Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beta Olivine House

Default Beta Olivine House

Hey! It’s been a while since I posted a new thread.
    For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Gulzar and I hunt through the programming of Pokémon games in search of “beta programming.” Beta programming is anything programmed into a game that was not intended for the final release. In my search, I have discovered many beta maps, beta music, and other beta finds. You can see some of these finds here, here, and here.

A while back, I was exploring the event programming of Pokémon GSC. When I focused in on Olivine, I discovered that there was an extra house map associated with Olivine’s main map. This was a startling find, since I had assumed that all houses programmed into the game were accessible in regular game-play. I used Goldmap to view the events programming of the Olivine map, and this is what I saw.
    Strangely enough, I seemed to be in working condition. Since the warp tile was up in the corner of the map, without a door nearby, it would be inaccessible during normal game-play.
    But since I don’t do “normal game-play,” I was able to access it with some tweaking.
    First, I added a door just below the Olivine gym in order to make the warp tile accessible. Next, I moved the warp tile to the door. This is what the resulting map looked like.
    I then started up my emu and brought my character to the door, shown here.
    I then proceeded to enter the beta house… Sounds like a scary story, doesn’t it? Inside was very strange.

Beta Olivine house part 1
    Beta Olivine house part 2

As you can see, there are two sprites in the house, one is a woman and the other is a pokémon of sorts. The pokémon sprite changes as it walks, form a Rhydon-shape to a Clefairy-shape. I first checked the map on the wall, the window, the tv, and the bookcase. All were in working condition, and did nothing abnormal.
    Then I spoke with the pokémon. It said this. It apparently was a Rhydon. After, I spoke with the woman, and here is what she said: 1, 2, 3.
    As you can see from the conversation, the woman refers to a pharmacy in Ecruteak, as opposed to in Cianwood. Apparently, the pharmacy was originally intended to be located in Ecruteak. Maybe Cianwood city was not planed to even exist.

I consider this find of a beta house to be a rare one: never before or since have I found a beta house.

My question: What do you think of this? Was Cianwood city a last-minute addition? Was this house planned to exist in Olivine, or some other place? I know you all have good ideas!

Cianwood could have been a last minute addition, considering that the beta Lake of Rage has a gym in it.

Dang Gulzar! You are a true hacker. I don't think anyone has even dreamed of being you. Well, I guess I'm going to have to congrat you again for another abnormal find. Strange. What's with all the 'P's and 'W's? They bother me.

~Formerly Known as Celebi93~
    ~Currently Known as Serebii93~
    Join!>[IMG]http://i1.*******.com/rlyrys.jpg[/IMG]<Join!
    ^New Location! Please Join!^
    ^Credit to Saffire Persian for this AWESOME Banner!^
    Join!><Join!

I noticed those weird little "W"s on the door tiles in other beta houses before.

I find it quite strange, the "pharmacist in Ecruteak" thing and all, and the... er, "Rhydon" which somehow turned into a Clefairy on the second screenshot. It could be possible that Cianwood was a last-minute add-in, since Lake of Rage was originally supposed to be a town...
    LINKS:
    Court Records.net :: Hinata-chan's Fanclub

A young Defense Attorney takes the stand...

Click on the image to go to my fan-fiction.

Thats pretty cool, and i think youre right about the olvine city being added at last minute.

That's an awsome find. I think that it is very possible that Cianwood could have been an add-in, that is probably the best explaination.

Quite possibly they might not have wanted to add "everything" in Ecruteak city. They had a gym, the theater, Ho-oh's tower, the beasts, and Mortar to the right, leading to a Tyrouge. They needed to think outside the gaming city box, I suppose.
    I wrote the RBY and GSC pages on serebii.net

https://twitter.com/cifalacus

Bloodstar Guest

Lake of Rage being a town...

Perhaps this explains why you can fly to it? o_O

Ah, so that's where that warp point leads to.

I'd seen it when doing some hacking of my own, but never actually thought of exploring what it might be.

Good find - odd why they just moved the warp over some trees rather than deleting it altogether...

Proffesor Pikachu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gridiron
    Cianwood could have been a last minute addition, considering that the beta Lake of Rage has a gym in it.
    You could be right though.

Interesting.

Kinda offtopic but my friend says he used a walk through walls cheat on GSC near the ruins and found a weird house he couldn't enter...does it really exsist? I would try but my Gold's battery = dead.

Yeah, it does seem like a possibility that Cianwood was a last minute add-on.
    Also, about the W’s and P’s and stuff on the map picture, they just represent where warp tiles and people are.
    Mega Trickster: I think there was a thread about that. I’ve seen the “locked house,” but it’s nothing special.

Keep the ideas coming!

hmmmmm maybe cianwood was a last minute add on but then there is stuff about our gamea that we dont know and thats why youre here Gulzar

If there was a pharmacy in Ekruteak why dont you look for it. Or see if Cianwood would just be water. (Ignore if this makes no sense I dont understand hacking very well)

No don't be - that's a very good idea. See if Ectruteak did have a Pharmacy somewhere. Mabye there's an offset warp point like with Olivine?

Yeah, it’s a very good idea to look for a pharmacy in Ecruteak. The warp tile is probably not there still. That doesn’t mean the map isn’t hidden somewhere, though.

I wonder what Cianwood would look like without the town there? I guess the Whirl Islands would just be a dead-end.

I’ll see what more I can find.

Very interesting finds. I would go hacking around in my GBA emulator but I don't have a way to take screencaps of what I'm doing. ^^;

Also, if there weren't originally a Cianwood City, then where was Chuck's gym originally? D:

- Ninetails.
    Legends in the Mysts If you can't reach me here, register there and contact me.
    98% OF TEENS WON'T STAND UP FOR GOD...
    REPOST THIS IN YOUR SIGNATURE IF YOU'RE ONE OF THE 2% WHO WILL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninetails
    Also, if there weren't originally a Cianwood City, then where was Chuck's gym originally? D:
    Maybe his gym was the Lake of Rage Town one. Eh, I could be wrong. XD

Anyway, these are some great finds indeed. It would make sense if Cianwood was a last minute addition.

Bishie: Neji Hyuuga

Proud member of the NFL Club.

-Sig under construcion-

It's stuff like this that makes me want a beta build of G/S that badly.

Cianwood a last minute throw? It could have been the site for Lugia's dungeon before it became a town.[/randomspeculation]
    ROTOM
    ****ING
    OWNS

yeah, I agree with whoever said that u should look in the Beta Eurateak for a pharmacy,...

and BTW, how do u access thw Beta version of these GSC games? is it a version? or is it actual hacking into the code of the game?
    Go to my shop! http://http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=125371

70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries (also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature!

Maybe the Storm Badge used to be the Rage Badge.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTyphlosion
    yeah, I agree with whoever said that u should look in the Beta Eurateak for a pharmacy,...

and BTW, how do u access thw Beta version of these GSC games? is it a version? or is it actual hacking into the code of the game?
    Basically using the retail versions of the game, having a poke around and look at the code to see if anything beta-ish was left in the final game, but hidden over.

Like, for example, the Hot Coffee mod in GTA. Crude example, but that wasn't really playable by normal means since it was hidden and covered over in the code. But it was still there so it was still accessable.

Much like these beta maps and warp points in GSC.

Just a thought - were any of these beta parts left out of Crystal? Did Nintendo realise this after the game went into production and actually did remove them from Crystal?

Marioguy, that's a good assumption. Perhaps ol' Chuck was to be in Blackthorn, and Claire in LoR
    I wrote the RBY and GSC pages on serebii.net

https://twitter.com/cifalacus

That or the pharmacy itself wasn't ment for cianwood. They maybe just changed it as the last minute.

DarkTyphlosion: muckers is right. The beta stuff is just buried in a regular version.

muckers: I’ve done very little inspection of Crystal version. This is mostly because Goldmap doesn’t work for Crystal. >_< (not to say that I haven’t made my own Crystal-hacking program, though.) From what I have seen, the maps are relatively in the same places, including the beta maps. I’ve begun to focus on Pokémon RBY versions, but maybe I’ll check out Crystal again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast