Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Channelling the Battle Zone! (458)

Isn't Solidad simply a sex changed Nando lacking the apparel?

Quote Originally Posted by Genome View Post
    Isn't Solidad simply a sex changed Nando lacking the apparel?
    I actually thought Solidad seemed more like a mentor figure like Brock. She basically talked to May about her past with Drew, had strong Pokemon, and insisted that May become her rival.

Plus, Solidad is a strong adult female trainer, something we don't see too much of in this show. All of Ash's rivals including the league ones were male, and Zoey is Dawn's age, so Solidad was really the first mature female rival.

Plus she is cute. Not to mention Solidad and Nando are nothing alike.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Well then sorry to butt in. I just thought of her as any other filler mentor (female!)

Geesh...I wasn't even talking harshly. She appeared in the Grand Festival, and has made cameos along with Drew and Harley. She is now one of May's rivals. Also, Solidad appeared before Nando.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    Geesh...I wasn't even talking harshly. She appeared in the Grand Festival, and has made cameos along with Drew and Harley. She is now one of May's rivals. Also, Solidad appeared before Nando.
    Easy now. I think Solidad is incomplete, meaning that she's hardly her own woman. She could be like Lorelei or Cynthia, but no one's getting fanservice. Maybe like Grace? I don't wanna hear that kind of laugh again. Nando's the closest one, they're both main characters and rivals, but she could never pull of the lid!

So what does she give us? Some erratic hair color (this coming from a ginger) and a Slowbro? I don't buy it.
    Even Harrison kept me amused with his team.

It is just because she was introduced so late. She has been cemented as one of May's rivals. She won the Grand Festival, she has beaten both May and Drew and possibly Harley. They all like her and strive to beat her. She knows how to adapt her pokémon to different appeal and battle situations. Way more then other one time coordinators or Nando.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

This match went right down to the wire!Drew's Absol is strong!Same with May's Combusken!(now Blaziken of course)

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Absol versus Combusken was epic. A great battle, I loved every minute of it! Solidad rocked too!
    nothing lasts forever, but this is getting good now.
    ~I've claimed Turtwig~

Good episode and a nice catch for Ash. It was funny how everyone just stared and watched it happen. Sure, Aipom gets a hideous looking evolution, but oh well.

What you love of mine is always yours.
    Animated by me.
    Wife ~ Daughter ~ Pair ~ Twin ~ Claim

drew had some strong poke's with her this episode, it was a nice episode because of it, 9/10.

it was a nice episode, Drew had some good Pokemon
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

I was happy May got to finally beat Drew in a Grand Festival, and Combusken's Overheat was pretty epic as well. I enjoyed it.

I like Solidad, but I only wish we saw more of her, and the others after "Stradegy With a Smile!" I'd love that a lot.

May's crying still remains one of my favorite "May's Biggest Tears moments".

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

It's been three years since this episode aired? Oh, how time flies.

I re-watched the Grand Festival episodes yesterday on a whim, and man oh man I'd completely forgotten how great contests can be. The appeals from last episode were actually interesting to watch, and the battles in this episode and in the previous one were incredibly gripping even though I knew who won all of them already. Harley was just wonderful, and seeing him again renewed my sadness that we'll likely never see him again(or get a cameo, at best); I'd completely forgotten that Drew was actually pretty awesome, and seeing how intense he is really makes it a shame that the contest rivals we have now aren't anywhere near as serious as he was. There's also that Saori chick who I really didn't pay much attention to since she was obviously just there to make May lose. Yawn.

A great set of eps overall that really do the contest arc justice. Maybe I should start re-watching AG-era contests whenever Dawn decides to take part in another snorefest(complete with ice appeals and boring rival). I don't think I commented on many contest episodes the first time they came around anyway...
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

One of my favorite episodes. I can watch this episode over and over and still I'm excited with it, the battle is very dramatic and with how intense it was they (May & Drew) made it seem like a life or death thing, or to me at least.

Although....I do have some criticisms. My first would be that of Flygon being K.O'ed so quick, I understand that it has a 4x ice weakness-not to mention it was fired at point-blank range- but something strong like Flygon should be able to take a little more. Then again it wasn't nearly as bad as the May/Harley battle where one Shadow ball killed Cacturne.

Also I think towards the end that the points were being lost in strange amounts to help further the time of the battle. When Absol gets hit by Overheat Drew's points don't even really go down, I also think May's points in the one scene went back up when she was on the brink of losing.

But didn't Gary and Ash's rivalry end like this? Gary always beat Ash until that tournament (sorry, not familiar with older episodes) where Ash won and then Gary was pretty much off the show for awhile. To me it's seems like once the main character/protagonist beats their rival it's pretty much a 'Well, you lost. Goodbye.' and they're written out of the show because after this we only saw Drew (and Harley) only once.:/

Maybe I'm just looking to much into it but oh well, I have nothing better to do.xD

Wow,
    10/10

-May beating drew
    -Ash catching aipom
    -Magikarp man in the background (did you see him)
    -The huge crowd when ash caught a pokemon

We all knew she would loose to soladad

I don't mean to sound redundent, but that battle with May vs. Drew was amazing. Plenty of action, amazing move combinations, the desperate struggle to win, and Overheat (perhaps just a bit cheap, but whatever) all made a great battle. Yeah Solidad was seen and was there to make May lose, but that's still a good strategy she still used.
    Diamond F.C.: 4467-8858-1499 name: Walter

Pokedex progress
    Diamond: N'tl: 490 seen, 490 obtained. 4 years, I completed the Pokedex!

it was a very nice battle vs drew but no blasting off again ???? XD

May vs Drew truly shows how awesome contests were in the Advanced Generation. This was the best contest battle the show has had, with many others in the Advance Generation following afterward, tons better than what D/P has given us. Pitting May against two powerhouses in Flygon and Absol was just stunning. 10/10

I never thought I'd see Drew lose to May, that was unexpected.

I liked the whole battle overall, and the fact that Ash caught Aipom after so many episodes was great.

Wow, 8/10

The battle was great, May was so powerfull.

And i loved to see Ash finaly capture Aipom
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

Good battle between Drew and May, I like Flygon and Absol so it was great to see them in battle.

Commenting on the last episode too, I felt the battle with Harley was kinda quick but that Wigglytuff was tough and even looked a bit scary lol.
    Was Absol in a previous contest? I don't remember if it was

Nice for Ash to catch Aipom, even if it's not my most favorite Pokemon. What's with the people wearing the same clothes in the crowd, I saw three guys wearing a green jacket, two with a green shirt underneath.

The battle between May and Soildad was good, wished we had seen the whole battle though.
    I reallt felt sorry for May in the end when she started crying, the VA who does her sounded pretty emotional in that part, May really sounded like a 10 year old girl crying (Which she is).

I am not the one to like contests but for some reason the Grand Festival is quite interesting to watch,.
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

10/10 for sure. It was obvious that May would lose to Solidad, but I never thought that she would beat Drew. The May vs Drew battle WAS amazing! The combinations were so full of energy and power. It is the first episode I have enjoyed in a long time. May crying.. I didn't really mind it, and her voice actor did a great job.
    Water Pokemon RULE! WORLD DOMINATION!

I have claimed
    Sapphire, and Takashi "Mori" Morinozuka! 8D

This entire Grand Festival still remains to be THE best Grand Festival out of all of the 3 in the series !

I just had to watch this to compare it to Dawn's Grand Festival. May vs Drew was great, but it just wasn't as awesome as the Sinnoh league Grand Festival.

It sucks that a rival May just met was the winner of the Grand Festival. May got really emotional towards the end.
    I've officially claimed Swampert!

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast