Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan Comics Café

Sadly that's true. There are a few more exceptions than the ones you listed...Vye and a few others I know are currently reworking their comics, but generally speaking people have an issue taking critiques on these forums.

It's a real shame too...I see potential in quite a few, but they give up after one or two bad reviews. +Erin+ was a classic example. I had not once talked to the guy(to my memory anyway), yet he sent me an insulting PM alongside some explicit picture that I don't even wanna talk about.
    I'm glad the dude got banned, but people like him give fan comic makers a bad name.

If people are struggling for ideas, they should take inspiration from numerous things, other than just Pokemon. I for example enjoy One Piece, Dragonball, Naruto and other shonen manga. This inspires me to keep going and to attempt to do better.

Whilst we have a topic going, who inspires you?

Still THE Ace of Abra.

Oh, hey! We started updating comics again! Keep watching my DA for new comics and be sure to comment in the Fan Comic section!

Quote Originally Posted by Clockworkz View Post
    I"m gonna switch gears for a second.
    I am tired of seeing Fan Comics in such deplorable condition. This is what I'm seeing:

I am Fan Comics. I complain when people talk down about my work and give up in a heartbeat, then lash out at people who tried to previously help me. Since I'm on the internet, I could be some manic depressant with self-respect issues, or some fat little 14 year-old using my dad's computer who's instantaneously jealous of any quality artwork because of my inability to draw or sprite and my laziness to become talented at anything, doomed to a life of mediocrity and bull-**** degrees which will land me a job as a desk jockey for my entire career, ending up with an ugly wife and a bunch of annoying effing kids, living out the rest of my life without having any interesting features because I'm so goddamn untalented and boring and I want to inflict my sadness on anyone who dares to try and offend my inane creations.

There you have it. The majority of Fan Comics right there. There are exceptions; AbraAce, uh... Ophie, and... Well that about covers it.
    Discuss.
    I would like to think that I'm probably not one of them (Anymore).

- Peace
    Pokémon KD (Kanto Dimension) is located at a Fan Comics forum. Updates (whe)never.

[IMG]http://i13.*******.com/868hxts.png[/IMG]

Click the banner to go to the thread. Banner Credits to Coronis and Pe2k.

A degree? I'm not sure about the rest of the Western world, but half of the people who enter into my high school won't graduate. (It's been like this as far back as I've been able to check the school records which is the year that I graduated and the past...four years.)

It's the same deal with classes as it is here: People just don't want to put forth the effort to make something with quality. I think a lot of people have the potential to make a great story; most just don't realize what they've put themselves into and lack dedication. A few people here I've seen have improved considerably due to perseverence. And a few lessons on narratology. Shall I make a topic about what NOT to do when making a comic?

Quote Originally Posted by Ophie View Post
    A degree? I'm not sure about the rest of the Western world, but half of the people who enter into my high school won't graduate. (It's been like this as far back as I've been able to check the school records which is the year that I graduated and the past...four years.)

It's the same deal with classes as it is here: People just don't want to put forth the effort to make something with quality. I think a lot of people have the potential to make a great story; most just don't realize what they've put themselves into and lack dedication. A few people here I've seen have improved considerably due to perseverence. And a few lessons on narratology. Shall I make a topic about what NOT to do when making a comic?
    We've done stuff like that before, hasn't worked yet... I'm just working on my artistic skills before I return to show people with time and practice someone can actually be halfway decent in something that they had no background in before.

I'm planning on returning next week if working on a wiki/college projects don't distract me.
    Gone. I'm rather dissatisfied with how things have gone here. The staff and the users have exceeded my patience. You can still catch me on MSN, Smogon (as MythTrainerInfinity), or Shoddy Battle.
    DeviantArt Account

I guess you're right...No matter how many times you warn people about something, someone's going to miss every single one of them. Kind of like Homer in The Simpsons Movie. When I think about it, people make and finish their comics before they check out what there is in here anyway.

Yep, but then they see something that raises the average quality of something... if more and more keep on raising the bar... You'll see people try harder too. it goes back to what you said about people not motivated to try at your school. If more people cared and other people saw that something interesting was being accomplished the overall standard would be raised.

An innovative thought makes people scared for some reason or another. Then they try to find justification for their actions. After all they are doing something that they like, but still... I say a pursuit of talent is needed often times. Just the other day I debated an entire forum about the legality of sprite editing, which to my surprise I got them to admit I was right. They didn't like it of course and flung various insults at me. From my observations of that forum not much drove them to become better. Debating them on the said issue was not my main objective, however. My main objective is to push people to improve.

I don't like making my objectives clear, I like to let people figure them out. I have a problem with the laziness of the general consensus of people to want to improve. If people were more open to other kinds of ideas and improvement quite possibly we would have a few less problems in the world.

I'll soon be back to help out this place again.
    Gone. I'm rather dissatisfied with how things have gone here. The staff and the users have exceeded my patience. You can still catch me on MSN, Smogon (as MythTrainerInfinity), or Shoddy Battle.
    DeviantArt Account

Hmmm. I think you guys have made some very excellent and accurate points. It is true. Many people are resistant to new ideas, especially on these forums. It's often the new users, you see, who make new comics, and they don't have the skill to pull them off well. They just thought it would be cool to do what everyone else was doing. So we get tons of inane, indecipherable, and unfunny comics.

And many of them are not willing to listen to advice. They're possessive of their work to the point that they explode if anyone so much as throws a comma at them. They're new users. They're not necesarily known for their maturity.

Of course, one should always remember that the critiquers/reviewers have a responsibility in this, too. You really have to be wise about how you present your critique. I don't think that anyone here has ever really tried to be nasty, but it's so, so easy to come off that way. Even saying something as simple as, "This is crap," is a very unpleasant thing to hear. And what does that do to the beginning comic-maker? It basically kills them. So it's no wonder, then, that they explode.

There is an attitude around comic forums, and in fact around forums in general, that worries me somewhat. Sometimes people seem to think there's a war going on between beginning comic makers and advanced artists, and the way to win that war is by telling the beginners that they suck inconceivably badly. This couldn't be further from the truth.

The fact of the matter is, most forumgoers start out as what we call "noobs" in generally every aspect of what they do. Comics included. Goodness, I can think of several excellent strips who at first were absolutely horrendous. Mine, for instance. Over time, though, everyone either disappears or becomes skilled at conversation and comicry. Meanwhile, a new flux of noobs come in, whom the old users rant about.

What I'm asking for, I suppose, is respect for these new comic-makers, especially when it comes to critique. If one really wants to improve the comic forum, than the best thing to do is to be kind. Do NOT say things like, "Sorry, but this comic really sucks." Or, "It makes my eyes bleed." Saying things like that will only (and I've watched this happen time and again) aggravate the artist, and cause things to descend into a "you meanie" squabble, or in the worst cases, a flamewar.

Tell the comic-maker what you like. Then tell them what you don't. And be sure to explain what they can feasibly do to fix it.

I'm not trying to say we should cease all constructive criticism whatsoever, or be all sugary in our reviewing. That would be idiotic. What I'm saying is to be polite and not condescending. And even as you stare at pages and pages of blurry, pixellated, typo-ridden horror, don't forget that these kids are yourself, merely one step removed.

What I would love to see one day is this vision of a perfectly happy and healthy comic forum- a place where comic skill is honed and practiced, but also where newcomers are welcomed and appreciated. Rather than being told that they are failures, they are given tools, the tools they need to make their work great, by senior members. And no matter what a comic may look like, the right of its maker to disagree with the advice he's been given is always respected.

In working toward those ends, I’ve often felt like a wonderful thing would be to create an extremely comprehensive guide to every aspect of comic making, with clear, precise information so that these users can have access to really good details on what they can do to make their comics great. It would be a nice thing to do for the forum, and it would, I think, help me feel like I've really done something as its mod. Unfortunately, time and energy have not allowed for me to really do any work on this, but it's something I think would be a great idea to do.

~Mastercougar
    For various reasons, (not least because I've grown tired of this username), I've moved my operations over to other websites. If you're interested in following my adventures as I explore and subvert the many worlds of Nintendo through prose, look for me on Archive of Our Own, Bulbagarden, or OverClocked ReMix as "Daidalos."

And if you're a fan or a comic-maker from the old days, thanks for more than five unforgettable years of community, comics, and creativity. And thanks for remembering.

Peace out.

Very well put Mastercougar. The comics I've reviewed thus far I have tried to take a creative critical look towards them, and I believe it's probably the most effective way of tackling new comics.

Try to find the good and the bad, and give gentle nudges in the right direction rather than just stating you hate the comic. Just because we've been here longer doesn't give us authority to lay into new comic artists.

Still THE Ace of Abra.

Oh, hey! We started updating comics again! Keep watching my DA for new comics and be sure to comment in the Fan Comic section!

The worst thing to say, if you ask me, worse than just plain saying that someone's comics, art, story, or whatever sucks, is to tell them to stop and give up. It probably hurts the most, and it's really bad when it comes from someone who DID begin really well or improve at a rapid rate.

I swear...I won't name anyone, but some people have that whole eugenics vibe about them.

There are two universal human fears, at least from what I've thought: the fear of change and the fear of being wrong. Telling somebody that something of theirs can improve works off of both of these fears, and it's only natural that some people would become defensive. I get rather defensive myself about the stuff I do, though mainly because I have so much sentimental value in them that I can't bear to make a radical change. I don't think this goes for everybody here, or even most people here, however, since a large quantity of the topic creators here are just starting out making comics.

After a lot of criticism, however, I've noticed I suggest the same few things numerous times, sometimes more than when I don't suggest them. I shouldn't call them "errors," however, since to some people they might make the comics worse. I'm sure, for instance, there are people who prefer text at the bottom of each panel instead of speech balloons/bubbles, just as there are people disillusioned with Hollywood films that they watch disjointed films, like those of Jonas Mekas or Kenneth Anger. (Since there's no such thing as a wrong opinion, there's no such thing as a comic done wrong either. However, I think I can tell if someone does something that will be unpopular or overwhelmingly disliked; those are things one can measure.) That's why I was aiming to make a comic about what not to do in a comic...kind of like an evil twin of "Understanding Comics."

You guys are on too something with this stuff and I totally agree.

But on a different note, I am afraid of rejection because it has happend to me a few times on this forum. So would anyone be kind enough to critically review one my comics before I post it?

So then I could just like... know what I should do to improve it, before everyone starts yelling it at me?
    That awkward moment when three years after inactivity you feel the need to come back to the fandom.

Well, the problem there is that we won't be able to see it until you post it, and getting critique from one or two people won't tell you if something needs to improve. Putting it here as a topic will give everyone a chance to see it.

When you think about it, if 2 people hate it but 98 people like it, and you happened to get only those two people by shwoing it to them, you're going to think that your comic is bad. On the other hand, if you found out that of a hundred people, nearly all like it, you'll get a much different picture.

Don't worry people, I may have abandoned my HMM thread but I'm still on, the reason? Actually many, one, its a pain to get on this site anyways because about sixty percent of the time its down for me, which I hate. Two, I don't feel that I have enough respect, it seems like as I got better, people didn't really pay attention to me, and three, I lose interest too easily so I'm more suited with doing one shot Naruto and Pokemon shorts personally.

I just find it weird that many people commonly either comment the really popular series or the ones that are terrible, and I don't know, I just felt a bit underrated so I moved all of my comicing to deviantart since people seem to appreciate it more and give me more encouragement and critique for me to actually be motivated.

I mean, to some extent I'm afraid of rejection, sometimes I can't even read the comments because I'm so afraid and think so irrationally, but when I read them, I realize it isn't as bad as I thought and think "Okay... I'll keep that in mind."
    Betelgueseshipper for life Yo!

I'm here to support the comics that can't seem to get noticed by people. So far, it really hasn't help much...The comics that people ignore from the outset usually continue to get ignored. I can't explain why, but I'll continue to support them and help them grow and build momentum.

Posting anything on the internet will come with the risk of people saying flat-out that your material stinks. This happens no matter how good you are at something. Super Mario Galaxy has recently bested Ocarina of Time for the #1 best game of all time at GameRankings, yet if you look at online discussions about the game, they're overrun with people complaining that it's too easy or that they get dizzy...or just say they don't like it just to get people mad.

The only thing you can do is ignore them. If someone tells you they don't like your work and can't give a good reason why, ignore them; trolls enjoy attention, and if you deprive it from them, they go away. Some people here really do want people to succeed and will honestly tell you what you should work on in the future, however.

Could someone please tell me which Photoshop program they would recomand for making good comics? Hopefully one that's not real expensive.
    Super smash bros. Brawl FC: 0301-9474-0414
    PM me If you want to Brawl.

You don't need a good Photoshop program to make awesome comics. My comics have come across very well (well-liked, but the topics die), and I hardly ever use anything other than the one...

the only...

Microsoft Paint.

Yes, I'm dead serious. The bare-bones image-editing program is probably the #1 tool for sprited webcomics, as it's extremely easy to use and fills all the basic needs. You need nothing more. If you plan on flashy special effects, though, look up "GIMP" on Google. It'll handle most effects, and it is also a free app.

Sometimes basic really is best.
    Friend Code: 5026-5649-8262
    Pokémon X ∙ Animal Crossing
    Friend Safari: Meditite, Pancham, Tyrogue

even though i use the majority of paint too, i kinda wanna try a photoshop program. can yah believe i've never used Photoshop? i mean like, i've never touched it. not even the package it comes in (if it comes in a package o.o).

but hell, you can even just use pencil/paper and just scan it afterwards if you want to. i've seen people do that from time to time.

and as far as paint goes. it's so simple of a program you can do almost anything with it, if you put the time into it. time is what kills me on this, i wanna figure a way to do it quicker!

POKEMON BLACK 2 FRIEND CODE: 0991 9680 2397
    (X/Y 2191-8614-1988 Friend Safari Pokemon: Charmeleon, Magmar, Ninetails)

Hey guys, I was wondering, do you prefer battles in a battle screen or from the overworld? Why?

I'm curious.

What do veteran comic makers like to see in comics, as far as story line, art form, and other mechanics of a sprite comic?

What I like to see, more than anything else, is surprise. (I don't know if I'd be a veteran though.) I like to see something that continues to come from left-field but still feel natural. That is, if we were to apply this to graphic novel series, Bizenghast is terrible because it follows strictly within its genre's expectations, but Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo isn't too good either because it's so "out there" that it's ahrd to take in.

Matt Silver's RANT OF THE DAY:

Today's topic: Newbie Comics.
    The thing I liked about sprite comicing is that anyone could do it... this led to a mess of chop shop comics by newbies to the forum... which ultimately made this place unbearable. Time passed since the vets (Veteran comickers) saved it a little with decent plots, humourous jokes, and decent presentation and spriting skills.
    Now... we have tutorials and vets lending help left and right... but we still get bad newbie comics mixed with the good ones. The ratio is something like 1 good newbie comic to 5 bad ones.
    My question is this - is further instruction needed to help newbies have good and decent comics, are the vets too shallow when they poke out all the mistakes in newbie comics (Is "mean" crit justified?), or should we just wait and see if the crappy comics evolve into something awesome?
    If you don't get what I'm saying, I'd be happy to explain further.
    Pokémon KD (Kanto Dimension) is located at a Fan Comics forum. Updates (whe)never.

[IMG]http://i13.*******.com/868hxts.png[/IMG]

Click the banner to go to the thread. Banner Credits to Coronis and Pe2k.

Well, I'm technically a newbie comic maker, but I felt like I should tell a story of some sorts. Might be a little irrelevant to your question Matt, if I can call you that, so I apologise if it doesn't actually answer it directly.

When I started comic making, I used to be in the same boat as some others. My comics were pretty, well, bad. I basically ran on the lame one-shot jokes, the bad sprite cropping, and typical storyline. Execution was pretty terrible. But for some reason, I still wanted to make them, even though I wasn't very good. Not sure if it were the boredom, or it just being fun to me.

Now, I'll be honest: I have NEVER used a comic tutorial, let alone read one. Ever. The only thing I went by is my ability to cut and paste images. I didn't need a tutorial for that.

Well anyways, I started showing people examples of my comic, just to get an idea of how I can get better. I was overwhelmed with the pointers they gave me, that I just stopped the comic making altogether for the time being. I focused the rest of my time on manipulating sprites effectively, and pretty soon I was able to create my own trainers, scenery, and such. I continued this pattern of making comics and recieving critique for a while, and I still do it until this very day. Looking at my comic now, you can take a guess that I've come a somewhat long way.

But anyways, I think the fault doesn't lie with the audience, but rather with the producer. People learn with different methods. As you read with me, I learn in the way of the trial-and-error: I had to keep making comics, and messing up until I actually got good. Others may learn with tutorials, and others may simply learn with a little shove in the right direction from time to time. Though I don't think any amount of tutorials or "crit" will help new comic makers to improve, unless they actually choose to accept the assistance. I've seen so many one-shot comics here, that I even question the reason for making the comic.

Another thought I had is that some people only make comics just for the attention. Like you said, anyone can make a sprite comic. I think this just presents some window of opportunity for some people, so they think they should just join the bandwagon to be just like everyone else. This results in the lackluster attempts that you have been seeing. I say, if you want to join said community, then more power to you. But at least look like you put more than 10 minutes in its production. Quality over anything else.

So I say, wait and see how they evolve. Usually, the people who try and put actual effort in their work will begin to make changes for the better.

Long. Ehh...

I've been thinking of making a DBZ comic, but I never start working on it, but I think I'll start right about... now.
    Last edited by Darkeus; 5th April 2008 at 7:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeus View Post
    I've been thinking of making a DBZ comic, but I never start working on it, but I think I'll start right about... now.
    That may be a bit complicated...are you sure you're up for it?

And along-side THAT I'm thinking of making a Pokemon/Animal Crossing sprite/drawn comic. The sprites are almost done...
    Last edited by LGameboyR; 7th April 2008 at 5:52 AM.
    [CENTER]Thanks to Dark Latios for the Trainer Card & the Gameboy Advance was done by me.

I'm making a comic based on the manga Ginji's rescue team. I already have two comics up please go there and tell me how I can improve (please post on the comic thread) LINK:http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=312826
    Last edited by Lugia4ever; 10th April 2008 at 2:46 PM.

Credit to Light Venasaur for the awesome banner

Join the Little Cup Premier League

FIGHT CLUB GYM BADGES:

Credit to Northern Lights for the badge

Quote Originally Posted by Lugia4ever View Post
    I'm making a comic based on the manga Ginji's rescue team. I already have two comics up please go there and tell me how I can improve (please post on the comic thread) LINK:http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=312826
    ata boy

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast