Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon! (---)

I've watch this special almost 5 years ago. I thought it was okay in my opinion. I didn't mind the voice actors change, I thought they sounded similar to the original, with the exception of Ash, he didn't sound like the same.

I did like this special. I liked the ideas of mirage pokemons, it was okay. But I wonder if we'll see Dr. Yung again after this. Probably not. And what about the Mew in this special?

I wonder if the only reason Misty was in this special was because either 4kids/PUSA wanted her there? I say this because this is Misty's last appearance in the series, and they tested out a new Misty voice for no real reason, because her character never did show up ever again.

Its hard to believe its been nearly 6 years since this special aired, and this was the last time Misty ever appeared.

Well, if what's been said on the origins of this special was true it was initially just a fun 10th anniversary special and not a testing ground for the new voices.

That being said, it's not like PUSA could go to Rachael Lillis and say... oh hey, we don't need a new Misty so do you want to do it? We're still replacing you for season 9 though, sorry ^_^! Besides, when the special was dubbed there was nothing to suggest that Misty wasn't going to appear again for over 5 years.

There sometimes is no reason why they put certain characters in episodes. Like when they often bring in Zoey, Bianca or Professor Oak. It really isn't a lot of times needed. But it was just for people to remember them. That doesn't mean they should shove them in our faces.

My ideal battle ever!

Best Mirage Pokemon Moments: May saves Misty from certain death!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    Best Mirage Pokemon Moments: May saves Misty from certain death!!
    I am glad they had May save Misty rather than the other way around. It was nice to see May be the hero since at this point she was far more experienced than she was in early AG when Misty first met her.

Atleast they tried....
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I am glad they had May save Misty rather than the other way around. It was nice to see May be the hero since at this point she was far more experienced than she was in early AG when Misty first met her.
    Yes it was nice because it strengthened their friendship and when they fought along side Mewtwo, I would be indifferent to who saved who because either way they would become closer as friends with mutual respect!

Quote Originally Posted by (P.O.K.E.M.O.N.) View Post
    Atleast they tried....
    Are you referring to what I said? If so, yes they did make an attempt.

Professor Oak did not need to be in yet another movie. And yes, Cyber, it was nice of the writers actually giving May the secondary main hero role like they was supposed to have given her.

My ideal battle ever!

Thought the idea was pretty cool, the art was also pretty cool, yet the animation was very goofy. I loved the new voices (aside from Ash) I thought the voice work was a much needed change! I didn't realize just how much the original voices had been getting old. A nice fresh change really did well!

What bugged me most was that, in all the battling, nobody decide to change or just send out more of their own pokemon. There is Pikachu, near death, continuing to battle while Ash has his whole team ready to go!

Misty was also super well done in this special. She reminded me alot of her old self. This was also a refreshing change! May was cool too, which was also a nice change!

Overall, all the changes were really cool! The plot was... crazy, but all in all it was fun to watch and nice to Misty again, of course!
    Someone once told me that Misty's cameos in Advanced Generation help make it easier knowing that she is no longer a series regular. They couldn't have been more wrong. After she leaves behind Togepi she returns to her gym more alone than ever AND ON TOP OF THAT, her last cameo was in 2005. 2005!?!?!? ITS BEEN TEN YEARS SINCE ONE OF THE CAST WHO STARTED THE SHOW WAS ACTUALLY ON THE SHOW!?!?

Why do we even watch Pokemon anymore

This special is just bad imo. I didn't mind the va change much except for Ash's and Jessie's. The plot was horrible though, it felt like it was written like a bad fanfic imo. I didn't mind Misty being there, it was a nice addition tbh.
    4/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Ah, the MoMP special. I cannot believe how terrible this was. From the bad voice acting to the story it was all a lost cause imo. Misty being here was just for fanservice and wouldnt have changed at all if she weren't here. Overall, my least favorite special next to Origins.

I give it a 0/10, please avoid this special if you can, it's plain awful.

Quote Originally Posted by nuzamaki90 View Post
    I remember a few years back when I first saw this on Kids WB and thought the idea of holographic Pokemon was just stupid lol

Ash's new voice also gave me shivers. It was just so bad.

0/10 haven't watched it since
    Lol, I got it on DVD with M08 for free. I thought it was okay, but yeah agree.

Even in the TPCi re-dubbing, it was still beyond bad.
    Last edited by DarkLucarioADV; 31st July 2014 at 6:23 PM.

I remember a few years back when I first saw this on Kids WB and thought the idea of holographic Pokemon was just stupid lol

This special was...2/10
    Less said the better.

