Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Channelling the Battle Zone! (458)

WOW!

May actually used one of Tucker's strategies! Cool.
    Remmeber the tornado he created by a combination of fire and water to capture Swellow and Corphish?
    May used the same strategy to create a powerful attack, it seems.

Aipom looks better in this episodes. That's good.

Squirtle beat Flygon by first using Bubblebeam to then get close enough to use Ice Beam. Flygon would've been considered uber if it managed to handle the Ice Beam so close, so I find it fair it fainted.
    Absol did knock Squirtle out almost immediately since Flygon wasn't even called back yet before Squirtle fainted.

It seems Ash is the one to identify Combusken's Overheat. I think it was also him who noticed May used Tucker's strategy.

There are used many still shots that's like pieces of art.

Combusken somehow set Absol on fire with its Overheat but it broke free.
    Combusked tried to use Overheat three times but that was simply too much.
    It seemed like May was about to lose but Combusked did that claws-running-through-the-ground-and-hit thing. apparently that makes it very powerful or something :/
    It hits Absol hard but loses a lot of energy doing so. The time is up and May barely has just a few more points than Drew, making her the winner. Good thing it was so close.

Harley is enraged that May won. Go figure.

Aipom got hyper over it all and celebrated by stealing Ash's hat and run off.
    Ash chased it outside where it threw the hat back to him and made a motion to battle.
    Ash accepted, used Pikachu, they battled and Aipom seems to be quite powerful. Ash is excited about this and is even more eager to catch it, it seems. I think Pikachu used Thunder, weakening Aipom and Ash caught the thing.
    LOL, many people watched the battle. XD
    And,... they cheered when he caught it? ROFL! They're glad the thing is caught XDDD

Scott appears.

Saori has a Butterfree, as she is seen battling with that and Lapras against Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan.
    May is out back and Drew appears and shakes hands with her. Awwww.
    Saori wins her battle and May is to battle her up next.
    Pidgeot used Screech and Slowbro used yawn on Combusken.
    Scott watches the battle with them boys.
    Slowbro uses Hyper Beam on Munchlax and Combusked, knocking them out.

May is sad.

May walks out back and meets up with them boys. She cries.
    I guess Saori has a thing to make her opponents cry.
    Ash and Brock place their hands on May's shoulder to comfort her. SHIPPINGNESS OMG!
    *shot*

Saori wins, celebration, May meets up with Drew, holding a rose in her hand (?) they talk, Drew walks away and the gang walks up to May and talk.
    May then looks ... glad? at the rose.

The end.

Bah, I'm in a rush so I didn't get it all.

My El Jay
    Used-to-be-President of the Eeveelution Evolution club

Currently on hiatus from this place. [Insert witty remark here.]

Thanks for all the info there Chatsy

What ever happened to Team Rocket?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy Boy
    What ever happened to Team Rocket?
    I actually only saw a total of two screenshots of them filming May and Drew's battle. O.o;;

My El Jay

seen the pics.

The battle between May and Drew was very cool and intensive. Though I didnt like the quantity of the "glowing" attacks at the beginning. Too much of it, too exxagerated IMO. May remembering strategies from Frontier Brains is always good.

Saoris "new" Pokemon(Butterfree and Pidgeot) didnt fit her well. I expected more water or Ice Pokemon. But I guess this should show, that she is from Kanto or something like that.

I kind of feel sorry for may...really. She was one step from her dream away and then she fails. I think it's funny though how she didnt talked to Saori at the end. I mean first they were friends and now they even didnt tell eachother goodbye. Someones bit**ing around, huh, May?

IMO, it was a great episode with a cool battle. Cool battle episodes are my favorite XD.

Pokemon Y Friend Code 4356-0012-3407
    Poison Safari: Toxicroak, Ariados, Cascoon

Currently looking for a US shiny Gengar code!
    I have a EU shiny Gengar code to trade in return!

I was dissappointed that May didn't even put up a good fight against Saori, May barley took off 10% of Saoris bar

I was dissappointed that May didn't even put up a good fight against Saori, May barley took off 10% of Saoris bar
    Putting up a good fight has nothing to do with that. Haruka could've put her whole heart and soul into that battle, but without experience and skill there was no way she was going to beat Saori. I also think that's the reason she cried. I mean, I know if I went into a battle and got knocked out so fast when I was giving it my all...I think I'd be crying too. ._.;
    || The stars rule men, but God rules the stars. ||

OWNER OF THE CHRISTIAN ALLIANCE
    Cartoon Bish; Soundwave

Hmmm....Pidgeot, Lapras, and Butterfree?

Hmm, what character used to own those before he let them roam free? XD

Oh wait, there was also a short pan shot of Team Rocket at the end of the episode.
    So there's a total of three screenshots I've seen of them in this episode. Isn't that just nice?

This screenshot made my day. Ash and Max are hugging. Awwwww, certain shippers must have a field day.
    Ash and Brock comforting May, May looking dreamily in to a rose and Ash and Max hugging. This episode has it all! XD

And yes, I am purposedly acting like a rapid shipper even though I'm not one myself. Weeee~

My El Jay

I don't why Team Rocket (or at least Jessie) didn't bother to either steal the Ribbon Cup or simply cause trouble. After that failed attempt to steal May's ribbons, you think that Jessie would come up with a new scheme to become "a top coordinator" by any means possible.

I kind of like that they didn't try anything. And I love that Pikachu and Aipom screenshot up above!
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

I don't why Team Rocket (or at least Jessie) didn't bother to either steal the Ribbon Cup or simply cause trouble. After that failed attempt to steal May's ribbons, you think that Jessie would come up with a new scheme to become "a top coordinator" by any means possible.
    ^ You MUST stop inserting OT jabs at Jessie every time you post.

C&P from BMGF, whoooo.

The battle was awesome, and probably will be even more awesome when seen in motion. It was right down to the wire; May and Drew both had a sliver of their point bars left at the end. Absol and Combusken must both have uber defences, with the attacks they were taking. And was that a return of Drew's roses at the end?

Complaints are:

1. Squirtle should have gone down from the ferocity of those attacks before it got the opportunity to even get close to Flygon. It's still unevolved, no way should its defences be that strong. On the plus side, Absol slapped it down like the little b*tch that it is.

2. Harley didn't do anything. *sulks* Though his temper tantrum was hilarious. I love how everyone nearby turned and stared at him.

3. May's victory was rather undercut by her crashing defeat at the hands of Saori immediately afterwards.

4. Given that they went to the trouble of starting the May/Drew battle early just so there'd be enough time left over in this ep, why why why did they only show the last two minutes of the May/Saori match???

5. I still can't figure out what they were trying to do with Drew this GF. He was freaking out about losing to May, but then when he actually lost to her, he was fine? Where was the turning point? And what did Saori have to do with anything, in the end?

6. Overall, Saori kinda disappointed. Her introduction seemed so promising; I thought she'd be heavily involved in whatever was bugging Drew. But in the end, the writers just used her as a plot device to give May some information on Drew, then had her play the standard boring role of wise new friend to May, while she and Drew barely interacted. I can think of so many more interesting things that could have been done with her.

7. Why is Squirtle allowed to live?

I think on the whole, I preferred the last Grand Festival to this one. The animation was considerably poorer and the battles less impressive, but the character stuff was a great deal better. The Drew arc in this GF could have been fantastic, but it ended up only being quite good (which must sound very ungrateful of me, I'm sure ), because the resolution didn't live up to the excitement of the set-up. (Hmmm, is it me, or does Pokemon do this a lot?)

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Jo-Jo; 30th June 2006 at 2:59 PM.
    Fic plugs: Taking a Chance (multi-chaptered, Contestshipping/Pokeshipping)
    Firelight (Christmas oneshot, Contestshipping)

I adopted Drew Plushie from Ama's Collection

^ Adopted by moi. Innit CUUUTE?

May VS Drew: Coolest Battle Ever

It wasfantastic,fantasticFANTASTIC!!!!!

I liked all both May and Drew combinations of attacks.

In my opinion, Squirtle beating Flygon wasn't cheap, because it was damaged before by both May's pokemon.
    Wich attack did Flygon used??

Saori with a Butterfree and a Mini Pidgeot. her batle against masy was good,only good.

Sig killed by Hydrohs, please read the rules.

Count me in with those who wanted to see more of Saori vs. May.

Eh, I never really found Saori to be all that interesting, figures she lives up(or is it down?) to my expectations =/

I'm disappointed with Squirtle's victory. Beyond that, even =/ Prior damage or not, I have a hard time accepting that Drew's strongest Pokémon can be defeated by an Ice Beam from a tiny little Squirtle. The writers took the Cacturne route with this one by eliminating Flygon for the sake of the new Pokémon. Wigglytuff or Absol, it doesn't matter.

The writers need to give us better battles with the older Pokémon from the main rivals, not just kill them off to put the new ones on a pedestal. Either that, or refrain from just handing out new Pokémon like that. Harley could use a sixth Pokémon(Hypno), but Ariados, and to a lesser extent, Octillery, are falling behind in terms of screentime =/

Aside from that, though, this was a nice finalé to this Grand Festival. Could've been better, but what we got was good. I was happy to know Combusken didn't rely on Overheat to win this. Indeed, its trouble with the attack was even better; Overheat is a bloody powerful attack. Combusken or not, it shouldn't be so easily mastered.

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster
    For goodness sake people! What is so wrong with Aipom!
    Nothing, people just like having something to complain about

~*CB*~
    The 8th Champion
    Most Recent Works:

Hoenn's Legacy - An epic of the destruction of Hoenn, the rebuilding of it, and the second destruction. War story, rated TV-14 for Violence.

Skitoma - A story of love between two Wurmple unfamiliar with the concept. Rated PG for slight adult themes.

Ficubes made by me.

Someone gave me a keychain once that said "You're depriving some poor village of it's idiot." I thought it was a joke but no one else laughed

Did Scott ever mention where the Battle Pyramid is again? O_o
    I am the proud member of the Hoenn Lovers Club. (click below)http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=107609 I am the king of the Red Moon! ^_^
    ¤ If you ever pushed a door that said pull, put this in your signature. ¤

I'm disappointed with Squirtle's victory. Beyond that, even =/ Prior damage or not, I have a hard time accepting that Drew's strongest Pokémon can be defeated by an Ice Beam from a tiny little Squirtle.
    Stats don't really mean a thing when it comes to type matching. Just accept the fact that if Squirt were a Blastoise, she'd still kill Flygon dead. Oh, and let's factor character development into this--Squirtle was a LOT more annoying at the beginning of this journey(but not to me, cause I've heard worse rants from JJ). Remember when Flygon completely killed the little guy? She's a lot braver now.^_^

Revolution FC: 2620-9865-4149

Cool crack monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-Jo
    ^ You MUST stop inserting OT jabs at Jessie every time you post.

The battle was awesome, and probably will be even more awesome when seen in motion. It was right down to the wire; May and Drew both had a sliver of their point bars left at the end. Absol and Combusken must both have uber defences, with the attacks they were taking. And was that a return of Drew's roses at the end?
    I'm just confused that why Team Rocket didn't cause any trouble at this Grand Festival, like how they did at the Hoenn GF.

BTW, Jo-Jo, you don't have to get mad at me, just because I mostly talk about Jessie.

I havent seen this yet, But it looks Sweet! Ya! May used tuckers Stragites!

I bet Eni only showed up because he heard that Ash was beating his monkey.
    How greatly disappointed he must have been.

From this picture, this looks like a good episode. I wont comment too much until i've actually seen the episode.

w00t for hissy Harley.
    .:Team Leaf:.

Sprites by Pokesho, Zerudez, MisterReno & RedRooster

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-Jo
    1. Squirtle should have gone down from the ferocity of those attacks before it got the opportunity to even get close to Flygon. It's still unevolved, no way should [i
    its[/i] defences be that strong. On the plus side, Absol slapped it down like the little b*tch that it is. [/spoil]
    That just made my morning start all well Jo-Jo. I agree 100% that stupid little turtle should have no defense and should still be conisdered a baby and especially when going up against a pokemon like flygon it should get slapped around.
    I've seen the pics the part i really liked though was when may got both her pokemon to use the strategy as Tuckers. Don't you guys think though that they went easy on the bar points with may Again. It looked liked from the pics that she was clearly hit with Waterpulse from Absol shouldn't that have drained the little energy she had. And then she used overheat, doesn't that drain energy or something. I dunno it seemed to me like her points weren't taken off right. But that is not my final word cuz i will watch the episode first then give my final word.
    Anyways its now time to watch Germany vs. Argentina, pe@ce.

Why was Max checking the Pokenav at the end of the episode?
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

Quote Originally Posted by E4Babosow
    Please keep the comments to yourself.
    No! You asked and I responded.

End of post.

I haven't been too enthused with the Contest world since May's 2nd Contest way back in Houen, but I'll say that this episode was a good one, for a number of reasons.

#1 - May VS Drew. Like everyone else has said, May needed to be victorious against her main rival. This battle really showed how May has grown as a Coordinator, and I think Drew saw this as well. That could've been what his anxiety was all about throughout this GF. Glad to see Flash being put into the anime as well.

Even though I'm not a fan of May's Squirtle, its use of Rapid Spin to evade Absol's Flash was clever. Even better was Combusken's use of Fire Spin to block Absol's Slash so Squirtle to get a clear shot at Flygon, which surprised the HELL out of Drew. Don't know about anyone else, but it felt real good to see Absol knock Squirtle out using Iron Tail.

I was hoping Combusken would have used its Blaze ability instead of learning Overheat. I wish she took Absol down with her Sky Uppercut, instead of the time running out.

#2 Ash's battle/capture with Aipom. What made it interesting was that Aipom uses its tail to execute all of its major attacks (Swift, Iron Tail, Focus Punch). It also made a "victory" sign when it first knocked Pikachu back with Focus Punch. It sure has Ash's old cockiness. There was a crowd of people that (I assume) was watch the GF from the big-screens outside. They grouped around Ash while he and Pikachu battled Aipom, and cheered for him when Aipom was caught. Had to love that.

#3 May crying when she lost. Kinda jerked a tear from me as well; I felt her pain. She got a boost of confidence after beating her long-time rival and was dead-set on making it to that Ribbon Cup. It would've hurt anyone to be knocked out, with virtually no effort, in your next match. I agree with CyberCubed - Saori should've used Lapras instead of Slowbro. At the same token, May should've gone with another Pokemon other than Combusken. The evolved Starter seemed to have taken massive damage last round...I know Eevee's Shadow Ball would've came in handy somehow.

----

Anyway, the writers know damn well they could've stretched the Grand Festival for another episode instead of giving us a filler about Aipom and "the king", but whatever.

-sCiZoR

After seeing the pictures i can say that May's win was still cheap, but not as cheap as i first thought it out to be, And more importantly i don't think i ever seen Ash get that excited while battling a prospective capture before, i mean maybe afterwords like he did with Caterpie, but never before, nice having a Tucker reference, and why in the name of heck did Scott show up, does he just like to show up to make people beleive he truly is a stalker, or did he just come to inform Ash of where the pyramid is now, who knows what this guy thinks.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast