Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39

Thread: Johto Starter Rant

  1. #26
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    After Colonly 195
    Posts
    4,841

    Default

    So what should I call them hotshot?

    The normal third generation Pokemon formerly starters in the Johto games?

    No, I think we should call them what they are, the Johto starters.
    Scrubs (My Cold Shower) JD's closing Monolouge: As I looked at all the relationships around me, Some that had gone on forever, (Cox and Jordan) Some that were reigniting, (Carla and Turk) And some that were had just begun, (Elliot and Keith) I realized something.

    It should have been me. (In reference to Elliot while he is taking a cold shower.)
    YES, JElliot is coming back. Screw Elliot Keith, and all its backers.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Guy
    ^^No, he's on about the fact that the Johto starters are being classed as starters, but they weren't treated as such in the 3rd generation. Thus, he's saying that they aren't really starters in the 3rd generation, correct me if i'm wrong. And i half agree.

    While they sure as hell weren't treated as starters in the 3rd generation, they were first ever introduced to the world as starters back in the 2nd gen. So it's only natural that most people will see them, and remember them that way, i sure do.
    Finally someone understands. I am not ranting on their title, put how people misinterpret there purpose in the 3rd generation.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zora
    Finally someone understands. I am not ranting on their title, put how people misinterpret there purpose in the 3rd generation.
    Just because people call them starters doesn't mean that they're misinterpreting their purpose.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zora
    You'd be surprised. I actually found this post from DP, this is a real example



    And XD, man was that a headache.
    Please don't quote me out of context.When I(and most people) use the term 'starters',I'm simply referring to that group of 3 pokemon that you start with in any given generation regardless of where or how they are obtained.I traded my bayleef over from colo yet I still refer to it as a starter.
    Last edited by Darkdd; 24th July 2006 at 1:39 AM.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy37
    Just because people call them starters doesn't mean that they're misinterpreting their purpose.
    Well at least you are on the right track, that is why I beforehand provided these examples:

    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpos...6&postcount=10

    Look at the bottom two qoutes

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zora
    Well at least you are on the right track, that is why I beforehand provided these examples:

    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpos...6&postcount=10

    Look at the bottom two qoutes
    The second quote is fine, because by "Kanto starters" and "Johto starters", they probably mean the starters from each of the two regions, respectively.

    I do see your point on the first quote though. They're not exactly starters if you get them towards the end of the game.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight.
    The second quote is fine, because by "Kanto starters" and "Johto starters", they probably mean the starters from each of the two regions, respectively.

    I do see your point on the first quote though. They're not exactly starters if you get them towards the end of the game.
    Then clearly you haven't been to the DP section. People really think that, just because we know doesn't mean they haven't realized it.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    532

    Default

    Do you want us to call them "Enders"?

    The ONLY Shiny I have ever caught, back in Gold. My file was shortly deleted by my friend...


    La Quinta Estacion
    Que te Quería


  9. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyboy
    Do you want us to call them "Enders"?
    No, I do not care what you call them. The title means nothing (or 'the fact they are called Johto starters means nothing). It is just how people think they were released in games because Nintendo wants to start a new trend.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    532

    Default

    Oh I understand you now, Sorry about that!

    The ONLY Shiny I have ever caught, back in Gold. My file was shortly deleted by my friend...


    La Quinta Estacion
    Que te Quería


  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    561

    Default

    If one says "starter" and is referring to R/B/Y/Fr/Lg, they mean Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. That is referring to Kanto.

    If one says "starter" and is referring to R/S/E, they mean Treecko, Torchic, and Mudkip. That is referring to Hoenn.

    If one says "starter" and is referring to GSE, they mean Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile. That is referrring to Johto.

    All 9 of those Pokemon are considered "starters" because you are able to choose them as your starter in their respective games.

    You are right, in the 3rd Generation, they are not starters. That doesn't erase their past though. In G/S/C they were starters. They are the Johto Starters. If you are referring to starters you are referring to whatever region you get them in. The Johto starters aren't presented as starters in Emerald, but are presented in an extremely different way, thus showing there is something special about them, almost a legendary ( if you will ) that can breed.

    I understand your point. In Emerald they are released to the player as a Johto Pokemon. Not really a starter, but more of a finisher. Either way, they are still Johto Starters. If you play in the Johto region, they will be your starters, and nothing can change that.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The Land of the Free =/
    Posts
    627

    Default

    For the last time, that's not what he means. He means that people are thinking that just because the Johto starters where in Emerald, they're going to start doing that for D/P. Which I think, won't be the case.

    The Johto starters were just there, like Zora said, to let all Johto pokemon become accessible... I think that's what he said..... Anyways, what I'm getting at is, that he's not talking about calling them "Johto starters." That is not what he means.
    My Emerald Team:
    Swampert, Castform, Beautifly, Manectric, Wailord, and Bagon.


    Red's PokePet

    Patches the level 50 Pachirisu!

    Discharge
    Thunderbolt
    Thunder Wave
    Thunder
    Patches is better than you. Get over it!!!

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London, UK/ ^Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zora
    Finally someone understands. I am not ranting on their title, put how people misinterpret there purpose in the 3rd generation.
    Would've preferred, "Finally, someone who understands", as i got what you meant from the beginning, but didn't post. But yeah, don't pay attention to the title people.
    What goes around comes around...

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Momoko Lover
    For the last time, that's not what he means. He means that people are thinking that just because the Johto starters where in Emerald, they're going to start doing that for D/P. Which I think, won't be the case.

    The Johto starters were just there, like Zora said, to let all Johto pokemon become accessible... I think that's what he said..... Anyways, what I'm getting at is, that he's not talking about calling them "Johto starters." That is not what he means.
    Thank you. Basically people are thinking that possibly we will get Hoenn/Johto/Kanto starters in DP without trading, secondly, the RPG games only contained Johto starters to have access to them. It is the time you got them that fooled people, but it was part of Miror B.'s story in regards to the pawns, which had the three "starters." People thought then towards the beginning of XD that you would got the second stage of Kanto starters, or some even thought Hoenn for that matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •