Thread: Arcanine. Modest or Adamant?

Default Arcanine. Modest or Adamant?

For Arcanine, I was thinking of doing one of the following :

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    |This set definitely looks like the most fun, but I can't tell if it is the best.. |

Extremespeed
    Hidden Power Grass
    Fire Blast
    Crunch

OR

Howl
    Extremespeed
    Return
    Overheat

I would prefer his ability to be Flash Fire instead of Intimidate... but Im not sure.. For the first one I think I would go with Modest, and the second one Adamant, I think ... Should I do the second moveset, but with Lonely Nature? Should I combine the two and do :

Extremespeed
    Hidden Power Ground / Return
    Fire Blast
    Crunch

.. And then give it a Lonely nature?
        Spoiler:- Click to see my trade information:

I would not give it two of the same move (return and extemespeed are both normal type). Second of all, I would go with the following, but this is just me.

Arcanine@lum berry
    Mild
    Intimidate

Crunch
    Iron Tail
    Extremespeed
    Flamethrower

Since intimidate lowers the foe's attack, mild's lowering of the defense will be balanced. It can take advantage of high attack with the physical moves. Iron Tail, although rather innaccurate, is strong and can handle rock types.
    Flamethrower and crunch fuel off of that good special attack, and extremespeed is strong and always goes first. The lum berry is for anyone who tries to toxic/paralyze arcanine.
    The Latest Capture

28 / 20 / 26 / 30 / 30 / 31 Timid Southern Island Emerald Latios

FC: 3309 2165 3231

Special

Mild@Petaya/Lefties
    -Crunch
    -HP Special
    -Flamethrower
    -Roar/Sub

Physical

Lonely@Lefties/Leichi/Salac
    -ExtremeSpeed
    -HP Physical
    -Iron Tail/Overheat
    -Roar/Sub/Howl

You might make Jess cry since she is sad with having to move so many threads
    So I think I'm back.

Let's see how long this lasts.

I'd give it the 2nd move set. Flash Fire is good against fire pokemon and Intimidate lowes the attack so they are both good. Natures:I dont care much but whatever floats your boat.

Arcanine
    Adamant nature
    Trait : Intimidate
    ~Howl
    ~Extremespeed
    ~Hp fighting/ground
    ~Overheat
    ^That's the standard Arcanine, I believe. Intimidate your foe(s) when you come in, howl to raise attack, then sweep with extremespeed or hidden power. Overheat just in case you need a fire attack, it gets STAB, kills Skarmory and things with low sp.defense, and the sp.attack drop won't matter, since it'll be your only special attack. I really would use adamant over modest (or mild O_o) as physical Aracanine has howl to raise its attack, but Arcanine has nothing to strengthin his sp.attack without getting it baton passed to him... And he gets extremespeed as one of his physical attacks.

And if you can't get the right hidden power, use return like you have in your second set, Shiny_Milotic (Oh, my old user name used to be Shinymilotic!). And intimidate > flash fire.
    Lowering attack > immunity to fire, which it's already resistant to.

You people do realize that using howl is the same thing as using growl, except this raises your own attack, don't you?
    The Latest Capture

Moving to In-Game Rates since you're rating Arcanine.

*Moves*
    Matt the Drat!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny_Milotic
    For Arcanine, I was thinking of doing one of the following :

|This set definitely looks like the most fun, but I can't tell if it is the best.. |

Extremespeed
    Hidden Power Grass
    Fire Blast
    Crunch

OR

Howl
    Extremespeed
    Return
    Overheat

I would prefer his ability to be Flash Fire instead of Intimidate... but Im not sure.. For the first one I think I would go with Modest, and the second one Adamant, I think ... Should I do the second moveset, but with Lonely Nature? Should I combine the two and do :

Extremespeed
    Hidden Power Ground / Return
    Fire Blast
    Crunch

.. And then give it a Lonely nature?
    Try this:

Arcanine@Leftovers
    Nature: Forgotten
    Extremspeed
    HP: Ground
    Crunch
    Flamethrower/Overheat

Starterlover1 its better to raise your own attack then cut hes defense
    My Pearl friend code and name.
    3823 5111 2827 - Ezra
    Feel free to add me.

PM me if you have a Celebi or Jirachi that you want to offer me.
    I have some cool PkMn's to offer included some Legendary's!

^I mean that those one-stage moves don't really affect much. I would much rather baton pass something to Arcanine than give it something like howl.
    The Latest Capture

starterlover1, do you have any ideea what you're saying? Growl cuts the foe's attack, while howl increases yours. I'm sure you meant Tail Whip, or Screech, but it's useless. There is something called switching. If your opponent just switches the pokemon, screech/tail whip loses it's effect. Arcanine needs Howl, because a couple of Howls can really boost his attack. Because you're mostly playing against the stupid computer AI, and probably with rather low level pokemon, it may seem the same, but at lvl 100, Howl really boosts the damage. And with Extremespeed to attack first, it's murder.The only point in lowering the opponent's stats is if you really want him to switch, or in case you're using Metal Sound Maggie/Zapdos against Snorlax. You can BP some curses from Umbreon, or something like that, but there are much better receivers that Arcanine, so he's kind of on his own.
    If you do pass some attack, use Crunch/Iron Tail/Rest over Howl. If not, just use this:

ARCANINE @ Liechi Berry/Leftovers
    Intimidate
    - Extremespeed
    - HP Fighting/Ground
    - Howl
    - Overheat/Fire Blast

And Flash Fire is really a crappy trait. Nothing is going to hit Arcanine with fire anyway, be reasonable.
    Einstein would roll over in his grave. Not only does God play dice...but the dice are loaded!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Dark_EZRA~
    zam could kill a blissey because blissey's defense is way under avarage ice and fire punch are psychical

Lathspell you know that Aquarelle already posted that moveset but anyway use the moveset they posted it's a standard.

Yeah I think I am. Should I really use Adamant Nature for that though? I was thinking of using Mild just so I could still do an all-out blast with Overheat.

Overheat has 140 BP and gets STAB. It's more than enough to OHKO something that's weak to it, even with a -Sp.Atk nature. So go with Adamant.
    Einstein would roll over in his grave. Not only does God play dice...but the dice are loaded!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Dark_EZRA~
    zam could kill a blissey because blissey's defense is way under avarage ice and fire punch are psychical

Okay. You are right I guess.. This can be locked. This is my decision :

Arcanine @ ??
    Adamant
    - Overheat
    - Howl
    - Extremespeed
    - HP Ground / Iron Tail

I'd go with modest, but good luck getting one, I've been trying to get a modest Growlithe for ages!

Well, I have a Modest Exploud, I can just breed with an Everstone, but I have decided to go with Adamant instead.... Which will be harder to get..