Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap way to boost your user rank.

Default Cheap way to boost your user rank.

Turn off post count on Fizzy Bubbles and PASBL. If Games and Clubs do not increase your post count, why should FB and PASBL have it? Its such a cheap and easy way to boost your rank up to the top -___-;

I'm still amazed that people give two shids about post count.

More thought goes into the typical in-battle PASBL or FB post than the typical club post, anyway.
    Former PASBL League Champion
    One of the best Pokemon Anime-Style Battlers Ever.
    Owner of Muyotwo, Sciz and X-Rok's Huge Frakin' Flames.

Since Serebii added pictures for the ranks, people want to get a higher rank, since once again it's obvious what rank people are at. When everyone had a custom title, it wasn't so bad.

A post sampling from areas where posts count.

Fanart:
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic_Houndoom
    Wow, that's very good, and its pretty!
    Faceoffs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi
    I vote for Sugio =D
    Polls:
    Quote Originally Posted by fidani16
    So, the other thread like this with abilities brought me the idea to make this one. The moves that pokemon would never have.

Magikarp would never learn Earthquake
    Charizard would never learn Signal Beam

etc.

So, now, start!
    Fanfics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Suicune Girl of Pokémon
    Him I like the story so far.... but why do the rockets whant Ash anyway?
    ASB:
    Quote Originally Posted by Muyotwo
    On a slightly different side of the spectrum, we have this match, with all the intrigue of any matchup. Killy Gallet has been making a clear name for herself among the SPP generation as their best, while Shadowdino, new Dark Gym Leader, has been plodding away at this since the last time the PASBL was on SPP, steadily building a reputation of being a trainer nobody wants to face. What would be fitting stakes for a match of this caliber? How about a shot at the League Champion for starters?

Specs are as follows.
    6 v 6 with switching
    No disqualification
    Realistic
    Hidden Squad (Both trainers will PM me their team and their first pokemon. After this, as Shadowdino won the coin toss and chose to post second, Kill Gallet will post her first attacks)
    The Indigo Stadium (Anime Stadium):
    Special Conditions for use: The battle must be part of a tournament or a league championship match, or both trainers must be at League Level, or the Referee must be at League Level, or Special Permission from the League Officials must be gained.
    Indigo Stadium Special Rules: None
    The Indigo Stadium is considered to be a standard Clay arena, with the following special rules in effect. Announcer, Artificial Lighting (Floodlights/Towers), Battle Platforms, Onlookers, Stadium. The time will be at three in the afternoon with nary a cloud in sight.
    All pokemon will be Equilevel and at the evolution level of three.

This should be fun, providing keeping track of two 6 on 6 switching matches at a time doesn't drive me completely insane. I await the PMs
    Fizzy Bubbles:
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoraJolteon
    I shall continue with my adventure

ZJ - Hearing your answer, the boy becomes enraged.
    "Well that's easy for you to say, you haven't had a single pokemon stolen yet!" he shouts, clearly very angry.
    A few of the people walk up to ou, wondering what is going on. A tall boy begins to speak.
    "Take it easy now, Cal. You know the risk for avalanches here is very big. We have to be quiet. Also, they could have spies anywhere near... We wouldn't want them on us, would we?" He turns to you, and looks at you a few seconds. The girl begins to speak
    "We haven't introduces us, have we? I'm Jelena, and it's a pleasure meeting you" She says, and beams at you.
    "This is Sean, our leader", she adds, and points at the tall boy. "And that was Cal, as you've heard" She say, and looks worryingly at the boy that was shouting at you only moments before. Then, the tall boy begins to speak
    "You might, or you might not know. We are the RescueRangers. We are 30 qualified Ranger, who work for the Glacier Islands police. We're here to put a certain group behind bars. They've been kidnapping pokemon, and demand ransoms. Then an evil, well, doctor some may call him, but I'd call him a maniac, has escaped from a prison. We believe he found his way to these scum. We've gotten reports on mystical men doing things in the middle of the night..."
    As he stops speaking, a boy comes riding down the mountain, on a Rapidash. Two girls run up to him and help him down the horse, and soon, he is speaking with Sean. After about half a minute, Sean begins to speak, more loudly this time.
    "We have located the bad guy's base, now get packing! We are leaving in 15 minutes!" Everyone gets busy on the spot; they start running around with things, shouting to each other. Then Sean turns to you. I like your attitude. You can come with us if you want. If so is the case, then you will be travelling with Jelena here. I think Cal is a bit to hard on her..." He says, and you notice Jelena beaming at you again.
    She literally drags you over to her pokemon, and the Rapidash seemed to be hers too. She releases two pokemon, a Glalie and a Piloswine!
    "Meet my friends!" She says, and then looks at you. "Can't you release your friends too? I'd like to meet them all!"
    What will you do?

"OK!" Beaming, Zora reached for the remaining balls on his belt. "You've already met Pineco Tropius and Piloswine, so Vulpix, Slowqueen, Wooper, come on out!" Their three forms appeared in bursts of Red, or in the case of Slowqueen, Blue, light, and cried out happily. The two ice pig's nuzzled against each other, while Vulpix wandered up to Rapidash and started chatting. Wooper meanwhile, thanks to her handy insulating slime, was the only one not afraid to go near the frigid Glalie, and proceded to jump happily on it, trying to keep her balence as the disgruntled Glalie rolled about trying to throw her off. Laughing at his Pokémon's actions, Zora continued "I've been travelling with all of them for ages. Piloswine was the first Pokémon I ever owned, Pineco the first I ever caught. The rest I just picked up throughout my adventures. They're all great battlers too, and I have faith in them being able to handle anything that we might come across. I've taken on much tougher opponents than mad scientists before." Delving into his backpack, Zora pulled out a jet black thick metal ring. "Know where this comes from? Entei. I've met him, and defeated him. Well, with a little help from a couple of other people." He finished sheepishly.
    After this, Zora turned back to Cal. "Please don't make assumptions about me. I've been through more than you could ever imagine. Of course I know what it's like to lose a Pokémon. I also know what it's like to find one again, and if you'd like to experience that feeling as well, I'd appreciate it if you could be a bit more civilised. Right, so, which direction are we heading, and would it be better for Tropius to fly or walk?"

So, which of the above would you consider spam.
    "Vindictive, self-serving and often vicious"
    Head of PASBL and PASBL related goings on.
    Are you a virgin?
    Officially in Blingchu's bottom three.
    Ghosts have been proven to exist, you know.
    I heard it isnt comfirmed

Trick enters Fizzytopia with his Cacnea and Snorunt and they decide to go to the Deserted Fairground.
    ^from Fizzy bubbles.

<< >> showing posts that hinder one area and help another is not how you prove a point.

Acheront has a point, if games and club posts don't count, and to my knowledge RP posts don't count, and Fizzy bubbles is like a game, club and RP in one .. then technically the posts there shouldn't count either o.o

just my opinion anyways.

Entry posts are posts users make once when they first enter a zone, so it didn't seem fair to take that as the base post of the zone, so I picked the first post that wasn't an entry post. Deal.
    "Vindictive, self-serving and often vicious"
    Head of PASBL and PASBL related goings on.
    Are you a virgin?
    Officially in Blingchu's bottom three.
    Ghosts have been proven to exist, you know.
    I heard it isnt comfirmed

I AGREE WITH MUYO!!

I also think that Acheront is slightly bitter because he used to be in FB, and now he can't get more posts. =P

Anyway, games and clubs are just random spam, at least ASB and FB have a point to them. In games, people can post one word and call it a post, same in clubs. In ASB and FB, there are posts consisting of about 3 paragraphs.

Beetch.

Who cares about Post Count anyway? Its just a stupid banner next to your name, oh wow someone going to get a higher rank than me more easily, big deal? No.

Also I agree with Joe about the bitter thing.

It gives me a drive to make more good posts. Also, all of you are either mods of various ranks or Pokemon Champions so it can't matter to you anyway because you are as high as you can be.

I don't really understand why people care so much about thier user ranks. I still think that it should count in FB because some of those posts are long and time consuming, but about a quarter of the posts in other places are just spam, and they still count.

[IMG]http://i30.*******.com/2edd1zm.jpg[/IMG]
    ShiniesShiny Lovers ClubRotom

Pearl 0438 2903 5961
    White 4684 8876 1042
    PGL Nickname: Cainer, add me!

Current Shiny Hunts

Status 1,336 Eggs, 100 RE

I am a member of the PASBL, and as you can tell, my rank is definately not that high. *points*
    PASBL Stats
    TP: 72, SP: 0, KO: 25, Record: 14-3-0
    B- Grade Ref
    Trainer Level 2

Its not as bad as the face-offs when they counted, I can tell you. The face-offs were too good for raising postcounts. You could say 'I vote Breloom' or 'Krabby gets my vote' and some people simply said 'Mew.........'. Pokepolls should count though imo.

The post counts are very misleading. On my forum, people would post loads of posts at once (I have no flood control) and then they would delete it (and they never knew that admins can always edit post counts, user ranks and mods can read deleted posts.)

Some people even on this forum post a little to avoid being a beggining trainer. That should not be the case.

Another PASBLer here, and the one who brought this to attention

As already stated, in PASBL we usually have to put a lot of thought into our posts, we can't just post random spam with a few words, sure, we do in Time Out, but posts don't count there

Those who make a lot of posts in PASBL (Such as myself) are actually contributing to the purpose, and don't care about user post count, on the other hand, posts of low intelligence are mercifully rare.

Also, it seems to me that anyone who joins PASBL just to up their post count will quickly become a laughing stock, as they will be owned many times over

And, since you can only have 3 battles going on one branch of the ASB, 4 total, the only people who would really have their posts counts boosted are the refs, and it is extremely rigourous both becoming one and reffing matches. I would know seeing as I am a ref.

I <3 Bitter Ex-Fizzy Bubbles members =D *Cough ACHERONT Cough*

Renegade: Those were from a time long past :/ If you check it TODAY, you'll find those kind of posts are not tolerated as updators get kinda p*ssed if you do something like that.

Anyway, why the hell does anyone care about postcount++ anyway? :/ WOAHMG you get a new banner thingy, so what? If you wanna be a moron and gloat that you have a shimload of posts on a Pokemon forum, be my guest. I'll be over there with the other people who DON'T CARE about postcount.

Lol. I'm not trying to be ebil to FB, but when I was looking at my user rank compared to all the FBers who joined not long ago, I found it quite wrong that they had such a high rank. I mean, yes, you do get quality posts in the zones, but getting post count in the shops and timeout is pathetic. Look, maybe you don't care about post count, but I see it as a way of showing your active and quality contribution in the forums.

Yes, I understand not all areas of FB and PASBL are spam, but shouldn't we stop post count from rising when posting in the shops or time out areas?

Also, I know that there is a lot of spam in other places in SPPF. Maybe rules could be enforced to make sure that posts are of good quality. For example, you must give a good reason for choosing a particular Pokemon in Face Offs. Or maybe in Fanart, you can only post if you supply an opinion, reason or possibly a suggestion. This isn't really coercing what people can do on SPPF, but its a way to help us distinguish between who produces quality posts, and who doesn't.
    Last edited by Acheront; 23rd May 2006 at 8:22 AM.

Posts in Face-offs don't count towards post count(seriously, I checked), although it isn't mentioned anywhere. And if you make people give reasons for choosing a Pokemon/Pokemon character, they'll either give a canned answer("Because they're cool!") or recycle someone else's answer, so there's no reason to force them to do that.

I say leave things as they are. Fanart already has measures in place to prevent spammy posts(most notably the outlawing of number ratings), and the mods are good at weeding out spam in general. Besides, post count isn't that big of a deal aside from the small feeling of satisfaction for having moved up a rank or hitting a milestone of some other sort. If you have the time to worry about other people gaining post count from less-than-stellar posts, may I suggest redirecting that energy to something more...productive?
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Post count = life. LIFE I SAY, IT MATTERS.

Really though, who gives a flying crap about post count? Statistics on the internet are lol.

-Fatal

As I previously stated, for a number of people, post count reflects the activity and contribution of a person in the community. Serebii disabled post count from a few subforums because he believed posts made there will not be at a standard worth a post count. I believe, and a number of you know that posts made in the forums I stated are not worthy of post count either. So why not make it fairer for people who make quality contribution by differentiating them from those who make short and somewhat pointless posts?

Want some evidence to my claims?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerichi
    >>; Buy my stuff, foos.

>>; <<;

*shot*
    Quote Originally Posted by Teehee
    In other news, Peanut Butter sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by quilava plush
    Rui weeps.
    Do you seriously think these deserve post counts? They are merely spam. If they want to talk, then why not use IMs? I seriously believe that it is not fair on the people who actively produce fantastic posts and 'work' for their user rank, while others spam their way up there. Look, some of you don't care about the ranks, but they are here for a reason.
    Last edited by Acheront; 24th May 2006 at 1:35 PM.

In reality, you are taking the user ranks too seriously. Nobody should judge contributions to the forum off rank, ever. Even if there is no spam. Some people can get a good message across in one post while for others it'll take a post and a few replies to get it across. If you really want to know how much a member contributes, go look at their post history and read through it instead of just looking at rank.

As for those posts you quoted, those happen in EVERY section.
    Pokémon Tournament & League Organizer in Hawaii

If anyone's noticed, postcount is turned off in the forums that (mostly) have nothing to do with Pokemon (Programming Help, Webmaseters & Websites, Clubs, Games, Site Discussion, Newbie Lounge) with Clubs and games being an exception (people would have h-u-g-e postcounts if it wasn't the case). This is probably so because of how postcount was treated in the old days(remember the usertitles).

Therefore, the forums which have post count switched off are those which have very little to do with Pokemon itself, not those forums where people are likely to post short spammy replies.

The system might need changing, but I'm not bothered even though a good 90% of all my posts were made in those forums where posts are not counted. I ignore user ranks anyway, and as everyone knows, postcount is hardly indicative of the quality of someone's posts. On the contrary, it is often reversely proportional to someone's general post quality.

[PI Forums|Magma HQ|Kikkoman!]
    Teal'c: Are you considering the same tactic as I?
    O'Neill: Teal'c, the cliché is "are you thinking what I'm thinking". And the answer is "yes".

That's not a cheap way to boost your user rank. A cheap way to boost your user rank is to make god awful comics in the Fan Comics section and defend your sorry little behind when the critics come. >>

This is coming from experience. Fan Comics is probably the one place you're likely to find useless posts, and it's also one place that post count applies to. We get the following posts (in exageration! =D):

"my comic! plz read!"
    "lmao nice job! 100/10"
    "thank you new comic!"
    "Uh, you need to work on so and so and such and such..."
    "no I don't!"
    "yeah, no he dosn't!"
    "nub! GTFO!"

Now, I may be a little unfair to those who don't act like idiots there, but for the most part, it's true. Despite SD's obvious "THIS PLACE IS NOT A SPAM FORUM" rantings, we STILL get these kinds of posts. Not only that, but when someone who gets 10/10 reveiws undeservingly dosn't get a 10/10 reveiw, we get flamewars. AND NINE OUT OF TEN PERCENT OF THE TIME, THERE IS NO MOD INTERVENTION.

So, my question is this.

Why is the post count being applied to a MOSTLY UNMODERATED forum that consists mostly of half arsed comics, three word posts and flame wars?

My point exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox
    In reality, you are taking the user ranks too seriously. Nobody should judge contributions to the forum off rank, ever. Even if there is no spam. Some people can get a good message across in one post while for others it'll take a post and a few replies to get it across. If you really want to know how much a member contributes, go look at their post history and read through it instead of just looking at rank.

As for those posts you quoted, those happen in EVERY section.
    If anyone's noticed, postcount is turned off in the forums that (mostly) have nothing to do with Pokemon (Programming Help, Webmaseters & Websites, Clubs, Games, Site Discussion, Newbie Lounge) with Clubs and games being an exception (people would have h-u-g-e postcounts if it wasn't the case). This is probably so because of how postcount was treated in the old days(remember the usertitles).

Therefore, the forums which have post count switched off are those which have very little to do with Pokemon itself, not those forums where people are likely to post short spammy replies.

The system might need changing, but I'm not bothered even though a good 90% of all my posts were made in those forums where posts are not counted. I ignore user ranks anyway, and as everyone knows, postcount is hardly indicative of the quality of someone's posts. On the contrary, it is often reversely proportional to someone's general post quality.
    So why are post counts still counted and revealed through user ranks? And why has Serebii totally disabled post counts in specific subforums when this number is so unimportant and insignificant?

Nothing more than something fun for users to gawk at. Postcount was disabled in certain forums so it would be fair to the people who don't post in the 'brainless post' forums. In other words, forums that require little or no thought at all when posting. Its also disable in forums that have a high level of redundancy, though it should be disabled in Announcements sooner or later.

Anyway, the forums you mentioned do require thought and effort and just because a hand-full of posts are like that, doesn't mean that they should be disabled, else we might as well disable postcount in all forums.
    Pokémon Tournament & League Organizer in Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by Acheront
    Do you seriously think these deserve post counts? They are merely spam. If they want to talk, then why not use IMs? I seriously believe that it is not fair on the people who actively produce fantastic posts and 'work' for their user rank, while others spam their way up there. Look, some of you don't care about the ranks, but they are here for a reason.
    For ****s sake at least get your arguments right you bitter little *******. all three of those posts were made in the FB time Out thread, which is part of the FB Time Out subforum, which doesn't contribute to post counts at all.

The only posts that count are Shops and Zones (and Regis., but that's closed). That's 26 posts a week in shops (assuming you use the Casino every day, which most do not.), 104 posts a month. Add two eggs (four posts) and two zone posts and you have a whopping 110 posts a month in FB at max. But for good measure we'll add two CC posts, and a random berry. 113 posts a month. And that's with some heavy FB activity.

But, the average person doesn't use the Casino everyday, or even all the shops, but for argument's sake, we'll do the math nonetheless.

There are 9 weekly shops. Assuming someone used all of the shops, we'd get 36 posts a month. Add two eggs (four posts), two zone posts, two CC posts, and a random berry. 45 posts a month. and that's assuming all weekly shops are used and FT is being adventured in which is usually not the case.

113 posts a month for HEAVY FB'ers. 45 posts a month for average people like me. Taking into account that most (not all) FB'ers are pretty isolated to FB and don't grace the rest of the forum, I think it's safe to say that in the end they're not doing any better or any worse in post counts than others who frequent other areas.

So get over it. FB and PASBL require thought and reasoning. Even in trivial matters like shops most FB'ers put more effort into cross-linking and cross-checking than you probably put into this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast