Page 1 of 88 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Maddie Blaustein - Q&A with Meowth

Default Ask Maddie Blaustein - Q&A with Meowth

Ask Maddie Blaustein

Maddie Blaustein, best known around these parts as the voice of Meowth among many other characters, has kindly agreed to be here and answer questions put forward by you, the fans.

A Few Ground Rules

• No More than 2 Questions per post if possible
    • Try to keep the questions relevant to Maddie
    • Please do not post to repeat your question if Maddie has chosen not to answer
    • Please do not repeat a question that has already been asked
    • Please do not necessarily post another question if you have already posted one before Maddie has had a chance to look at it
    • Please be courteous and don't overdo it, Maddie has taken time out of her schedule to be here and may not get chances to answer every question

Thanks Maddie for agreeing to this

Which Meowth? Old or new?

End of post.

Maddie has voiced Meowth since Episode 29 up until the end of Pokémon Advanced Battle and all 8 movies

If anybody breaks the rules of this thread don't expect me or anyone to go lenient on them. Maddie has agreed to this out of the goodness of her heart, for the fans. If you guys screw it up and start abusing this thread then I will come down on you. Hard. We're lucky to have *one* VA come here, nevermind three. (You probably already scared NewBrock off.)

So I have a question: Overall, do you like playing as meowth? Like, was it fun?(If i'm not supposed to post it here, tell me. As in the question to ask......)
    ...Yo.

Not much to say about me, except that I'm back after being gone for a long time, and no one knows who I am. xD

Hoping to get back into serebii forums, yayz

Ya know, Joe I was going to suggest this in the thread. You like read my mind. Anyway, here are my two questions for everyone's favorite feline. Actually..isn't that Garfield? No wait, it's Meowth. Gotta be.

Okay, my two questions are:

1.) Maddie, how does the dubbing process work? Did you get the Japanese version and the writers translate it? I guess they do that ansd you go into a studio like an actor would for any other cartoon.

2.) Have you or anyone on the cast met your Japanese counterparts? From what I understand, the Japanese Meowth is quite poetic. Doesn't have the same feel as the Brookyln brwalin' Meowth but then again I don't understand Japanese.

Thanks for your time and thank you for visiting SPPf. It's a fun place and I hope you stick around!

LX

Edit: Same goes for me, Fonzie. Though I can't do anything about it.
    I am the author of the webcomic, Starbolts and host of the comic review show, Comic Showcase. Please check out the action here: http://starbolts.blogspot.com

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/cferra1227

Although I am not much of an anime fan, I've always been wondering about a couple of things.

1) What influences did you have when "creating" Meowth's voice? Was it just the director or were you allowed to import a personal tone too?

2) How many hours does it take for the dubbing of an episode in general?

Glad to have you with us.
    Webmaster of www.legendarypokemon.net
    Disable signature viewing today!

Quote Originally Posted by pharaohguy530
    So I have a question: Overall, do you like playing as meowth? Like, was it fun?(If i'm not supposed to post it here, tell me. As in the question to ask......)

Meowth has been a nonstop joy to voice for 8 solid years I loved every minute of being Meowth!

Hmm, this is cool. I have a few questions:

1) In all the episodes you have dubbed Meowth in, which was your favourite to dub and for what reason?

2) Is there any interesting background as to how you came to dub in Pokemon?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

1.) Assuming you've had the chance to listen to a few of them, what are your opinions of Meowth's voice in various other languages? Have any of them influenced your portrayl of the character in any way?

2.) What are your feelings regarding Team Rocket's purpose on the show? Do you think they work as comic relief characters, or do you feel that, as the main villains they need to have more sinister moments/successes?

And, this is more of a general knowledge type of question but...who on earth voices Wobbuffet? Despite the fact it only says it's name, they do an awesome job of capturing it's character. I'd like to thank them for a job well done

Quote Originally Posted by Ledian_X
    1.) Maddie, how does the dubbing process work? Did you get the Japanese version and the writers translate it? I guess they do that ansd you go into a studio like an actor would for any other cartoon.
    The Japanese scripts are translated and then refined by a script-writer who carefully makes sure that the new script matches up with the lip-flap as best they can.

Then the scripts are given to the director who casts any remaining filler parts.

By the time I get the script it's polished to it's final draft, and the director tells the "talent" (that's what they call us) what the episode is about and what the character arcs are.

Then --I pretty much go to town! When the director wants a different read from me he'll ask --but after 8 years of doing Meowth, I pretty much get it right the first time I read it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ledian_X
    2.) Have you or anyone on the cast met your Japanese counterparts? From what I understand, the Japanese Meowth is quite poetic. Doesn't have the same feel as the Brookyln brwalin' Meowth but then again I don't understand Japanese..
    I have never met Inuyama Inuko, but I have always tried to make my Meowth and her Meowth scream the same For whatever reason it was decided from the beginning to make Meowth in America a real wiseguy Brooklyn type. Since I actually live in Brooklyn --it was pretty easy for me to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Arty2
    Although I am not much of an anime fan, I've always been wondering about a couple of things.

1) What influences did you have when "creating" Meowth's voice? Was it just the director or were you allowed to import a personal tone too?

2) How many hours does it take for the dubbing of an episode in general?

Glad to have you with us.
    1) My influences on Meowth start with Bugs Bunny, Joe Pesci and Shirley Booth from the old TV show Hazel.

2) Depends on the episode. I'm usually booked for a couple of hours.

Wow! One of the VAs... Here? This is so awesome... ^o^ Ok, here are my questions...

1) I heard the audio commentary on the 4th movie, Pokémon 4 Ever... And there you said you also hear the Japanese version of the show. Do you look up to anyone that does the voices there?

2) What would your advice be for someone who aspires to become a voice actor? *coughmecough*

Wow, I can't say how excited I am... I hope you stick around! ^^ I heard you like to know what the fans think... *Bill's voice comes to mind* Feel free to PM or e-mail me!

I'm sounding like a silly stalker, I know... -_-;;;

And now, the amazing dancing Zoroark!

...Well, fudge.

A Q and A with one of the voice actors...nice.

I have a couple.
    1. In the early parts of the series Meowth had a lot of "Meowthisms". However, after you took over you did them less and basically stopped by the end of Kanto. What was the reason(s) for that?

2. What's next for you now that Pokemon has been handed over to PUSA?

Glad to be able to get some feedback from an insider and I hope you enjoy your membership here. Now if only we could get NewBrock to do one of these.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    1.) Assuming you've had the chance to listen to a few of them, what are your opinions of Meowth's voice in various other languages? Have any of them influenced your portrayl of the character in any way?

2.) What are your feelings regarding Team Rocket's purpose on the show? Do you think they work as comic relief characters, or do you feel that, as the main villains they need to have more sinister moments/successes?

And, this is more of a general knowledge type of question but...who on earth voices Wobbuffet? Despite the fact it only says it's name, they do an awesome job of capturing it's character. I'd like to thank them for a job well done

1) I've only heard them --never seen them to picture, so I can't judge how well they match flap --but they all make me laugh. The one from Israel sounds like Jerry Lewis to me , and the German one sounds particularly mean.

2) Team Rocket are the good guys. The Twerps are the villains. Duh.

Wobbuffet is voiced by Kazie Rogers (who happens to be a former student of mine!)

Quote Originally Posted by maddiejoan
    I have never met Inuyama Inuko, but I have always tried to make my Meowth and her Meowth scream the same For whatever reason it was decided from the beginning to make Meowth in America a real wiseguy Brooklyn type. Since I actually live in Brooklyn --it was pretty easy for me to do!
    XD!

I remember you saying that from the Pokemon 4ever commentary when someone, I think Norman, brought up how different Japanese Meowth was to his western counterpart.

"Western Meowth looks up at the moon and wonders if it's made of cheese" XD

Hi Maddie, I think you do an awesome job at Meowth's voice!
    -I have questions,

1) What other character's have you voiced in Pokemon and other shows?
    2) Is it possible to get your digital autograph? I want your autograph. Sorry If im not allowed to ask.

Me miss May and Max
    I was formely known as ~Elite Frontier~

1. I recall you saying that the outcry to "Legend of Thunder" made 4kids cast Harley correctly.

However there are some good Team Rocket episodes in that "Chronicles" series, but us Americans never got that series. Do you happen to know why Pokemon Chronicles was only aired in the UK, and this series never came out in the U.S, even on DVD? I'm curious.

2. There was one episode where Meowth dressed up as May, did you have a fun time trying to be 10 year old May as a coordinator?

Just one question for me.

- Since no one ever knows if something's going to be a hit, what was your reaction when you discovered the show you were working on was not only the most popular thing in the states, but pretty much the world?
    || The stars rule men, but God rules the stars. ||

OWNER OF THE CHRISTIAN ALLIANCE
    Cartoon Bish; Soundwave

I think it's really great that you're taking time to talk to the fans, it's not every actress who would do that! I've loved your portrayal of Meowth through the years, he's one of the best characters and I'll miss his voice terribly.
    I also liked your Bill and Seymour voices, I wish we had got to see them a second time.

Here are my questions.

1. What was your favorite episode to act in or watch?

2. Er, this is kind of a stupid question, but do you support any shippings? I've always wanted to ask the actors what they thought about it, but I never imagined I'd actually get to ask

Quote Originally Posted by maddiejoan
    2) Team Rocket are the good guys. The Twerps are the villains. Duh.
    LOL!

whoa!!!!! THIS IS BIG!!!!! AND IT's HAPPENING NOW!!!

My own sources are telling me that right now TODAY!!!!...., Negotiations between CN and PUSA are underway.

That means there is no time to lose!

Please, if the old cast means anything to you write to these e-mail addresses PRONTO!
    I am convinced if the two guys below are flooded with e-mail from fans who want the old cast back that the impossible can happen and the old cast will be restored!!

Contact Mark.Norman@turner.com and Bob.Higgins@turner.com immediately.

No really stop reading the forums and do it now!

Wow! Maddie Blaustein is here! I'm honored! Okay, I have two questions for you:

Q#1: Why are you sometimes credited as Adam Blaustein?

Q#2: If you could bring one of your old characters back to the show, which would it be?

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to answer our questions.

Edit: I just saw the links you posted, and now those people have two new e-mails from this little upset elf.
    Last edited by Fez the Mysfit Elf; 1st May 2006 at 6:05 PM.

Great News X 2!

#1) Did you voice Meowth in Boots

#2) Yeah, this is common knowledge but I don't check for who-voiced-who? Didn't you voice Max or am I just thinking that?

I'll look into mailing the Yahoo's later. Its my lunch break.

Oh and keep in mind they will probably just ignore any "Lolz Bring bak teh ole Va'z!" Give good reasons to keep them on the show like "Veronica Taylors May matches well with her character"
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

Maddie I have already sent e-mails to both those guys about the old cast, I encourage everyone here to do the same!

O_______________O

This. Is. So. Cool.

Woah, you're from Brooklyn? O.o I'm in Long Island! XD cool cool.

I just have one simple question:

- If you would choose any other character but Meowth to play his/her voice, who would it be? (Characters or Pokemon, doesn't matter)

This is just too cool O_____O

*Drunkrabbitdance*

lol, don't ask about the Drunkrabbitdance. Something I made up

~Timid Kyogre

Page 1 of 88 123451151 ... LastLast