Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Reasoning for people to start playing the TCG again

Because playing the TGCO demo made me miss the game. That and it is cheap to play.
    Current team

GILLIG - 2451 1382 0466 (Please PM/comment me so I can add you back!) My goal is to fill my pal pad!

I started playing and buying the tcg stuff because i had gotten back into the anime and i wanted to get some cards. Simple as that.
    BLACK FRIEND CODE :1077 4097 9449
    Current runs: Cecil only run of ff4,fighter only run of ff1 and a 6 heart run of skyward sword.
    78% Pokémaniac! If Pokémon wasn't here, your life would be very different. You're probably addicted to the Pokémon games and try to get new ones as soon as you can, watch the animé every time and think about Pokémon all day. Yet, something probably gets in the way between you and Pokémon that prevents you from confusing this world and the Pokémon world.
    HG nuzlocke run team:butterfree

I used to just collect, and then had a quick go around Stormfront. But I live in Ireland and there are no tournaments around here.
    Lollipop Guild Representin'

I chose this as my starter in FireRed when it first came out . I still have him on my SoulSilver , and he is Lv.100 and I will never trade him away.

I got tired of yugioh and it's loop decks.

I also prefer the environment with pokemon. You can chill at league or compete if you want. Yugioh doesn't have as much casual play and players are much more competitive. I also like it because it is significantly cheaper to play a good deck. I think my current deck cost me about 40$ to make and it is a very good deck.

I play Pokémon TCG since Base Set (proud owner of the full collection - took me God knows what to get them all) and I have had my ons and offs mainly because I'm from Portugal which means nobody plays this and there are no tournaments and no events for Pokémon. So, when I found out that they were making an online game I started playing again and it's like coming back a few years. Too bad I can't reproduce my old decks (with my beautiful Salamence EX) but I've been having a great time, specially since I can buy codes for 5 times less money than a booster.

I did no more than collecting during the Platinum editions (I'm still trying to get them all complete) but I haven't played since the first EX series. Now they're back! Time to play!

PS: Hope they can get the trading back soon as well as making some tournaments.

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8099-9870 - Nuno

Super Secret Base | Double Battles | QR Code

Beta Competition Masters Division: W25 L9 - Rating 1736 - Ranking 100th
    June International Challenge Masters Division: W10 L7 - Rating 1544 - Ranking 2784th

Overall WiFi Double Battle Record: W48 L20

I've never played seriously. I've only bought Theme Decks (from EX series only) to get enough Energy cards and, well, just to have something basic around so I could play with friends. Unfortunately, I've had no friends who are interested in TCG and there's no leagues or anything around here. But! I was in a small con this weekend and there were Pokémon TCG players there and I kinda got my enthusiasm back. We have sometimes talked with my boyfriend how we should play with my old cards and stuff but not done it. Now we both are rather interested with "starting again" and we are going to buy new BW Theme Decks and start playing with all new cards and stuff. But we have to re-learn the rules and play some trial rounds with the old cards before buying new ones We are not going to go serious and buy boosters and stuff but play with friends and just to have fun.

I really want to get into it, I have got a couple of B/W decks that I got a few months ago and I want to start collecting Noble Victories

The only thing is I have nobody to play against and there is no leagues in my area or anything which sucks.

3DS friend code: 1478-4001-3509

I would love to link up with people!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    It's a whole new world we live in,
    It's a whole new way to see,
    It's a whole new place,
    With a brand new attitude
    But you still gotta catch 'em all
    And be the best that you can be!

My friends and I were at a classic car show a while back and during one of our rounds we decided to stop inside the local game shop to browse their wares and get out of the heat. After some really weird conversations, the revelation that we all had money, and the realization that were all bored, we all decided to buy a couple starter decks and play matches against each other to pass the time. We were all happy to discover that the game hadn't changed much since the last we played, and now we've begun bringing the cards to each other's houses and having matches against each other.

I've looked into leagues, and while there is a few in my area, I probably won't have the time to go with college starting up again soon. I do look forward to and enjoy the times I get to play with my friends though, and maybe one day I'll have the time swing by and check out a league.
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/30nc01x.png[/IMG]

PASBL
    | Clock shop on Hiatus | Tumblr
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/swtmiw.gif[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Ding Ding Sparkle Sparkle:

For me it's the collecting aspect of the game that appeals to me. Yes I'll play games and compete but I like collecting things, it gives me a sense of accomplishment and excitement filling up my collection.

I left the TCG around the Next Destinies - Dark Explorers time. Now seeing the TCGO I'm planning on getting back into it soon. Not the TCG though, the TCGO. The TCG is just pretty damn expensive if you play competitively, which I did. It can also be a pain carrying binders of cards around, making it to the tournaments, etc;

One thing I saw a few days ago that kinda put me back on the fence is this new card I had never seen before. I forget the name, but when the guy played it the other player had to guess the friggin height of a pokemon. Like, seriously? The heck nintendo. Cards like that one basically say "Hey everyone come play the Pokemon card game! It takes no skill at all!"

If you've ever been frustrated at not having a good deck

pokecards

^Since everything is online nowadays, decklists, tournament play videos (regionals, cities, states, nationals, worlds, etc), I also typed up and tested a couple of cheap lists for tournament play in the fix my deck thread(s), if you have any questions about lists I'll try and either net deck the best list I can find or type it out myself, as well as the rest of the community doesn't mind helping people get good at the game and test, test, test.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

My main game (Naruto CCG) died last year, so I switched from very casually playing this game to making it my main card game. I don't like yugioh and I don't want to get into MTG. I want to get into Weiss Schwartz but it isn't catching on in my area and there is no where to buy or play the game. That and the English game only has 1 anime I am familiar with and it's because I started watching it after my friend got interested in Weiss Schwartz.
    Latest shiny:

found in Friend Safari

Yugioh is too complicated for me by far. Also, MTG doesn't appeal to me, and besides that, I don't like Vanguard. I might pick up some Pokemon boosters if/when I get the chance in a few days, more out of curiosity then anything. Yeah, hearing about how cheap it is to get a competitive deck for it as well makes me reconsider it perhaps a small bit as well.
    I have claimed (Rampardos)!
    3DS Friend Code: 1418-6701-0126

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrantrum View Post
    Yugioh is too complicated for me by far. Also, MTG doesn't appeal to me, and besides that, I don't like Vanguard. I might pick up some Pokemon boosters if/when I get the chance in a few days, more out of curiosity then anything. Yeah, hearing about how cheap it is to get a competitive deck for it as well makes me reconsider it perhaps a small bit as well.
    Coming from someone who had to buy most of the cards in her deck...it isn't always cheap.

Now, I got back into the Pokemon Card game isn't because of another game going out or something. I never liked Yugioh, and Magic seems to expensive and complicated to me.

When I was young (and I mean YOUNG), I use to play the card game at a league. At Toys R Us and Books-A-Million. This was still when Wizards owned Pokemon. But...after a while, we just stopped. Everything stopped, even the collecting.

I was watching videos on Youtube when I learned I could win a trip to cool places like Hawaii. That was why I got into the game.
    Then, I found (probably) the most famous Poketuber when it comes to the card game, theJWittz. Sadly, he no longer does the series Prof-It, but that is what got me fully back into the game.

I managed to find a League in my area, and made some great friends. It almost crumbled forever when my League retired, but a friend from a pre-release introduced me to her league a little was away. I once again made great friends, and will slowly learn more and more.

Already been to Cities and States once, so I already had a bit of competitive games. And watching the Live Stream on Twitch a few days ago made my heart flaring. More so than the video game, which I find harder to grasp and a little to out of my grasp.

If you guys are really interested in playing the game, but don't have much of the money, then buy maybe one or two packs for now, and use those code cards to actually go into the TCG Online. That way, you'll learn a little quicker and easier. You don't have to have a league in your area. I didn't for a few years, but I went to States as if I have. You can test decks out (even if you happen to get them through trades and such, which seems to be not so hard) So that you don't have to pay a lot of money to find out it isn't your type of deck.

Have fun, everyone. :3

I never was into the card game, because I've never known anyone who played it, but I used to collect the cards as a kid (stuff from the first few original sets). I did play the TCG game on the GBC, though, which was pretty fun.

I remember trying out the TCG Online a few years ago, kind of short after it released, but it didn't really manage to hold my interest and I quit playing after a day or two.

But last month I decided to give the TCGO another try (was getting a bit bored of Hearthstone), and I'm really liking it now. There's a good collection of cards available, easy to play against other people and the community is pretty good (except for the greedy traders looking to rip off any and every one who isn't aware of the exact prices of cards). With the recent update it's become really easy for new players to get more cards fast and get a way into the trading scene without having to spend real money on packs/codes.

The only thing I'm not really fond of with the Pokémon TCG is the strange decision of getting rid of the concept of evolution with EX cards. I don't really understand why they would do that. Why should people be able to play a Venusaur EX right off the bat when a regular Venusaur needs to evolve from Bulbasaur and Ivysaur, and on top of that it gets more HP and more powerful moves than a regular Venusaur too!? Then there's your legendary EXes, because plain legendaries apparently aren't powerful enough (they are, though), I just don't get it.
    But oh well, I just love making decks around the Pokémon I like. It's got that edge over Yu-Gi-Oh for me, which I do like, but it just doesn't beat the feeling of building a Pokémon party and play with your favourites.

Actually evo decks are pretty decent regardless, basics are just faster to play

We had star pokemon then SP, the concept of playing evo pokemon out as basics and giving them more speed and power has been long running in the pokemon tcg.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

I played the TCG when I was very young. Me and my sister would go and build decks from the cards we have and battle each other int he house our outdoors with a neighbor kid. Those are some fine memories there, since we don't have the handheld games at that time.

It gets forgotten and then collecting YGO cards after seeing my very first card art I like (Queen's Double). However, when walking in to the community college, there's a herd of people who are into that and I wanted to start. (BTW I watched the complete seasons of the YGO anime before it switches a new protagonist. BUT... The people who had pretty good decks invest a whole lot of money and whoop my butt on my Magician deck. (Full of favorites and structured from a theme deck.) I gave up after being frustrated and had to focus on college, art and the occasional RPing.

Also to boot I gave away my suitcase full of super old cards to a friend since I need to make room and lost interest....

Until the moment I got back into Pokemon thanks to the Espurr meme and wanted Espurr stuff. (Which would cost a lot, so one plushie is enough...) I decided to get the Mystic Typhoon deck because of these Pokemon, and that it would be easy to get back into it if I got a theme deck. Took me a few days to play the TCGO and use my code. By the same month I got the deck I broke my ankle. ;_; I had no one to play with except for online with my digital deck, but it gave me fond memories and a easy learning curve using the application. It's much easier than YGO, but I am not going to diss for 'most hated game' and what-nat. Artwork is still pretty (that even some big-name Pixiv artists got the job for those... Ugyuu...), and same goes for Vanguard. My friend and driver who took me to the hospital is into Weis Schwartz and had Japanese decks of his favorite series... lol...

Anyway, it's a huge relief of happiness when I got my friend to play one of the older theme decks (Leaf Greed that my brother gave me lol) against my 'updated' deck, which was fun and intense, lol! I know the college I go to has Pokemon TCG , but YGO or MTG is still dominant there. I won't give up hope and hopefully I can play casually with anyone like the old days!

RP Muses | Commissions | DeviantART | My MAL | TCGO: TimerRabbit

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567