Thread: Worst Memories from GSC

Default Worst Memories from GSC

"It was the best of times,
    It was the worst of times."

It seems that is our relationship with Pokemon sometimes!

We all have had those superDduper frustrating moments!

Mine are when I stumbled across a shiny Oddish but didn't have any Pokeballs in my bag! (and sadly soft reseting didn't help :P)

Another was during my first play-thru of the game I could not for the life of me figure out how to get through the Ice Path. I must have been stuck in there for months! lol (but hey, I was only like 7 yrs old)

And, of course, many of us have lost our beloved save files to dry batteries- which can be a nothing short of a tragedy if your team that you had grinded up to lvl 100 (and invested hours and hours into them EV training and move breeding) is poof* suddenly gone. -_-

So, what are your most frustrating memories from the metal generation?
    Vent below ;)
    Sage Chow sent out Bellsprout!
    #BLUECOLLARGOLDSWAGGER

Let's see:

- Failing at catching a shiny Pidgeotto because it used Whirlwind to cancel the battle
    - Realizing Lugia/Ho-Oh couldn't learn Aeroblast/Sacred Fire in Crystal
    - Trying to make a new team in Crystal but failing due to low motivation and lack of good places to train

Those are the ones I can think of, and they are pretty minor. My very worst moment though, is perhaps not from the time when the games were new but from a later point. And that is when I realized that these games aren't the flawless pieces of perfection that the fandom and various media often makes them out to be, but rather highly flawed and imperfect games. I'm not sure when this occured to me but it was at some point during the later generations. I could write more about this but I'm not sure if it is relevant to the thread (and it is more relevant to apply this criticism to HG/SS rather than G/S/C as I did enjoy G/S/C when they were new, despite their flaws).

I don't have that many bad memories from G/S/C tbh. I did accidentally make Suicune faint in Gold though and the day my main Silver version's internal battery died still haunts me to be frank. Also, I never completed my Crystal's Dex due to losing my Link Cable. :c

The first thing that comes to mind is how I wasted my Master Ball on Gold on an ordinary Ponyta. I was just very worried about it breaking out of all my Ultra Balls, and I honestly thought I'd be able to buy more Master Balls. I remember how disappointed I was when I actually went to every mart in the game and didn't find any for sale. :P

Also on Gold, missing out on these Pokemon:
    -Entei: Surfed it to death, didn't know it was Fire type
    -Ho-Oh: came totally unprepared and with a very weak team
    -Snorlax: my active PC box was full and I thought, "whatever, I'll never regret not catching a Snorlax"! >__> -__-

My batteries dying in both Crystal and Silver versions . I'm going to miss all of the Pokémon that I caught in them. Wish I would have had a chance to transfer them. Now I can't and I'm not able to replace the batteries either, since there's no repair shop in the area that can do so.
    Looking forward to the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Will be training up the shiny Abra I have that's named Robin in honor of you. May you R.I.P.

Level grinding in Gold/Silver/Crystal has always been my worst memory.Also,Johto Gym Leaders' teams were very boring-why doesn't Morty use Misdreavus,for example?Kanto is an empty shell without a single Generation I legendary,and the lack of dungeon-like areas(namely Seafoam Islands and Cerulean Cave) was disappointing as well.

I concur with level grinding. You grind to beat Morty by fighting nearby level 15 wild pokemon. You grind to beat Claire by fighting nearby level 20 pokemon. There's just no ramp for wild pokemon levels, they're all so terribly low resulting in you either grinding forever in a day to reach level 40, or you hanging on by the skin of your teeth, then trying to get through victory road with a woefully unprepared team.

And then there's Victory Road's requirement to have every single HM (If I recall correctly, I usually get bored of grinding and stop playing by that point).

The thing I hated the most about these games were the fact that the highest Pokemon in the game were in the 40's. That's not very high att all. And then...to beat Red, you had to literally grind. lol.

"Small but Brave! Keldeo the Hero!!"

3DS FC- 4141-3093-5467

FS- Flying Safari- Hawlucha,Woobat,Spearow

Please add me to your Friend Roster!

Ice Path as a kid was torture -_-
    Other than that...nuzlocking this game is a nightmare because the wild Pokemon are so low leveled.

Right, my post here was deleted after the crash.

Worst memory from Gold was killing Ho-Oh and Raikou (or Entei...I can't remember) permanently instead of capturing them like you were supposed to. I ended up saving my game AFTER I killed them, so there was no chances of the Pokemon respawning.
    In Crystal, I ended up using my Master Ball on Suicune when I could've used it for something else. xD

Image by もちづき
    ...Your tender smile and our petty squabbles...
    Just how much are all those supposed to have toughened me up?

Hey everyone, that's an interesting thread

Here is my list: (with ranking)
    1. Ho-Oh cannot learn Sacred Fire and Lugia cannot learn Aeroblast
    2. Mewtwo cannot be captured
    3. Heracross glitch (spend 1 hour to find 'special tree')
    4. Realizing there is no reward to capture all unown (which I spend around 2 hours to find all unown)

BTW I once used a Poke ball to capture a full-healed Entei That's my best memory
    The world is so nice, I think we shouldn't steal any Pokemon from now on~

My game just stopped working one day. After playing for a few minutes, my Game Boy turned itself off. Eventually it turned off as soon as I turned it on. I wasn't even all the way through. I was at Ice Path (fortunately though, HGSS came around later). It was a problem with the game itself and not the Game Boy, because other games worked fine.

My worst memories for GSC was the Shiny thing and not having any Pokeballs, to this day I remember being little playing Silver version on the Super Nintendo's Gameboy Cartridge or whatever and I ran into a Shiny Magikarp in the Dragons Den! I remember only having the masterball in my inventory, so I soft ressetted, going ALL THE WAY BACK to where I was at, at the lake of Rage.

Days without 3DS:
    45 and counting
    GOAL: To have a bigger trade shop than varanus_komodoensis & Zold :3
    I have Alpha Sapphire, but my 3DS is broken and I am waiting to receive it repaired.

Loosing against Ethan :P

Currently looking for a 6IV Pichu or Pikachu in a standard Pokeball with the egg move Volt Tackle, PM me and I'll provide what I can

As this is my favorite generation, I don't seem to have a bad memory... it was pure and simple childhood bliss. If I had to choose something, I would say Whitney. Generally, Pokémon was simple and easy to beat, but she certainly proved to be a challenge. Being young, I also had trouble evolving my Eevee into Espeon, which was frustrating.
    Pokémon X BadgeQuest 🌟 Playthrough

Soft Reset|Soft Reset|Horde Encounter|Mesuda Method|Mesuda Method|Mesuda Method

No way someone can have bad memories about GSC!

But I think the worst part was trying to level up for the E4 in Victory Road. Battling Lv27 Gravelers was not the fastest way to get my team into Lv45 or something...

And also when I realized the internal battery of my Silver version went out... it was like watching it die... really sad

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8099-9870 - Nuno

Super Secret Base | Double Battles | QR Code

Beta Competition Masters Division: W25 L9 - Rating 1736 - Ranking 100th
    June International Challenge Masters Division: W10 L7 - Rating 1544 - Ranking 2784th

Overall WiFi Double Battle Record: W48 L20

Whitney's Miltank and trying to beat the Kanto Gym Leaders (particularly Blue and Misty) and Red. I did not have any friends who had GSC and no extra Gameboy or Link Cable to trade. Clair was also pretty difficult for me but not as much as Whitney's evil Miltank's Attract.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!" Watchy Watchog

Milktank, kingdra, snorlax if compititive, grinding being a pain in da bawls.

Otherwise, godly games, godly pokemon, godly sprites, godly generation overall.

I could understand the pain of games not working anymore. But I really don't. My Gold and Crystal still play like a charm (as well as my Red version). My Game Boy Color is pretty hammered but still playable without music or the B button.

Anyway, the worst memory I had was Whitney. How I hated that crying redhead. And her Miltank. Ridiculous how her Miltank was always faster than every single pokemon I had. The first time I beat her was with the Machop I got for trade from the kid inside Goldenrod Dept. Store. I had a new found respect for fighting pokemon after that.
    LOOKING FOR ITEMS? I GOT YOU COVERED
    For those still playing 4th Gen: Tired of searching the wild for held items? Hit me up. Shards, Stones, Lights Balls, even Soul Dews. Also offering every Non Legendary for your Pokedex Completion. PM me with Offers and Requests

I HAVE CLAIMED BAHAMUT, KING OF SUMMONS
    FC 1550 8079 7411

That would probably be last night when after 14 years of gameplay, 200 species seen, 8 Kanto badges, over 100 hours of gameplay, like 6 leaf stones from the girl on route 34, Lugia caught in an Ultra ball, I logged into my Crystal game and it said "Are you a boy or a girl?"

RIP Typhlosion Lv. 66 Hall of Famer 2001-2014
    RIP Feraligatr Lv. 59 Hall of Famer 2004-2014 (Only started using in 2012)
    RIP Jynx Lv. 55 Hall of Famer 2004-2014 (Only started using in 2012)
    RIP Umbreon Lv. Late 30's 2013-2014 (Only evolved after the Indigo Plateau.)
    Last edited by Maserati777; 8th December 2014 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maserati777 View Post
    That would probably be last night when after 14 years of gameplay, 200 species seen, 8 Kanto badges, over 100 hours of gameplay, like 6 leaf stones from the girl on route 34, Lugia caught in an Ultra ball, I logged into my Crystal game and it said "Are you a boy or a girl?"

RIP Typhlosion Lv. 66 Hall of Famer 2001-2014
    RIP Feraligatr Lv. 59 Hall of Famer 2004-2014 (Only started using in 2012)
    RIP Jynx Lv. 55 Hall of Famer 2004-2014 (Only started using in 2012)
    RIP Umbreon Lv. Late 30's 2013-2014 (Only evolved after the Indigo Plateau.)
    Yeah, losing your saved data sucks. Reminds me of when my Crystal's internal battery died...even though I didn't put in as much time into that game compared to my Gold version, I was still upset when I lost my Crystal save. Out of my three GSC games, I think my Crystal had the best designed team, so losing it was definitely a bad memory for me.

I am not looking forward to the day when my Gold's battery finally dies... ;__;