Thread: Good-bye to You (song-fic/one-shot)

Default Good-bye to You (song-fic/one-shot)

This is a prequel to The Battle for Friendship. It's best you may want to read it first before you continue. There are some things in here you may not understand unless you read the story. But of course, if you wish to continue, go ahead and ask me questions. I'll be happy to answer.

I decided to do this to show how the plot began to the story. And this is a song-fic, so the song is "Good-bye" by Michelle Branch.

Disclaimers: I do not own Pokémon (It may not look like a Pokémon fic, but it is.), nor the song. Satoshi Tajiri <sp?> owns Pokémon and Michelle Branch is the artist of this song. The characters in this story, however, are mine alone. (Except for a certain last name mentioned here. If you're familiar with the Japanese names to every single Pokémon character INCLUDING the movies, then you'll see what I mean.)

So, to stop my babbling... here's Good-bye to You.

WARNING: Tissues are greatly needed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Good-bye to You

It was the day of our soccer game. I watched as my twin, Daisy Vanner, puts on her tennis shoes and ribbons. She was a very beautiful girl. Her long, red hair was curly at the ends, though it was a bit wavy in the middle. Two corkscrews fell over her ears, so they occasionally flopped around. Her amethyst eyes sparkled brightly in the morning sun as she fixed her hair. She was the same size as me, but she was a tad bit fit.

I turned to the mirror on our dresser we shared to gaze at my reflection. A young girl at the age of eleven wasn’t who she was supposed to be. My hair was red, but it wasn’t as bright as my twin’s was. It was short, resting behind my shoulders horizontally. Though I had the same color irises as her, they weren’t as bright. I took off my gold earrings and placed them carefully in the jewelry box. It was safe not to wear jewelry during the game, and I’ve never broken the rules before. Instead, I slipped on my orange headband, leaving the hair that hung over my ears alone. I quickly re-checked my shoes and faced my twin.

“You ready, Azalea?” she asked me softly, smiling her sweet smile. “If we win this game, we’ll be able to enter into the finals.”

“I know we will,” I said, giving her a thumbs-up. “You’re the best player on the team!”

She blushed. “Nah, you’re just saying that.”

“You are!”

We stared at each other and laughed. We’ve never failed to make each other smile. Whenever one was down, the other would joke around, bringing the girl’s spirits up. “Well, come on, dear twin! Father’s waiting for us.”

I nodded and hopped up from my bed. “Good luck, Daisy.”

We grasped each other’s hands. “You too, Azalea. Good luck.”

Of all the things I believed in
    I just want to get it over with
    Tears form behind my eyes
    But I do not cry
    Counting the days that pass me by

We met our father, Kevin, at the bottom of the stairs. He was a nice man, always brushing back his orange bangs from his blue eyes. He was strong and wise, seeing as it helps him as a police officer. “So, you girls ready for your soccer game?” he asked us.

“We sure are!” we chanted, smiling.

“Good! Now, let’s get going!”

We grabbed our water bottles and kneepads and gathered into the car. It used to be a full car when our mother, Yuma, was around. When my twin and I were five, mother and father went to a high school reunion. From what I heard from my father when he came home was that mother had collapsed. The doctors couldn’t wake her up, nor restart her heart. The heart disease that Daisy has had finally killed her, as well as our un-born brother. My father was depressed since then, but he always counted on us. After all, we were all he had left.

Fifteen minutes later, after a boring car ride through most of Pewter City, we made it to the soccer field. I saw many of our teammates already exercising for the game in the field. We happily raced out of the car, waving to them. “Hey, guys!” my sister called, laughing.

“Hey, here comes Daisy! How’re you doing?” one of the girls asked, giving her a high five. She flicked away her long, lilac hair, smiling with her emerald eyes.

“I’m feeling okay, Naomi,” she answered. “How’re you?”

I stayed out of their conversation, sitting down on the other end of the bench. I glanced over at Tyler Fuji, another teammate. His aqua-green hair was a bit bushy, probably because his parents didn’t yet trim it. His bright, blue eyes were scanning the field. He looked bored from what I could tell. I smiled. “How’re you doing, Tyler?” I asked him.

He turned to me sharply, glaring at me. “Don’t talk to me, Nobody,” he growled, moving to another spot.

I sighed sadly, fighting back tears. “Nobody” was the nickname everyone but Daisy called me. I was different from them. Just as Daisy sometimes got into make-up, I never did. I didn’t talk about boys, nor talked on the phone from hours on end. Nor did I act like a boy, though I played plenty of sports. Because of that, I became a sudden outcast. Only my twin seemed to notice me.

I’ve been searching deep down in my soul
    The words that I’m hearing are starting to get old
    Feels like I’m starting all over again
    The last three years were just pretend
    And I said

I gazed at the grass for a while, waiting for the game to start. I watched as a shadow came by and sat next to me. “Azalea, is something wrong?” Daisy’s voice asked.

I shrugged. “I’m just very bored,” I lied. “Games always take forever to start.”

I heard her giggle. “I’m bored, too.”

“I thought you were talking to your friends.”

“I got bored with them.”

I sat up, stretching. “It figures. I sometimes do just that.”

“Doesn’t everyone?”

We laughed. I looked over at the stands to see if I could spot my father. I couldn’t see who was who, due to the distance we were separated by. And because one too many people were coming too quickly to watch their children. That was when Daisy’s laughter stopped abruptly. “Azalea? I have to tell you something,” she suddenly whispered.

I turned back to her. “What is it?”

“Well… I don’t think I should be playing today,” she said worriedly. “Something doesn’t feel right.”

“What do you mean?”

“I think there’s something wrong with me. I’m feeling weak.”

“Think the coach will allow you to play hooky?” I asked.

She shrugged. “I’ll try.” Daisy got up and walked over to our coach, Mister Auburn. He was an okay coach, though sometimes he got too rough. He didn’t seem to care much about us kids, though we had a feeling, he didn’t like us. His spiky, mahogany hair made us believe he was a punk as a teenager. His harrowed, golden eyes seemed to bore into our souls. Auburn seemed to scare everyone, though most of us liked him as a coach. I scooted down the bench to listen to their conversation.

“Mister Auburn? I’m not feeling good today,” I heard my twin say. “Is it okay if I sit-out through the game?”

“I can’t do that,” he muttered, not bothering to glance at her.

“Why not?”

“You’re needed. We don’t have many extra players.” He sniffed. “Besides, you’re the only one who can score perfect a hundred scores out of a hundred.”

“But, Mister Auburn! Something doesn’t feel right! Please let me sit-out!” she begged.

“Sorry, Miss Vanner. I can’t do that. Now go sit down.”

My twin sighed sadly and sat down, burying her face with her hands. I put my arm around her comfortably, glaring at the coach. He should be listening to Daisy. After all, she was always right about something.

Good-bye to you
    Good-bye to everything
    I thought I knew
    You were the one I loved
    The one thing that I try to hold onto

Daisy claims she’s psychic, though I never did find proof. Most of her predictions she makes come true after all. Some statements she makes also seem to happen. One of them I remembered was that our mother was never coming back. It has happened, and it affected her greatly. That was how she found out she must be psychic. She ended up having strange dreams that eventually came true. So she made up predictions or accidental statements that later came true. Only about half of them did so far.

“Don’t worry, Daisy. I’m here for you,” I said, giving her a hug.

“Thanks, dear twin,” she sighed. “I’m glad I have you.”

“Hey, Daisy! Want to play a game while we’re waiting?” one of the players called.

“No, thank you!” she answered.

“What!”

“Sorry. I’d rather hang out with my twin.”

I could’ve sworn I heard the person scoff. “Whatever.”

I started playing with Daisy’s hair nervously. Whenever I was scared about something, I would mess around with a certain object I had with me. Because I had my sister, I decided to mess around with her hair playfully. She loved it. As I started making small braids out of her hair, I could sense she was relaxing. “When you’re done, I’ll do yours,” she offered.

“Deal,” I agreed. “Boy, your hair’s a bit wavy. It’s hard for me to do these braids.”

“It’s not my fault.”

“I know that.”

For the next several minutes, I continued to do her hair as I listened carefully to the other players’ conversations. Nothing was about me so far, so I was happier. When I finished, Daisy started doing mine when the referee came by. She sighed. “Oh, well. I’ll do it later. Curse the soccer game.”

I laughed. “I thought you loved it.”

“If only it would start thirty minutes later.”

We giggled until the coach snapped at us to knock it off. We continued to snicker to ourselves, though. The joys of being a twin, you could have fun with the other one anywhere, anytime, anyhow.

I still get lost in your eyes
    And it seems that I can’t live a day without you
    Closing my eyes and you chase my thoughts away
    To a place where I am blinded by the light
    But it’s not bright

I could remember a very good memory I mentioned sometimes. It was the reason why we’ve never gone camping after that one incident. A few years ago, our father decided to go camping out in the woods for a couple of days. We were very excited and could not wait to explore the woods, searching for the one thing I always wanted to see: a Pokémon.

We’ve rarely seen anything go by our neighborhood. I’ve asked my father about it, and it was because of a certain war. So I was happy we were going out in the wilderness. If Pokémon refused to live near humans, then they’d be easier to find in the woods. So when we arrived there, Daisy and I rejoiced. Our father was planning to take us hiking, so we remembered to bring cameras.

After we had a late lunch, he let us go into the woods for a bit. As long as we were close to camp, we could stay until dinner. So for a few hours, my twin and I roamed the woods, searching for any sign of Pokémon. Sadly, none of us was successful, so we returned to camp disappointed. This was a big one, seeing as we could hear the cries at night. It got us ticked, almost making us jump out of our sleeping bags to hunt them down. But our father stopped us before we could.

The next day, we took a hike. We held on to our cameras tightly as we walked, turning our heads one-way to the other, searching. Though a rustle from a bush or tree caught our attention, nothing came out. Even lunch didn’t seem to lure the Pokémon out. We had to turn around after a while, due to the heat and time. But we were stubborn children then. We always seemed to get into many things. And we were never quitters. If we reached for a goal, we’d try to fulfill it. And so, the hunt was on.

We wandered away from camp that night, armed with only a flashlight and a camera. We were quiet not to wake up Dad, so we had to do it slow. So for the few hours we wandered further into the woods, we searched and searched for any signs of Pokémon. But we could not see anything. Daisy was getting frustrated as well as me, so we turned back. But because we had wandered too far, we were lost. We had panicked, crying out for help in vain. At last, Daisy decided to go search for the camp herself. I tried to stop her, but she refused.

“I’m not a quitter,” she had said. “And quitters never succeed.”

Good-bye to you
    Good-bye to everything
    I thought I knew
    You were the one I loved

I had to agree with her. With all of the faint growls I could hear, I knew the Pokémon weren’t friendly. So we braved the darks woods to escape the darkness. But as time went on, we got more and more lost. The clouds eventually moved in, blocking out the moon. With our flashlights dying, we started to lose hope.

That was when a miracle happened. From out of the bushes, a small, yellow rodent hopped out. The lightning-bolt-shaped tail made us believe it was an Electric Pokémon. As the flashlight lit up its features, we could see the ears were pointy with black tips. The hazel eyes gazed up at us curiously and the red cheek sometimes sparked. We recognized it as a Pikachu from our studies.

When the flashlight finally flickered out, the Pikachu’s cheeks sparked numerously and produced a glow around its body. With a small squeak, it walked off. We followed it in case it was going to lead us to our camp. Sure enough, after an hour or so of trekking, we reached the clearing where we were staying. The sky was slowly starting to light up, and we happily rejoiced. I turned around to thank the Pikachu, but it had disappeared. We searched quickly in the bushes, but nothing came up. We smiled, though, happy to be alive.

And it hurts to want everything
    And nothing at the same time
    I want what’s yours and
    I want what’s mine
    I want you, but I’m not giving in this time

“Come on, Azalea! The game’s starting!” Daisy pulled me out of my seat and dragged me off into the field. I watched her with worry as we shook hands with the opposing team. She didn’t seem to look well at all. I noticed she was starting to get cold sweat and she was paling slowly. Her eyes were dimmer and filled with pain. I held back a choking sob. I knew there was something wrong with her.

When we were born, Daisy had to stay in the hospital for a while longer than me. The doctors then diagnosed her shortly after birth with a rare heart condition. They told our parents that she wasn’t going to make it past the age of five. This made Daisy decide to do many sports as a young girl. I joined her as well, thinking I had the same disease. She proved them wrong, but she wasn’t yet pleased. She wanted to live the full life, just to show she was stronger than she seemed.

I idolized her for that. I’m sure that if I were to do a report on heroes or heroines, I’d choose my sister. Though my peers would make fun of me for choosing a “non-heroine”, I wouldn’t care. Just as long as I had Daisy with me. But as I continued to watch her, I had a feeling it wasn’t going to be that long. “Coach!” I called. “Something’s wrong with Daisy! You need to withdraw her now!”

“You crazy?!” he yelled back at me. “I make the withdrawals, not you! If you don’t be quiet, I will take you out of the game!”

“But…” I started, but Daisy stopped me from arguing more.

“It’s all right, dear twin,” she whispered. “I’ll be okay.”

“You sure? You don’t look well.”

“I’m strong. I’ll make it.”

“In this heat? You’re not dehydrating, are you?”

She didn’t answer me verbally. Instead, he shook her head slowly. She had a smile on her face as she usually did. I whined quietly. Daisy was so calm about it, but how come I wasn’t? It wasn’t right.

Good-bye to you
    Good-bye to everything
    I thought I knew
    You were the one I loved

The referee blew his whistle and the players facing off started. The opposite player ended up getting the ball first, so I ran towards him. I blocked his way, careful not to start a penalty by tripping him. I stole the ball quickly and passed it to Tyler. He didn’t seem to care about me during the game, but he was just the opposite at school. He stopped the ball with his foot and glared up at me.

“Tyler, I gave you the ball!” I shouted. “Don’t glare at me because of that!”

He didn’t answer. As the other team started advancing up to him, he kicked the ball off towards the goal. It wasn’t fast enough to score a goal, so the goalie threw it far. Keeping my eye on it, I traced the line to where it might end up. Daisy ended up running underneath it and smacked the ball the other way briefly with her head. The impact almost made her stumble. I helped her regain balance as she weakly tried to move.

“Azalea… don’t worry about me,” she told me. “Just focus on the game.”

“But, Daisy! You almost knocked yourself out! I should stick with you.”

But she shook her head, pushing me away. “I’ll be okay. Just don’t worry about me.”

“But…”

“Just focus on the game,” she repeated. “Worry about me later.”

I stared at her with disbelief. I always helped her, even when she didn’t need it. We focused on each other a lot anyway, even during a soccer game. She always said she didn’t need any help when in truth she did. She was old enough to take care of herself, but with a weak heart, she needed some help. “I’ll call you out,” I finally said.

“No, you shouldn’t.” She put her hand on my shoulder. “I’ll make it through the game. Don’t you worry.”

I gave a defeated sigh. Without saying another word, I moved to another spot of the field. She must’ve understood it for when I glanced at her, she was ready to play again.

Good-bye to you
    Good-bye to everything
    I thought I knew
    You were the one I loved

For the whole game, I kept my eye on Daisy, ready to help her. We had a tied score and the crowd was getting energetic. We only had a few minutes left of game play, so I took Daisy’s advice and focused more on the game. It was getting fierce, seeing as too many players slammed the ball into another’s face. A few players either purposely or accidentally kicked another in the shins. Because a few of the other team tackled one of our teammates to the ground, we earned a penalty shot.

I ended up chasing after a passing player and kicked the ball over to Daisy. “Go, go, go Daisy!” I cheered her on, picking myself off from the ground. “You can do it! Show them that girls have the power!”

She smiled and gave me a thumbs-up. Then she dodged the other players and shot off towards the goal. The crowd was very tense about this, cheering even louder. The announcer was so excited, he almost fell out of his seat as he shouted into the microphone. I wanted to throw my shoe at him to shut him up. Daisy was used to the crowds, but she did need to focus. As she got closer to the goal line, I couldn’t help but cheer her on with the other teammates.

But there was something very, very wrong.

Time seemed to slow down everything, so I could see everything clearer. I stopped rooting her on abruptly as my eyes widened. The players were hopping up and down, but slowly. The crowd’s cheering grew faint as my hearing senses numbed. The only person I focused on was my sister. As I watched, she moved inch by inch around the advancing players, getting ready to shoot. But when she neared, I saw her eyes widening as she paused. Her hand raised up to clutch her chest as she stumbled backward. Then time seemed to return to normal when landed on the grass on her back.

“NO-O-O!” I screamed, running as fast as I could towards her. Everyone gasped in horror.

“Oh, my God, something happened with Daisy!” I heard the announcer shout. “She wasn’t attacked, was she? Oh, my God…”

“Daisy! Daisy, what’s wrong?!” I asked, horrified at how she was in pain.

She averted her eyes away from the others to face me. “A-Azalea… I-I tried to prove them wrong…”

I knew what she meant, but I didn’t want to mention her weak heart. My vision blurred with tears as they flowed out heavily. I shook my head. “I-I know. You tried.”

She gave me a weak smile. “I had f-fun being with you… while it lasted.”

“Don’t say that! Everything’s going to be okay!”

“I-I’m sure mother is proud of us…”

“She is proud of us, including Dad! Please, please, Daisy, hold on!” I pleaded.

She weakly grasped my hand. “Thanks for… being there for me,” she choked out.

“Daisy! Hang on! Help is coming!”

“Good-bye… Azalea.”

“N-Not now, Daisy!” I stammered, choking on my sobs. “P-Please! N-Not today! Don’t lea-leave me! Stay awake, m-my friend!”

With one last sigh, Daisy closed her eyes, her head falling to her side. Her hand then slid out of mine and landed to her side softly. My father pushed through the crowd, but he was too late. He fell to his knees and sobbed into his hands. A few of the adults tried to comfort him, crying as well. My teammates started weeping into each other’s shoulders as well as the opposing team. A few adults were sobbing and shouting into their cell phones to call the ambulance. But it was too late. Their phone calls were useless.

“DAISY!” I screamed into the sky. With violent sobs, I leaned over her cold body, crying into it.

And when the stars fall
    I will lie awake
    You’re my shooting star…

I’ve never recovered from that day and I never will. My peers make it worse by blaming me for her death. It was not my fault, and it never will be. I had heard a cackling taunt in my head that day, though, as I cried into my dead sister: “Happy birthday, Azalea. You’re on your own.”

I was and I always will. I try my best to forget everything about that day, but it continues to haunt me. I’ve gone into counseling for help, but only a little bit of that day doesn’t bother me. I’ve only forgotten parts of the hour after her death.

But I’ll never forget Daisy Isabella Vanner.

Good-bye, Daisy. Good-bye to you…

“And again, blessed are all they that mourn, for they shall be comforted.” --- 3 Nephi 12:4

~~~~~~~~~~
    *Kutie Pie*
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Wow...that was...wow. It opens up your story a bit more from Azalea's perspective. Very touching KP, awsome job!

- The *sniff* new guy

"Cause I'm not alone, with a touch of your hand I am whole again." - All That Remains, Not Alone.
    {FELIX (SoulSilver: 4039 8212 8342)}
    {CJ (Pearl : 4254 4203 8074)}

That was so sweet. I thought that it was nice that you did a one-shot with a song from Michelle Branch. She's really good. I have all of her CDs. Anyway, I felt sad when Daisy died like that. This really gives more details into Azalea's personality and point of view. I also thought that it was cute that a Pikachu helped them get out of the woods like that.
    Claims: Yami Yugi[Bishie Thread 2.0] Ashita Tenki ni Shite Okure[Favorite Anime Song Thread]