Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon! (---)

How many times do we have to say that Ash's voice is NOT provided by Luffy's dub VA? :|

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    How many times do we have to say that Ash's voice is NOT provided by Luffy's dub VA? :|
    I said he "sounded" like a mentally challenged version of dub Luffy, not that he IS Luffy's VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    So am I the only one who didn't think the new voices sucked?
    I liked them, except for James who sounds to posh.

Nope.

Myself, RandomCharizard, PurpleKecleon, Ed and a few others agree with you. We're a small bunch though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    Nope.

Myself, RandomCharizard, PurpleKecleon, Ed and a few others agree with you. We're a small bunch though.
    Count me in.

Time for my 3rd/4th impressions of it (yes I have to watch something at least 3 times).

After watching it a 4th time, compared to normal episodes I am actually pretty impressed. Why you ask? Well, for one, although some scripting/lines were pretty bad ("Wow! Im pysched. Okay, now it's our turn" etc), what they managed to do with Oak and Mirage Master was very good. For example, when Oak was first kidnapped by Mirage Master and when he said the line (interupting MM) - "You don't scare me with your juvenile threats", I loved that line (so much so I played it played it back about 6 times). Some lines do make me laugh a bit, but the way there pulled off is very good. Another example is with Oak and MM again, when they're talking about the Pokemon Institute and whatnot (after     Spoiler:
    ). Maybe that's more to do with the voices, but I loved the way they pulled it off. Of course, there was many plotholes in it, and alot of it didn't make sense if you think about it.

The music. Great. Now, i've only started watching the Japanese episodes as of late, and I recognised alot of that music that I never heard in the 4kids dubbed episodes. And when 4Kids say that the music was out of place in the JP original so they re-did it, I find that a bit daft. I cannot find one bit of music in that episode that I didn't like (except the intro, which I can actually remember off by heart no). Especially at the end, when the Mirage System blew up and the quiet music was playing, brilliant.

Now an opinion on the voices of the main characters that we'll see in the show alot.

Ash, I like it. Though a bit of work does need to be improved to sound a bit less hyper.

Brock, good. Like people have said a bit too raspy, but he got better in the special.

May, nice. I liked the line when she said "Were here to save you". Still a bit too old for the character, but I could easily get used to it.

Max, annoying like before. But it's good in the sense that it matches his character and appearence.

Overall, once again I rate it for each of it's sections.
    Plot - Suprisingly good if you ignore the loopholes
    Dialogue - Mixed bunch, some bad, some amazing.
    Music - Perfect, un-edited.
    Animation - Once again much better than a usual episode.
    Extra - Ha, yes it was more violent than most episodes, but it could be considered with the movies "violence". I mean - Jirachi Wish Maker, while my favourite Pokémon movie, had quite a bit of violence in it. Which was mostly due to Jirachi's screaming for God knows how long. This is how a usual episode should be like.

Rating - 8.5/10

End of post.

I've rewatched the special, and some things bother me.
    Not only the voices, but the aniamtion is really bad, plus the art...at the beggining, atthe entrace of the lab, did you SEE pickachu,s face? its sick!

the music of beggining, I did not like it, but the battle scenes, yes, the music I like, since they too kthe game music
    Last edited by Rufinito18; 6th May 2006 at 2:26 AM.
    www.mE-Entertainment.net

...hasten to drown into beautiful eyes ♫
    Sig Request Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Rufinito18
    I've rewatched the special, and some things bother me.
    Not only the voices, but the aniamtion is really bad, plus the art...at the beggining, atthe entrace of the lab, did you SEE pickachu,s face? its sick!
    I didn't see pickachu,s face. I liked the aniamtion.

And whats with everyone criticizing it now? If they can't find something about the voices to bash about, they find something else and blame PUSA. When the Japanese animated it.

End of post.

Sorry, the ANIMATION IS good, but some shots are deformed, I really like the plot, and I love mew, even though its voice is weird. Thats what I meant

and some music is good, and I dindt like the beggining, it didnt fit the pokemon theme, The TR motto animaton was great, but wasnt well voiced...

omg, I just saw this thing...Machamp, in the basement..grabs ash's     Spoiler:
    Last edited by Rufinito18; 6th May 2006 at 2:43 AM.
    www.mE-Entertainment.net

...hasten to drown into beautiful eyes ♫
    Sig Request Shop

The animation was only good for one or two brief sections. The majority was crap. End of story.

Bah. I'll edit this later so I can respond to Cyber's last post~

I've been waiting to hear a comment from you since this special aired (actually, I was kinda expecting you'd update your site on it by this point ^^'). Anyway, let me welcome you to the pro-PUSA group.... you too, Brinstar.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed
    Maybe. But considering Misty was given the second biggest role in the special (after Ash), it was probably PUSA's way at taking a cheap shot at May for being a "replacement" and that Misty was the better Pokemon girl.
    As has been pointed out, Misty's role really wasn't that big. Sure, she got a battle with an Aggron, but given how rarely she appears, she'd have to show off just a little. Other than that, she fought with Gyarados alongside May's Combusken, and you seem to be overlooking the fact that May comes in to save her a**. Speaking of which, you point out that Misty went with Ash, but did she honestly accomplish much between then and May's arrival? Not that I recall.

On that note, in the speculation thread, you brought up a lot of points about how Misty, who's just some gym leader, getting an invitation from Dr. Yung wouldn't make any sense. Well, I gotta say, it all comes together after watching this. He wanted Oak's password, but as he showed with Pikachu, he could read the memory of someone who saw several rare Pokemon as a back-up plan. He's likely aware that Ash and his current travelling party has seen several Pokemon, as well as Misty, who's travelled with Ash previously (and even saw Mewtwo during said travels). By inviting as many people who've had such experiences as possible, there's a more likely chance of kidnapping at least one of them to extract his necessary data from.

BTW, in case anyone asks (and since it has been a good while since I've stated this), I will use English names when referring specifically to the dub (which this special, of course, is).

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

The animation was a mix between good and bad. The worst shot for animation was Ash in the last scene. The best shots for animation were the battle with Mirage Mewtwo.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san
    I've been waiting to hear a comment from you since this special aired (actually, I was kinda expecting you'd update your site on it by this point ^^').
    I would have, but I've been busy the past week moving into my own place, so I haven't had the time to update my website. Shoot, I didn't even get to *watch* the special until Wednesday

And while the art wasn't all that good, we've seen worse. Sure, it was no "Do I Hear a Ralts?" but it wasn't as bad as "The Scuffle of Legends" either.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

Well it was a rush job, considering they were busy animating their own Japanese episodes as well as the 9th movie at the same time.

Animating some dinky little special for Americans wasn't their main focus.

Okay, I was able to watch the whole thing today, not just some clips of it and I think EE said it best...I enjoyed it was well. It was a net suprise.

Let´s face it. almost every pokemon story is a cliché, but this was entertaining nervertheless.

I liked the action scenes as well as the sad moments. I was suprised how violent ( pokemon-wise) some scenes were, I don´t mean this in a bad way, It made the whole Mirage Mewtwo much more treatening...I just wish that the animation would have been better in some scenes..

The music was good as well, but I´m used to the japanese version, so it wasn´t THAT shocking to hear it ^^;

About the VAs.....I grew on most of them trough the special, Ash was a bit rough, but okay, May sounded a bit too old, but the rest where good IMO ( nya...I didn´t like Brock and James, but I don´t like their old voices as well and the new VAs were trying to imitate that ones...so I guess it´s only logical ^^

Put me on the new dub-likers list, I hope there is a chance for a proper, editless german pokemon episode ( nya..we´ll see about that....)
    4 Generations - 8 Teams - 48 Pokémon - 1 Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by TeddiUrsa
    Okay, I was able to watch the whole thing today, not just some clips of it and I think EE said it best...I enjoyed it was well. It was a net suprise.

Let´s face it. almost every pokemon story is a cliché, but this was entertaining nervertheless.

I liked the action scenes as well as the sad moments. I was suprised how violent ( pokemon-wise) some scenes were, I don´t mean this in a bad way, It made the whole Mirage Mewtwo much more treatening...I just wish that the animation would have been better in some scenes..

The music was good as well, but I´m used to the japanese version, so it wasn´t THAT shocking to hear it ^^;

About the VAs.....I grew on most of them trough the special, Ash was a bit rough, but okay, May sounded a bit too old, but the rest where good IMO ( nya...I didn´t like Brock and James, but I don´t like their old voices as well and the new VAs were trying to imitate that ones...so I guess it´s only logical ^^

Put me on the new dub-likers list, I hope there is a chance for a proper, editless german pokemon episode ( nya..we´ll see about that....)
    Lol look at my sig dude!

I enjoy the new dub better too. I watched it on high quality on the internet. The animation on some parts could of been better.

Recent news from NewBrock is they only had 3 weeks to record the voices for this, so hopefully Season 9 is a big improvement.

the isn't much i can say about the mastermind of mirage pokemon except that
    i think only Max, May,Mirage Master and Misty's voices where good

i know most of you might have seem this news already but for those who didn't go to this site
    http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/

it seems like the "save the dub" has failed

Well that was on Pokemon USA's official site Pokemon.com. What they said doesn't surprise me like it does others. In most kids opinions most of it was good except for the voices so that is the majority of the responses. Kids watch the show. Also I did find a forum that is on the opposite side to you guys who have the save the dub protest. They just as bad as the complainers towards PUSA except it was the opposite way. They're a good sized site aswell. It was interesting hearing a different view. Though I won't say who it is due to respect.

If your going against that many people it makes it hard. I'm kind of in agreeance with them myself since my friend has mentioned what the VA's voiced in and now I've got a bit of confidence in them.

They just need practise.=)

Also every time I watch it it seems to get better and better. I am actually use to the voices now and am seeing some well said lines amongst the bad ones. If they took those expressions from the good lines along with them and improve on the lines they didn't do well in they should be fine.
    Last edited by The Power of Pika; 8th May 2006 at 2:07 PM.

Put together by me.

I got bored and decided to point out that the image was indeed a Dragonite. See for yourselves: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=115446

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Brain
    I got bored and decided to point out that the image was indeed a Dragonite. See for yourselves: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=115446
    Uh well yeh... Dragonite was in the episode - Bayleaf wasn't (not Ash's anyway).

End of post.

I'm with the small group I do not mind some of the new voices,... They will get better.

Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

Well, after nearly three weeks of putting this episode off... and putting it off... and putting it off... and putting it off... I FINALLY got the nerve up to watch this special. After the initial OH MY GOD!!!!! shock of the voices, I eventually started getting used to them. I had a wide range of opinions on the voices, from the awful (Ash, Combusken) to the superb (Jessie, Professor Oak). I'll give my full two cents on the voices on the appropriate discussion thread, but here's my review two cents for everything else.

-- I'm probably the only one here who liked the opening credits. Well, the Orange Islands theme is my favorite, so I'm not surprised I liked the light rap. Kudos to the producers for giving Team Rocket their best credit EVER. They should use motto images in the credits again sometime.
    -- Yes, I liked the new Professor Oak. Sue me. I thought it was a good voice for him, not to say anything against Stan Hart.
    -- Great villian in Dr. Yung. I had the feeling along the way that something was up when the doctor wasn't reappearing. I think I realized the truth right before Professor Oak gave it away.
    -- I loved Brock's running off to get Officer Jenny. I also LOL'd when he told her that she has to come to the doctor's lab immediately for a candlelight dinner.
    -- At least they didn't pull punches on the drama in this special. Instead of keeping it light all the time for little kids, they made it really suspenseful and sad, especially with Mew. Good work.
    -- The animation was subpar. Apart from the computer effects and Jessie's hair, it was like the animation took a giant step back five years.
    -- Oh, I forgot to mention a couple of quibbles. For one, I wish they'd had Corphish pokespeak. For another, the sound in this special was odd. It was like watching a season one episode. I mean, I'm used to a constant soundtrack throughout Pokemon episodes, whether it's music, lines, or pokemon noises. This episode had a lot of blank spaces in it. It's especially noticeable in scenes like where Brock slaps his hands on Officer Jenny's desk. We don't hear Team Rocket's familiar music either during their scenes, except for the motto. It was really strange.

At least the special wasn't so bad after I'd gotten into it. And I was nervous all these days for nothing. Overall, 8/10.
    Last edited by wobbanut; 19th May 2006 at 9:56 PM.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 12/18 NEW!! 12/23
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: ; playing Y and OR
    To reclaim:

Quote Originally Posted by wobbanut
    Well, after nearly three weeks of putting this episode off... and putting it off... and putting it off... and putting it off... I FINALLY got the nerve up to watch this special. After the initial OH MY GOD!!!!! shock of the voices, I eventually started getting used to them. I had a wide range of opinions on the voices, from the awful (Ash, Combusken) to the superb (Jessie, Professor Oak). I'll give my full two cents on the voices on the appropriate discussion thread, but here's my review two cents for everything else.

-- I'm probably the only one here who liked the opening credits. Well, the Orange Islands theme is my favorite, so I'm not surprised I liked the light rap. Kudos to the producers for giving Team Rocket their best credit EVER. They should use motto images in the credits again sometime.
    -- Yes, I liked the new Professor Oak. Sue me. I thought it was a good voice for him, not to say anything against Stan Hart.
    -- Great villian in Dr. Yung. I had the feeling along the way that something was up when the doctor wasn't reappearing. I think I realized the truth right before Professor Oak gave it away.
    -- I loved Brock's running off to get Officer Jenny. I also LOL'd when he told her that she has to come to the doctor's lab immediately for a candlelight dinner.
    -- At least they didn't pull punches on the drama in this special. Instead of keeping it light all the time for little kids, they made it really suspenseful and sad, especially with Mew. Good work.
    -- The animation was subpar. Apart from the computer effects and Jessie's hair, it was like the animation took a giant step back five years.

At least the special wasn't so bad after I'd gotten into it. And I was nervous all these days for nothing. Overall, 8/10.
    Woohoo!
    Someone else who liked Professor Oak's voice. I only noticed one line he said terribly which was the first line he said but he said some brilliant ones during the special. The part where he said about the "juvenile threats" was brilliant. Can't remember the whole line off the top of my head though.

I also liked the rap myself it was different and that's why I liked it but also the fact that when they said Pikachu (I think Pikachu says something at the same time not sure) it reminded me of the first series theme song from Japan where Pikachu yells it's name a few times during it.=)

I suggest watching it a few times because when you are really used to the voices you enjoy it even more. I found that what happened to me anyway. I burned it to DVDR so that's how I've watched it many times. I've watched it 23 times and so no one can say that I'm not use to the voices that's for sure. I even got myself prepared before watching the whole thing by watching a few clips before hand, a dozen times so I was use to the voices by the time I watched the whole thing.

Has anyone had a reaction like my brother to the special?
    He's the only one I know who wasn't bothered about the voices and got into the special right from the beginning and he's 23 and has watched the cartoon as long as me but was not shocked at all at the voices.
    He comes in when I put on the special and watches it with me. I think he loved it I know the first time we watched it was on Youtube but since we're on dialup it took forever to download so we watched the first 3 parts on one day and the rest the next day. I remeber he kept on asking about when I was going on Youtube to play the rest. He was definately into it first shot.

There's so much negativity and hatred on some threads I wanted to talk to someone who enjoyed it like me.

Oh yeah on first viewing I would give it a 5/10
    on second viewing it would be a 7/10
    on 23rd viewing I can say 9/10 due to the fact that I still enjoy it despite watching it many times and liked it better than the first 5 movies, Chronicles special and Mewtwo returns special that I have. That's an honest opinion. The 5 movies and specials for some reason I haven't been able to watch as much as this thing and still enjoy them to the fullest. I don't know why that is. They got boring after 10 viewings. Though this PUSA special doesn't and I still get a craving to watch it.

I hope the 6th and 7th movie are like this (I mean can be watched over and over again without becoming boring) since they're not out in Australia yet. I haven't downloaded those since I'm hoping to get them legit unlike what I did with the special so I haven't seen them.=P
    Last edited by The Power of Pika; 19th May 2006 at 12:36 PM.

Put together by me.

I kindoff like May's new voice. I can get use to it. I think it was cool that it was May who save Misty,instead of Ash. Makes you wonder what they could have talk about with each other in between the time it took them to get to were Ash was...

When did this Special Air in America? between which episodes? (Japanese episodes).

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast