Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monai Region Gym Leaders

Default Monai Region Gym Leaders

The Monai Region is a project I have been working on for a little while now.

The Monai Regoin consists of the mainland and a series of islands. The region has every kind of environment chock full of unique pokemon. The starter town is Black Pine City which is found on the west coast of the mainland. Unlike the games the starter town in Monai is a moderately sized city not a little town with two houses and a lab.

Here are some of the gym leaders i've made sprites for so far.

Orville
    Rook Town Gym Leader in a run down airplane hanger specializing in flying pokemon. Beating him gets you the Glide Badge.
    SIDE NOTE: When you defeat his brother Wilbur (who uses much more powerful Flying type pokemon at the Hawkitt City Gym) you will be able to fly back and forth between Rook Town and Hawkitt City which is on an island with two other cities.
    Niome
    Cape Seabreeze Gym Leader specializing in ground/water pokemon. Beating her gets you the Scale Badge.
    Craig
    Canyonpass Town Gym Leader specializing in fossil pokemon. Beating him gets you the Erosion Badge.
    SIDE NOTE: i decided to give all the pokemon that are regenerated from fossils a Fossil Type designation since none of them actually have any rock type moves or abilities.
    Tess
    Illume City Gym Leader specializing in electric type pokemon. Beating her gets you the Shock Badge.
    Nathan
    I haven't thought up a name for the city he's in but he secializes in bug pokemon. Beating him gets you the Swarm Badge.
    Amanda
    I haven't thought up a name for the city she's in but he secializes in fighting pokemon. Beating her gets you the Dueling Badge.
    Doctor Joy
    Central City Gym Leader specializing in poison pokemon. Beating her gets you the Venom Badge.
    SIDE NOTE: I got tired of seeing a million Nurse Joys and figured there had to be at least one Joy that wanted to be more than just a nurse.
    Shar
    Gym Leader at the Mt. Froston Ski Resort who specializes in ice pokemon. Beating her gets you the Cornice Badge.
    Morton
    Gym Leader at the Amaranthine Cemetery in a converted mousoleum who specializes in ghost pokemon (obviously). Beating him gets you the Eternity Badge.

Here is also the leader of the evil group of the region.
    This is Vincenzo aka 'Don Vino'. He's the leader of the mafia ring known as 'The Syndicate'.
    Last edited by UmbreonRob; 9th September 2006 at 11:02 PM.

NIce sprites. I bet Don Vito was made from Giovanni.

Nice...do you have a website or anything?

Bad spellers... UNTIE!

thanks! i actually made Don Vino from the fat sailor trainer and altered the clothes to look like Giovanni's. he looks like he would be in the mafia with the nice suit.

Don Vino is *puts on mafia style accent* the god father of sprites. . But seriously they're all pretty good.
    PBR friend code: 4897-4465-4758
    PM me if you wanna battle me
    (current team)

wi-fi ranking: 4 wins/ 0 draws/ 1 loses

Those are awseome,I wish i can even make sprites

Credit to Mikari-Chan at ToTheZ Forums.

Golman Credit to.....uh....Lion Something.

Quote Originally Posted by UmbreonRob
    The Monai Region is a project I have been working on for a little while now. Here are some of the gym leaders i've made sprites for so far.

Orville
    Rook Town Gym Leader specializing in flying pokemon. Beating him gets you the Glide Badge.
    Niome
    Cape Seabreeze Gym Leader specializing in ground/water pokemon. Beating her gets you the Scale Badge.
    Doctor Joy
    Central City Gym Leader specializing in poison pokemon. Beating her gets you the Venom Badge.
    SIDE NOTE: I got tired of seeing a million Nurse Joys and figured there had to be at least one Joy that wanted to be more than just a nurse.
    Shar
    Gym Leader at the Mt. Froston Ski Resort who specializes in ice pokemon. Beating her gets you the Cornice Badge.
    Morton
    Gym Leader at the Amaranthine Cemetery in a converted mousoleum who specializes in ghost pokemon (obviously). Beating him gets you the Eternity Badge.

Here is also the leader of the evil group of the region.
    This is Vincenzo aka 'Don Vino'. He's the leader of the mafia ring known as 'The Syndicate'.
    Wow! How'd you make these? They're awesome! I like the 2nd gym leader, she looks pretty.
    Organization is a priority to me.
    l Metal Flower l Wave Guide l Fire Leap l Rainbow's Glory l

DO NOT PM ME ANYMORE! PM ME AT MY NEW ACCOUNT; Douger. THANK YOU!

Very nice! Vincenzo is awesome!

Bishie: Neji Hyuuga

Proud member of the NFL Club.

-Sig under construcion-

Wow, those are really amazing! I must say I'm impressed!

Not only are the sprites really awesome, but I like the little bits of information you provided for each one (along with original names for the towns and badges). They're all very well thought-out, and extremely original. I mean, how many people ever imagine a Nurse Joy being anything more than a nurse, training Pokémon, and Poison ones at that! It's also interesting that one Gym Leader runs a Ski Resort, and another runs a cemetery! (Mortan reminds me of a character from a tv show...I'm not quite sure which one, though I don't think he looked quite as...sinister.) And I also like that you had an evil organization in the region, which is usually overdone and cliché, but you managed to make it different and still very interesting- I have yet to see any mafia ring in any part of the Pokémon well world! Kudos for the originality on that and all the other Leaders!

Now, the sprites themselves...again, they're very well-done, and I can't really find anything wrong with them. Normally, I would point out that you should be using black outlines (as all Pokémon-style sprites have) however you did an amazing job without them, and I now that I look at them, I think that giving them any black outlines would ruin them. *very impressed*
    Only thing I can thing of is the shading on Vincenzo isn't great, not entirely sure why, but it's just not very good. His clothing is great, and I like the extra touch of the cigar (I've never seen a Pokémon sprite holding one of those before!) and the entire head was well-done. Yet somehow, the shading on his clothing is just...off.
    And also, though the clothing on Shar is really good, I don't quite think it's appropriate for skiing, or at least for someone who skies. o.O
    Oh, and I have to say that Orville's clothing and pose is perfect for a Flying-type Leader.

So all I can really say is that these are really, truly amazing, and I'd love to see more from you!

Keep up the terrific work! ^^
    ~Psychic

Thank you all for the praise on my sprites. i really appreciate it. It took me a while to get these completed. i have to say that the second one Niome is my favorite by far even if she wasnt the most complicated to make. for Morton i was going for the classic undertaker image - the tall skinny creepy guy with the long white hair. the first one was the most difficult since hes not just standing there like the others and took a lot of trial and error before i get it right.

i should note that my Monai Project has a total of twenty gyms and gym leaders in three levels of difficulty so there will be more as time goes on. and i'll update the thread periodically.

Yeah for made-up Gym Leaders! 8D

It's good to see Nurse Joy be something besides a pushover who heals your Pokemon. But why does she wield the Poison type? That seems a tad...dark for her. I always saw her as a Normal type trainer. With Chansey and all...

Overall, they all look proportionate and well shaded. Great job.

holy jumpin' crap! they are great! love the vinchenzo!

3DS Friend Code - 4081-6303-6683

My Anime List - updated every now and then

"Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe used to think Justin Bieber was a woman."

i pick Joy to have poison pokemon for a reason. as a doctor she would deal with healing those who are poisoned by pokemon so she would use hers to develop anti-venoms and other things to help.

If anyone is interested here is another thread i had started a little while ago that shows some of my custom pokemon sprites - Umbreon's Sprite Thread
    Last edited by UmbreonRob; 15th May 2006 at 6:50 AM.

I just wanted to mention that i am going to update my gym leaders by adding in their mini sprites and badge soon

Are these completely scratch? If they aren't I can't figure out what trainers you've used.

Everyone meet Nathan the newest addition to my gym leaders. He deals in bug type pokemon and gives out the Hive Badge. I gave him the two hairs sticking up on purpose to be like bug antennae but i didnt want it to be too obvious. of course pointing it out don't help. lol

Here are the mini sprites of me, the gym leaders in order, and Don Vino.

They've all been added to the list at the beginning.

The sprites are not complete scratches like my pokemon sprites. they are more like patchworks with small bits of trainers added together and altered accordingly to get them just right.

it just hit me that the mini sprites are overworlds. duh.
    Last edited by UmbreonRob; 19th May 2006 at 7:06 AM.

the little colored bars under the overworld sprites of each gym leader just shows what of pokemon they use. i just didnt feel like removing them when i uploaded the sprites.

Ive been offline for a little while but that time was not wasted. Here are my latest additions:

Craig
    Canyonpass Town Gym Leader specializing in fossil pokemon. Beating him gets you the Erosion Badge.
    SIDE NOTE: i decided to give all the pokemon that are regenerated from fossils a Fossil Type designation since none of them actually have any rock type moves or abilities.
    Tess
    Illume City Gym Leader specializing in electric type pokemon. Beating her gets you the Shock Badge.
    Amanda
    I haven't thought up a name for the city she's in but he secializes in fighting pokemon. Beating her gets you the Dueling Badge.

It's great but there already is a hive badge and every fossil pokemon learns ancientpower which is a ROCK MOVE
    ALL YOUR RAIKOU ARE BELONG TO US!

I am alive!

I had a muffin. I named it Muffy. I ate it.

The Nurse Joy leader should have Normal pokemon or Psychic pokemon. I mean know offense, but nurse joy wouldn't really use poison pokemon.
    3DS Friend Code: 1676-3803-7109

I claimed Raikou!

Youtube
    and deviantART

Amanda's Town=Mt. St. Punchelens
    Nate's Town=Arachnia City

Credit to Mothim Master! Thanks much!

Haven't been on here in an age and a day. Might have to lurk a bit...

Hello people. ive been offline for a little while but i am back. Ive noticed how some of you question my making Joy a Poison type gym leader rather than normal type. I figured that as a doctor she would deal with people and pokemon being poisoned so she studies and uses poison pokemon to make antivenoms and antitoxins to heal the sick. its a nice twist.

I'll be adding in a regional map and town maps soon.

Those rock! =D I love how they're not just recolors of Ruby and stuff like that. ^^ Cause most people just recolor Gary and stuff and say, "omg lyke this is derek and he is a dark/flying gymleader and his twin brother (recolor of Red) derrick is a fighting/ground gymleader" Makes everything better. =D xD

D I G I M O N | o b s e s s i o n
    Currently obsessed with Digimon.
    Adventure Zero Two.
    takeruFAN.

Yo these are wicked awesome!!! I mean the coolest, if only i was as good as you?

Thanks for the compliments guys. =)

For those of you wondering what the Monai region looks like i bring you a map of the region. Ive named most of the towns/cities and some of the routes but its a work in progress. Unfortunately the image is coming out smaller on the post then the actual image size but you can still see the words. So squint your eyes and enjoy. =D
    Last edited by UmbreonRob; 8th September 2006 at 6:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast