Thread: Yu-Gi-Oh Favorites

Default Yu-Gi-Oh Favorites

So I grew up with Duel Monsters on...WB I think? So yeah, been a fan since then. I also watched GX for the first time a few years back, reporting on my thoughts as I viewed it on this very forum.

However I've decided it's time I continue my Yugioh Quest. Partly I was inspired by all the talk I've heard about the new series. I heard so very little about Zexal so I'm curious to go and try it out. What's more, I heard quit ea lot of praise for 5D's on another board I frequent.

Anyway, before I get to 5D's and Zexal, i decided to do a GX re-watch. I'll talk more on that in a minute though. Let's begin the actual point of this thread!

What is your favorite YGO series?

Who is your favorite YGO main protagonist?

Who is your favorite YGO main antagonist?

For Subbers or Dubbers or both, which series do you think had the best voice-acting?

Feel fee to supply your own queries too if you wish.

I think I'll start by answering the first question.

You know something that is extremely obvious to me now as I sit through these episodes of GX Season 1? It's so obvious to me now that I'm honestly ashamed of myself for missing it three or four years ago.Then again, I think the reason a lot of people disliked GX is based on the fact they missed it too.

Yugioh GX is insane.

GX took the high-intensity melodrama of the original and brought it to its most absurd and extreme conclusion. Whereas Duel Monsters played everything very straight, GX took the concept of Card Games as Serious Business and ran with it all the way to purest gold.

The Top Ten Craziest Episodes of Yu Gi Oh GX
    http://www.squidoo.com/Most-Insane-E...s-Of-Yugioh-GX

And that list isn't even scratching the surface of the madness.

A new set of rare cards is delivered to Duel Academy by an armed guard of Navy and Air Force that fought off espionage and attack subs.
    Duel Academy was founded in part to protect three cards that can destroy the world.
    A random country never mentioned before it's introduced has developed a satellite that can blow up the planet. Naturally a man hands over the keys to said satellite to the main villain after losing a duel.
    The human race used to live peacefully with the vampire race before we wiped them out in a war.

And there's MORE! I'm currently compiling a list of my favorite GX quotes to be posted when I finish my re-watch but, well, let's just say that while I hold a lot of the dub changes against Duel Monsters, I hold none of the changes against GX. Why? Because it is plain as day to see that the localizers looked at the script and said "ya know, if they are having fun with it, then so are we!" They took something that was already pushing the barriers of craziness and had it trample down the barriers instead.

And that is why GX is the best Yugioh series in my opinion. Opinion may change upon viewing of 5D's or Zexal.

Now...your thoughts everyone? I look forward to reading posts from more informed YGO fans.

What is your favorite YGO series? My favorite series is DM followed by 5D's.

Who is your favorite YGO main protagonist? My favorite main protagonist is Yugi followed by Yuya.

Who is your favorite YGO main antagonist? Yami Marik and Yami Bakura followed by Vector.

For Subbers or Dubbers or both, which series do you think had the best voice-acting? It's a tie for DM but anything else the subs are better.

A tough one. Each series has it's own thing that's neat, so it's hard to pick a favorite.

Jaden, because I kinda relate to him more than the other leading protagonist.

Another tough one. I lean toward heroes more than rivals. Kite's Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon and Kaiba's Blue-Eyes White Dragon are cool though.

For Subbers or Dubbers or both, which series do you think had the best voice-acting?
    Dub, DM and maybe Zexal, like the scene in A World of Chaos: Part 2 where Astral says goodbye. Did anyone watch that?

I don't know why I like GX so much but it's my favourite one. I liked the characters (after season one) and the plots for each season were interesting. I think season three was the best of all of the Yu-Gi-Oh series'. GX was also where the card game peaked for me. Elemental Heroes and Crystal Beasts were my favourite deck themes. 5d's was a great follow-up in terms of story and the protagonist himself, but I don't have that nostalgic connection. Then after that I stopped paying attention.

breathe it in, i'm gonna shine. it's my moment, i'm going to fly.

What is your favorite YGO series? My favorite Yu-Gi-Oh! series would have to be DM 'cause of nostalgia, followed by 5D's.

Who is your favorite YGO main protagonist? A tie between Yugi/Atem and Yusei.

Who is your favorite YGO main antagonist? Bakura, followed by Pegasus.

For Subbers or Dubbers or both, which series do you think had the best voice-acting? DM had excellent voice acting in Japanese, especially during the finale.

What is your favorite YGO series? 5D's by far, then YDM

Who is your favorite YGO main protagonist? Yusei, then Yugi, then Jaden, then Yuma, then Yuya. I'm placing in order of favorites

Who is your favorite YGO main antagonist? Dartz, Marik, then the Mecklord Emperors

For Subbers or Dubbers or both, which series do you think had the best voice-acting? Dubbed all the way, and the best for me was 5D's
    Thanks to FairyWitch for the profile pic!

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

National Dex Completed 2/13/2014, at 12:12 A.M., with 212:16 Game Time, and thanks to my friends who traded me over 200 times that week

It's got to be DM hands down. But 5DS is a close second.

Yugi is the best IMO, but Yusei is close.

Marik, Yami Bakura, and the Dark Signers

I think that the dub is great, it's got really good voice acting. I'd say DM and 5DS has the best voice acting really.
    Last edited by DarkLucarioADV; 18th June 2014 at 3:06 AM.

Having just finished my GX re-watch, figured I'd post my favorite quotes.

Episode 2
    Syrus: Think we were somehow connected to each other in some ancient life Jaden? You know, like you were an Egyptian Pharaoh and i was the guardian Seto?
    Jaden: No offense but that's just lame.

Episode 4
    Jaden: Sure Ra Yellow is nice with their clean sheets, lack of cockroaches and those spiffy blazers….

Episode 10
    Jaden on the Paradox Brothers: Ah, these guys couldn’t even beat male pattern baldness so there’s no way they’re going to be able to beat us.

Episode 13
    Alexis: Maybe all the training he’s had has taught Wheeler how to speak human.
    …or maybe Jaden’s really a monkey.

Jaden: Ready or not, let’s duel!
    Wheeler the Dueling Monkey: Duel!
    Syrus: Whoa, it talks?!
    Head Scientist: Please! That would be COMPLETELY unrealistic. His helmet reads his mind and talks for him.

(Well of course, that only makes sense. Don’t you know anything about SCIENCE?)

Episode 19
    Dmitri pretending to be Yugi: Thank you Kuriboh, that move takes me back to our duel against Seto Kaiba at Battle City. Those were some good times, weren’t they old friend?
    Syrus: “Battle City?” This guy’s gone batty.
    Chumlee: Sy, just smile and nod, smile and nod.

Episode 20:
    Alexis: Wow, a cold, wet dock in the middle of the night. You sure haven’t forgotten how to show a girl a good time.
    (Alexis has this really awesome deadpan snarker thing going on that I had forgotten about)

Episode 27
    Gravekeeper’s Chief: You have the wisdom of dirt!

Episode 29
    Sheppard: You see, this academy was built in part to protect the Sacred Beast cards. They were buried deep underground, their power sealed safely away. After all, legend says if these cards ever see the light of day, terrible things will happen. Buildings will crumble, light will fade, souls will fall, our world will be no more.
    Jaden: So where are these cards? I say we take ‘em out for a spin!

Episode 38
    Admiral: Per chance a deal. We maroon this duel here and now and you come work for me for a thousand doubloons.
    Bastion: That’s over a million dollars!
    Alexis: That IS a lot of booty!
    Bastion: I beg your pardon?

Episode 39
    Banner: You see Alexis, since three of the seven Spirit Keys have already been taken by the Shadow Riders, and the fate of the world rests on protecting the remaining four, the academy thought it best to call in the police.
    (hilariously, this is false, as the “police” he was talking about was a bad guy in disguise)

Episode 44:
    Syrus: Right, I know, I love milk. But still…
    Banner: But still what Syrus? Just because it’s expired doesn’t mean it’s not delicious. Now grab a fork and enjoy yourself!

Episode 47
    Zane: I’m glad you’re okay.
    Alexis: “Okay??” I was taken hostage! By some clone of who I thought was our professor!
    Zane: Yeah but, things like that, aren’t really that rare around here are they.

Episode 54
    Chazz: You know, I used to be just like you. An elitist snob who looked down on everyone around me. But I've changed. Know how? Now I'm a snob who only looks down on some people. Anyway, there’s a lesson in there, I’m just not sure where.

Episode 55
    Jaden: Am I the only one here who hasn’t gone insane?

Episode 56
    Hassleberry about Alexis on Chazz’s proposed TV Show: Your show just got a whole lot better.

Syrus: Hassleberry’s right. Whenever things get tough, I start to doubt myself. I hear this voice in my head telling me to give up because I’m not good enough.
    Missy: You’re not good enough dork so just give up!
    Syrus: See, there it is.

Episode 60
    Chazz: We may be one man down, but we’re five men strong!
    ….Well, four men and a lovely lady.
    Alright, three men, a lady and Syrus!

Atticus: I named our band. We’re called Bro-Bro and Sissy!
    Hassleberry: So which one is he?

Episode 63
    Syrus: A mystery chef vs. a sergeant-wannabe.
    Alexis: Another typical day.

Episode 67
    Jaden: See, I went to outer space and I chilled with this dolphin-man. Then he gave me these totally rad cards for my deck.
    Bastion: Poor guy’s gone mad.
    Hassleberry: And I thought dueling a Spanish chef with a bag on his head was weird.

Episode 79
    Sereena: Nice try but [Dark Creator]’s indestructible.
    Jaden: Hold on! You’re saying it can’t be destroyed?
    Aster: Yeah that’s usually what people mean when they say indestructible.
    Jaden: So let me get this straight. If Dark Creator can’t be beat, how are we supposed to beat it?
    Aster: Jaden you might want to stop talking now.

Episode 81
    Jaden: I hope they cancel this show.

Episode 82
    Chazz: Then I play this - a spell card called Fronline Base. Now I can take any union monster from my hand and summon it to the field. As long as it’s Level 4 or below of course. So I play this guy - Beatron 2: Electric Boogaloo! Uh, what I meant was Beatle Turbo….

Episode 85
    Jaden: What is that?
    Syrus: Oh nothing - just your average everyday RAGING PILLAR OF FIRE!

Episode 102
    Hassleberry: Who’s the man?
    Syrus: Jaden! And who’s the evil psycho from outer space?
    Hassleberry and Syrus: Sartorius!
    Sartorius: Thank you.

Episode 103
    Sartorius: Stop your laughing!
    Jaden: Lighten up, this is what dueling’s all about bro; having a good time.
    Sartorius: Nonsense!
    Jaden: Hate to break it to you but it’s true. Not everyone duels for world domination and ultimate power. I gotta teach you about a little thing we humans call having fun. And let me tell ya, it sure beats being a maniacal nutjob. It’s true, if you’re not having a good time, well then, you don’t know what you’re missing.
    Sartorius: Enough!
    Jaden: I just wanna help. If you just chilled out you’d see that this world isn’t such a bad place.
    Aster: Uh Syrus, does he realize he’s reasoning with a psychopathic alien?
    Syrus: You know Jay, he loves giving this speech….

Episode 107
    Jaden: (about Jesse) This guy reminds me of me! …without the good looks, not to mention the winning personality. Now I switch Grand Mole to Defense Mode.
    Jesse: I’m afraid that you can’t do much else ‘cause Neos goes back to your deck. Looks like someone’s a little forgetful.
    Jaden: But I have personality….

Episode 115
    Jim: Falling down a 30 foot pit, nearly drowning, you’ve been through quite an ordeal.
    Alexis: Just another typical day around here.

Episode 127
    Echo: He was not born to serve - Adrian was born to rule! Courage, intelligent and honor, nobody has more; and nobody is more underappreciated. He has such value. Adrian can’t see but he, he should head the Gecko Financial Group. And then one day he can rule the entire world!
    Pegasus: Ooookay…I was kinda with you until that last bit.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

GX's dub is God Tier in terms of writing if not in terms of voice-acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkolas View Post

I've seen them all and enjoyed them all. Currently watching Arc-V as it airs. If anything, Zexal was my favorite, it grew on me a lot and eventually I just ended up loving every minute of it. Not sure how'd I rank the others, there really isn't that big of a gap between them for me. I'm sure Arc-V will end up being close with all of them.

Again, enjoyed them all. Yuma maybe. I enjoyed seeing his growth and his Kattobingu grew on me as well, and I just love his attitude to not lose faith in people no matter what. Again, they are all within the same range of me liking them.

Vector. This one I can actually say with certainty. He's basically all the things I like about villains rolled into one character. A lot of antagonists in Yugioh don't really stay antagonists, which I love since I love characters switching sides in whatever way it is, major or minor, usually minor in Yugioh but good enough for me.

I seen DM, GX, and 5D's in the dub first and enjoyed them, seen Zexal in Japanese first and enjoyed it. I've seen them in the opposite too, but each case was a matter of "This sounds weird", it grew on me in the end. Arc-V and Season 0 have no dub(Arc-V will though). Overall, I have no real preference. I am re-watching all the Yugioh episodes though(In Japanese), currently at like episode 60(Finished Season 0 though, and Arc-V is only at episode 10 now) for them all or something around there.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Favorite series? DM. 5D's satellite and dark signers arcs beat the entirety of DM, but after that it goes downhill. Overall, DM was just more consistent.

Favorite protagonist-abrisged Yugi :trollface: But seriously, Atem. Yusei's a close second.

Favorite villain-Dark signers. If they don't count, then either Tron for being one of the very few good things in Zexal or Yami Bakura for being an absolute psychopath...that doesn't suck.

You guys have any favorite voices for each show?

For example, I'm nearing the end of 5D's Season 2 and these are my favorites across the first three shows: (that were dubbed)

DM:
    Darren Dunstan as Pegasus
    Dan Green as Yugi/Atem
    Eric Stuart as Seto
    Jonathan Todd Ross as Marik
    Tara Sands as Mokuba
    Ted Lewis as Yami Bakura

GX:
    Maddie Blaustein as Sartorius (RIP)
    Scottie Ray as Zane
    Oliver Wyman as Aster
    Mathew Charles as Jaden (glad they got him back for Bonds Beyond Time)
    Marc Thompson as Dimitri as Dan Green as Atem
    Sean Schemmel as half the cast

5D's
    Oliver Wyman as Goodwin
    Marc Diraison as Kalin
    Sean Schemmel as that kooky scientist who works for Goodwin
    Last edited by Nikkolas; 25th June 2014 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Better View Post
    Favorite villain-Dark signers. If they don't count, then either Tron for being one of the very few good things in Zexal or Yami Bakura for being an absolute psychopath...that doesn't suck.
    I forgot about Tron. He was my favorite ZEXAL villain given his antics and personality. Vector was a close second though because of his trollish ways.

The english voices for GX ranged from tolerable (Jaden, chazz) to terrible (everyone else).

The voices for 5ds and Zexal are so bad I'm suprised anyone can bear watching the dub anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    The english voices for GX ranged from tolerable (Jaden, chazz) to terrible (everyone else).

The voices for 5ds and Zexal are so bad I'm suprised anyone can bear watching the dub anymore.
    This guy be insulting Eric stuart.

That being said, the "accent's" on the show were terrible.

Credit goes to Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric designs.

Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    This guy be insulting Eric stuart.

That being said, the "accent's" on the show were terrible.
    I don't know who he played as, and odds are he did a terrible job with whatever he voiced in said shows.

Chazz was a voice I overlooked but I would hold Sartorius and Zane as hands down the best voices in GX.

Also considering that 5D's reuses most of the cast of DM, and I assume Zexal is the same, it seems odd you'd swear off those dubs' voices.
    Last edited by Nikkolas; 26th June 2014 at 12:06 AM.

I like the dub voices.

Something I forgot to mention. Another thing I like about Yami Bakura is that he's the only yugioh villain who doesn't try to use a children's card game to destroy/conquer the world. Nor is it a reason for his being evil. Instead, he brings back an ancient evil god and he was pretty much bad from the beginning. The three times he does duel in the series, he's not even really concerned with the duel and is just using it to accomplish something else.

edit: Forgot about battle city.
    Last edited by Born Better; 26th June 2014 at 11:11 PM.