Thread: Is Blast Burn worth it?

Default Is Blast Burn worth it?

Hiyo! I have two questions. First I should say that my Charizard knows Blast Burn, Flamethrower, Dragon Claw, and Fly. Both questions are mainly about it. The first question is, are the moves like Blast Burn and Blastoise's equivalent really better than Fire Blast and Hydro Pump? It would seem to me that Fire Blast would be better, since you have a little less attack power but don't have to worry about recharging. The second question is, is it a good idea to have a Pokemon know two moves of its type? I like to have something like Fire Blast and Flamethrower in one Pokemon, Flamethrower because of the higher accuracy and I don't have to worry about the PP. Then I use Fire Blast when I really need to. However, I've heard some people say that it is a waste and they should be given a move of another type for more versatility. What are your thoughts?

Neither Blast Burn or 2 moves of the same types are worth it. There are exceptions to the latter, however.

Blast burn sucks, you can do the same damage in two turns while blast burn leaves you vulnerable the next turn.
    My Team

Made by my good friend Charizard Champion#06
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Puberty is for the weak. I was born a man.
    LOL

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 3480 2939 6419
    Pm Me to add.
    PSN ID: CM-Matt

2 flamethrowers>1 blast burn>fire blast
    2 flamethrowers garantee more dmg than 1 blast burn,and no FIRE BLAST!It has a good chance of missing and has 5 ppl.......

Marluxia the level 5 Cherrim!

Yay for Marluxia

Quote Originally Posted by TogeticTheRuler View Post
    2 flamethrowers>1 blast burn>fire blast
    2 flamethrowers garantee more dmg than 1 blast burn,and no FIRE BLAST!It has a good chance of missing and has 5 ppl.......
    15% chance of missing is pretty low. That extra 25 power(37.5 with STAB) from Fire Blast helps alot.
    Last edited by Somebody; 10th August 2006 at 6:34 AM. Reason: .

As people have said, you can do more damage with two Flamethrowers than one Blast Burn (it's much like the "Return > Hyper Beam" argument). However, Fire Blast and Flamethrower both have their places. You'd give Flamethrower to something with a decent Special Attack stat or if it's a Fire type, whereas you'd give Fire Blast to something with a lower Special Attack stat to give it the extra punch.

1.Blast Burn and the others are never worth it.
    2. As much as you want to have a standard type attack and a strong same-type attack (It thought that way too once), there are better alternatives. that space fire blast was in could have been used for better uses, like Earthquake (maybe) if it waqs charizard or Thunderpunch if it was Typhlosion. Unless you're REALLY sure that pokemon can use one single attack type, most pokemon that attack are better off with one type of an attack move.
    "The Ugly Barnacle"
    Once, there was an ugly barnacle. He was so ugly everybody died (That means you).
    The End.

Blast Burn isn't worth it.It has to recharge on the second turn.I'd suggest you keep flamethower. You can replace blast burn for something else,like thunderpunch.
    Overheat is good when your using a physical sweeper.For example,a Blaziken with an Adamant nature.It's a better idea to give it overheat,because it's special attack is lower.It has physical attacks,so you don't have to worry about the special attack lost.Fire blast might be good on Arcanine. Blast burn is just terrible,don't use it.
    Just go with flamethower.
    current rank:Rising trainer
    Final rank:Pokemon champion
    Oh boy,I have a long way to go.
    Future DP team:

Quote Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
    15% chance of missing is pretty low. That extra 25 power(37.5 with STAB) from Fire Blast helps alot.
    No it doesn't. Only use 85% moves on Pokemon that either have Megahorn or Meteor Mash because they actually need the power. That is a 30-50 Power increase UNSTABBED. Beyond that, if you are using Fire Blast, you are probably using it to replace Overheat, and it is usually on a Physical sweeper. Arcanine is THE only Pokemon to even consider FB because it can not get out.

No on Blast Burn. It is not good at all.

Fire Blast is good on a Physical Flygon.

And I prefer Flamethrower over Blast Burn.

First thing, Blast Burn is never worth the price.

Second, that Charizard is a mess. Two moves of the same type is a no-no.

Nuff said. End of story.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Default Blast Burn

Is Blast Burn Worth it? YES!!!!!!!
    It is more acurate than Fire Blast.
    Disadvantiges: Rechargeing. Dosn't matter. Blast Burn Is a Finishing move not a basic Atack. YOU USE IT FOR FINISHING not DAMEDGEING!!!
    Anyone know where to make a TC similar to this, but with Riley as the trainer.

but flamethrower has better acurracy than fire blast so is most probably to get two flamethrowers in a round than fire blast and the blast burn have to recharge.
    now, 2 flamethrowers has a power of 190 and counting stab that flamethrower at least can be of 100 each one so that makes a that two are200 most than a blast burn

i think blast burn is only used in desesperate situations
    Ok... so i think these are my top 6 Pogeymanz:

no just no !!!!!!1
    My Pearl friend code and name.
    3823 5111 2827 - Ezra
    Feel free to add me.

PM me if you have a Celebi or Jirachi that you want to offer me.
    I have some cool PkMn's to offer included some Legendary's!

Uh, no. That would be like using a pokemon with both surf and hydro pump, YOU DON"T NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As for balast burn, don't use it, as the turn to recharge can be costly, allowing a free switch/attack. The ONLY pokemon that hyper beam could be worth using on is slaking, since it never attacks twice in a row anyway.
    The Latest Capture

28 / 20 / 26 / 30 / 30 / 31 Timid Southern Island Emerald Latios

FC: 3309 2165 3231

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Charizard View Post
    Hiyo! I have two questions. First I should say that my Charizard knows Blast Burn, Flamethrower, Dragon Claw, and Fly. Both questions are mainly about it. The first question is, are the moves like Blast Burn and Blastoise's equivalent really better than Fire Blast and Hydro Pump? It would seem to me that Fire Blast would be better, since you have a little less attack power but don't have to worry about recharging. The second question is, is it a good idea to have a Pokemon know two moves of its type? I like to have something like Fire Blast and Flamethrower in one Pokemon, Flamethrower because of the higher accuracy and I don't have to worry about the PP. Then I use Fire Blast when I really need to. However, I've heard some people say that it is a waste and they should be given a move of another type for more versatility. What are your thoughts?
    I never quite cared for competitive gameplay, I only use attacks that are sensible to a Pokemon, instead of teaching it useful moves that you really wouldn't ever see on the normal Pokemon. (Ex: Thunderbolt on a Charizard, Earthquake on a Blastoise, etc.) Yes, I EV train my Pokemon, I breed for high IVs, and I breed for select natures, but one thing I can't tolerate is sticking dumb moves on Pokemon that just don't make sense. It's just not me. I rarely venture out from using STAB attack set for Pokemon + Possibly Normal-Type Attacks + Rarely, a defensive or offensive helper (Ex: Safeguard). I rarely venture beyond making my movesets like this, and I usually stick a finisher move on my Pokemon. Exceptions to this are some Pokemon like my Muk with Shadow Punch bred with a Haunter.

Why I do this, hmm, 1. I know I will never fight in competitive tournaments, neither do I have interest in them or the time required to prepare a suitable team. 2. Knowing that I am NOT the best in the world, I'd rather have a good statted Pokemon with STAB attacks that help with it's type and against other Pokemon, which inevitably compliments my pokemon with STAB and EV stats needed. This is because knowing that enemy trainers RARELY if not EVER withdraw their Pokemon due to a type disadvantage.

To me it just doesn't make any sense at all in making 1 Pokemon a Kill-Any-Type sweeper. To me, knowing when to acknowledge a weakness and retreat if necessary is just as important as killing other Pokemon.

IMO, Blast Burn is a move that can only be learned by Charizard presently, so what sense would it make to me if that attack never earned a use...? In my style, I'd CERTAINLY put Blast Burn on Charizard, but depending on your likes, of what you want your Charizard to be is what's important.

In certain situations, it can be good. Like, If you only have one turn to win, Balst Burn is better than Flame/Blast. Otherwise, go with Flamethrower.
    4785-5873-5392

Earthquake ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleX View Post
    As people have said, you can do more damage with two Flamethrowers than one Blast Burn (it's much like the "Return > Hyper Beam" argument). However, Fire Blast and Flamethrower both have their places. You'd give Flamethrower to something with a decent Special Attack stat or if it's a Fire type, whereas you'd give Fire Blast to something with a lower Special Attack stat to give it the extra punch.
    There's your answer. Closed.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.