Thread: One Step Away (Final Fantasy VII, VincentxCait, PG-13)

Default One Step Away (Final Fantasy VII, VincentxCait, PG-13)

Well, I wanna help the "Bring Serebii more yaoi" crusade (brought to you by Phantom_Bugsy and myself), but I've posted all of my Pokemon fics. Thus, I'm moving on to my infamous FFVII fic with one of the most crack induced couples I like. Instead of posting all of the themes at once, I'll post one a day until I get to where I've stopped, at the thirteenth finished theme. I may post a few other works, but we'll start with this one...

One Step Away—Hey, You Know…

by Taitofan

Rated PG-13 for yaoi and crossbreeding

Disclaimer: If I owned Final Fantasy, I’d be rich. And I wouldn’t be writing fanfiction, now would I?

Author’s Note: Yes, I joined the 30_kisses challenge on LiveJournal. And I picked perhaps the oddest OTP I have. Hmmm, should prove to be amusing though. This is my first Final Fantasy fanfic of any kind, but I’m trying my best to keep people in character while still keeping it fluffy and light. Don’t expect a ton of angst from Vincent. He is falling in love again after all. Oh yes, and I like the theory that Cait does things on his own with an advanced AI program (no matter what the games says so call these AU if you’d like), so I’m going with that. Title significance? Vincent and Cait are both one step away from being human, so there you go. Oh, and unless otherwise stated, all of these themes are unrelated. Other than that… Enjoy my crack-induced one true pairing! :smile:

30_kisses theme: #5-“Hey, you know…”

Flames do nothing but make me laugh, although I'll listen to any CC you have. Please read, review, and enjoy! Finished 03-31-06

----------

Vincent hadn’t been devastated when Cloud had informed him who would be his partner for the latest split the team was taking. After all, it certainly could have been worse. It could have been Yuffie, who had the annoying habit of taking nonstop and shortening his name no matter how many times he glared at her. But still…

“Do you ever smile?”

…It certainly could have been better too.

Vincent pointedly ignored the robotic cat, opting instead to stare into the blazing fire, meant of course to keep them warm for the night. Cait almost pointed out that it had, in fact, been he and his fire materia to start it in the first place but decided against it. He still wanted an answer after all.

“Well? Are you going to answer me or not?” The silence he received was a good indication to Vincent’s reply. Cait wasn’t about to give up though. His AI system had plenty of information about manipulating people, and he was quite confident that he could get the man’s attention without being shot. He allowed his database to be scanned for anything that may help him and smirked as he picked up something that was, to put it lightly, very interesting.

Vincent was so engrossed with ignoring Cait that he didn’t even notice when the cat jumped off his Mog and slinked over to him. In fact, Cait thought that the man must be getting rusty, because he wasn’t even noticed until he had hopped into Vincent’s lap and was merely inches away from his face. This, needless to say, forced Vincent finally to pay the cat a bit of attention.

“What do you want?” He expected Cait to repeat his question again, but was surprised when he was met with silence…

…And a soft feeling against his lips.

He normally would have batted the cat away, threatening to tear out his circuitry if he tried a stunt like that again, but the feeling of being kissed for the first time since he’d been a member of the Turks made him pause. Sure, Cait wasn’t human, or even a cat, but his lips were surprisingly soft. Vincent figured it must be because of the plush material Reeve built him with and made a mental note to ask about it some other time. Right now, he had a kiss to return.

However, he never got his chance, as Cait pulled away just as Vincent was about to respond. Before the dark-haired man could say anything, whether it would be to yell at him or demand that he finish what he start, Cait had jumped off his lap and scampered back to his Mog. No words were spoken for quite a long time after that. It was probably for the best though. Vincent was much too busy wondering why in the world he’d actually been about to kiss the male robotic cat back to talk. Cait watched him carefully all the while, the smirk from before back in place. Just as Vincent decided that he’d kill for some hard liquor at the moment, Cait determined that it was time for the silence to be broken.

“Hey, you know…” Vincent looked over to Cait, sitting proudly upon his Mog, and gave him a nod that clearly said, ‘Go on.’ Cait felt his smirk widen a bit more before he continued. “I’m still not sure what you look like when you smile, but you’re really cute when you’re confused.”

Vincent didn’t say anything, but Cait hadn’t expected him to. He turned back to the fire, his back to the cat. If Cait had been able to see though, he’d have noticed the small grin gracing the pale man’s features. No doubt, Cait would have found it just as cute.

--------------------

Just barely makes a page, but it does~

So, this puppy caused quite a stir in the FFVII community. I was hearing from people all over the place... But hey, when you write about one of the most loved and most hated characters together, what do you expect? Especially when one is a robotic cat. X3

Next theme will be up tomorrow. I'm posting these in the original order I did them in, so next will be Candy. See ya then, and review please~
    Bishies: Luppi & Lady Bat|C.Bishie: Clopin|VG.Bishie: Gale|Pokemon: Ariados
    Ships: ReijixSaturn, KafeixVaati, MeltxLezard & NoelxLeon
    Twin: Vycksta

Shipping Face-Off (Ultimate Face-Off of 2007): Best Shinji/Paul Ship

Holy crap. That's really adorable! X333 Awwww, Cait.

Purrrrrrr.

Sankyuu Oos~ Yes, Cait is aww-worthy. He's totally my favorite character, and I always use him in my team (Cloud, Vincent, Cait) if possible. I've even kicked out Vincent for Cait when I was forced to bring along someone else. I can't believe people hate him and Yuffie because of their "betrayals" when the game would have been boring without them. Stupid fanboys/girl...

Oddly enough, a lot of my reviews at LJ and FF.net consist of "That pairing is sick and wrong, but this fic is cute, I kinda like it, and I'm gonna keep watching it." Then three chapters later I'd get, "Dammit, now you made me like it!" I converted at least five people who talked to me. X3 And who knows who just didn't want to admit it. Anyways, here's the next one.

One Step Away—Candy

by Taitofan

Disclaimer: If I owned Final Fantasy, I’d be rich. And I wouldn’t be writing fanfiction, now would I?

Author’s Note: The next in the series. More humor than the last one. And please don’t think that I’m bashing Yuffie, because I’m not. I love Yuffie, as she’s my third fave character after Cait and Vincent, but she just fits the part of annoying brat. I have something more flattering planned for her later… Anyways, more VincentxCait goodness from perhaps the only fan this couple has. :heart:

30_kisses theme: #23-Candy

Flames do nothing but make me laugh, although I'll listen to any CC you have. Please read, review, and enjoy! Finished 04-01-06

----------

Vincent didn’t know where Cait had gotten the candy, but he had a good feeling that either he’d stolen it, or he’d gotten Yuffie to steal it for him. Either way, bad intentions had gone into acquiring the sweets, and he wanted nothing to do with them…

But Cait was nothing if not persistent.

“Vincent!” The robotic cat whined, sounding just like a child who’d forgone their nap. “Here I am being nice and offering to share, and you won’t trust me! That’s very rude you know!”

“And it was rude of you to steal that candy,” Vincent shot back, hoping to get the cat to leave him alone. He knew better than to think that it would work though.

“I didn’t steal—”

“Then it was rude of you to have Yuffie steal it for you.” The pale man decided that when Cait pouted like that, it was easy to forget that he wasn’t human. Annoying little pest or not, he was awfully cute… He quickly stopped those thoughts in their tracks. There was no time for that now.

“I’ll have you know that Aerith bought this for me!” Vincent wasn’t impressed though, and the pointed stare he gave the cat demanded answers. “Okay… She bought it for me as long as I promised to stop pulling Nanaki’s tail. I can’t help it if it’s so tempting though, just swinging without a care in the world…”

“One would think that Reeve would have programmed more self-control into you…” Cait chose to ignore that and instead picked up a foil-wrapped chocolate kiss. He’d tried being nice, but if Vincent didn’t want one… “Is that chocolate?” Cait smirked.

“Why yes, yes it is. But since you don’t want any of my candy…” He carefully unwrapped the chocolate and brought it up to his plush lips. The look on Vincent’s face at that moment clearly conveyed that he wanted the candy, but that he wasn’t about to beg for it like Cait obviously wanted. Mentally sighing, Cait placed the chocolate between his plush lips and pounced into Vincent’s lap. Before Vincent could question the cat’s intentions, Cait had brought their lips together in a passionate kiss.

Vincent automatically responded to the kiss, glad that he and his lover were alone. If anyone knew about their odd relationship, he’d never hear the end of it… But there was no time for such thoughts. Cait’s small tongue, made of synthetic rubber meant to feel like that of a real cat, darted out and pushed the chocolate from his own mouth to Vincent’s. As soon as it had been successfully transported, Cait pulled away and grinned up at Vincent.

“Do you like it?” Vincent let the chocolate kiss, ironically giving to him via a real kiss, melt in his mouth, filling his taste buds with its rich flavor.

“Yes, it’s wonderful… But I thought you didn’t want to share anymore?” Cait chuckled and grabbed another piece of candy before snuggling in the man’s lap.

“Silly Vincent, I’m a robot. I don’t even eat.” He unwrapped the candy and noted that it was another chocolate kiss, white chocolate this time. “I just wanted an excuse to kiss you.” With a smirk, he popped the candy in his mouth and leaned up, pressing their lips together yet again.

The pile of candy was quite large, but they were in no hurry… And as piece after piece disappeared, they decided that they’d definitely have to thank Aerith when they got the chance.

--------------------

Another that just barely makes it without the notes. But I checked and it fits. Phew~

I love Cait. And Vincent. They're my fave characters. And that was actually how I started liking VincentxCait. One day I thought, "Gee, a lot of my OTPs are my favorite two characters together. What about here... Cait and Vincent? ...Well, if Cait had AI then it could work..." Then I imagined it, and wow, it was hot. It was soon my OTP, and I just had to share with the world. Lucky you~

Well, Dash should be up tonight or tomorrow, depending on how soon I get some reviews. I know you people are looking at this; I can see the view count! Please please please review, even if it's just a rant on how wrong I am. It'll give me a chance to launch into my "Why VincentxCait works in canon" speech. X3 And I'll give you cookies. Please, do it for the cookies~

I LIKE COOKIES. Besides, all MY fics are headed to the second page so I know how it is.

But omg. Candy and yaoi are ALWAYS a good combination. X33 Always makes for the CUUUUUTEST stuff. and you conveyed it wonderfully.

Purrrrrrr.

Oos, I believe that with these awards, people are scrambling to post as many Unholy Trinity (my new nickname for Poke/Contest/Advance) fics as humanly possible. I'm lucky that this has multiple parts, or it'd be gone by now... Anyways, thanks! Yeah, candy always works; I'm just glad I can make it work for an angst queen and a robotic cat. X3

Well, here's the next one. Longer this time, and starting what my sister calls my "let's make Cait emo instead of Vincent" campaign. I suppose she's right. ^^;

One Step Away—Dash

by Taitofan

Author’s Note: This ended up a lot more melancholy than I’d originally planned. Oh well, some of these will be sweet, some will be sad, some will the funny… That’s why I only have the category as romance. I have to keep things interesting after all. And yes, I know that Cait has been the focus of these so far, but Vincent will get his turn. I still have twenty-seven of these left after all. :wink:

30_kisses theme: #9-Dash

Flames do nothing but make me laugh, although I'll listen to any CC you have. Please read, review, and enjoy! Finished 04-01-06

----------

It was raining.

And Cait hated the rain.

It wasn’t because he was afraid that he’d short-circuit or anything, since Reeve had been sure to put an impermeable waterproof layer between his synthetic fur and his circuitry. He could fall into the ocean and still come out unscathed. No, it was for a much simpler reason that he loathed the rain…

It made his fur wet. And wet fur clung in strange ways, making him feel, well, like a wet cat. He refused to voice his concerns to his teammates though, for fear that they’d ridicule him, a mere robot, for caring what his fur looked like or how it felt. After all, it wasn’t as if he could really feel it or anything.

He sighed as he realized how little they truly knew. He’d never taken the time to explain about his AI system, or the hundreds of thousands of tiny sensors around his body that allowed him to feel things. When he got hurt during battle, he felt the pain just like any of they did. And when the sun was shining and there was a gentle breeze, he felt that too. But they didn’t know that. And because of their ignorance, he was going to have to leave the shelter of the large cave they’d stayed overnight in and go into the cold rain. And get wet.

Oh, how Cait hated the rain.

“Are you alright Cait?” The question was spoken just loud enough for him, with his enhanced sense of sound, to hear. Cait looked up at the voice and smiled wearily. Okay, so he’d taken the time to explain things to one of his teammates, but their situation was a tad bit different…

“I’m fine Vincent. Nothing to worry about…” The gunman didn’t believe that for a second though. He sat down next to the cat, glad that everyone else was too busy fighting over the day’s plans to notice they’d gone off, let alone to pay them any attention.

“You know, your artificial intelligence doesn’t make you a good liar. Perhaps you should ask Reeve to fix that once you see him again.” Cait appreciated Vincent’s sense of humor, really he did. And he didn’t mind the man mentioning the fact that he was a robot either. He’d come to accept that fact a long time ago, and he wasn’t about to start mourning his fate now. But still…

“I wish I could tell them.” Vincent visible paled, which was hard considering how light his skin was to begin with. Cait immediately noticed this and elaborated. “Not about that. I mean about me. You know, what makes me tick. I think a lot of them still think that Reeve controls every move I make, knows everything I do… I guess I should like that though, huh? Makes what I did at the temple seem more like his fault than mine, as selfish as that sounds. Guess I’m just a selfish guy. But I still wonder what they’d think if they knew that I choose to send the information to Reeve; that he only knows what’s going on when I want him to. I want to tell them but…”

Vincent didn’t say anything as Cait trailed off. He understood all to well how hard it was to want to tell your friends the truth, only to find that you just couldn’t. But he knew that whatever Cait decided, it had to be his decision. They stayed silent for a few minutes, the only sounds being their bickering teammates and the heavy rain.

“And I really hate the rain.” Vincent nodded, not fazed by the seemingly random change of subject.

“That makes sense. You are a cat after all.” Cait could have said how much he appreciated that, but he knew that Vincent realized it already. He was just like that. So instead, he just smiled and kept his gaze out towards the rain.

“Indeed.”

The comfortable silence was back. It was all right though, since Vincent wasn’t much for talking in the first place and Cait didn’t feel like saying anything anyway. Cait was surprised, however, when Vincent leaned over and placed a soft kiss right below his ear. If he’d had the capability to blush, he knew that his face would be bright red. He’d have to thank Reeve later for leaving that ability out.

“…Aren’t you afraid that someone will see?” Vincent shook his head slightly, reaching up and brushing his human hand gently against his beloved’s soft face.

“Not particularly.” Cait opened his mouth, though he wasn’t even sure what he wanted to say, only to be cut off by a hyperactive voice.

“Hey guys! Quit your moping over there and get ready to run!” Yuffie ran over to them as the other stood up and added softly, “And you might want to be careful who you do that mushy stuff in front of. I think it’s adorable, but I doubt everyone would feel that way.” Ignoring their surprised looks at being caught, she gave them a wink and bounded to the front of the cave, inside it just enough to stay dry.

Somehow, the thought of Yuffie being the only one to know their secret was both scary and comforting all at the same time.

“She’s right,” Cloud announced, not looking happy about having to run through the rain and have to fight in it along the way. “The weather might be bad, but we can’t waste anymore time here. Will you be okay Cait?” Cait was only mildly surprised to hear their leader’s concern. He was still getting used to them even knowing that he was a robot, let alone having them forgive him.

“Of course I’ll be fine!” He announced with a laugh, his usual demeanor taking over. “Nothing can stop the great Cait Sith!” His confident tone put them at ease, all with the exception of the resident gunman. It seemed that Cait wasn’t quite ready to tell the truth yet. That was fine though; there was no hurry.

“Good, then let’s get this over with.” Everyone nodded and gathered around the entrance, ready to dash out into the chilly rain. Cait tried his best not to think about it. It wouldn’t be that long before they’d find a town and a nice cozy inn. …As long as there weren’t any monsters to delay them… Although the monsters were probably smart enough not to be out in such weather.

“Ready and… Go!” The rag-tag group dashed out, hoping that wherever they were headed, it’d have shelter. Cait tried to shrink down into his Mog as it carried him, though it was to no avail. He was going to be soaked by the time they reached a town, he just knew it…

So why wasn’t he wet yet?

A quick glance up showed that Vincent was holding back to go the same speed as the Mog, his metal claw holding his cape over Cait as they ran so the robotic cat would stay dry. He felt what would be the equivalent to his heart speeding up at the sweet gesture, amazed that someone could care so much about his feelings. Though if there was anyone who could understand how different he felt, Vincent was certainly it.

He smiled brightly, making a mental note to thank Vincent properly once they were alone. Even if no one in the universe could ever understand how he felt, having the pale man around would be good enough for him. After all, what better way to show your love than to dash through the rain with them?

And if anyone other than Yuffie, who of course noticed the subtle display of affection and found it adorable, saw the seemingly odd behavior the two were showing that day, they didn’t mention it. Some things were just better left unsaid.

--------------------

Hey, Cait has angst potential too. Vincent can't hog it all to himself. ^.~ And I like Yuffie if you haven't been able to tell. She pops up a lot, as will another couple later on. Next is Say ahh...

Now... I know Oos hasn't read this thirty times, so please, for the love of God/Allah/Buddha/your cat/whoever, review. Right now Oos has all of my cookies, and I know you want some too.

FOR THE LOVE OF JOLY.

But I like your cookies! ;0;

And...OMGANGSTY!Cait. X33 Cuuuuuuuute.

Purrrrrrr.

Hehe, if it's for Joly's love, I must be doing something right. ^.~ Yeah, I think Cait angsts better than Vincent personally. Vincent is better as wryly sarcastic in my opinion... And dun worry, you'll get my best cookies anyways, cause no one else wants to review, though I know you're reading! *points at reader* You! Review with the haste! But, uh, read this chapter first of course.

One Step Away—Say Ahh…

by Taitofan

Author’s Note: Ah huh, so here’s one based more on Vincent than Cait, because we need to know what the pretty gunman thinks too. I tried to keep him as in character as possible considering the subject. There will be plenty of time for fluffy OOCness later. I’m not sure how to classify this one either, as it seems to jump from angst to comedy to romance and back again at various points. And I know the subject seems farfetched, but just go with me, okay? Oh well, enjoy anyways!

30_kisses theme: #18-“Say ahh…”

----------

Vincent might not have been completely human, what with the ability to change into demons and his inability to age, but that didn’t mean that he was entirely immune from humane conditions. For example, he was still able to bleed, cry, blush—not that he did those last two mind you—and apparently, catch a cold.

It wasn’t anything major, but he still didn’t want to slow the group down. So while they went to check out a remote mountain for answers, he opted to stay in town so that he’d be fully recovered once they got back. They felt that this was a good idea, since in the long run it’d be better to have him miss out just this once then risk him overexerting himself and dying. And they had a good feeling, rightfully so, that he’d do just that. There was, however, one person who had a problem with Vincent staying by himself…

…Or rather, one robotic cat.

Cait had argued that if Vincent was all alone, then he’d have to take care of himself. And since that negated the purpose of him resting, it was only logical that one of them stay with the ill man. And since he had a built-in library of medical knowledge, he’d take the noble task of staying behind. The others, thinking that this was just an excuse so that Cait could get out of fighting but knowing that he had a point, agreed.

Vincent had no say in the matter, or he’d certainly have protested.

“Say ahh…” Vincent gave Cait his best glare, but the fact that he could barely raise his head off the pillow probably took away from its normal menacing feel. Cait, sitting on his Mog next to the bed, just glared back. “I said, say ahh!”

“It is merely a cold,” Vincent murmured, refusing to allow the thermometer into his mouth. “There is no need for you to—” Cait, fed up with the way Vincent had been treating him since the others had left them in the inn the day before, shoved it into his mouth regardless.

“You keep saying that, and yet you’ve just gotten worse since yesterday. You can’t even get out of bed anymore! Now leave that in your mouth until I tell you to take it out or I’ll tie you down and have my way with you regardless!” Vincent felt his face flush at the suggestive threat but chalked it up to his illness. After all, this was Cait Sith, not Lucrecia’s reincarnation… He decided not to tempt the irate cat though and allowed the thermometer to stay in place until time was up and Cait removed it.

“Vincent! You have a temperature of one hundred and two! No wonder you can’t move! I need to go get some medicine…” Before he could rush out of the room, Vincent’s hand shot out and grabbed a hold of his arm. Cait was glad it was his human hand, as the metal one probably would have crushed his mechanical arm with the force the man was using. “Vincent, let me go—”

“No,” Vincent insisted, using all of his remaining strength to keep Cait where he was. “Don’t leave.” Cait felt his breath hitch.

“…Why?” Vincent sighed, closing his eyes and slowly letting his grip loosen.

“You should just let me die.” Cait didn’t know what to say at first. That wasn’t quite what he was expecting… Wasn’t even close in fact. And that upset him on many levels.

“Die?! You want me to let you die? Are you insane?! You get me all hopeful that you’ll finally tell me what I want to hear and all you give me is your typical pity party? Vincent Valentine, you are extremely selfish!” And with that, Cait stormed out of the room as best he could on a giant Mog. Vincent felt his head spin, a result of the fever and Cait’s confusing words. What he’d wanted to hear? What did that mean?

Not able to deal with all of the pressures of being conscious anymore, he quickly fell asleep. The last thing he wondered before he drifted off was if Cait would even bother to come back.

----------

When Vincent finally awoke, he immediately noticed three things. One, it must be morning because the sun was out. Two, he felt much better than he had before he fell asleep, to the point that he thought his fever must be gone. And three, Cait was sitting where he’d been before he’d run out, looking more concerned than Vincent could ever remember seeing him.

“Oh Vincent, you’re all right! I was so worried…” His delighted expression suddenly darkened. “That doesn’t mean that I’ve forgiven you though. Just what do you think dying will accomplish?” Vincent almost didn’t answer, as he was wrapped up in question after question, each one coming back to Cait.

“…Atonement,” he finally replied, causing Cait to glare at him. Vincent didn’t have the heart to tell him that his squinted eyes stopped him from looking in the least bit intimidating.

“I’d tell you to give up on that woman, but I know it won’t matter. I highly doubt that she’d want you to die for her sake though.” He allowed Vincent to say something in his defense but was only met with silence. Thus, he continued. “What does she have that I don’t?” That got Vincent’s attention.

“Excuse me?” Cait crossed his arms, a pout forming on his feline face.

“You heard me. What was so special about her? What did she have that I, the great Cait Sith, fortune teller extraordinaire, don’t have?” Vincent almost expected Cait to yell out, ‘Just kidding!’ but no such luck. He was serious, and Vincent didn’t know what to say. There were many ways that Lucrecia and Cait differed, the biggest obviously being that the former was a female human, and the latter was a male robotic cat. Even their demeanors were completely opposite each other. Lucrecia had been quiet, kind, and patient, whereas Cait was loud, obnoxious, and selfish. But still…

He hadn’t been that selfish when he’d stayed behind to help Vincent, or when he’d rushed out to get medicine. That was a kind gesture indeed. And he’d been quiet since they’d been left alone with the exception of a few outbursts. Sure, he could get on Vincent’s last nerve with little or no effort, but who didn’t those days? Perhaps he had the cat pegged all wrong. He supposed that he could at least hear Cait out…

“Tell me,” the gunman eventually said, specifically ignoring the previous questions, “how long have I been asleep for?” Cait didn’t look pleased at the change of subject, but he answered regardless.

“If you fell asleep right after I left, then it’s been over half a day. It’s almost noontime now. I can get you some food if you’d like.” Vincent pulled himself up so that he was leaning against the headboard and shook his head.

“That won’t be necessary at the moment. I have something else I would like to ask you.” Cait nodded, concern that Vincent would tire himself out again evident on his face. Sometimes it was hard to remember that Cait wasn’t a human himself.

“Go on.” Vincent wondered how he could phrase his question without seeming too upfront… Then decided that with someone like Cait, it was best to be frank.

“Are you in love with me?” He’d been expecting either a denial or a confession, so when Cait merely smirked and hopped from his Mog to the bed, he’d admit to being more than a bit surprised.

“I think,” Cait whispered, bringing his face ever so close to Vincent’s, “that you already know the answer to that. Now, say ahh…” And with that, Cait’s lips were on Vincent’s. It’d certainly been a long time since he’d last kissed anyone, but he quickly got back into the swing of things and moved his lips hungrily, surprisingly finding the thought of kissing Cait to be exciting. For a moment he almost pulled away; he was still ill after all, even if his enhanced system mixed with whatever medicine he’d received the night before had more or less cured him. But then he remembered that Cait was a robot, and thus, he couldn’t get sick in the first place. In fact, as a robot, he’d probably downloaded kissing techniques, as Vincent was sure the cat had never had first hand experience before. This led him to wonder what else he knew…

And as Cait showed him exactly all the things he’d learned, Vincent couldn’t help but retract his earlier desire that he’d been left alone. The next time he got sick, he was making sure that Cait stayed with him. In fact, maybe he’d be sick again next month…

--------------------

...Of course, that doesn't mean I won't let them angst together, you know? ^.~ Gods, Cait is fun to write. You can't write about too many FFVII guys pouting and get away with it... Except maybe Cloud. But he's girly anyways. And Vincent is perfect to compliment Cait's "I'm the greatest things since Mako" attitude. Why write CidxVincent when he goes with Cait so much more? ...Besides, Vincent is seme material dammit. Long hair doesn't automatically make you uke... >.>

Yep. Next is Good Night, which is... Well, you'll have to wait and see. I really like the next one though. In six more themes, the secondary couple finally pops up. By the time I get that far, my Harvest Moon fic will hopefully be done, and I'll stick that up in the shipping fics too. Non-Pokemon fics might not get a lot of attention, but I gotta keep up the crusade...

Well, I waited all day, but no reviews... So here's the next chapter regardless. I really like this one, so enjoy!

One Step Away—Good Night

by Taitofan

Author’s Note: Enough angst for a while, right? Let’s get something a bit more humorous… And luckily, Cait is quite good at that. Now, as for these fics… Let me assure everyone that these are not jokes. This truly is my favorite couple in the fandom. And also, these are being posted mere minutes after the 30_kisses community gets them, so you’re not missing out. Potential major OOCness depending on how bold you think these guys are, but nothing too earth shattering. And this is the first one to get a sequel too. Look for it next!

30_kisses theme: #24-Good night

Flames do nothing but make me laugh, although I'll listen to any CC you have. Please read, review, and enjoy! Finished 04-03-06

----------

The moon was bright and the stars were twinkling, and no matter how hard you looked, there wasn’t a single cloud to block the gorgeous view. In short, it was a very romantic night; the kind where you could just cuddle up to your lover and gaze up at the heavens without a care in the world… Unfortunately for the motley group, the world was in danger of being destroyed, so there wasn’t much time for romance. In fact, they were only now stopping for the night because eighty-nine percent of the group was ready to pass out from the sheer exhaustion traveling and fighting monsters all day brought. And the remaining eleven percent was a robotic cat, who was just plain sick of the daily routine.

Therefore, they’d stopped in the safest place they could find, considering the nearest town was still half a day’s walk away. It was all right though, since it really was the perfect night. And a world to save or not, the romantic atmosphere the millions of stars gave off wasn’t completely lost on everybody…

Everyone was finally getting situated for some well-deserved sleep when Cait had an epiphany. All day long, he’d been ignored by a certain someone. He and that someone might not have been that close, as far as the others were concerned at least, but normally he’d a least get a glance or a smile, or something. But no, even Cait’s “Thanks for saving me,” after a particularly hard battle had gone completely ignored. This was not acceptable. And he had an idea to get the attention he craved…

No one crosses the great Cait Sith and gets away with it, not even you lover boy…

“Vincent!” The cat’s call was loud enough for everyone to hear, causing eight heads to turn to him simultaneously. The man in question raised an eyebrow, wondering what in the world he could possibly want.

“Yes, Cait Sith?” Cait frowned at the formal use of his full name. The only time the “Sith” followed was in front of their teammates. Well, quite frankly, he was sick of it. He’d had enough deception to last a lifetime thank you very much. They were coming out of the closet one way or another that night, whether the gunman wanted to or not.

The curious glances the two received only made him want to make this torture as sweet as possible even more.

“You know, it might get kinda cold tonight. Can you come over here and keep me warm?” If Cait’s eyes could open, Vincent was sure they’d be shining with that ‘Do whatever I say because I’m cute’ look. He wasn’t sure what his secret lover was up too, and he didn’t think that he wanted to know. Cait’s scheming rarely was a good thing.

“Your programming will increase your internal temperature should the need arise.” Cait crossed his arms and pouted. That was cold, even for Vincent. But he wasn’t done yet.

“Then why don’t you just come keep me company? I’ll be so lonely all by myself…” Vincent would have groaned, had it not have been completely out of character for him. He had a good feeling as to what Cait’s game was, and he really didn’t want to deal with this at the moment…

“You have your Mog for company, which you shouldn’t even need if you sleep—”

“Ah, but I don’t sleep!” Cait interrupted, a smirk adorning his face. Vincent was unfazed and continued on as if nothing had happened.

“—and if you decide not to power down for the night, I won’t have you bother me while I try to sleep.” With that, he abruptly sat down, leaned against a tree, and closed his eyes. Cait’s smirk disappeared and was replaced with a downfallen look. His plan had backfired, and now Vincent was mad at him for trying to out him.

I deserve it… Maybe I’ll just power down and not bother to turn myself back on…’ Of course, Vincent had been entrusted with his override commands, but he honestly didn’t know if the man would even want him back…

Vincent knew he was being harsh. He’d ignored Cait all day because Yuffie was giving them looks that he didn’t like one little bit. If she suspected something, it would be best for them to keep as much distance between themselves as they possibly could. But Cait obviously hadn’t felt the same way, leading to his “revenge.” And now he felt horrible… Cait was just being himself; could Vincent blame him for that?

He cracked open an eye and saw Cait, slumped on top of his Mog, looking miserable. He let the slightest of sighs escape his lips. Of course he couldn’t blame Cait; he loved the little twit, like it or not. And if that was what Cait wanted, than dammit, that was what Vincent would give him. He’d let his love life slip through his fingers once, and there was no way in the seven depths of hell he was letting it happen again.

Cait was two seconds away from powering down when he felt a body sit down next to him. Curiosity being his nature, he turned and was amazed to see his lover looking at him intently. He was afraid for a moment; Vincent wasn’t going to tear him apart with that claw of his, was he? No, he wouldn’t do that, no matter how upset he got. But, then why was he…?

His questions were all answered when he felt a pair of lips upon his own. He squeaked at the sudden public display of affection, the movement allowing Vincent’s tongue to seek out his own synthetic one. They kissed fervidly for a few moments before the gunman pulled away. Cait could only stare, utterly dazed, at the handsome man smirking before him.

“I just thought that you would like a good night kiss before we went to sleep. Was that sufficient?” Cait got his wits back together and nodded, a smile back on his lips.

“Why, I believe that was the best good night kiss you’ve ever given me. May I have another tomorrow night?” Vincent chucked and pulled Cait from his Mog and into his lap.

“Whatever you wish my love. Good night Cait.” The robotic cat snuggled into his embrace and sighed contently.

“Night Vincent.”

As Vincent fell asleep and Cait went into standby mode, seven other forgotten beings watched with open jaws and wide eyes. That entire scene was possibly the most unexpected thing any of them had ever seen. The thought of Vincent Valentine and Cait Sith together was simply mind boggling…

Well, for most of them at least.

“I told you,” Yuffie giggled, poking Cloud’s side. “Now you owe me a new materia when we get to town.” Cloud sighed and mourned the loss of his gil to the bratty ninja. He could have sworn Vincent wanted Cid, not Cait…

That was the last time he ever made a bet on his friend’s love lives.

--------------------

Heh, actually, Cloud is glad he was wrong. *hinthint*

Next is In a Good Mood. I love it, cause I cross boundaries that shouldn't be crossed. <3 Vincent smiling=trouble. But good trouble. Gods, I love these two~

Well, see y'all tomorrow. Remember, my cookies are good and you want them! *enter Jedi mind tricks here*

Yeah, so I don't have any reviewers anymore... But since the view count keeps going up, I can only assume that someone is reading it. So I'll keep posting chapters. Though a review, even a little one, would be nice...

One Step Away—In a Good Mood

by Taitofan

Rated PG-13 for yaoi, crossbreeding, and implied sexual content

Author’s Note: OOCness abound! This one might be pushing R, but I’m gonna stick with a strong PG-13. Let’s just say that though nothing happens, the squeamish might want to be careful. In fact, anyone on pins and needles about this couple might want to watch out. This one happens some time after “Good Night,” since the crew knows about Vincent and Cait. Other than that, the time it takes place is up to you. I actually managed to give everyone a speaking part this time, so I hope I didn’t screw up anyone too badly. For some reason, I just can’t get the idea that Yuffie would be extremely supportive out of my head… And please don’t think I’m bashing anyone, because I like all of the main cast. They’re all too cool for their own goods.

30_kisses theme: #12-In a good mood

Flames do nothing but make me laugh, although I'll listen to any CC you have. Please read, review, and enjoy! Finished 04-03-06

----------

When Vincent Valentine smiled, you knew something drastic had happened.

Especially a real smile. They occasionally saw a smirk after they brought down an enemy, or an angst-ridden twitch of the lips, but a full-blown grin? That was something they’d never seen and never thought they would see. …It was kind of disturbing.

“Maybe he thought up a way to kill Hojo, slowly and painfully,” Cloud suggested. Tifa shook her head decidedly.

“No, he’d still mope about that, no matter how much he wants to do it. Maybe he’s possessed.” There were many nods to that.

“Makes sense,” Cid agreed. “He’s too fucking happy to be in his right state of mind.” The only one who didn’t seem impressed with either view was Yuffie.

“Nah, you’re all wrong. I bet he got laid.”

The silence that followed was deafening, until…

What?!” Six voices yelled at the same time, making the ninja wince at the sheer volume.

“Keep it down! You want him to hear us?” Although no one knew where he was at the moment, and he could very well be within hearing distance, no one seemed to care.

“But Yuffie,” Aerith tried to reason with her, “Vincent seems devoted to Cait Sith. He doesn’t seem like the type to be unfaithful.” Yuffie just smirked.

“Who said anything about him cheating?” The mental images some of the got at the thought of Vincent and Cait doing those things made them shiver.

“What the hell you talkin’ ‘bout?” Barret thundered. “They can’t— Well, you know.” She rolled her eyes. And to think she was the youngest one here…

“Have sex. And sure they can. Cait has a tongue, a mouth, fingers, and a tail. That’d be sufficient for old Vince’s pleasure.” The looks she was receiving made her feel like she’d sprouted another head, a really nasty looking one at that.

“…And how exactly do you know the mechanics of gay sex?” She scoffed at Cloud’s question, waving her hand in a dismissive manner.

“I’m sure you don’t wanna know, so let’s leave it at that. The point is, he’s in a good mood because Cait went down on him. End of story.”

As the inevitable argument about Vincent and Cait’s sex life, or lack thereof as most of them believed, began, no one noticed as two figures approached them…

“What are you all yelling about? You’re giving me a headache!” The deadly silence once again prevailed. The seven Avalanche members slowly turned around, various degrees of embarrassment on their faces. They certainly hoped they hadn’t been heard…

“We noticed you smiling quite a bit today Vincent,” Nanaki spoke up when it seemed that no one, not even Yuffie, was going to answer Cait. “We were just trying to figure out why.” Cait’s insane laughter shocked them all.

“Maybe you should listen to Yuffie for once then!” The embarrassment suddenly morphed into mortification.

“Y-you heard us?” Tifa stuttered, her face as bright red as a tomato. The amused look Vincent and Cait shared was more than enough of an answer.

“So then I was right?” Yuffie questioned eagerly.

“Yes,” Vincent finally spoke up, that same grin from earlier in the day still in place, “my good mood is indeed because of Cait’s skillful tongue. Very perceptive of you.” She giggled then, both at the unexpected compliment and at the fact that the older males in the group looked ill. Tifa was very apparently confused, Aerith smiled in her normal happy manner, and Cloud just sighed.

“That’s… great you two, just don’t stay up all night doing those things. We don’t need you tired when we’re fighting.” Barret and Cid’s faces grew a bit greener with each passing moment.

“No problem,” Vincent replied smoothly, leaning down and kissing Cait on the cheek, simply because he knew that it would upset two certain someones. And he wasn’t disappointed.

“Yeah, we’ll just have our fun when we stop during the day instead!” Barret promptly fainted, leaving Cait laughing and Vincent chuckling as they went off for some privacy.

“Why me?” Cid muttered, reaching for a cigarette. Nanaki was too shocked to say anything, as was Tifa.

“Well,” Yuffie giggled cheerfully, still pleased with herself, “that was interesting.”

“Yes,” Aerith agreed with a smile, “no one can say that saving the planet is boring.”

Cloud shook his head as he attempted to wake up Barret. The next time Vincent was in a good mood, he hoped everyone would just keep their big mouths shut…

--------------------

Yay for crossing the boundary of manxrobotic cat sex! Well, implied at least. Whether they really did those things or just said they did to freak out Barret and Cid is up to you. We me, either is plausible. X3

Next is Fence, which is humor, plain and simple. And though this is getting repetitive... Review please~

Eh, let's just skip this and get to the fic, shall we? *hopes the non-Pokemon section becomes a reality*

One Step Away—Fence

by Taitofan

Author’s Note: Ah, back to sanity… Somewhat at least. This one isn’t related to anything else, unlike the last two themes. Um… There isn’t much to say. I have some future themes planned that involve some other characters, including Reeve, in case anyone’s curious. Some angsty ones, as well as more sap and humor. I can’t let my favorite characters be sad, now can I?

30_kisses theme: #25-Fence

Flames do nothing but make me laugh, although I'll listen to any CC you have. Please read, review, and enjoy! Finished 04-05-06

----------

Avalanche was going to do it! It was a beautiful day, there were no monsters around, and spirits were high. They were on their way to take Sephiroth down, and nothing was going to stop them! Not even the large fence they came across and swiftly hopped over. Nope, nothing could stand in their way…

Well, for most of them at least. Cait, however, was having a few technical difficulties.

“Hey, wait you guys!” he yelled to them. “I can’t get over!” The rest of the group stopped and turned around, some more reluctantly than others, and saw that the cat was right. The fence was much too high for his Mog to get over. They’d have to stop and help…

“Go on,” Vincent spoke up, surprising them. “There’s no need for all of us to be delayed. Cait Sith and I will catch up.” This apparent spur of the moment desire of his to help confused most of them, but no one questioned it. He did have a point. And thus, they were off again, determined to let nothing stop in their way!

Once they were out of sight, Vincent let a smirk grace his features and sauntered back to the fence, leaning on it casually. Cait frowned at his expression. As much as he appreciated being the only one to get to see the gunman like this, that smirk never meant anything good…

“You’re stuck.” If Cait had been able to, he’d have rolled his eyes at that smug tone.

“How observant of you Vince,” he replied, his voice laced with obvious sarcasm. “I suppose next you’ll be informing me that Cloud’s hair is spiky, or that Cid smokes too much, or that you’re not nearly as quiet as everyone thinks you are.” Vincent didn’t let his irritated companion bother him. He was having much too fun at the moment.

“You need my help.” Cait sighed, already exasperated with the entire situation.

“Well, it’s too late to call someone nice like Aerith back, so I suppose that you’ll have to do.” Vincent chuckled, but didn’t move a muscle.

“I believe you’re just upset because you’re helpless. If I don’t help you, you’d have to leave your Mog, and then you couldn’t fight. And to think the great Cait Sith was brought down by a fence… A lot of good your dice are now.” Cait’s frown turned into a scowl, especially since he knew the gunman was right.

“I could always chuck ‘em at your head. That might make me feel better.” The dark-haired man laughed and kissed Cait’s cheek.

“You know you love me.” The robotic cat didn’t look impressed.

“You certainly seem confident about that, don’t you?” Vincent nodded and kissed him again, this time on the nose.

“Come now Cait, I was only teasing you. You’re just so adorable when you’re angry…” Cait wanted to stay mad, really he did. But all of those kisses Vincent was placing over his body were rather distracting…

“Oh, Vince… Come on, we gotta catch up— Ah! Vince!” Perhaps Cait didn’t have flesh, but he had enough sensors over his body to make him just as sensitive as any human. And Vincent did love watching him squirm… But Cait was right. If they didn’t get going soon, someone would probably come looking for them… And with their luck, it’d be Yuffie. He did not want the sneaky ninja to see them like this.

“All right, you win.” Cait’s internal circuits were going crazy from the overload of sensations, but he managed to compose himself enough to jump on Vincent’s shoulder while the gunman pulled the Mog over the fence. Soon, it was on the ground and ready to be boarded. Unfortunately for Vincent, Cait seemed perfectly content to sit on his shoulder.

“Ah, look at the view! And it’s so comfy too!” His enthusiasm earned him an amused sigh.

“You wanted your Mog over the fence, and now that it is you want to leave it?”

“No silly,” Cait laughed, all previous irritation forgotten, “we’ll just have it walk on it own for a while. Reeve put a lesser AI system in it for my battles. We’re connected, so it’ll move just by my will.” Vincent was honestly surprised by this, though he knew he shouldn’t be. He’d never bothered to ask how it moved after all…

“All right, but only for a short while. When we get closer, you’ll need to go back. Deal?” Cait smiled and made himself at home on his lover’s shoulder.

“Deal.”

And then they were off, slowly making their way back to the group. Needless to say, neither was in much of a hurry…

And they both hoped there’d be more fences in their future.

--------------------

“I could always chuck ‘em at your head. That might make me feel better.” Those lines right there inspired this entire theme. I needed a reason for Cait to be ticked off, and the whole fence thing just fit...

Well, my lovely lurkers, Superstar is next. I might take a day off at some point, or I'll run out of themes. So it might not be up tomorrow. We'll see. If you're dying to read more, you could always check out everything I currently have finished at ff.net. Until then... Spread the yaoi love~

OMFG. Vincent x Cait is now teh SEX. D:

I love everyone one of these chapters, taitofan. <333 Keep posting more.

...Do I get some cookies? :<
    (image beautifully drawn by pixiv user id #45323)
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/34il6ah.png[/IMG]
    Lelouch is watching over all of us.

*gives a truckload of cookies* Until Oos comes back, you get all of my cookies. <3 I'm glad you like the themes, and that you think VinCait is teh sex. I agree, obviously. It is my OTP afterall~ And here's the next theme! *yay for just barely making the page limit*

One Step Away—Superstar

by Taitofan

Author’s Note: Ah, pure humor. Cait makes it rather easy to allow that. Anyways, please remember that these, unless otherwise noted, are completely unrelated. This, for example, is the first one that takes place after Aerith’s death. Other than that, you can stick it whenever you think it could potentially happen. ...Ah, something angsty will be next I think. So enjoy the fluff while you can, okay?

30_kisses theme: #7-Superstar

Flames do nothing but make me laugh, although I'll listen to any CC you have. Please read, review, and enjoy! Finished 04-09-06

----------

“I wanna be a star!”

That random proclamation probably would have surprised Vincent had it not been for the fact that Cait was a random person. Cat. Robot. …Whatever. The point was, Vincent had gotten used to Cait’s out-of-the-blue comments quite quickly. And there was no way it could get worse than the time he’d asked Vincent what kind of underwear he wore, in front of Tifa no less. But right now they were alone, so if it turned out that Cait wanted to be something ridiculous like a porn star, no one would ever have to know the conversation had happened in the first place.

“I’m sure that if Cid ever gets a rocket going he’d be more than happy to give you a one way ticket to space.” The robotic cat usually would have appreciated the normally quiet man’s humor, but he was being serious dammit!

“I’m serious Vince! I wanna be a star! A superstar!” The gunman didn’t even bother to tell Cait not to call him Vince anymore. For if he did, Cait would resort to silly pet names like “muffin” or “pookie.” And Vince was better than pookie any day.

“What kind of superstar?” His internal mantra had become ‘Don’t say porn, don’t say porn…’ Cait was oblivious to his lover’s worries and clasped his gloved paws together in joy.

“I’m going to be the greatest fortune teller there ever was! People will come from all over the planet to have me read their fortunes! Oh, but I’ll need a gimmick… Hmm… Maybe you could dress up in a skimpy bunny costume and be my personal assistant…”

Vincent almost chose not to comment at all, as Cait certainly didn’t need any encouraging. But he’d just pester the gunman until he said something, he knew it. Then he almost pointed out that he’d only had one correct prediction in his entire life, and it had been about Aerith’s death, not to mention it had been made in a different body than the one he had now. But that was too morbid for the light conversation. No, he had to find the right thing to say…

“You don’t need to be a star.” For not having any eyebrows, Cait sure did a good impression of raising one.

“Oh, and why not?” Vincent ran the back of his human hand down Cait’s face, smiling softly at him.

“Because then I’d have to share you with all your fans. And I don’t like to share what’s mine.” The possessive tone in Vincent’s voice made the cat shiver. He supposed that he didn’t have to be a world-famous star as long as he had Vincent…

…Who was planting tiny kisses wherever he could reach.

Yes, being a star could definitely wait. For now, he had other, very important, business to attend to.

--------------------

The gunman didn’t even bother to tell Cait not to call him Vince anymore. For if he did, Cait would resort to silly pet names like “muffin” or “pookie.” And Vince was better than pookie any day.

Like many of these, one scene inspired the whole theme. And it was that. ...Pookie. X3 Oh yeah, and possesive!Vincent is sexy as hell. Yep. Pornstar!Cait amuses me too. Together, they pwn all else.

Lesse... Jolt is next. Jolt is very different from the others, cause there's actually *gasp* a plot! A plot that doesn't fit in with canon, but intrigues me nonetheless. You'll see. Until then, review please!

*unrelated note* If anyone is willing to read my Harvest Moon fic to help me think of a title before I post it here/ff.net, please check out my LiveJournal. I'm taitofan over there too. I can't post it anywhere until I have a title, ya know?

I don't know much about Harvest Moon, sorry. ;;

I loved this chapter too. <333 I can call Vincent pookie. XD That would be great. 8D
    (image beautifully drawn by pixiv user id #45323)
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/34il6ah.png[/IMG]
    Lelouch is watching over all of us.

Great. Now I even like Vincent x Cait. -__- But Cait is cute while Vincent is just plain sexy... And I'm an Opposites Attract person. xD

LiveJournal
    Proudly claimed Barrett x Dorothy (Rune Factory 2)

Wow, two reviews! It's a Christmas miracle~ *gives cookies to both*

Kanami Yuta, tis okay. Oh, but I'm glad you like it. I wouldn't attempt calling Vincent that though... You might find Cerberus pressed against your forehead. X3

hikari_blaze, well damn. I'm just making you like new couples left and right, aren't I? I'll have a new fic up soon; I wonder if I can do it again...? ^.~

Well, here's the next part. I think I made y'all wait long enough...

One Step Away—Jolt!

by Taitofan

Author’s Note: …Okay, so this isn’t that angst I’d mentioned. It’s something that I can’t even begin to explain. Honestly, I have no idea where this came from… It’s strange, really strange. The concept certainly will only be used in this theme. Oh, the things I come up with at one in the morning… Well, this was my first time writing Lucrecia and Reeve, so hopefully they’re okay. And Cait’s first words to Vincent? Those came right out of the game. So Square-Enix made that line, not me. Some angst will be next I think, so stay tuned!

30_kisses theme: #3-Jolt!

Flames do nothing but make me laugh, although I'll listen to any CC you have. Please read, review, and enjoy! Finished 04-11-06

----------

Vincent sighed for what must have been the millionth time that day. He was so incredibly bored that it wasn’t in the least bit funny. Sure, being a Turk was usually exciting, but when there was nothing to shoot, the boredom came fast. And seeing as he currently didn’t have an assignment… He was forced to doodle.

Not that he realized what he was doing though. No, in his boredom he’d picked up a pen and started absently moving it across the back of a random piece of paper, all the while wondering what he could possibly do to alleviate this horrid feeling. Perhaps a riot would break out somewhere…

“Oh, that’s so cute!” Vincent jolted up, startled, and more than a bit upset that he’d let himself be taken off-guard. He was a Turk dammit; he shouldn’t be so jumpy… Even if the most beautiful woman he’d ever met was leaning over his shoulder. “Vincent, I didn’t know you were an artist!”

“Lucrecia…” He forced himself to look away from her smiling face and see what in the world she was gushing about. A quick glace down didn’t find anything of interest. A few random squiggles, a miniature gun, a man with glasses and a noose around his neck who looked remarkably like Hojo, and…

Oh. That.

Smack dab in the middle of the page was a drawing that he’d never live down if anyone other than Lucrecia were to see it. A cat, standing on two legs, grinned proudly. He, as Vincent could only assume he’d draw a male by its features, had a cape, boots, gloves, a crown… All in all, he looked much like Puss-in-Boots, a story he’d always enjoyed as a child. He supposed that his boredom had allowed his inner child to show its creativity…

“You can’t tell anyone about this.” Lucrecia looked surprised at the slight note of panic in his voice as he shoved the paper in his desk. She’d never seen him so flustered before…

“Are you all right? You seem nervous… It really was cute, if that’s what you’re worried about…” He shook his head, quickly trying to come up with a way to change the subject.

“Oh, no, it’s nothing. Being cooped up in here is just driving me a bit crazy, that’s all. Now, did you need something?” She knew that he wasn’t telling the whole truth, but she didn’t push it.

“Oh yes, I wanted to know if you wanted to get something to eat. It’s lunchtime after all.” He instantly brightened at the invitation, until he realized something…

“Will Hojo be accompanying us?” She shook her head, sighing sadly.

“No, I’m afraid not. He has a lot to do, something about a big surprise project…” Resisting the urge to jump for joy, he calmly stood up and offered her his arm.

“Well then, shall we go?” She giggled at his gentlemanly theatrics, talking the offered arm and nodding happily.

“We shall.” All thoughts of the cat drawing left Vincent’s mind as he headed to lunch with the girl of his dreams.

----------

Reeve Tuesti looked around the large room appreciatively. He’d just been promoted to Head of Urban Development, and that meant he got a bigger office. Unfortunately, it seemed like it hadn’t been used in a very long time…

It didn’t really bother him though. He’d heard from his friend Tseng that the office he was getting had once belonged to a Turk who had ended up on the wrong side of Hojo’s experiments and was now supposedly dead. Reeve couldn’t help but pity whoever he’d been. Hojo was a creepy man. Anyone who went through that lunatic’s torture was already a hero in his book.

Whatever had happened to him, no one had ever bothered to clean out his office. There was even still an old coffee cup on the desk, which Reeve was sure had been home to many different insects over the years. It looked like moving his things in would have to wait until the old stuff was gone…

He first decided to clean out the large desk. Maybe there would be something of interest in there… He bent down and cautiously pulled at one of the drawer handles, hoping that no small creatures were living in there. He didn’t have to worry though, as it seemed all those years of being shut had made the drawer stick. When a few more jolts proved to be inefficient, he sighed and steadied himself, putting all of his strength into one strong tug.

…Which didn’t work.

Slipping to the floor, his grip still on the handle, he wondered if he’d have to take the old desk apart… When his fingers hit a button. Blinking, he pressed it in and pulled, and sure enough, the drawer easily slipped open. Oh, was he ever glad that no one had witnessed that…

He busied himself with pawing through the contents, noting things that looked interesting enough to keep and what he’d have to throw away. And now that he knew the secret to opening the drawers, he went though them all, amazed by all of the things the mysterious ex-Turk had managed to fit in there.

He finally opened the very last compartment, his eyes immediately landing on what looked like a business report. It was addressed to a Vincent Valentine, who Reeve assumed must have been the man Tseng had been referring to. Well, the man had a name now at least. Not worrying about it, he almost tossed the paper into the trash bin, but curiosity took over and he found himself instead turning the paper over.

A few random squiggles, a miniature gun, a man with glasses and a noose around his neck who looked remarkably like Hojo, and… A cat. A rather cute looking one at that. It seemed odd that a Turk would have drawn something like that. Perhaps that was why it had been kept safely in the drawer… Regardless, something about the cat drew him in. It reminded him of the legendary king of cats he’d read about as a child, what with the crown and all.

…He’d always been interested in robotics. And now that he was an executive, he’d have the money to acquire the advanced AI technology he’d dreamed about…

And just like that, it was settled. Whatever Mr. Valentine’s intentions had been, no matter if he’d never get to see it, Reeve was going to use his drawing as the basis for his robot. And he had just the name too…

----------

“Aren’t you glad you woke up?”

That was the first thing the strange cat said to Vincent after Cloud woke him up for the first time in almost thirty years. It had been strange enough to be jolted awake after all that time in a coffin to see a spacey blond guy and a wannabe ninja girl, both with weapons larger than most dogs, but seeing him

It came back immediately to him. That day when Lucrecia saw his drawing. The cat sitting on—well, Vincent wasn’t sure what it was to be honest—that thing looked like it had jumped right off the paper. Had someone seen his picture or was it just a coincidence? The former option was certainly plausible. After all, his desk would have eventually had to be cleaned out and then anyone who was stuck with the task would have seen it. Whatever the case was, Vincent automatically knew that was no cat. Magic or robotic, he wasn’t sure, but certainly not just a miracle cat who somehow managed to walk and talk.

So later on that night after they’d left the mansion and he’d been introduced—

“Hey there, I’m Cait Sith, fortune teller extraordinaire! Pleased to meet you! Don’t mind her; Yuffie’s just a little paranoid. She’ll figure out you’re not a vampire soon enough.”

—Vincent just smiled ever so slightly. Cait Sith, the king of cats…

“Hello Cait Sith. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.”

The cat’s confused look had been worth having Lucrecia find his picture in the first place.

----------

“Vince, can I ask you a question?” Vincent wasn’t childish enough to say ‘You already did,’ so he merely nodded at the cat in his lap.

“Go ahead Cait. I can’t promise I’ll answer though.” Cait understood, knowing full well that he might not get an answer.

“Why do you love me?” Cait wasn’t being insecure, Vincent knew that. His programming made him curious, and this wasn’t the sort of thing he had in his database. His AI was constantly evolving, just as Reeve had intended. But how to answer his seemingly simple question?

Though Reeve had realized who Vincent was once they’d finally met, the gunman had made him promise never to tell Cait where his design had come from. He was Cait’s lover; he didn’t want Cait to know that without him, he’d never have existed. No, that was moving into territory Vincent didn’t like. The last thing he wanted was for Cait to start treating him differently if he found out that his lover was just as much his “father” as Reeve was. …No, that was unacceptable.

“Because,” he whispered into a feline ear, “you’re you.” Despite the words being extremely clichéd, Cait felt a jolt run through his circuitry. One of these days, Vincent’s sensual voice and touch would overload his circuits, he just knew it…

“If you thought that sappy answer would get you anywhere,” he turned around and brought their faces together, reaching up to pull down Vincent’s cloak from his face, “you were completely right.”

And as they kissed, each putting as much passion and love into it as they could and simply not caring about all of the odds stacked against them, Cait couldn’t help but wonder when Vincent would finally confess… It hadn’t been hard to find his original design, no matter how well Reeve thought he’d hidden it. Cait’s AI was simply too advanced to be fooled that easily. And he really wanted to thank Vincent for making him so cute.

For now, he supposed his kisses would have to do the talking for him.

---------------------

Well, I believe that's the longest one so far. As AU as parts get though, it's rather to be expected... Next is Cradle, which is a mini angst-fest. Plus, it introduces the secondary couple, which pops up a lot after that point.

However, I'll hopefully have a new fic up before I do that. *crosses fingers* I have two ready... The Harvest Moon one just needs a title still. No one will read that silly thing... And the other one needs to be approved at the community I claimed it at, though it's all done... I hope there are some Xiaolin Showdown fans here, or at least fans who appreciate hot guys making out~

Well, whatever I post next, I'll see you then!

Well, no reviews, but that's okay. This way I can get right to the story! Oh yeah, and this is where the language rating comes into play...

One Step Away—Cradle

by Taitofan

Rated PG-13 for yaoi and crossbreeding, plus language courtesy of Cid

Author’s Note: Jeez… This is a perfect example of why I shouldn’t write angst. But it kinda wrote itself anyways… And it stop being angst by the end, cause really, I hate sad stuff. Hmm, not too much else to say, other than I managed to stick in another crack couple near the end, just because I can. Yes, I am evil, thanks for noticing.

30_kisses theme: #22-Cradle

Flames do nothing but make me laugh, although I'll listen to any CC you have. Please read, review, and enjoy! Finished 04-15-06

----------

When Cait simply shut down one day, without any prior notice, everyone was confused. The robotic cat went into standby mode at night, but never had he just stopped. They hadn’t been fighting or anything, just walking through a field, when all of a sudden they here a loud pop… And Cait and his Mog slumped to the ground, silent and motionless.

And no one had any idea why.

But perhaps even odder than his sudden malfunction was one of their teammates reactions to it. The noise had grabbed their attention, allowing them to turn around as Cait was shutting down. And mere seconds after that, Vincent had rushed over to the cat, picking him up and cradling him in his arms. Frantic but quiet words spilled from his mouth, trying to rouse Cait from whatever had come over him. It was almost surreal; the gunman had never shown this much emotion to any of his teammates before, so why was he starting now?

Three days went by without any change. Cid and Cloud had gotten the duty of moving the Mog to the next town, as Vincent refused to put down the cat or leave the Mog. They’d made it to town before nightfall, heading straight for the inn. Rooms had been secured, and Vincent automatically took Cait into his, not saying a word.

No one had questioned why he stayed with Cait that entire time. They wouldn’t receive an answer anyway. Even as they entered the room to bring him food, which he barely touched, not a single one could find the courage to ask, “Why?” Perhaps they didn’t want to know. Perhaps they already knew. Regardless, the question never came.

The fourth day was almost over before anything happened to change the hopeless situation. It was Cid’s turn to try to make the distraught man eat, and quite frankly, he wasn’t looking forward to it. He was used to Vincent hiding in the shadows, not acting like he was watching his lover die a slow and painful death. But this was Cait Sith they were taking about; it wasn’t like that, right? Cid couldn’t help but wonder if Vincent would act this way if any of the others, himself included, had fallen comatose… He didn’t like the answer his brain supplied.

“Valentine,” he grumbled, barging in without knocking, “if ya’ don’t fuckin’ eat soon, Tifa’s gonna shove it down your throat and—” He would have said more, if the sight of Vincent clutching one of Cait’s gloved paws with his good hand hadn’t shocked the words right out of his mouth. Now, he knew, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that Vincent would never have done that for any of them. But still…

He opened his mouth to demand what was going on between the two when a spiky blond head poked in the room.

“Vincent?” Without waiting for a response, Cloud came into the room and held out his PHS. “It’s Reeve. He wants to talk with you. You can bring it back whenever you get the chance.” The gunman’s eyes widened and he hastily dropped Cait’s hand in order to accept the phone, a grateful look on his face. Cloud merely smiled and left without another word, not giving any indication that he’d seen anything out of the ordinary. Cid almost followed him, knowing that their “leader” must know what the hell was going on. Or at the very least, he knew more than Cid himself did. But his curiosity kept him in place as Vincent started to speak.

“Reeve? What’s going on? … I know that— … Are you sure? … Then he’ll be fine? … When will it happen again? … All right. Thank you. … Goodbye.” The conversation hadn’t been very helpful, as whatever Reeve had been saying constituted the large gaps between Vincent’s almost-desperate questions. Now that the executive had hung up, the gunman sighed heavily and tossed the phone to the end of the bed. Whatever he’d learned, it didn’t put his mind at ease for him to leave the cat’s side long enough to return it.

“Well,” Cid spoke up after the silence went on much too long for his liking. “What the hell was that about? The fleabag gonna turn back on or what?” Vincent gave him a half-hearted glare, most likely from the fleabag comment, but it was obvious he wanted to tell someone the news.

“Reeve says this is normal. Cait’s database occasionally needs to be updated with him turned off, so it did what it needed to do. Reeve has been busy dealing with Shinra and hasn’t been monitoring him lately. That’s why he didn’t tell us sooner. But Cait should automatically turn on soon” Cid was sure which was more surprising at this point—Vincent saying more just then than he usually did in a week or the familiar use of Cait, sans the Sith. He stayed silent for a few moments, trying to decide how to ask what he was dying to know without sound like a total bastard…

“So… Ya’ really care about him, huh?” He wasn’t really expecting an answer, but he wasn’t confused when Vincent hesitantly nodded. At this point, there wasn’t much involving the gunman that was going to faze him.

“After what happened to Lucrecia, I swore I’d never let anyone else I love be hurt. So when he shut down…” It had to be hard for him to admit, the pilot assumed.

“He must a’ known he’d be shuttin’ down. Why the hell didn’t he warn ya’?” The sad look that took over his crimson eyes told Cid that wasn’t the best thing to ask at the moment.

“...I don’t know.” Cid had never been good at comforting others, so he decided to keep his mouth shut for the time being. They might not have been the closest friends, but he still liked Vincent more than a lot of the others and didn’t want to cause him more grief than he already had.

The silence didn’t last for long though. The sound of the buzz of processors and machinery soon filled the room, followed by a light groan. Cait slowly sat up, sensors readjusting after being off for three days.

“Vince?” The gunman merely took his hand again, though the worry in his eyes had changed to relief. “You didn’t stay here the whole time, did you?”

“He sure as hell did!” Cid exclaimed, causing the cat, who hadn’t noticed him, to turn his way. “Man’s barely eaten in three days ‘cause he was too worried ‘bout your selfish ass. What, ya’ get your kicks scaring him? What kinda lover are ya’ anyways?” Cid was pleased to see the cat had the decency to look ashamed, a look that soon morphed into shock.

“Wait, what are you—”

“Save it,” the blond interrupted. “Kinda hard not to notice when Mr. Antisocial’s cradlin’ ya’ like a fuckin’ baby and refusin’ to leave your side. Look, what ya’ do together is your own damn business, and more power to ya’ for drawin’ Vincent outta his depression, but if ya’ hurt him…” The threat was left unsaid, but Cait got the point. He was honestly surprised that Cid didn’t have a problem with their relationship, but he wasn’t about to question it…

“I won’t.” Cid nodded, the simple answer being good enough for now. He snatched Cloud’s PHS from the bed and headed towards the door.

“Good. Now talk this whole mess over so we can get outta this hellhole tomorrow.” He paused, hand on the doorknob, and threw his head over his shoulder to look Vincent in the eyes. “And make sure ya’ eat something.” Vincent nodded, a ghost of a smile on his lips, and Cid swiftly exited the room, his original mission finally completed.

When he got into the hallway, he wasn’t at all surprised to see Cloud waiting for him. With a grunt, he tosses the younger man his phone, an annoyed glint in his blue eyes. Cloud stuck it in his pocket and nodded his thanks, patiently waiting for the questioning he knew was coming.

“Ya’ knew.” It wasn’t a question, and Cloud knew exactly what he was talking about. He didn’t deny it. “How long? And why the fuck didn’t ya’ tell me?” Cloud could have told him it was because he was a loudmouth, but he decided to be nice.

“It wasn’t my secret to tell. I wouldn’t have known if I hadn’t heard them a few weeks ago when I went to find them.” Cid remembered the day in question, when Vincent and Cait had both disappeared, and Cloud, as the leader, took it upon himself to find them. He hadn’t thought they’d disappeared together though.

“So they were…?” Cloud chuckled and the older man’s reaction.

“No, they were just talking, but I heard enough. And speaking of things I heard…” He took a few steps forward until there were only a few inches between them. “Mr. Highwind, I do believe you were acting rather protective of Vincent. Should I be jealous?” The pilot snorted, bringing their faces even closer together.

“Why don’t ya’ shut the hell up and put your mouth to better use?” Cloud smirked before doing just that. Cid moaned into the sudden forceful kiss, wondering if his lover realized they were still in the hallway where anyone, including the girls that had a crush on their blond leader, could see them. He decided that yes, Cloud most likely knew but didn’t care. But this wasn’t the way for anyone to find out either, so he pushed the younger man away and gave him a grin.

“So, your room or mine?” Cloud’s answer was consisted of grabbing Cid’s hand and dragging him to his room. They wouldn’t be seen again for quite some time.

------------------------------

Ack. Angst. >.< *craves fluff or smut* Well~ The secondary couple is here! Yep, CidxCloud is my second fave FFVII couple, and it's currently the only other couple in the series.

Next is Gardenia, which is far more light-hearted, and actually takes place before this one. These two are the only ones to directly relate so far. Remember, reviews make the chapters come faster!

*attempts to hypotize everyone into reading her Xiaolin Showdown fic, which is linked in her sig* [/plug]

Mou, I know people are reading, as I can see the view count rise... Ashamed to admit you're reading VinCait? =P Oh well.

One Step Away—Gardenia

by taitofan

Rated PG-13 for yaoi and crossbreeding, plus language courtesy of Cid

Author’s Note: I’m over a third done with this project, wow. Anyways, humor this time, because I wouldn’t torture you with my awful angst twice in a row. And wow, no plot whatsoever! This puppy takes place before Cradle, seeing as it’s referring to something that happened in that theme. Game-wise, this one is after Cait steals the keystone, but before Aerith dies, thus before they get the Highwind. I’m mean, but they have to be walking for this one. I don’t know what I’ll do next, but I swear Vincent and Cait will return to the focus next time… :sweatdrop:

30_kisses theme: #11-Gardenia

Flames do nothing but make me laugh, although I'll listen to any CC you have. Please read, review, and enjoy! Finished 04-19-06

----------

Where could they have gone off to? I have things to do, people to see, psychos to kill… Okay, so I won’t be killing Sephiroth or saving the world tonight, but I still have people to see…

Cloud was currently out looking for two of his missing teammates. They’d stopped in an abandoned cave to rest for the night, seeing as they were still a good two days away from a town, and within ten minutes both Vincent and Cait had gone missing. Now, Vincent was no problem. He’d been disappearing when they took breaks ever since he first joined up with them, and he was always back when they needed him. But Cait was another story. The last time he’d wandered off he stolen the Keystone and gave it to Shinra…

Vincent could do whatever he wanted, but Cait needed to be found as soon as humanly possible.

Since Cloud was the leader, whether he liked the position or not, he’d been expected to find the bouncy robot. He hadn’t wanted to, as his thoughts and the mild look of irritation on his face indicated, but out of his six other teammates, five insisted that he be the one to go. The only one of them who hadn’t wanted him to go was the one he wanted to be with right now…

He picked up his pace, determined to find Cait and get back before it was too late to spend anytime alone with that certain someone.

I wish we had an airship or something… With rooms… That I could sneak into…’ If anyone knew his thoughts, they’d probably be stocked to know their stoic leader actually had hormones. But they didn’t, and he was in too much of a hurry to care even if they could. ‘Where are you cat…?

“Argh, Vince! These stupid flowers are too strong! Can’t we go somewhere else?” Cloud stopped in his tracks as he heard the familiar voice of his target. He could have yelled out to him and gotten back just that sooner, but… Why was he with Vincent? And what was with the nickname? No, he had to stay and find out. Sneaking closer and hiding behind a tree, he took in the peculiar site before him.

Vincent was leaning against a tree, Cait sitting in the man’s lap, the mechanical Mog a few feet away. The gunman was idly stroking synthetic fur and looking rather amused at Cait’s words. He even appeared to be smiling, much to Cloud’s amazement. There were shrubs with large milky white flowers around them, which Cloud’s enhanced eyes could see even in the dark. They were obviously what Cait had been complaining about. He’d seen them before… Hadn’t they passed some earlier that day? Yes, Aerith had pointed them out. But what were they…?

“They’re Common Gardenia, also known as Cape Jasmine. Didn’t you listen to Aerith when she lectured on them this afternoon?” Cait’s silence was as good an answer as any. “Besides, they smell just fine. Perhaps Reeve mixed up which circuits distinguish between pleasant and offensive odors.” Cait pouted at the answer, while Cloud’s jaw almost dropped. First smiling, now cracking jokes? What was going on here?

“I didn’t say they smell bad, just that they’re too strong! My circuitry is just fine thank you very much!” Vincent chuckled and placed a soft kiss upon Cait’s nose.

“I know.” The small gesture calmed the cat down. He wasn’t mad at Vincent’s teasing, truth be told…

“I hate having to walk all the way out here just to be alone! Why can’t we just tell them, huh? You could shot ‘em if they said anything!” The gunman shook his head and pulled Cait closer to him.

“Not yet.” Cait sighed, looking like he’d expected that short, yet definite, answer.

“Yeah, yeah… Hey, this is getting depressing! Come on, we don’t know when they’ll send someone after us! Let’s make the most of our time, huh?” Vincent’s smile was back as he leaned his head down to meet Cait’s. Cloud turned around before he could witness their kiss, deciding that this wasn’t something he should intrude on. He’d just tell the others they were fine, Cait wasn’t stealing anything that wasn’t his to take after all, and leave it at that. He began walking back to the cave, but he didn’t get very far…

“Fuck, watch where the hell you’re goin’!” Cloud, being only a mere inch shorter than the body he bumped into in his haste to get away, looked the angry man square in the eyes and raised an eyebrow. “Oh shit, that you Cloud? Damn, I can’t see a thing out here…”

“What are you doing here Cid?” The older man chuckled and swiftly pinned Cloud against a tree. “And what happened to not being able to see anything?”

“I got sick of waiting for ya’ to get back… And I’m gettin’ used to the dark I guess.” Cloud had a feeling that Cid could see just fine in the moonlight and that was just an excuse because he wasn’t paying attention earlier, but he didn’t mention it. “Ya’ find that fleabag yet?”

“He’s… Fine. So is Vincent. Let’s just go back, all right?” Cid noticed the hesitation and normally would have called the younger blond on it, but right now he had other things on his mind…

“No way. I finally have ya’ all alone, and we’re not goin’ anywhere for a while. The others don’t know you found those two or that I found you, so they won’t know a damn thing. Or do ya’ got a problem with my plan?” Cloud sighed, though he didn’t sound particularly annoyed, and weakly struggled against the hands pinning his shoulders to the tree. Cid let go, only to wrap his arms around Cloud’s waist. In turn, he looped his own arms around the pilot’s neck and brought their faces mere centimeters apart.

“Just shut up and kiss me old man.” Cid was only too happy to comply.

----------

Later that night when they all returned, separately of course, they brought with them the sweet smell of Gardenia. Aerith giggled to herself before lying down to get some sleep. She had a good feeling she knew what was going on… Flowers don’t lie after all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I love the fact that my two favorite couples are so pretty, yet so crack induced. <3 Heh, Cid is really fun to write. ^.^ I have two more written after this, KHz and #10. CidCloud is mentioned in both, but this is the last time (for now) that it shares center stage. The next one is pervy as hell, so if this hasn't squeaked you out yet, you'll probably enjoy it.

Well, not much else to say... Just please review, even if it's short!

Figured I should update this again, reviewers or not~

One Step Away—KHz

by taitofan

Author’s Note: This puppy was inspired by larathia at LJ, so blame her for the utter madness. No, just kidding. Blame me, because I was the one to take the joke seriously. This was something I mentioned somewhat in an earlier theme, and I just needed to expand on it. Sorry everyone, but I’m a pervert. I don’t think the next theme will be quite so… out there, but we’ll see. So until next time, viva la VincentxCait!

30_kisses theme: #17-KHz (kilohertz)

Flames do nothing but make me laugh, although I'll listen to any CC you have. Please read, review, and enjoy! Finished 05-24-06

----------

Reeve didn’t constantly monitor Cait, as he trusted the robotic cat to let him know when he should be listening in. At the very least, Cait could always record important information and send the data to him later. But every now and then, when Shinra was being too much of a hassle, Reeve would put on his headset and listen in on Avalanche.

He’d managed to learn some interesting things, whether from secretly listening in or by Cait telling him after the fact. Thanks to Cait’s small size, he could leave his Mog and sneak around when the group was resting. So far, Reeve had learned that Nanaki had an irrational fear of butterflies, Barret secretly loved the color pink, Tifa had a foot fetish, Yuffie loved fluffy bunnies, Aerith carried a pocket flask, and Cid and Cloud snuck off every chance they got to do naughty things. Yes, he probably could have done without knowing some of that, but it would make great blackmail material should he or Cait ever need it.

In fact, the only member he didn’t have anything juicy on was Vincent. He knew Cait must see him, but the cat never reported back with stories about the gunman. Nor did he ever seem to be watching Vincent when Reeve decided to play spy. It was rather odd, but he figured it must just be bad timing on their parts. Or maybe Vincent was really just a very boring man, he wasn’t sure.

One day, after a particularly troublesome meeting that had ended with that despicable woman Scarlet trying to seduce him for the umpteenth time, he retreated to his office and got out his spy gear. As he got the earpiece in place, he wondered what he’d find today. Would they be fighting monsters, traveling, or resting? Resting was always the most amusing of the three, but traveling and battling seemed to be what the group did the majority of the time. He decided that he wouldn’t alert Cait of his presence right away, just in case they were in the middle of a battle.

With the flip of a switch, he was able to hear what Cait did.

Please…”

And to Reeve’s surprise, Vincent’s voice was the first thing he heard. And even more to his surprise, it sounded like he was begging for something. Something… inappropriate. As strange as it seemed, it must be true. The circuitry for Cait’s hearing system picked up more kilohertz per second than anything else on the market, so hearing wrong was out of the question. Yes, Avalanche was definitely resting at the moment, unless they’d started fighting tentacle monsters… Reeve had no idea where that thought came from, nor did he want to know.

“Cait, more…”

“Well if you’d stop squirming so much, I could give you more, now couldn’t I? Jeez Vince, you’re so needy!”

…Wait, what? Cait was actually with him, not spying? Well, then Reeve assumed that he must have been wrong about the situation. Sure, Vincent still sounded like he was begging, and Cait’s teasing words and tone certainly seemed to support the notion, but still… Vincent and Cait? That was insane!

“Stop teasing me cat. Either finish what you started or move aside.”

“Oh come now, you know I’m much better than your hand!”

No, whatever they were doing, it wasn’t that. It was Reeve’s own dirty mind playing tricks on him.

“I mean it Cai—Cait!”

Cait’s reply was muffled, almost as if… No, no no no. He refused to believe that—

His denial was cut short by Vincent’s moans and soft cries. Okay, so maybe they were. He supposed it wasn’t the oddest thing in the world… Not that he could think of anything stranger at the moment mind you, but he was sure that there must be something.

And as he listened longer, he finally figured out Vincent’s dirty little secret… He was a screamer. A very loud one.

“Oh Cait… Thank you.”

“Aw, don’t mention it Vince. This is really the only way we can be together without you crushing me after all. Though I could use my tail to—”

“No.”

“Oh, you’re no fun…”

Reeve quickly pressed the button again to stop the audio feed, deciding that he didn’t need to hear anymore. Now that his initial shock was wearing off, the reality of the situation was setting in. Vincent and Cait were together. Vincent Valentine and Cait Sith. Together. And he had just heard them…

He removed the earpiece and dropped it on the desk as if it was a poisonous monster. The next time he tuned in to those two, he was going to do the intelligent thing and shut it right back off. A few high-tech kilohertz weren’t worth the crazy dreams he was sure to start having…

---------------------------------------------------------------------

... X3 Me, need help? Damn straight I do! But that's beside the point, now isn't it?

Well, Reeve should think twice before he plays audio-voyeur. Other than that, I don't have too much to say.

Next is #10 (which is the thirteenth one I wrote ironicly), which is my favorite one I've done. After that is Wada Calcium CD3. Dunno about after that, cause I still need to write it. But the next one I write will mark the halfway point!

...Now, please review, or I'll have no one to give all these cookies to!

I'm reviewing (if not just for the cookies XP)!

Anyway, I never really thought about any shippings in FFVII, though I owned the game (lost the first disk and was never any farther than that), except Tifa/Barret or Cloud; and Arieth/Cloud. Other than that.

9.7/10

Thought I saw a few spelling and grammer mistakes, so I took those into account. Can't wait to read the next one!
    Claims: Songs: [I]Bless the Broken Road
    _________

Friend Code for White: 1463 9952 4010

Wow, what a nice high number. ^.^ Thank you kindly! *gives cookies* I look forward to knowing what you think about the rest. Suppose I should put the next one up now...

One Step Away—#10

by taitofan

Author’s Note: So… This popped out of nowhere and ended up being one of those fics that write itself. It’s not the style I normally write in, but hopefully it won’t be bad. And I don’t often jump around as much as I do here, but I think it works. As for Cait… I take a different path with his personality, but not too much. I’m sure that you’ll notice all that stuff, but it’s something I had to try. Remember, feedback when I try new things is very much appreciated, even if it’s a simple, “I like it.” Well, see you in the next chapter and enjoy the crack!

30_kisses theme: #10-#10

Flames do nothing but make me laugh, although I'll listen to any CC you have. Please read, review, and enjoy! Finished 07-18-06

----------

The first kiss hadn’t even been a kiss. Not really. It had been during a battle, when some horridly foul smelling creature—though Cait could only assume this from the others’ reactions since he’d had the foresight to shut off his scent receptors—had attacked them. It had sprayed out a gas that quite effectively confused half of the group. Cait hadn’t been one of them, but Vincent had. Said gunman had tripped over his own feet, something that would not have happened in his right state of mind, and proceeded to knock the cat over.

It had only been a brief brush of their lips, but Cait still considered it their first kiss regardless. And after the battle was over and his other able-bodied teammates were fussing over the loopy ones, Cait had stared down at him thoughtfully, hopped off his Mog, and proceeded to give Vincent their second kiss. It was chaste and only one of them was fully conscious, but it was minor details like that that tended to ruin Cait’s fun.

The third kiss came the very next day. It seemed that Vincent hadn’t been out of it quite as much as Cait had hoped. Not that he was at all perturbed when the man had rudely jerked him out of stand-by mode, drug him far enough away so no one could hear, and demanded to know what the cat had been thinking. Cait had patiently responded that he did what Reeve had programmed him to do—what felt right. Then he stood up on the Mog and did it again, though Vincent was completely awake and not at all confused this time. Well, not confused by the gas at least. Being kissed by a robotic cat was, of course, perplexing. When Cait pulled back seconds later, he turned and went back to camp without a word. Cait only smiled and followed.

Kisses four and five happened a week later, at an inn. Cloud was more of a tightwad than he’d have some people think, so this didn’t happen often. Even then, they all had to share rooms. In the beginning of their travels, Cloud tended to get his own room since nine was an odd number and he was the leader. When he’d decided to stay with Cid this time, only a few of them, Cait included, hadn’t been overly surprised. If those two wanted to let Yuffie have her own room so they could screw each other into oblivion, Cait was perfectly fine with it. After all, he got to bunk with Vincent that way, as everyone else either was annoyed by him or didn’t fully trust him, even if the nicer members wouldn’t come out and say it. Cait didn’t care what they thought though. If Vincent trusted him, it was enough.

Number four happened when Vincent had decided they needed to talk again. Cait had smirked in that self-assured way of his, asking the gunman if kissing him had been so distracting that he needed to bring it up again. Then he’d gone on to say that he couldn’t blame him, he was the sexiest robotic cat the world had ever seen—

And Vincent cut off his arrogant roommate by taking the initiative this time. It felt nice to have Vincent actually responding, Cait quickly concluded. He wanted the sensations that coursed through his circuitry to continue and never stop. So when Vincent had jerked away, that vaguely mortified look on his handsome face, Cait had only smiled and kissed him again. To his delight, Vincent kissed him back seconds later.

As the impatient cat perceived it, kiss six didn’t come for a very long time. They’d run into the Turks the next day, and Vincent seemed to be ignoring him anyways. Cait was only vaguely sure he knew why. He wasn’t human; he understood and accepted that fact. He didn’t have that sense of right and wrong that Vincent did; there was no conscious in his mind—his mind was filled with wires and stuffing. His AI gave him the information he needed to function in the world without his creator, but he didn’t always listen to it. When logic dictated that a robotic cat who was, for all practical purposes, male could never have any sort of relationship with a human male who had four demons living in his mind, he firmly said, “Screw logic,” and instead tried to figure out how to get Vincent to adopt his liberal mindset.

In hindsight, pouncing on Vincent in the dead of night after a month of no contact probably hadn’t been the best idea he’d ever had, considering such a dangerous man could have torn him to shreds with a swipe of his gauntlet. But his direct approach seemed to work, because they made out the best flesh and plush could before Nanaki twitched in his sleep and alerted Vincent to the danger of the situation. Cait hadn’t particularly cared if anyone caught them, but he respected Vincent’s wishes to go back to his Mog and get some rest. He wasn’t happy though.

Luckily, number seven had come in the morning, when they’d slipped off while Tifa was yelling at Yuffie. Something about being a “Materia stealing little brat.” Whatever; it gave Cait the chance to lock lips with the man that his AI had decided was The One. He’d thought Vincent would want to talk again, and he’d even had a nice quip ready about him always wanting to share their feelings like some teenage girl, but he was pleasantly surprised when hot lips covered his own. And he was even more pleased when he heard a faint, yet sensual, moan in the back of the gunman’s throat. Cait promised himself then and there that he’d get Vincent to make that noise again in the near future.

It had been a month, a week, and three days since their first “kiss.” It was also later that night when number eight came. Number eight was actually comprised of multiple kisses, but since they were so close together and their lips barely parted anyways, Cait efficiently grouped them collectively. To normal people, the fact that it had been mere hours since the last kiss and only little over a month since the whole thing started probably would have constituted as taking things too fast. But Vincent was far from normal and Cait wasn’t even human, so they kissed until the human was out of breath and the robot felt like his circuits might catch on fire. Then they calmly walked back to camp, Vincent looking stoic, and Cait appearing smug. And though Nanaki was still awake and saw their return, everything looked normal, so he assumed nothing exciting had happened and went back to sleep.

Obviously, number nine had happened the next day, though it hadn’t been until that night, seeing as Cloud had been eager to move out once everyone woke up. Cait had been impatient to leave and didn’t even bother with an excuse; he just walked into the woods. Vincent, not even fully knowing what he felt about their situation, said something about making sure the imbecile didn’t get hurt and followed. But for all his initial annoyance when he caught up to the robot, he certainly didn’t complain when Cait showed him that he was talented not only with his synthetic tongue, but with his tail as well. Cait was just proud that he’d made the man make that lovely noise again.

Kiss number ten didn’t come the next morning, the next night, or even the next week. When Yuffie had caught them during kiss number nine and sexual experience number one, Vincent had started avoiding him. Cait wasn’t even sure why. The ninja might be a thieving brat, but she hadn’t been angry or upset, or even all that shocked. On the contrary, she’d thought it was rather sweet, in a twisted sort of way, and had promised to keep their secret. Vincent had just stalked off, disappeared until the morning, and ignored Cait for the past week and four days. The best the cat could come up with was that being caught had made the situation even more real for Vincent than even Cait getting him off with his tail had. Not that it should have mattered, in Cait’s opinion. He liked it when things felt real, and Vincent made him feel alive in a way nothing and no one else ever could. And, quite frankly, he’d be damned if he was going to let that be taken away because Vincent was confused.

Cait didn’t really understand confusion, just as he didn’t fully comprehend many human emotions. His AI was excellent, but not perfect. Confusion was one of those emotions that didn’t come as easily as anger, happiness, greed, or lust. He could feel those. But confusion just felt like wires being crossed, and that didn’t happen very often. So after eleven days of waiting, he firmly decided to do things the Cait Sith way; namely, he’d work his charm and get his own way.

It turned out to be harder than he’d thought. Vincent would just ignore his, in Cait’s opinion, very polite requests to take a little walk. Yuffie, the only other one who knew what was going on, only hoped the gunman would give in before his lover—were they calling themselves lovers yet?—did something rash. Of course, she didn’t have to worry. Cait never did things without thinking them through. Oh no. He thought them through very carefully, just as he did at that moment. That didn’t mean he wouldn’t do what he wanted in the end, but at least he took the time to consider his options. And in this case, he decided that if Vincent had been weary of the others’ reactions… Well then, he was just going to have to throw him right into the face of his fear, wasn’t he?

Thus, kiss number ten took place with the rest of Avalanche as witnesses.

----------

“Cait, wake up.” Said robotic cat came out of stand-by, immediately looking as indignant as he could. He looked up at Vincent from where he lay on his lover’s stomach; he probably would have glared if Reeve had given him eyes capable of opening.

“I wasn’t asleep Vince.” They both knew it was technically true, so Vincent didn’t bother to say anymore on the subject. Instead, he ran the back of his human hand over Cait’s sensitive sensor-covered cheek, earning him a happy sigh to replace the previous annoyed look he’d been getting. In the back of his mind, Chaos sneered something about them being the prefect couple—total freaks. Vincent ignored him.

“Cloud is waking the others. We must ready ourselves to leave.” Cait nodded, not wanting to leave his lover for his less comfortable Mog, but knowing he had to in order to fight. Maybe once they’d defeated Sephiroth… Until then, he’d have to make due with only having Vincent during the night, even if some of their teammates were still a bit squeamish about the idea. Oh well.

Before he left, he pressed a soft kiss to the gunman’s lips, letting plush meld with skin for the five-hundredth and seventy-third time since that first time during battle. Needless to say, after that day in front of the others, Vincent had stopped caring what they thought. Following that, the kisses came much more quickly.

But even now, number ten was still Cait's favorite.

------------------------------------------------------------

And there you go, my favorite chapter so far. I wrote this in, like, two days because I was about to lose my claim on it. Sometimes I like a bit of seriousness, you know?

Wada Calcium CD3 is next, then News; Letter. After those two, your guess is as good as mine. Still gotta right it. ^^;

Reviews, as always, are greatly appreciated.

You are so talented at writing [nearly] non-sexual yaoi. I do have to agree with Cait. From what I read, kiss number 10 would have been my favorite, too. I do hope to read more of your stories.

9.9/10
    Claims: Songs: [I]Bless the Broken Road
    _________

Friend Code for White: 1463 9952 4010