Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Going For Choke! (451)

While this was an okay episode, I'm wondering what the point of having Drew in it was? May didn't even see him, and the only thing he said throughout the entire thing was "Mmm" and "Mhmm". Don't get me wrong, I love Drew, but why exactly was he in it?
    #spp chat staff; drews_girl kintana tenten mello akemi karin && pm chat complaints please.
    fantastic pair \\ epic twin
    i do the #spp nightshift. [x] couldn't do it alone [x] thanks guys <3 [/CENTER]

Banner > 46800 pixels so it was ~removed~! Read the signature rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    Big deal, you act as if that's the first time it's ever happened. -_- Short memory?
    Actually, I can't really remember the last time a blatantly physical Normal type attack hit a Ghost Pokemon. You're probably right about it happening before, but I really can't think of an example right now.

Short answer: It's a Ghost, but a solid Ghost. Some can turn transparent, some either can't or don't. We've seen it happen before.
    A solid Ghost? It's okay to admit that the anime has flawed logic every once and a while. You don't have to defend it to the death.

I actually think this was one of Squirtle's better battles. It deserved this win more than a lot of other ones IMO, even if it survived waaaaaay too many attacks.
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/2wh3vpw.png[/IMG]
    Thank you, SapphireL.

I can BREAK these cuffs!

Sure, some ghosts can turn solid, as evidenced by ghost pokemon being hit by special attacks of a physical nature. However, by the law of the Pokemon world, pokemon classified as ghost type cannot be hit by normal attacks. There's no defending this. I don't recall it ever happening during a battle, and I don't see why it's excusable even if it did happen in the past.

We've seen a Misdreavus take a Headbutt before and get caught in a net that it should have been able to phase through if it could. And we've seen Pikachu's Quick Attack bounce off of Dusclops, as the gang claimed that that didn't hurt it. So if Banette wasn't hurt by being hit physically with a Normal attack, surely the ensuing fall would've hurt it.
    Last edited by Geodude; 3rd December 2006 at 3:16 PM.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Well, some special attacks are of a physical nature, so I'm going to assume that they can only phase through normal and fighting pokemon "attacks", leaving real world objects out of the picture. I don't recall Misdreavus taking a headbutt, nor Dusclops being hit by a normal attack, but like I said - I would consider those errors as well, since I don't see how that justifies certain Ghost types as being vulnerable to normal and fighting type attacks. A Ghost type is a Ghost type, and they have certain attributes, and one major one is that they cannot be hit my Fighting or Normal attacks. I don't think it's possible in the game to hit a Ghost type with those attacks, and yes, you can claim that the anime has taken many unorthodox liberties with a lot of the rules, such as Starmie being able to use Thunderbolt, but I'm pretty sure you can teach it in the game as well.

Ghost Pokemon in the Anime seem to have to "activate" their intangibility.

I don't see what the big deal is anyway. Banette is a stuffed doll thing, so of course a physical contact move is going to hit it. So what, was Squirtle supposed to just bounce off the creature in comical fashion or something? It's like saying Shadow Ball shouldn't be able to do anything to a normal type, despite the fact it's a honking great ball of energy.

If people in this show are able to touch these pokémon without slipping through them, I don't see why a barge or a punch should be any different.

I thought this was a great episode to end May's ribbon collecting on. It was great to see PUSA get Drew's character right, and the battle with Jessie was genuinely on-the-edge-of-your-seat exciting. I did think that it was odd for Squirtle to beat up Banette, but long ago I had accepted the fact that Pokemon does not use the same logic we in the real world use. That is why things we consider to be odd (like May not being able to see through Jessie's disguise or people just standing around in pitch black caves) take place almost unquestioned.
    November 11, 1918 - At the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, the Great War ends. At 5 a.m. that morning, Germany, bereft of manpower and supplies and faced with imminent invasion, signed an armistice agreement with the Allies in a railroad car outside Compiégne, France. The First World War left nine million soldiers dead and 21 million wounded, with Germany, Russia, Austria-Hungary, France, and Great Britain each losing nearly a million or more lives. In addition, at least five million civilians died from disease, starvation, or exposure.

Cardcaptor Sakura - Celebrating Ten Magical Anime Years

I liked this episode, except from Bubble deflecting Thunder, which I thought was odd. But it was a brilliant episode anyway. Nice to know they'll be going to Indigo Plateau again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiro View Post
    Ghost Pokemon in the Anime seem to have to "activate" their intangibility.
    Indeed, and it seems to be something some of them don't know how to do (in addition to being trapped in a net we've seen a Misdreavus trapped under a tree).

Even that Dusclops owned by Brandon was effected by the Seismic Toss right up until the last second when it decided to make use of its Ghost type.

Really, throughout the series only the Gengar family has been consistently shown to phase through things like we imagine all the Ghost types can do. And even they have the ability to turn it on and off (i.e. whenever they make physical contact with someone on the show and effect them).

The trouble comes in that the anime only ever explains it in the simple game terms of "normal attacks don't work on Ghost types."

I fully believe that some of these events are simple mistakes on the part of the writers, but to those that balk at solid ghosts, Ghost type pokemon are NOT literal dead spirits, but simply a type of pokemon that can shift their bodies' dimensional planes, enabling their phasing, communication with the dead etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    It's like saying Shadow Ball shouldn't be able to do anything to a normal type, despite the fact it's a honking great ball of energy.
    Indeed, though to be fair the anime has never said Ghost type moves don't effect Normal types (and I hope it never does as it is one of the type things that makes the least sense to me).

That being said, it wasn't that great of a battle as far as entertainment goes, but then again Jessie was doing the commanding and a poor job of it so what could we expect? At least the stuff occuring outside of the battle was well done enough.

As a last thing, did they really have to choose to have that attack be Thunder? It just looked so incredibly weak compared to any other Thunder in the series that I recall. Even if we assumed the anime decided to incorporate STAB the move still looked way too weak. It might have been acceptable as a Thunderbolt (which as I recall Banette can learn) but not as a Thunder, unless it could be said to have been using some kind of "partial Thunder."
    The defender of all things Pokemon! I shall defend Pokemon from all who speak against it! AKA Jonathan

Before anyone asks, the translation was done correctly. It was Thunder in the original as well.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

LMAO @ Meowth's, "Don't let anyone see you walking like that!" to Harley.

My god, do the Contest eps have the best dialouge in the show or what?

This episode didn't help me like Harley any better, especially the way he blames Team Rocket for everything at the end. Jessie's battle against May was pretty good, though. I really think that that frustration attack on Squirtle should have done a whole lot more damage than it did. I know Brock was right about frustration being more effective since banette was working with a trainer that it wasn't used to, but then Squirtle should have been looking pretty beat up afterward. Even better, like I said with part one, Jessie should have used cacturne in the second half. I like May's Squirtle, unlike some people, but I really think Jessie should have gotten a win. I've got my hopes up for the Sinnou region, at least a little, but the way Jessie has improved with her contests she should have really gotten in a win.

I loved Drew in this episode, it was great that he came to the rescue for the twerps. I'm also glad that James finally called Ash by name for the first time in this episode, joining May in the group of twerps who've been called by name by all three members of Team Rocket. I'm also glad Harley finally confirmed that it's not against the rules to use others' pokemon in the contests. Glad to know that Jessie using Cacnea, Mime Jr., and Chimecho wasn't against the rules.

Overall, 8/10.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 10/11 NEW!! 10/14
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

I really enjoyed Harley dissing Team Rocket (especially Jessie) for their incompetence.

BTW, is it me or did Squirtle have a different voice? If so it sounded somewhat similar?

this episode made me laugh espically the line when Meouth went to Harley "Dont let anybody see you walking like that". also when Drew said i only did it so May would have somebody watching her*raises eyebrow* yeah right Drew

this episode made me laugh espically the line when Meouth went to Harley "Dont let anybody see you walking like that". also when Drew said i only did it so May would have somebody watching her*raises eyebrow* yeah right Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccag View Post
    What about when they said this.

Drew: You think you are so clever
    Harley: The cleverest
    This signature is homeless.

I'm glad she won. I was getting sick of her getting ready and participating in contests. Hate em hate em hate em.

What you love of mine is always yours.
    Animated by me.
    Wife ~ Daughter ~ Pair ~ Twin ~ Claim

I'm glad that May won, it just shows that even when he gets someone else to battle for him, Harley can't beat May.

Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

wait didn't squirtle managed to tackle a bannete in this episode?

Squirtle was brave, it was able to battle vs Banette.
    Jessie had to use her pokemon, not Harley's, but she cheated.
    And i loved how Ash stopped James in time.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

It was too strange for my tastes, since Jessie was fighting with Harley's Pokemon. That's a new one but I guess he really wanted vengence against May. I would have liked to see Jessie fighting May with her own team, but all we got was Harley 2.0, which is why I dislike this episode. It wasn't a good last contest as I had expected since Jessie was a character we'd seen a lot of before. Banette versus Squirtle was entertaining though. 4/10.
    Last edited by Lorde; 19th November 2010 at 7:06 PM.

Ahhh... Memories. Busy with my re-watching of the series. I had to go diggin' for this old gif, I can't believe it still existed!:

V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

One of the reasons I watch the anime is because I like the battles and how the character throws the pokeballs, I liked how that Skarmory trainer threw his pokeball.

Anyways not a bad episode, it was nice to see Frustration and Banette obviously didn't like Jessie that much (Although Cacturne did).

Of course Ash and Co are so clueless to not know Jessilna is Jessie. She used all of hers and James Pokemon and her hair is still the same yet they are clueless. Nice for May to win, I am glad the contests didn't take too long in this season.
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

This episode was good. Jessie and May battled a few times in the past, this this one was just fantastic. I don't remember many contest battles that ended in a draw, at least not until this episode. After the original 5 minutes, I think Squirtle's power has been revealed, it was tired but strong enough.

Jesse will try again in the next opportunity.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast