraded herself in the special saying something along the lines of, "See? Looks like I am good for something."

Blech.

Misty was horribly out of character throughout the entire special. She was acting like her Season 1 counterpart than her AG personality.

Plus when they give her awful dialouge such as, "PUH-leeze" and "WHATEVER!" and "Ladies first!" it makes her sound as ditzy as her sisters. Those are lines her sisters say, not Misty herself.

May of course degraded herself in the special saying something along the lines of, "See? Looks like I am good for something."

Blech.
    There we go Ed, CyberCubed explained it better than I ever could.

She was? Because I for one didn't notice her lashing out at other characters.

I think that's just a case of reading into it too much. If you hadn't have brought that up, I'd have never even thought of pegging those two lines as portraying Misty as a valley girl.
    The 'Ladies first' thing? That's the sort of line I expect from Misty. It's completely in her character to tease Ash like that.
    Those are hardly lines that I'd consider to be contributions towards distorting one's established personallity :/

To quote Yamato-san;
    "And CyberCubed, I wouldn't look too much into May's line. She likely said that because she was left behind earlier to keep watch."
    Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    She was? Because I for one didn't notice her lashing out at other characters.
    Well no, she didn't have her temper in the special.

Perhaps because this special aired just a week after the three Pallet Town episodes with Misty, there was a distinct difference in her personality.

It may have to do with the lack of Azurill in the special (what happened to it exactly?) so she wasn't as motherly, but she was still hyper-active and very bratty. AG Misty isn't like that for the most part, she's more rational and calm.

To quote Yamato-san;
    "And CyberCubed, I wouldn't look too much into May's line. She likely said that because she was left behind earlier to keep watch."
    Makes sense to me.
    Maybe. But considering Misty was given the second biggest role in the special (after Ash), it was probably PUSA's way at taking a cheap shot at May for being a "replacement" and that Misty was the better Pokemon girl. I saw that line as a direct nod to the fanbase, because when AG debuted in the U.S. there was a hell of a lot of backlash toward May, and there still is some today.

Well no, she didn't have her temper in the special.

Perhaps because this special aired just a week after the three Pallet Town episodes with Misty, there was a distinct difference in her personality.

It may have to do with the lack of Azurill in the special (what happened to it exactly?) so she wasn't as motherly, but she was still hyper-active and very bratty. AG Misty isn't like that for the most part, she's more rational and calm.
    I didn't think she was acting any different from her recent incarnation personally. The only times that I could consider her being remotely 'bratty' included the teasing of Ash near the start of the special, and later taking a shot at Brock's overactive hormones. And those are essentially her staple character traits.
    And I can't say I can recall any instances of her seeming 'hyper-active' either. Hell, she barely did much of anything during the special in the first place. If anything, the only hyper-active attribute she had was her voice, which tended to switch to a somewhat high pitch from time to time. But that's nothing to do with her personallity

Maybe. But considering Misty was given the second biggest role in the special (after Ash), it was probably PUSA's way at taking a cheap shot at May for being a "replacement" and that Misty was the better Pokemon girl. I saw that line as a direct nod to the fanbase, because when AG debuted in the U.S. there was a hell of a lot of backlash toward May, and there still is some today.
    Second biggest role? Oh come on, all she did was get kidnapped by a Machoke and have a crappy battle with Aggron about 5 minutes in. If anyone had the second biggest role in this special, it was Proffessor Oak, with Misty's being nothing but fan fodder :P But thats a whole 'nother debate...
    Even if that particular line was infact an intentional swipe at Haruka, it's still a far cry from completely trashing her character. We've seen how Haruka occassionally beats her self up when she does something wrong, and we've seen that she can think very little of herself and her abilities. So when she says a line like that? Yeah, it seems a bit iffy and yeah, it could be considered a little harsh. But hey, I wouldn't put it past the girl.

This isn't directed at you Cybercubed, but it's pretty evident that lately, quite a few people are using the so-called *******isation of the characters as a scapegoat to broadcast their hatred for PUSA. I've seen people complain about bad writing and horrible dialogue, but apart from one or two stupid sounding lines, I'm really struggling to see how this is any different from anything 4Kids have done in the past. Hell, if you want some truely shitty dialogue and character beatings, check out Chronicles.
    And comparing some of the Chronicles episodes to this? Well...this ain't no Chronicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Second biggest role? Oh come on, all she did was get kidnapped by a Machoke and have a crappy battle with Aggron about 5 minutes in. If anyone had the second biggest role in this special, it was Proffessor Oak, with Misty's being nothing but fan fodder :P
    Eh, she was the only one to get a full battle against the Aggron with her Staryu. (Ash's battle was interrupted) Likewise, she was the one to infiltrate the castle while May and Max stayed behind, granted she didn't do much as she got groped by a Machoke and fell off a cliff, but that's more than May/Max/Brock did anyway. Not to mention battling with Gyarados at the end against Mirage Mewtwo. So, I guess that article was right when it only listed Ash/Prof. Oak/Misty as the main characters, they're the only 3 who did anything!

One thing is amusing though, even in a U.S. produced special, Brock STILL gets the shaft. I couldn't help but laugh when Brock disappeared for the entire middle and last act of the episode because he was too busy with Officer Jenny. Oh boy, it'll be a miracle if the guy ever steps out of the background these days.

Even if that particular line was infact an intentional swipe at Haruka, it's still a far cry from completely trashing her character. We've seen how Haruka occassionally beats her self up when she does something wrong, and we've seen that she can think very little of herself and her abilities.
    Yeah, but when she beats herself up there's usually a reason for that. Either she loses a Contest and she's depressed, or she feels bad for pushing her Pokemon to do something that she knew was wrong. Or she has a fight with one of her friends, etc.

In this special however, what did she do that made her doubt herself? All she did before that line was stand on the side, so its not like she made some horrible mistake and she felt bad or inferior to Misty and the others.

On this and other forums I noticed people do a double take when May said that line, because it was completely uncalled for and it didn't make sense why she was saying it. May also didn't seem to care about Max much in the special, even when he gets shot down by a blast. In the regular anime, May loves Max more than the world itself, but in the special she didn't constantly look after his safety like she does in the other movies and episodes.

Ok my parody comic is coming along well. Ash and May tend to break the 4th wall a couple of times in it, which is great for a comic. They ask various questions many of us asked about the episode.

So am I the only one who didn't think the new voices sucked?
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

You're not the only one Dogasu, I thought they were okay and will improve with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    Nope. They could use work, but they didn't suck.

AG Misty isn't like that for the most part, she's more rational and calm.
    AG Kasumi from the Mirage Kingdom two-parter says differently. Especially when it came to her keeping Satoshi from coming along into the empty building because she got the note and he didn't (real rational, eh?). Not to mention, her freak out of Bug-types and having Sunnygo fight when she knew they were up against a Pokemon that was firing off Solar Beams like crazy.

Not to mention battling with Gyarados at the end against Mirage Mewtwo. So, I guess that article was right when it only listed Ash/Prof. Oak/Misty as the main characters, they're the only 3 who did anything!
    You forgot that Haruka sent out Wakashamo and was battling along with the other three.. :P

Ok my parody comic is coming along well. Ash and May tend to break the 4th wall a couple of times in it, which is great for a comic. They ask various questions many of us asked about the episode.
    Great, only this isn't a parody comic discussion/plug thread. Stay on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    They didn't *suck* perse, but they weren't very good either.

If Ash sounding like a mentally challenged version of dub Luffy is "good" then I don't want to watch this show. Ash was simply horrible, the worst voice of the bunch.

The others can improve, May needs to get that cuteness and innocence back in her voice that the old one had. She also has to act more energetic and cheery, as that's everything May's character is about.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast