Thread: Abandoned (One-shot, DexterxDextette, PG)

Talking Abandoned (One-shot, DexterxDextette, PG)

Author's Note: Hi! I didn't really know whether to put this in the general fics or the shipping fics, as this is more of a humor fic and I doubt anyone SERIOUSLY supports DexterxDextette... eventually I figured it would be best to put it here, though.

Anyway, I originally posted this story on fanfiction.net, where my pen name is neogirl7900. A lot of people seemed to like it so I figured I'd post it here... I'd really appreciate reviews, so please review if you have time.

Also... does DexterxDextette have a name? If it does, can you please tell me? If not... it shall hereby be called pokedexshipping! I'm so creative, huh? -.-

Now... onto the fic!

Abandoned

By: SheWhoLovesPineapples

Dexter sat quietly in the dark lab, listening to hums of various machines or voices outside. He never did have anything better to do these days... since the days he had been... abandoned.

Had it truly been only a year since then? It felt like so much longer since he had been needed... wanted. Since the information he provided had been the key to Ash's victory. Since he had heard Ash say, “Let's see what Dexter has to say about this!” Since he had been important.

Of course, no one ever had given him the respect he deserved. He had never heard a single “Thank you, Dexter” come from the lips of those whom he had most faithfully served. Still, he never expected that he would become, this, this... obsolete piece of junk!

Slowly, small, silvery tears ran down his cheeks. It was a wonder he didn't blow a circuit or anything, but he was so depressed, he wouldn't have even cared if he had. He'd accept just about anything to end the horrible, terrible, abominable, cruel, hateful, despicable, miserable, paraskevidekatriaphobic torment he was going through.

Dexter's thoughts were interrupted as the lab door swung open and the light turned on. In came Tracey, no doubt retrieving some device for Pro. Oak. Dexter dared not hope that Tracey would stop to visit him, or even acknowledge his presence as he walked by. But if only he would! If only Dexter had a friendly hello every once-in-a-while – then he would not have to cry himself to sleep so many sleepless nights. (Wait... if the nights are sleepless how can he cry himself to sleep? Ignore that...)

Dexter thought that Tracey, at least, would remember him. How could Misty have known how to cure a Vileplume's Stun Spore if not for him? In fact, Tracey wouldn't have even met Pro. Oak without Dexter. Ash was the one who introduced them, and if it weren't for Dexter – Ash's Trainer License - , Officer Jenny would have sent Ash to jail the first day of his journey, therefore delayed his journey by at least a day. That meant he wouldn't have been where he was when he met Tracey at that exact moment, so Tracey might never have met Ash therefore he wouldn't have met Pro. Oak! Tracey owed Dexter a lot!

But... to Dexter's surprise, he saw Tracey begin to turn to him. He was walking in his direction! He was reaching out his hand! Could it be...?

No. Dexter's spirit deflated as fast as the jumper at this one Halloween party when someone wasn't thinking logically and unplugged it without knowing what it was – barely long enough for a bunch of kids to evacuate a room with a sinking floor. Tracey was not going to pick him up. He was putting something else down. It was... another PokeDex! Dexter got a warm, fuzzy feeling inside as he looked at machine.

She... was... beautiful.

Dexter could tell her owner had taken good care of her. Every bit of her gleamed and shined as bright as the sun itself.

Dexter began to sweat.

Wait... PokeDexs don't sweat. Never mind. Ignore that...

Talking to himself, Tracey said, “Hmm... now how do you install upgrades again?”

Dexter deflated again. She was just here for upgrades. It would take twelve hours at most. Then she would leave him.

Forget it, Dexter, he told himself, she's so new. You're much too obsolete for her, anyway.

“Upgrades installed. Should be ready in approximately eight hours.”

Wow... she had a beautiful voice.

“All right, then,” Tracey said to himself. “I guess I'll be on my way.” And he exited the lab.

Dexter and the new PokeDex were alone.

“Hello. I am Dextette,” greeted the new PokeDex.

Dextette...what a beautiful name.

“I am Dexter,” responded Dexter shyly.

And with that, they had a long conversation in which Dexter and Dextette fell even more in love.

o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0 o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

The next day, Tracey was about to get Dextette and mail her back to May.

“I am afraid I must leave soon,” said Dextette in the beautiful, robotic tone Dexter had learned to love in the past ten hours.

Dexter did not respond.

“What is wrong?” asked Dextette, looking worried.

“Nothing,” answered Dexter in the handsome, robotic tone Dextette had grown to love in the past ten hours, “It is just that no one cares about me. I am worthless and nothing but and obsolete piece of junk.”

“No, you are not!” protested Dextette.

“Yes, I am.”

“No, you are not.”

“Yes, I am.”

“Nu-uh!”

“Uh-huh!”

“Nu-uh!”

“Uh-huh!”

“Nu-uh!”

“Uh-huh!”

“Nu-uh!”

“Uh-huh!”

“Nu-uh!”

“Uh-huh!”

“Nu-uh!”

“Uh-huh!”

“Nu-uh!”

“Uh-huh!”

“Nu-uh!”

“Uh-huh!”

“Uh-huh!”

“Nu-uh!”

“Ha ha. You have admitted it. You are not an obsolete piece of junk.”

A pause.

“Do you know why?” asked Dextette.

“No, I do not.”

“It is because,” said Dextette, “it does not matter how long ago you were created. The only thing that is important is what is in your heart.”

o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0 o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Twenty years later, Dexter lay in his usual spot, thinking about his old friend, Dextette. He was now beginning to rust. By now, it was doubtless even Dextette was obsolete. He hadn't seen her since that day, but she had taught him a lesson he'd never forget.

A smile slowly formed on his non-existent lips as he remembered Dextette's words from so long ago.

“The only thing that is important is... what's in the heart.”

And then, he realized...

He was a PokeDex.

He didn't have a heart.
    Last edited by SheWhoLovesPineapples; 22nd June 2006 at 1:41 AM.

It was sad in the ending but funny XD He didn't have a heart! XD -cracks up-
    Oh, and I think this should be rated as G...since it doesn't really have anything to do with those...kind of stuff. And I thought all Dexters have the same voice? And it was quite complicated when you said

Dexter thought that Tracey, at least, would remember him. How could Misty have known how to cure a Vileplume's Stun Spore if not for him? In fact, Tracey wouldn't have even met Pro. Oak without Dexter. Ash was the one who introduced them, and if it weren't for Dexter – Ash's Trainer License - , Officer Jenny would have sent Ash to jail the first day of his journey, therefore delayed his journey by at least a day. That meant he wouldn't have been where he was when he met Tracey at that exact moment, so Tracey might never have met Ash therefore he wouldn't have met Pro. Oak! Tracey owed Dexter a lot!
    But funny XD
    STRAWBERRIES : DD
    (they rock and don't deny it or I'll send the strawberry army after you)

I feel so sad for poor Dexter. How could Ash and Tracey just forget about him like that? I've never even thought about his point of view until you posted this. That was a sad, yet funny story. I'm not really sure what that shipping is called. And I agree with May_Beautifly; It should be rated G. ANyway, I liked it. It was a good story.

THAT WAS JUST <3. I never thought of the Dexter and Dextette pairing. :P I want to read more Dexter and Dextette fanfics now.

take me somewhere stars are still asleep.

Cute story. ^^ It was slightly humorous, but I think it was very deep when you get down to it. And thank you so much for doing a weird, out-of-the-box ship like this. Excellent.
    But, there is room for improvement I'd like to point out.
    Slowly, small silvery (Is that a word?) tears ran down his cheeks.
    Yes, it's a word. On the same note:
    If only Dexter had a friendly hello every once-in-a-while – then he would not have to cry himself to sleep so many sleepless nights. (Wait... if the nights are sleepless how can he cry himself to sleep? Ignore that...)
    If the sentence makes no sense, edit it and make it sound correct. Don't point out your mistakes and then not correct them. =P
    Also, it's not a good idea to have author notes in parentheses. It chops up the story and then it doesn't flow right. That also goes for this here:
    “All right, then,” Tracey said to himself (Wait! He's talking to himself! Quick, call the asylum! Get a straight jacket!) “I guess I'll be on my way.” And he exited the lab.
    Tis kind of annoying. ^^;;
    Ever bit of her gleamed and shined as bright as the sun itself.
    EVERY...right? I'm sure just a typo.
    But nonetheless, cute plot and good idea for a ship. Keep up the good work. ^^
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

Thanks so much for the reviews, you guys.

Yeah, that meant to be "Every". I'll go fix that...

About the author's notes, those were supposed to be there, as like part of the story. I guess some people find them annoying but if they're in humor fics, and the notes are humorous, I personally don't mind them. So I'm going to keep them.

You're right, it is basically G, but since it has sort of dark humor and some people might find the idea of romance between machines disturbing, I'll keep it PG. Just in case.

But thanks so much for the reviews you guys! I'm obsessed with them.

...I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry reading this. It was such a cute and quirky story, but at the same time sad. The ending was very abrupt and moving, I felt so sorry for poor Dexter:'(

I agree with Encyclopika about the authors note in the story, though, it disrupts you concentration and can b difficult to read.

Overall, I thought this was a great fic, worthy of its stars

For some reason all the people here are sad. But everyone at FF.net wasn't...

Anyway, thanks for the reviews.

And, well, the author's notes weren't REAL author's notes. It's like, I know "silvery" is a word, but the narrator doesn't... so, like, yeah. But I'll keep that in mind next time I write a fic, I'm just not gonna bother to edit this one.
    Pearl Name: Aurora
    Friend Code: 2663 9162 0376

Just note that I suck at competitive battling.

Aw, that was so sad! I'm the sorta person who gets attached to things- electronics, furniture, etc., and I get sad and feel sorry for them when I have to get rid of them. I have images of them sitting all broken and unwanted in a dump during a storm . . . it's really sad. You know, this is really Japanesey too. The Japanese believe that something that was made with a lot of love, or something that is a hundred years old, has a soul, thus paper-umbrella monsters and the like. Anyway, it was well-written and sweet, and funny with all your "never mind that"s. It's unique and I liked it!
    These are my fanfics. Read them. Or not, whatever.
    Pokemon Generations: Satsumi's Journey (Chapter 2 Now Up!)
    My Fanfiction.net Profile

This is my Tumblr. Read it if you are so inclined.
    The Philosophy of Shipping (shipdr.tumblr.com)

Thanks^.^

Yeah, I get attatched to stuff like that too...

Japanesey? Ooh, it's like in that song! "You're easy breezy, and I'm Japanese-y..." That line totally cracks me up xD

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to say, since some people have said they don't like the fake author's notes, I took out one or two. Not all of them, though. Just the boring-est ones.
    Last edited by SheWhoLovesPineapples; 20th June 2006 at 3:30 AM.
    Pearl Name: Aurora
    Friend Code: 2663 9162 0376

Just note that I suck at competitive battling.