Signature Credit: The Comet
    My Tumblr

Lol on top of that the mirage Pokemon were way overpowered and pretty much like Mary Sue/Gary stu characters. It was like someone used gameshark on their Pokemon or something lol. I didn't really like the villain much either, he seemed way too generic imo and his plan to get revenge was just stupid imo lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn+Serena Fan View Post
    Lol on top of that the mirage Pokemon were way overpowered and pretty much like Mary Sue/Gary stu characters. It was like someone used gameshark on their Pokemon or something lol. I didn't really like the villain much either, he seemed way too generic imo and his plan to get revenge was just stupid imo lol.
    Exactly, I mean they seemed like hacked Pokemon but even worse imo. And that villain, oh lord even he was awful, I mean he's plain and dull imo. What fun was he? Agreed wholeheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Exactly, I mean they seemed like hacked Pokemon but even worse imo. And that villain, oh lord even he was awful, I mean he's plain and dull imo. What fun was he? Agreed wholeheartedly.
    I don't even remember who he was or what his purpose was for creating the Miragemons but man was that idea dumb. Just what would he do if the system caught a bug and the Mirage Pokemon turned on him?

I don't even remember who he was or what his purpose was for creating the Miragemons but man was that idea dumb. Just what would he do if the system caught a bug and the Mirage Pokemon turned on him?
    Basically he said real Pokemon were trash since they had elemental weaknesses, so he decided to change that by making MirageMons which were Mega Ultra Powerful. IKR? Yup, unless he had another plan to take care of that possible outcome, it could've been lights out for him, permanently.

The use of the holograms and their limitless possibilities was very stupid and the whole Mew thing was as well. But the idea of creating holograms to use as practice was a neat one!

It is true that Misty didn't have to be there. Although I LOVED seeing her back, it was just too pointless to enjoy. Hell, Ash had just as little reason to be there as Misty did.

But what I did like was that characters did have personality and they were fun to watch while not being tied up in the silly plot. I mean, Brock was hilarious and so was Misty!

But really, I did like the new voices, even though everyone else here seems to not, haha. Ash's voice however is unforgivable...
    Someone once told me that Misty's cameos in Advanced Generation help make it easier knowing that she is no longer a series regular. They couldn't have been more wrong. After she leaves behind Togepi she returns to her gym more alone than ever AND ON TOP OF THAT, her last cameo was in 2005. 2005!?!?!? ITS BEEN TEN YEARS SINCE ONE OF THE CAST WHO STARTED THE SHOW WAS ACTUALLY ON THE SHOW!?!?

Why do we even watch Pokemon anymore

Ash's voice is really bad at first but it improves as the show goes on.

Wow amount of dislike and ceriticism for this special is unbelivable. I mean i know that most voices were bad, but come on i rewatched Mastermind of Mirage pokemon spoecial few days ago and i sincerely liked it for several reasons.

Personally i enjoyed in flux of memorable, packed with tension, jokes and support interactions prevailing there between Ash and his traveling companions. With all characters being natural, authentic and enjoyable not regressing in development received in canon through regular anime or chronicles prior to that.

I actually liked writer idea of taking look at pokemon world from different corner. In giving us insight in what appeared to be renowned scientist who was expelled from pokemon research institute because of cruel and questionable methods. Showing how behind pleasant, polite exterior is hiding socipath, megalomaniac in search for revenge, power and respect being cruel and evil to the point of not having redeemable qualities(aka Hunter J).

It was certainly more original and creative than typical overused concept of villains using devices to control pokemon to do things against their will, or cliched route of dividing things in black and white when it comes to villains making clear separation between "good" and "bad" coming of as flat, one dimensional characters.

With dr. Yung coming of as grey character who changed for worse after riducule and humiliation he went through becoming corrupted and bittered.

I also welcomed conceotion behind using collected DNA from all living creatures inserting them in virtual form trying through revolutionary technology to create perfect pokemon without flaws. Reminding me of Digimon anime and whole data, holographic features coming to life.

At least to me it seemed like fresh and untried plot in pokemon anime until than.

Wholeheartedly recommending this special for anyone who is looking for good action, innovative ideas which you dont meet every day and genuinely dynamic interactions between characters.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Ah, the MoMP special. I cannot believe how terrible this was. From the bad voice acting to the story it was all a lost cause imo. Misty being here was just for fanservice and wouldnt have changed at all if she weren't here. Overall, my least favorite special next to Origins.

I give it a 0/10, please avoid this special if you can, it's plain awful.
    I actually enjoyed in Mastermind of Mirage pokemon special and i also beg to differ on Misty playing no relevance there.

Purpose behind this special was to mark 10 years of pokemon franxhise existence, reuniting all of part and current traveling companions at one place doing big reunion.

Not to mention i dont know about you guys but Misty played biggest role in that special next to Ash. She challenged dr. Yung battling with his mirage pokemon, she went with Ash to castle to free prof. Oak from Yung captivity.
    Along with having nice bonding moments with May when her life was saved strengthening on friendship, later battling horde of dr. Doom (basically masked Yung)mirage pokemon and overpowered Mewtwo with her gyarados.

Not to mention aside from change of voice which did bothered me Misty was highly entertaining(in most cases she is, but still). With her playful, sarcastic and spunky nature teasing Ash, being irked at Brock girl chasing tendencies, and mature having competitive spirit in her demonstrating how to aproach urgent situations in assertive, levelheaded way.
    She delivered more continuity, humor and excitement to plot which wouldnpt been nearly as fun without her included imho.Asw well opportunity to see some update on her strengthening storyline.

In general i appreciated creation of Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special if anything than because of intention present behind it. Something what truly counts.
    Pokemon USA in cooperation with Japanese writers and producers wanted to reward fans for loyalty through reunion of all Ash friends, mark 10th anniversarry in appropriate movie like way, and pay attention to continuity, history and previous characters strengthening series plot and message about unbreakable bond which ties Ash with all his friends with their impact, dreams and legacy left on anime being remembered and acknowledged.

Something which stopped being practice in regular pokemon anime long, long time ago. For that reason alone i can respect and appreciate effort and time dedicated in producing this.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 31st July 2014 at 7:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Ash's voice is really bad at first but it improves as the show goes on.
    Yeah. At first I hated the new voices but as time went on the VAs became comfortable and grew into their own in their roles.

Signature Credit: The Comet
    My Tumblr

Haha, look at all of you squirming at the shitty dub voices. Thank god there's an English sub for this. At least the Japanese team knew what they were doing, keeping the old voices.

So glad to see Kasumi return... even if she's still portrayed as a weak-*** trainer damsel in distress. Hell, the whole scene with Haruka saving her was a blatant jab against Kasaumi and her fans by saying that "GET OVER IT, HARUKA IS REPLACING HER!". Jeez. Where the hell is her Gyarados? And wouldn't Kasumi be sensible enough to take back her Starmie from her sister, considering that she's accepted a battle proposal? Why the hell did she use one of her weakest Pokemon ever? Right, because **** logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Haha, look at all of you squirming at the shitty dub voices. Thank god there's an English sub for this. At least the Japanese team knew what they were doing, keeping the old voices.

So glad to see Kasumi return... even if she's still portrayed as a weak-*** trainer damsel in distress. Hell, the whole scene with Haruka saving her was a blatant jab against Kasaumi and her fans by saying that "GET OVER IT, HARUKA IS REPLACING HER!". Jeez. Where the hell is her Gyarados? And wouldn't Kasumi be sensible enough to take back her Starmie from her sister, considering that she's accepted a battle proposal? Why the hell did she use one of her weakest Pokemon ever? Right, because **** logic.
    To me she didn't seemed that way. Misty was portrayed as tough, headstrong character who wasn't safraid to say what she thinks and take charge in resolving problems not lowering her guard infront of others. Showing sassy feisty nature in arguing with Ash, Brock obsession oer opposite gender, dr. Doom etc brimming with pride and confidence in her abilities.

I mean when Ash went to castle to free prof. Oak she didn't stayed behind but decided to be part of action, took charge in finding Ash and others helping them out when meeting up with May , entered battle with dr. Yung filled with overconfidence thinking she cannot lose etc.

Whole scene of May saving her life was meant to symbolize good friendship present between two girls with urgent moments like this strengthening on that(although ill be honest i always thought it was mistake to replace character with such rich personality, sense of awareness and strong attitude not backing down to challenge like Misty leaving lot of potential to do more wuth her water master career, pokemlon, quite sad past of growing without parents etc unexplored, finding Hoenn would've been better if she got kept).

Agree over being questionable in Misty not bringing Starmie with her. That thing is a beast in games, but it showed quite a few times in anime too how powerful it can be posessing wide range of techniqies, strong moves and agility making for formidable force. However i think choice of bringing rather Staryu has to do more with personal attachment and big care showed toward this pokemon, with Misty more than once revealing her preference to it.

Not to mention based on all that training, battles Staryu participated in showing impressive dexterity, speed and strength of its attacks(i mean it was holding its own ground against double powered Mantine from Molly n third movie, while all Brock pokemon in comparison quickly fell down in facing mirage pokemon or defeating Tentacruel from Marina with just one attack)). I really wouldn't be surprised that Staryu despite being pre evolved form is stronger than Starmie. Especially when knowing Misty sisters i doubt they trained it much while she was on journey with Ash.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718