Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Grating Spaces! (453)

Overused it may be, but that has to be one of the the best looking 'Zards since the Cinnabar Gym battle. But since Jessie was using it, it was a total disaster. Had she used Aggron, she might've had a bit more luck(it can learn a lot more attacks...remember when she was spouting off attacks to Seviper way back in Hoenn?). That reminds me, was James equally as bad with Aggron?

What a waste of two awesome and powerful Pokés.;_;

And once again, no love for Geodude(it doesn't have a personality, but I like using them in the early game.). I'm starting to believe it really DOES have an Everstone wedged in its back.XD But it's a rare chance for Brocko to show what he can really do, so that's good.

Revolution FC: 2620-9865-4149

Quote Originally Posted by Pika Hikari KT
    What a waste of two awesome and powerful Pokés.;_;
    Were you actually expecting Jessie and James to utilise the full potential of charizard and aggron respectively?
    "Psychos... they always love comics." - Det. Elliot Stabler.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzJazz
    Were you actually expecting Jessie and James to utilise the full potential of charizard and aggron respectively?
    I doubt it.

This episode looks cool. I likre it mostly cause it features Brock. Steelix looks awesome. I just love Onix's and Steelix's designs, theyre awesome. Was that beam attack from Steelix Dragonbreath? I liked the green flames better but it still looks cool. I would have liked Geodude to evolve too but eh Steelix is good. Cant wait to see this cept Brocks voice will probably be crappy. *misses Eric Stuart*

Fan of #336 Seviper the Fang Snake Pokemon
    Seviper's sword-like tail slashes enemies and douses them with a horrible poison.
    Seviper shares a life-long, bitter rivalry with Zangoose.
    Evo Line: Seviper
    Fave moveset: Poison Tail, Toxic, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower

Banner by me ~RT

Delibird sure was a pleasant surprise, but everyone else already said that. And does this mean Yamato and Kosaburou now have a Bossgodora and Lizardon? Would be interesting if that Lizardon reappears, because then we'd be seeing the Pokemon portrayed in more antagonistic roles. Quite the contrast from the Lizardon that Satoshi owns (plus, it's very rare that two characters own the same Pokemon). And now I can't help wondering where the hell these Pokemon were in the previous episode, when we saw Rocket grunts using things like Zubat. If Sakaki could give Pokemon like that away, he sure as hell could equip his army a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Leaf
    Does that answer your question?
    Really, it saddens me that Onix was the one to evolve, he was a good battler as he was. Geodude, however, was in need of a boost. Seems he'll always be a lovable lump...
    I too think it was utter bulls*** that Iwark evolved. After Takeshi and Jirou were talking about the pride in having a rock-type gym back in that Housou special, what does Jirou go and do? Evolve the rock-type into a steel-type. And it's portrayed as Takeshi's signature Pokemon throughout the whole friggin franchise. Dumping it at the gym's one thing, but evolution basically says "He's neeeeeeever coming back". Besides, would a Goron's presence have killed them?

BTW, is this the first time that Haganeil was noted as having a ground sub-type? At some point, Masato (whom deserves the nickname "everyone's favorite piece of game continuity") mentions that Haganeil's a "Hagane/Jimen-taipu" (Steel/Ground-type).

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMage
    Steelix is amazing, although it's a shame that Ludicolo and Crobat were more or less shoved into the background.
    Fixed it.

Seriously, the people complaining about Ishitsubute getting the shaft are forgetting that it at least got to participate in the battle at the end. Runpappa and Crobat would've killed for that sort of action, especially given that they didn't get much of a chance to shine when they were travelling with Takeshi (Crobat was both a flyer and one of Takeshi's Pokemon. It did nothing but scout, and rotted in its ball the rest of the time. Meanwhile, Runpappa got quite a bit of spotlight before it evolved, but after it reached its finally form, it appeared about five times and didn't take long to be ditched. Ishitsubute at least did slightly more than that).

Quote Originally Posted by Pika Hikari KT
    Overused it may be, but that has to be one of the the best looking 'Zards since the Cinnabar Gym battle. But since Jessie was using it, it was a total disaster. Had she used Aggron, she might've had a bit more luck(it can learn a lot more attacks...remember when she was spouting off attacks to Seviper way back in Hoenn?). That reminds me, was James equally as bad with Aggron?
    I agree, it looked pretty badass. Besides, would we really wanna see a lesser-used fire-type, particularly Kyuukon, getting pwned in a typical Rocket battle at the end? I sure as hell wouldn't want that. Besides, by having two large, dragon-like Pokemon, they not only seem threatening, but Musashi and Kojirou end up being easily impressed, thinking they'll be unstoppable.

And I think Kojirou did do better with Bossgodora. While Musashi only made use of basic Flamethrowers and Fire Spins and stuff, Kojirou took advantage of the fact that it could use Water Pulse, a less conventional attack which their opponents are weak against. Also, it was Musashi's Lizardon that started the fight between the two at the end by projecting Flamethrower onto Bossgodora's back (I don't know if Musashi gave a lousy command, or if the Lizardon itself doesn't know where to aim.... maybe Musashi got the idea of friendly fire after seeing Haganeil strike Donphan towards them, I'd have to watch it again).
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 22nd May 2006 at 1:59 AM.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

I think what happened was it was due to J&J's lack of coordination. Jessie called for Fire Spin at a time and position where Aggron was in the way. Same thing happened to Ash and May back in The Bicker the Better when Skitty hit Corphish with Blizzard when it was supposed to be teamed up in battle with it.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

I too think it was utter bulls*** that Iwark evolved. After Takeshi and Jirou were talking about the pride in having a rock-type gym back in that Housou special, what does Jirou go and do? Evolve the rock-type into a steel-type.
    True Brock did say talk about that but then why would Crobat be used also it really isnt Forrest's fault it evolved(the anime varies on if a pokemon requires a certain item to evolve). Although you do have a point that Onix was probally the strongest rock type. Golem could work since it seems like Forrest was using Flint's Golem for the gym.

Was anybody else disappointed by how little Forrest actually did in this episode? I realize that Ash is the main character, but it seems to me that having Forrest as Brock's partner would make more sense. The kid is training to eventually take over the Gym, isn't he? And really, what did Ash do with Donphan that Forrest couldn't have done with Golem or Geodude?

Also, if Forrest had tried to flirt with May (they're about the same age, after all), that would've been good for a laugh.

Well Forrest is still young, and he was clearly upset about the situation, so maybe he tried to stop it but wasn't able. And having Brock there and fighting to keep the gym gave him courage. And he did cut in front of Ash and Brock at one point so it's not like he stood back and let them do everything.

I realized something interesting last night: Onix is the first "Original" pokemon of the twerps to evolve on the show. By that, I mean the pokemon they had prior to being introduced on the show (not counting Ash and May, since they got their first pokemon on the show). Brock started with Onix and Geodude; Misty had Staryu, Starmie, and Golden; and Tracey had Venonat and Marill (yes, I count Tracey).

Of course two original pokemon already evolved a LONG time ago (Jessie and James's Ekans and Koffing), but it's a first for the twerps. Pretty cool.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 12/18 NEW!! 12/23
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: ; playing Y and OR
    To reclaim:

Just watched it and I think this Es is quite cool.
    Well, the battle is very interesting but I don't like Charizard ^^ That's better to replace Char and Jess should use Ninetales.
    When Steelix turns Donphan on with the view defeating Argon - that's a good stragedy

On the subject of Onix's evolution:

Bittersweet. Oh, hey, it evolved? Great! Now instead of being an honest to goodness Onix, its a generic Steelix. What a surprise that we see it using Iron Tail and Dragonbreath during the battle--two attacks that are so non-descrip. for a Steelix its painful to witness.

Odd, isn't it? Usually we cry for evolution, and when the time comes we almost have to do a double-take. Great idea, Pokemon writers--wrong choice. In other news, Geodude gets Sandstorm (relatively unique but nothing we haven't seen) and Mega Punch (we're back to RBY TMs now! [yes, I know it's a tutorable move. Go easy!])

On the battle itself:

Funny. But also more of the same. I can see the headline already...

"You've seen Team Rocket get cranky at one another and lose battles before! Now, get ready to witness the same thing again... BUT with new Pokemon!"

And new is a relative term. Charizard? Okay, I know I've joked about his appearances in the past before, but at this point I'm inclined to believe that they sincerely can't think of any other Pokemon to pick. Seriously! Maybe it's a disease or something. Charizarditis. A new discovery. Prevents any sane person from choosing a Pokemon other than Charizard. Looks like they were able to take some medicine for a short bit because I see AGGRON of all Pokemon! What a choice. Now there's something creative and not-Charizardish.

But anyway... Yeah, the battle wasn't anything special on TR's side of the field. They get blasted off... the Gym is saved ....Mozeltoff. Ash and Brock were cookin' fiercely but the efforts were a bit of a 'why bother' situation.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

As to why it was Charizard, I've been developing a theory for a while. If I had to wager a guess, they like using Charizard a lot, because they have the character models for it. Instead of making new models or drawing them from scratch, they can just whip out the previous footage for the Pokemon and its attack, saving time and money.

Well the Charizard in this episode sure did have a lot of new animation and its attacks, while similar, were used differently. It's not a bad theory but I'm not sure if can work, y'know?

I just chalk it up to Charizarditis. It's easier.
    V | Faction

just seen it it was an okay episode
    but who's golem was shown ;/

it's from Brock father Flint
    ________
    Web Shows
    Last edited by Pepsi_Plunge; 2nd September 2011 at 11:40 AM.

Using Charizard is getting old tho, why not use Pokemon we rarely see.
    Formerly Storm_Dragoon

Latest Shinies - Omega Ruby:

2380 SRs/RAs

Quote Originally Posted by dragonpkmnrox
    Using Charizard is getting old tho, why not use Pokemon we rarely see.
    The writers would rather be eaten by a pack of vicious Shuckles than using Dunsparce.
    Currently looking for:
    Charizardite Y
    Mewtwonite Y
    Heracronite
    Houndoominite
    Aggronite

Currently up for trade:
        Spoiler:- Shinies:

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0318-7800-9760

just saw the show, but how is aggron able to learn water pulse?
    \

Yes. You saw it use it, didn't you? Rarely will they mix up attacks.
    V | Faction

ya they usually stick the pokemons standard moves

Not in AG they don't. This is why we have Eevee firing Shadow Ball and Meowth in boots using Thunderbolt and the like.

Back in the early series, the writers stuck Pokemon with generic moves that they learn in their movesets. At least in AG we're getting great TM moves, of course some tend to be overused (Iron Tail...yikes!) but others are welcome.

Good to see that Onix finally elvolved.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed
    Not in AG they don't. This is why we have Eevee firing Shadow Ball and Meowth in boots using Thunderbolt and the like.

Back in the early series, the writers stuck Pokemon with generic moves that they learn in their movesets. At least in AG we're getting great TM moves, of course some tend to be overused (Iron Tail...yikes!) but others are welcome.
    Iron Tail isn't overused, no not at all. But Seriously, I don't see why the writers find that attack so appealing
    Last edited by HoennMaster; 25th May 2006 at 1:19 PM.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    And I THINK (someone'll have to confirm this) that Flint/Lola were actually NOT responsible for the gym decorations this time around. When the disguised TR showed up, the kids knew who they were (well, who they were supposed to be disguised as, anyway), so I kinda got the impression that TR did the "re-designing"...especially considering their reactions to what the kids were telling Brock.
    Murgatroyd has confirmed that Flint/Lola hired TR, but TR was solely responsible for the details (meaning, the decorations and stuff).

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast