Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprite comparison for old pokemon

Default Sprite comparison for old pokemon

Just like I did with the trainer, I did a sprite comparison for some old gen pokemon shown. You don't know the jump in colors from R/S/E to D/P until you see them side by side...

Blown up character sprites

A full respriting of a city!

Last edited by Zoramon089; 21st September 2006 at 2:48 AM.

Holy macarony plant on a stick! Once these games are out and a runnin'I gonna enjoy spriting in that style,

The style appears to allow sizes greater than 64x64 (Scizzor looks 74x64 that's nice) and extra colours, which makes it easier to make better looking sprites.

I do wonder how many sprite artists they put onthe pokémon games, considering every pokémon needs a pokédex sprite, icon, back sprite; gender and female sprites (Although one is a recolour and the other a minor modification, I do believe they can be done within minutes.)

New Scizor is awesome
    New Butterfree is cooler than the old ones
    but I preffer R/S Wooper than the new one

I think new Sciscor's head is too long. It just looks weird to me. Other then that they're awesome! I"m gonna love this game!
    It is terrifying, and paralyzing, as the strands of sound disintegrate ... in ceasing, we lose it all. But in letting go, we have gained everything. – Leonard Bernstein

Current Writing/RPG Projects:
    A Means To An End, Sign-Ups <- A supernatural federal agency, a race against time, and a dash of mystery... what more could you want?
    Bloodyside Up <-Marching band, vampires, and an overall confused oboist. (Fic thing in progress)
    Infected<-- A futurized Hoenn and a gaggle of were-Pokemon.

Current Repertoire...
    Oboe: Telemann Concerto in F Minor/Hayden Concerto in C Major

I love the Scizor sprite, it looks so cool. The Wooper sprite doesnt look different at all(except the mouth), but we cant expect every D/P sprite to be as awesome as the Scizor one.

Pokemon Y Friend Code 4356-0012-3407
    Poison Safari: Toxicroak, Ariados, Cascoon

Currently looking for a US shiny Gengar code!
    I have a EU shiny Gengar code to trade in return!

Mystic Dark Kirby Guest

Meh, not exactly that much of a leap at all. The DS can do better than that.

In terms of 2d? How much more better is possible? Look at 2d art in other 2d DS games,sprites really aren't that much better

Mystic Dark Kirby Guest

You're right - but that doesn't mean the sprites couldn't be better. Not a single game has pushed the hardware to it's limits yet.

But whatever, I'm satisfied with what we've seen so far.

They look pretty simelar, I'm glad that there are male and female sprites
    My Sprite thread
    Please visit!

The male and female thing makes me happy. It's just like lions and moose. Moose are cool.
    It is terrifying, and paralyzing, as the strands of sound disintegrate ... in ceasing, we lose it all. But in letting go, we have gained everything. – Leonard Bernstein

Current Writing/RPG Projects:
    A Means To An End, Sign-Ups <- A supernatural federal agency, a race against time, and a dash of mystery... what more could you want?
    Bloodyside Up <-Marching band, vampires, and an overall confused oboist. (Fic thing in progress)
    Infected<-- A futurized Hoenn and a gaggle of were-Pokemon.

Current Repertoire...
    Oboe: Telemann Concerto in F Minor/Hayden Concerto in C Major

Quote Originally Posted by poke_fan_12
    They look pretty simelar, I'm glad that there are male and female sprites
    Me too, as it gives them more individual aspects (if that's the word), imo.

I see pokemon have come along way since their Green, Red and Blue ancestors, lol.
    What goes around comes around...

Hey, I got an idea - wait until clearer, non-scan images are revealed then improve your comparison - and add male and female for dp section.

~DF~
    Pokemon Diamon Friend Code:
    3608 7692 3443
    Currently Playing:
    Pokemon Diamond

Scizor's sprite rox my sox!
    Butterfree's is alright.
    Wooper's kinda creepin' me out, though.
    Meet my first shiny!
    You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!

The Wooper sprite for D/P seems like it doesn't have as good shading, though it may be because it's zoomed in, unlike the Scizor and Butterfree sprites.
    You're not allowed to use pure caps messages in your signature unless you have some lower case letters too. Since this is your second Signature Violation, your entire signature has been deleted. Please read the Signature Rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood
    Holy macarony plant on a stick! Once these games are out and a runnin'I gonna enjoy spriting in that style,

The style appears to allow sizes greater than 64x64 (Scizzor looks 74x64 that's nice) and extra colours, which makes it easier to make better looking sprites.

I do wonder how many sprite artists they put onthe pokémon games, considering every pokémon needs a pokédex sprite, icon, back sprite; gender and female sprites (Although one is a recolour and the other a minor modification, I do believe they can be done within minutes.)
    They arent bigger I dont think, its just the scan size.

I agree, the sprite for wooper isnt done very well, it looks as if the outline is all black and there are only two shades and no lighter blue shade to round out his head. Do you think they might be changing style? it looks like an easier (although kinda clean and cute) style.

Feel free to add to your sig if you are importing from Japan!

I think the sprites are better than r/s. I can't place whats different, but they just look so much better.

The wooper one is a bad example as it didnt physically come from a battle screenshot and was already severely enhanced when placed into the magazine

the scizor and buterfree sprites look awsome
    My claims: Ralf from Ed, Edd n' Eddy, Star Wars Battlefront II for the PC, Cheeseburger in Paradise (Jimmy Buffet), Star Wars theme from SW Battlefront II, Meta-master (myself ), and Roy from Super Smash Bros. Fear Me!

Thanks SKECHi for this awsome banner.

Scizor is solid but the Butterfree one looks outstanding to me. Certainly the best I have seen.
    -Formerly known as Banette-

Thanks to xxpoke_loverxx for the banner.

I think they're a lot better, even from R/S/E/Fr/Lg. The D/P sprites seem to have better blended colors, and more unique shapes. They also don't seem so 2-D to me.

i honestly think these are just temporary sprites because some really look horrble (example: Manafis sprite is just horrible, munchlaxs eyes are wierd and others) there probably just for a test

I like the R/S/E wooper a little better, maybe the DP pic is just a little poorer quality?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPerson87andahalf
    i honestly think these are just temporary sprites because some really look horrble (example: Manafis sprite is just horrible, munchlaxs eyes are wierd and others) there probably just for a test
    Or maybe the quality on the screenshots is low, causing it to look like that?
    You're not allowed to use pure caps messages in your signature unless you have some lower case letters too. Since this is your second Signature Violation, your entire signature has been deleted. Please read the Signature Rules.

These are scans, so the level of quality that we're seeing isn't the best yet.

Scizor just looks hard. Kudos to the artists.
    I'm also glad to see that Butterfree looks cool now.
    Wooper's sprite is terrible, but who uses it anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
    These are scans, so the level of quality that we're seeing isn't the best yet.

Scizor just looks hard. Kudos to the artists.
    I'm also glad to see that Butterfree looks cool now.
    Wooper's sprite is terrible, but who uses it anyway?

Don't you say not even one bad thing about Woopers.

I like woopers! But Wooper either looks too fat, too skinny or too...can't describe what the D/P sprite would be...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast