Page 58 of 111 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 2769

Thread: What manga series are you reading as of now?

I've been re-reading Fullmetal Alchemist, waiting for the next chapter to come out. I've also been re-reading Faeries' Landing, waiting for the last volume to come out, but who knows when that's gonna be. xD

And yes, I know 'Faeries' Landing' is a manwah but I'm still reading it.

Ooo, I'd heard of it before and thought it looked neat--mostly interested in seeing how the western seeting is handled--but didn't read it at the time. And then I forgot XD I guess I'll check it out.
    Oh, the setting is very nice. Has a kind of British sensability to it. Great attention to detail, too. If I didn't know better, I wouldn't guess that it was written by a Japanese woman. There are a couple of little things that are more Japanese, like how the maids say "excuse me," when leaving a room... but they may have done that in Britain, too. Anyway, it's especially amazing considering that Kaoru Mori has never even been to Britain. I was surprised when I read that.
    These are my fanfics. Read them. Or not, whatever.
    Pokemon Generations: Satsumi's Journey (Chapter 1 Now Up!)
    My Fanfiction.net Profile

This is my Tumblr. Read it if you are so inclined.
    The Philosophy of Shipping (shipdr.tumblr.com)

I have been vigorously reading One Piece, Bakugan, Death Note, One Piece, as well as Bleach and Fairy Tale to the side. I personally find Bakugan to be a cool new manga.
    Heyahowsitgoin
    Addmewhydontcha
    3DS (IGN: Luna): 3625-9695-2604

As of right now, I'm reading Fruits Basket...and on the internet, I'm reading one of the manga from The Legend of Zelda series :]

Bringing victory from battle as an elegant ruler... Eve, the Queen of the Nasods!

Trinity League's: Psychic Mistress | Resort Manager (Wi-fi UU) | (interim) Temple Shaman (Wi-fi Ubers)
    ---

Banner + Facility Badges: Sworn Metalhead | Espeon Badge: Northern Lights | Current Xat Avatar: EmiiLava | Rawr~ <3

I am following Naruto as usual, and also History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi.
    Trade site updated! Shaymin Special now on offer!

For Trades and Battles: IRVIN(Diamond) 0130-1373-3609
    For Other Trades: HINATA(Pearl) 4854 9591 9577

Event and Shiny Collector/Trader; Trainer, Breeder
    Pokeradar Shinies: x2 x1 x1 x1 x2 x1 x3
    CHECK OUT MY TRADE SITE: http://www.freewebs.com/jiangtradecenter/index.htm

I am reading Tail of the Moon - I am up to Vol 8. =D

I just caught up with Vinland Saga and now I'm gonna pick up where I left off on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

[bleep]

Quote Originally Posted by Hakajin View Post
    I read the first volume of Parasyte. This thing about humans having double standards about killing has been done to death in manga. I don't like that theme much to begin with for reasons I won't get into, but it's also just repetitve.
    Craziness. (About the repetition and it being done to death.) What other manga go into that theme, let alone as deep as Parasyte does? If anything, the series' detached viewpoint via Migi allows a greater examination of what truly makes a human, human.

Plus, it's practically the best manga being legally released in English right now. It's only drawback is the somewhat dated art, but even then Iwaaki is absolutely phenomenal at facial expressions and decompression. The story is incredibly organic with really convincing characters, the relationships and events never being overwrought (which is typical for this kind of sci-fi story).

Keep up with Emma, though. It gets more concise as the series goes on, and William and Emma get more than their fair share of development. I'd say that later volumes actually retrospectively improve the first few.

I read Berserk volume 25 and the first volume of Vertical's edition of Black Jack recently, and will give my thoughts on those later.

in the moment of ultra-light
    when the fire burns black
    & each & every second in the flame
    we divide & sub-divide &
    each time a cell splits off we
    become a new flesh - a new flesh
    a new self - a new self
    into infinity

Berserk is at volume 25 already (is Japan even at 33 yet?)? I never really liked the series after Casca and Guts' tearfest "omghartworming raephest!!111") and much less the stuff after the horse penis and Casca I'll Save You From Getting Labeled a Witch and Heretic but Magically Kept Alive for Five (234-page) Volumes. Then, babysitter Farnese now turned witch, and Guts Groupies being a generic drawn-to-the-main-character MaxHeart, a guy who's tied to a pyrophilliacal tramp that whips him dayly and is at an age where she barely changes look in three years (wouldn't that be before Guts even met Zodd, another kept-alive-forever character? How does that make any real sense?), his swrodsman-in-training follower who again makes no sense, Puck the NOTNOTNOT Funny Comic Relief attempt, and, yadda yadda yadda, the series went to hell and back, and hell'll freeze over seventeen years before Miura makes (barely) enough of the monthly deadlines per boring trash chapter on the damn boat while Guts looks at his armstump while even Azan joins in (and will likely be kept alive another sixty volumes).

Yeah, another jumble mumble rant, but you damn Americans can pull it off. Prize goes to the Elfhelm king if we live to see him make an appearance.
    Last edited by Shishioken; 29th September 2008 at 6:42 AM. Reason: apperence, wut?

Right now I'm reading

Kingdom heart: Chain of memories volume 1 and 2
    Fruits basket volume 3 and 4
    My fan fics
    Final Frontier: Hoenn style! Advanceshipping chapter fic

May/Haruka Club
    Banner made by Lil Crickee

Berserk 25 [Re-read] - Miura brings the elements he introduced in the previous volume into action; it's bloody glorious.

Narratively this is the first slow volume from the series in a while, but seeing the involvement of     Spoiler:
    really does justice to the scope of the mythos behind Berserk.

Black Jack 01 - Wow, this really is nutty, isn't it? Also no coincidence that the most batty story in here is both the longest and best. "U-18 Knew" is just completely off-the-wall.

Even when typical melodrama gets the best of him, such as the last chapter here, Tezuka's earnestness and convoluted ideas keeps everything very entertaining. Really gotta appreciate Vertical's work here.

Ping Pong 05 [END] - What an ending. I've never read such an involving sports manga (I promise I'll get around to Slam Dunk eventually). Taiyo Matsumoto just leaves you gripped from start to finish; chapter five is especially intense as ****.

Also like an ending that shoots for realism than pure idealism. Really satisfying epilogue.     Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Shishioken View Post
    Yeah, another jumble mumble rant, but you damn Americans can pull it off.
    Except some are more well-written and well-supported.

we divide & sub-divide &
    a new self - a new self
    into infinity

Wut @ Hellkorn the Takehikonut not having read SD.

I've not really been on a splurge reading manga or anything, so I haven't got much to contribute...

I wonder how the translation is going to be done in the next volume where the Berserker's armor is properly introduced though if I remember correctly? Last time they went the Furigana way in volume 22 they just phrased both as "slayers."

I really need to re-download all the raw Berserks soon, damn drive.

Berserk is at volume 25 already (is Japan even at 33 yet?)? I never really liked the series after Casca and Guts' tearfest "omghartworming raephest!!111") and much less the stuff after the horse penis and Casca I'll Save You From Getting Labeled a Witch and Heretic but Magically Kept Alive for Five (234-page) Volumes. Then, babysitter Farnese now turned witch, and Guts Groupies being a generic drawn-to-the-main-character MaxHeart, a guy who's tied to a pyrophilliacal tramp that whips him dayly and is at an age where she barely changes look in three years (wouldn't that be before Guts even met Zodd, another kept-alive-forever character? How does that make any real sense?), his swrodsman-in-training follower who again makes no sense, Puck the NOTNOTNOT Funny Comic Relief attempt, and, yadda yadda yadda, the series went to hell and back, and hell'll freeze over seventeen years before Miura makes (barely) enough of the monthly deadlines per boring trash chapter on the damn boat while Guts looks at his armstump while even Azan joins in (and will likely be kept alive another sixty volumes).

Yeah, another jumble mumble rant, but you damn Americans can pull it off. Prize goes to the Elfhelm king if we live to see him make an appearance.

I'm still going to remain to the series, even if post-eclipse isn't as well written compared to the Golden Age arc. That aside, I do fight the retribution arc pretty enjoyable. So much was going on and really driven the story to a further point.

I do agree with you that I find Farnese turning into a witch, and Guts now having a groupie kinda ruin the aspect of a lone mercenary on path of revenge.

Overall i like the whole mythology and universe behind Berserk so it's a keeper for me to read on even now.

Hellsing, Naruto, Bleach, Crimson Graver and High School of the Dead.
    Never gonna give you up!
    Never gonna let you down!

It's kinda confusing at times though, how one moment Casca's gone and then another she avoids the ghosts long enough that she found some caretaker, and then some other guys grab her, and after 200 boring pages Guts gets close but then some OMGIANTGOTE!11! dude intervenes, he loses her again but keeps the very kid who lost her to begin with (outta character much? He was going to beat the **** outta Rickert, his closest companion since his days as raider captain. Rickert for god's sake.), and then after cutting up cannon fodder after cannon fodder who serve to do nothing he finally saves her but ends up getting distracted from Griffith, AGAIN.

Then they have another go at the hill of swords and he again loses him when I could have just cannon'd Zodd before he transforms and then take all that pent up fury out on him all he wanted. It's not that I don't enjoy the fights; Guts vs. Mozgus and his goons has some of the most attention to detail that even this series has to give, and the sword-fight against Zodd was again one of the best fights since Guts vs. Wyald and the Doldorey fight, the 100 men, etc., but...

Is there any real point to all this Guts gets close to Griffith but passes out at the last minute stuff? Or the Elfhelm journey starting right where Griffith left Guts in the snow (22) and still nothing happening for 11 whole volumes? Miura's shown us that he can show some of the best battles and the most heartfelt emotion we can find in famous manga, and if he just exerted himself a bit more rather than be a lazy cop-out he could provide some more of that dynamic stuff going on from Guts meeting Griffith to the latter's "demise" and rise to the top. Sorry to have rambled on so long, but my English is again rusty and Miura's current neglection just doesn't feel all that neat like it used to.

I just finished collecting/reading The Cain Saga and Godchild(it's sequel)

and my favorite character died. v.v

So I'm currently reading Bleach.

Quote Originally Posted by HellKorn View Post
    Craziness. (About the repetition and it being done to death.) What other manga go into that theme, let alone as deep as Parasyte does? If anything, the series' detached viewpoint via Migi allows a greater examination of what truly makes a human, human.

Plus, it's practically the best manga being legally released in English right now. It's only drawback is the somewhat dated art, but even then Iwaaki is absolutely phenomenal at facial expressions and decompression. The story is incredibly organic with really convincing characters, the relationships and events never being overwrought (which is typical for this kind of sci-fi story).

Keep up with Emma, though. It gets more concise as the series goes on, and William and Emma get more than their fair share of development. I'd say that later volumes actually retrospectively improve the first few.

I read Berserk volume 25 and the first volume of Vertical's edition of Black Jack recently, and will give my thoughts on those later.
    I may have never seen it done that way, but I sure have seen similar things a lot. The thing is, Migi is looking at humanity as just another animal, albeit a highly intelligent animal. Why, then, would it not make sense to it that humans would want to preserve their own kind? It's an evolutionary survival trait. It would've made more sense to me if Migi had been confused about humans sympathizing with other species. After all, we're the only creatures who see moral implications in killing. Ironically, it's things like that that make us seem separate from nature, not our destruction of it. After all, other animals don't worry about the environment. And anyway, we can't really be separate from nature because we are nature. Even our buildings and highways are a part of nature, the same way a termite mound is. The problem is that the manga is saying that humans have become separated from nature, but we're only behaving naturally. When it comes to that sort of thing, I prefer X/1999. I really like the way it had two groups fighting for two different futures, neither of which was very desirable. There wasn't any good or bad between the two groups, just different values. Plus, other than the main character, the characterizations and relationships were really well done. Nice art, too. It only sucks that it's unfinished.

Anyway, I plan to keep up with Emma, though.

One Piece is all I'm reading right now.
    Cilan/Dento is my bishie! <3

I'm reading Naruto, shaman king, and full metal alchemist.
    Misfit_PM

I'm reading Cat Street. It's by the manga-ka of Hana Yori Dango, but, though I've never read that series, I have a feeling that this one is more mature. In a good way. It's about a girl, Keito who was a child actress, but she quit after an upsetting incident. Since then, she's been living like a hikikomori and hasn't attended school since elementary school. She does go out some, though, mostly to a nearby park. She meets the principle of a "free" school, which is for kids who have had problems adapting to school. It has a really relaxed atmosphere, and it's mostly independent study. Most of the kids there are really dedicated to what they're studying, though. A lot of them are studying for careers, and working on things not taught in regular high school. Keito soon makes some friends among these kids. I really like Keito. She's sympathetic, but she behaves realistically. It's not that she's ever mean... she just acts on emotions. The scene where she talks to her romantic rival was really nice. She wasn't cruel, but she wasn't nice, either... Well, you'd have to read it. It was touching, though. And now she's having to confront the girl who messed her up when she was young. Really nice art and story in this manga, too... and I love the romance! I thought there was no way it would go the way I wanted it to, but I think it will now. The guy I like her with has started to feature more and more prominantly in the story. It always makes me happy when love triangles unexpectedly go my way in manga. I didn't even think this guy was going to be part of the triangle, actually... but enough about that. It's a really cute manga, I wish someone would lisence it.

Damn, now I know what it's like for people to read my textblocks in English.. -_-

I've been following not too many manga 'til recently, except for Shigurui, an acquired taste actually...

About all I gotta contribute for now.

Wut @ Hellkorn the Takehikonut not having read SD.
    I love Vagabond, and Real is very good, but I'd hardly consider myself a fanatic of Inoue.

Quote Originally Posted by That Scary Clefairy View Post
    I'm still going to remain to the series, even if post-eclipse isn't as well written compared to the Golden Age arc.
    I don't get it.

I mean, Miura actually develops his world and characters, and somehow it's not as well-written?

I actually like that he doesn't have to rely on grit and gore anymore to get by the less interesting parts, and instead fills them up with actually mythology and world-building. Farnese starting the path to becoming a witch makes sense, and seeing Guts as a lone, angry swordsman for the rest of the series would be boring.

Again: I don't get it.

It's kinda confusing at times though, how one moment Casca's gone and then another she avoids the ghosts long enough that she found some caretaker,
    You're forgetting Casca's ghostly child, who likely protected her during her short time of wondering.

after 200 boring pages Guts gets close but then some OMGIANTGOTE!11! dude intervenes, he loses her again but keeps the very kid who lost her to begin with
    Huh? Are you confusing chronology here?

Then they have another go at the hill of swords and he again loses him when I could have just cannon'd Zodd before he transforms and then take all that pent up fury out on him all he wanted.
    If Zodd was that easily defeated than he still wouldn't be alive.

Is there any real point to all this Guts gets close to Griffith but passes out at the last minute stuff?
    Contrast of their conditions and directions: Griffith is as powerful as you can become, with his lifelong goal of leading his own country within his grasp; Guts is broken down and heading away from Griffith and his Band of Hawks in order to help and live with Casca. It also nicely segues Guts' recent effort to at last get onto a boat to Elfhiem into Griffith's last campaign before he truly unites and rules Midland.

Just give it some thoughts, guys; it's not that hard.

Or the Elfhelm journey starting right where Griffith left Guts in the snow (22) and still nothing happening for 11 whole volumes?
    Nothing happening for 11 volumes? Huh? That's just flat-out untrue, unless a person is only in it for the grit and gore.

we divide & sub-divide &
    a new self - a new self
    into infinity

I don't get it.

I mean, Miura actually develops his world and characters, and somehow it's not as well-written?

I actually like that he doesn't have to rely on grit and gore anymore to get by the less interesting parts, and instead fills them up with actually mythology and world-building. Farnese starting the path to becoming a witch makes sense, and seeing Guts as a lone, angry swordsman for the rest of the series would be boring.

Again: I don't get it.
    Maybe I used the wrong word there but after the retribution arc, Berserk didn't give me the grand excitement I had back from Black Swordman to Retribution arc.

Yes, the story after ward is still great and fascinating with the whole mythology and world concepts as you said, and I said earlier. But I just feel kinda disappointed with the whole Guts having a groupie thing. I like it when it was just Guts, Puck, and Casca. Honestly, what you think Ishidoro is for? Just another comic relief to go with Puck.

The gore and grit isn't problem to me whether it's there or not

I love Vagabond, and Real is very good, but I'd hardly consider myself a fanatic of Inoue.
    Well, perhaps that last bit was an overexaggeration, but looking through some of the conversations you two have had, such as in the Inoue-plagirism thread, you've repeatedly reiterated that you can see "how the guy is just so good," so I thought it wouldn't be that big a stretch to say that you're one of his bigger fans. Sorry if I didn't make that good a choice of words.

Quote Originally Posted by HK
    I don't get it.

Still though, him teaching Isidro how to freaking chuck sticks while Griffith is out there making a name for himself again, as we have the man just wandering around bein' all comfy inside some deep forest with a pyrophilliac schizophrenic loon and her brother with whom he's been constantly having bouts with (which end with absolutely nothing each time) but are all amiable all of a sudden...

Yeah, that and Shierke saving Guts' *** every time as Miura uses "ololitzreigningloltymetointerruptagratefitelolol! !11!!" to laze himself out of the awesome fights he's proven that he can deliver since Guts' meeting Griffth as early as in 20 volumes ago... >_>

When they set his sword on fire, but magically failed to hit the guy who couldn't even dodge the ginger's mini-bombs... that and the abuse of those elemental weapons we find in every contemporary manga, and the typical double-edge powerup crap that eats away at him and his conscience and will fight to take over (oh lord no, if this turns out like that awful shounen cliche B***ch... V_V) and have him turn into another SK and will have some relationship blooming between the pixiestick-wielding ****...

Those are basically my gripes with the way that the series is slowly unfolding and detiorating into, in a nutshell. When Shierke snuck into the armor and allowed him to briefly overcome all that I almost threw the book/computer out the window. It's enough that she saved him the last time when he fought that showoff apostle, but this...

You're forgetting Casca's ghostly child, who likely protected her during her short time of wondering.
    That still doesn't explain how the heck she could find her way into and survived on what little (badly malnourished) food she could find, or how she could avoid the rape-attempts Miura has thrown in (every second panel) since Guts fought the 100 mercenaries. Again though, how Luca could simply be unaware of the demonchild saving her butt every night until that scuffle with Nina... yeah, that somewhat throws the demonchild theory outta the window, but that isn't all I've got to say on that matter.

Huh? Are you confusing chronology here?
    No, I mean how Isidro lost Casca after Guts beat the goat-thing and was stuck at the cliff for an hour as he struggled against Serpicollo (who, might I add, was an unhealthy servant for Farnese but can magically hold his own against Guts, who can slay strong apostles with ease), and despite him being ****** as fuck over him losing Casca to the IronChain guys, didn't kill him when he's shown he hardly cares for the lives of even women and children (as shown in multiple occasions in the first few volumes), let alone those who failed him... yeah, that seems pretty outta character, and how the IronChian guy with the whip who tried to off some of Luca's girls, didn't shy himself out of facing Guts when he stated himself that he was one of the guys who saw him when he got captured (killing several men with ease in the process in spite of his heavy wounds)... that's again illogical to me, since Serpico, who is easily the strongest out of those knights, had to resort to means of either not allowing Guts to draw the sword at all or to hold him back from using it in full force. But all that's just me, and at least it's a bloody more reasonable than some of the crap that a girth of the mangaka these days throw at us.

If Zodd was that easily defeated than he still wouldn't be alive.

Nothing happening for 11 volumes? Huh? That's just flat-out untrue, unless a person is only in it for the grit and gore.
    Still though, Zodd is the only foe/apostle, besides the square-faced priest dude (and the foes that Guts fought before he received the cannon, such as Wyald) against whom Guts didn't have time to prepare the cannon and likely wasn't allowed to use it as Miura was saving the surprise for when he fights Gurunbeld and the other neo-hawks, to not get the cannon maneuver on his cheesy ***. I mean, a 300-year old swordsaint who appeared in volume 5 and has lasted almost 30 volumes (longer, if you consider that he was technically alive during the first three volumes even if Miura might not have conceived his character yet) and only serves as an excuse to keep Guts away from Griffith since he got the horn cut-off? I do like his design and his battles against Guts are actually pretty decent, but what backstory or emotional value does he have? He's essentially a plot-device that doesn't know how to meet his end.

Well, that's my 5-in-the-morning-raving-rant on current Berserk, now excuse me as I need to wash my face and get some breakfast after I skipped three meals.

Quote Originally Posted by That Scary Clefairy View Post
    Maybe I used the wrong word there but after the retribution arc, Berserk didn't give me the grand excitement I had back from Black Swordman to Retribution arc.

Yes, the story after ward is still great and fascinating with the whole mythology and world concepts as you said, and I said earlier. But I just feel kinda disappointed with the whole Guts having a groupie thing. I like it when it was just Guts, Puck, and Casca. Honestly, what you think Ishidoro is for? Just another comic relief to go with Puck.
    I. LOVE. YOU.

Damn, now I know what it's like for people to read my textblocks in English.. -_-
    Eh? Is it that bad? I guess I didn't really expect anyone to read the whole thing, anyway.

Finished the current chapters of Cat Street. Still good, though it got a little frustrating for a while. Someone said "You can't depend on others to make you happy." Thank you! I'm so sick of this business of characters trying to find fulfillment in each other. It just doesn't work that way.

Page 58 of 111 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast