Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Encyclopaedic Pokemon!

Excellent idea. I joined just to post a reply... which is to make a reservation for wailmer/wailord.

PLEASE SAY YES!

I'll post it anyway- I'll remove it if you wish.
    Your free to create any article you ,like as long as its unreserved!

Nice article i really liked it, the addition of the protection organizations was a nice touch.
    Encyclopedia Pokemonia, a real world view on Pokemon. Compiled by the members of SPPf.

^^credit to ~.:Northern Lights:.~
    Newest article: Rotom

Groudon

Continent Pokemon

Ht:11'06''

Wt.2094.4 lbs.

Groudon(Lacertes Rex) Is native to the Hoenn Region. This pokemon is characterized in lacal legend by its massive size and agressive temper. It is said to have created the continents millnia ago, in a conflict with the Diety Kyogre. It fell into a deep slumber after the Diety Raquayza clamed the two's ecpic battle. This Pokemon has not been seen until a recent event in Hoenn, where it was unleashed again. Its diet most likley consists of Golbats, and other large continental Pokemon who stray to close. This behemoth has only two natural enemys, Raquayza and Kyogre.

Features: Groudon has the unique ability to amplify the suns rays in battle. Making Fire Moves vastly more effective. Groudons massive size shows how powerfull this Pokemon truley is. It can withstand even a full on artillerty barrage unscathed. Its hide is so thick, that x-ray imaging has yet to see its innards. It roars at a ridicolous 893 Decibels, 8 times louder than a jack hammer.

Its physical appearence suggests it is related vaugley to large Dragon type Pokemon, however, it is not believed that this Pokemon is a direct decendant of any know Dragon type. Its large fangs are over 1' in lenght, and are harder than any know substance. Its claws can tear apart concrete structures. Its tail remains one of its most interesting features. The tip of its braod tail is divided into four fork like segments, and three spikes of over 3 feet in lenght decorate either side of its tail. Its hide is a bright red, but the balck lines that criss-cross it shine brightly blue. This strange mix of colors leads many Pokemon Examinests to think that Kyogre and Groudon may be related.

Commanility: This Pokemon is extremley rare. Its gender is totaly unknown to modern science, and it is not know to have any parter pokemon. Its ferocious appearence and powerfull attcks have made it a coveted prize among trainers. It is highly suggested that Trainers stay away from this lumbering behemoth if sighted. It has killed a recorded 24 trainers trying to capture or photograph it.

Senses: This Pokemons senses, except for touch, are highly fine tuned. An examination of ancient fossilized remains of its ancestors suggests this Pokemon is intelligent enough to discern human speech. Its eyesight is impeccible, its pupils are so large, they can allow light in in any situation. Its sense of smell is by far its most attunned attribute. This Pokemon is capable of smelling prey at an astonishing range of 20 miles. It appears to have a sixth sense as well. New scince informs us that Groudon can sense vibrations made by struggling prey, or walking feet, through receptors on its chin, and feet. The vibrations are then trasmitted to the creature massive nerual cortex to be identified as movement.

Habitat:It appears to wander all over the continent, stopping to rest for massive amounts of time in highly remote location. Its last know laction was in the bowels of Mt. Chimney. It creates a drought whereever it is, and when it is angered it can bring drought to all regions of the continent.
    Fight Fire with Fire...

FOR THE GLORY OF GROUDON!

"They say the pen is mightier than the sword...so in a duel ill let you have the pen."

My Shinies:

Hmmm....im having trouble deciding whether to admit this article. On one hand its fine in its own right. On the other its written in a very no scientific way. It presents myth and legend as fact and is generally very unbelievable...if anyone still reads this let me know what you think...
    Encyclopedia Pokemonia, a real world view on Pokemon. Compiled by the members of SPPf.

I'd like to reserve Lapras, if that's okay.
        Spoiler:- Credit:

Lapras
    Hydron feranthro

Height: 2.5 m

Weight: 220.0 kg

Appearance: Lapras are aquatic Pokémon. They are enormous, and although they appear reptilian, they are mammals. Their bodies are a bright blue in color (the lighter the color, the warmer the climate it lives in). They have four flippers; the anterior flippers are larger and used for propulsion, while the posterior flippers are smaller and used for steering. A Lapras also has a small horn on its head that slowly extends in size as it grows older, only reaching about four inches. These horns are thought to be vestigial structures that ancestors possibly used for hunting prey or attracting mates. Lapras’ necks are extremely long and allow the Lapras to scan high above the ocean’s surface for disturbances. A Lapras’ most distinctive characteristic is its large shell, which is covered with knobs of varying sizes; it is used primarily for protection, but humankind has always used it as a seat when they ride on Lapras’ backs. These shells soft at birth, but harden with the calcium provided by a mother’s milk. Their shells reach their maximum defensive level once the baby ceases feeding from its mother, which is about three years after birth.

Diet: Lapras are carnivorous, generally hunting for fish below the surface of the water. Lapras have enough lung capacity to stay underwater for up to five minutes, and will consume up to a quarter of their body weight in fish. However, they do not need to eat daily due to their relaxed lifestyle. Lapras have two rows of tiny, sharp teeth that they will use to grasp fish tightly and swallow them whole; these teeth are useless for defense due to their small size.

Reproduction: Lapras mate for life and mating seasons begin in late March, ending in July. Gestation periods are thirteen months and only one young is birthed.

Social Nature: Thanks to Lapras’ enormous stature, they are able to frighten off predators without having to fight. This has given them a very relaxed, docile nature, and so they spend their days slowly swimming through the water in groups called pods. They are very social creatures and pods range from ten to twenty individuals. The pods are matriarchal, led by the eldest female and the generations following her. The eldest female’s mate serves as a second in command and is responsible for frightening off threats. The matriarch keeps the younger ones in line and leads the pod as they swim through the water. It is not unusual for Lapras pods to join together into groups called ‘clans.’ Lapras communicate through songs which have a sleep-inducing effect on some Pokémon and most humans. In recent years, Lapras use their now sorrowful songs to locate fellow members of their pod, which are slowly losing number. Lapras’ enormous shell are sought after as collector’s items and, along with their horns, are used in jewelry. Their gentle nature prevents them from fighting back as humans spear them or capture them and take them back to sell. Lapras hunting is now illegal, but their numbers still remain low as pollution and poaching take their toll (See Article 242, "Lapras Protection").

Notable Abilities: Lapras are capable of understanding human speech, and are one of the most intelligent Pokémon in the world, with an IQ to match that of humans. There have been several cases of telepathy or other psychic powers in Lapras; these abilities occur within 40-45% of a pod. They are perfect transportation Pokémon and many are used as aquatic taxis. Their intelligence and kind disposition make them particularly well-suited to the job. Lapras are also able to manipulate ice, often releasing it in deadly beams, but these abilities are only used when their lives are in danger, and even then rarely.
    Last edited by Tanookie; 13th May 2008 at 3:02 AM.
        Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by you View Post
    Hmmm....im having trouble deciding whether to admit this article. On one hand its fine in its own right. On the other its written in a very no scientific way. It presents myth and legend as fact and is generally very unbelievable...if anyone still reads this let me know what you think...
    That my freind...is the catch. Since Groudon is a Legandary Pokemon, nit much can possibly be know about it. With the exception of Mewtwo, almost next to nothing is known about Legandarys. Scientists have to take what they know to be the truth until they know more. This an example of that. Taking into consideration that Groudon is a legendary, I hope you will understand my point of veiw...

If not, I would love resrve this slot and take a bit more time on thsi Pokemon...You can see by my username that im obsessed with them...
    Fight Fire with Fire...

FOR THE GLORY OF GROUDON!

"They say the pen is mightier than the sword...so in a duel ill let you have the pen."

My Shinies:

Korachu is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

I noticed somebody did Nosepass, but not Probopass. May I reserve him? Or is he already taken?

That my freind...is the catch. Since Groudon is a Legandary Pokemon, nit much can possibly be know about it. With the exception of Mewtwo, almost next to nothing is known about Legandarys. Scientists have to take what they know to be the truth until they know more. This an example of that. Taking into consideration that Groudon is a legendary, I hope you will understand my point of veiw...

If not, I would love resrve this slot and take a bit more time on thsi Pokemon...You can see by my username that im obsessed with them...
    Yes but the concensus here is that legendaries are not one offs but simply rare Pokemon. Your article is simply not consistent with the rest of the legendary articles. Im not saying its a bad article. Its good in its own right but not for the Encyclopedia, consistancy is what we aim for here. Of course you can put mysteries in there, but saying its fangs are the hardest substance in the world is a bit unbelievable for a realistic article.

I noticed somebody did Nosepass, but not Probopass. May I reserve him? Or is he already taken?
    Go for it^^

Default Probopass article

Probopass

Name: Probopass
    Latin Name: Chalybs complector(Steel compass)

Probopass (Chalybs complector) is a Rock and Steel type pokemon that was recently discovered and found to be the evolved form of Nosepass.

Probopass has small and beady eyes, a large red hat-like magnet on its head, a primary magnet which appears to be a gigantic nose which has iron filings gathered around it in a “moustache”, and also three smaller magnets that are known as “mini-noses”.

It has only recently being discovered, yet plenty of research has been done and several mysteries involving Nosepass have been solved by it. Probopass, unlike Nosepass, is a much more active species, that hovers around using magnetism. Probopass feed on the iron filings caught by their gigantic primary magnet using their mouth, which is tiny in comparison to its enormous primary magnet and, since it is often hidden by filings, is scarcely seen.

Probopass, being magnetic are repulsed by each other in a similar fashion to Nosepass, making reproduction incredibly difficult. To counter this, Probopass have a unique reproduction method. They can detach their mini-noses to form a new Nosepass. This was found by scientists studying the Probopass inside Mount Coronet, who were previously baffled as to why the mini-noses had dormant yet fully developed organs exactly the same as the anatomy of Nosepass.

Since Probopass only evolve under radiation from Mount Coronet, and they are the only capable reproducers of their evolutionary chain, researchers are confused as to why several Nosepass live in close proximity to Dewford town in Hoenn, which is actually two regions south of Mount Coronet. The Nosepass seem to be surviving well. Perhaps in some deeper, unexplored area of Dewford Cave there is sufficient radiation for Nosepass to evolve, or perhaps these Nosepass have their own, unknown way of reproduction. This is one of the many mysteries surrounding these mysterious pokemon.

This pokemon is proof that there is still far more to learn about the world of pokemon. We know lots, but every second of life is learning. Thank you for reading about this strange and reclusive pokemon. Perhaps one day, we can use our knowledge to do good for the world of pokemon.

By Korachu

It was a nice article. A little short but since its for only half of a chain ill allow it. Thanks for contributing.

Okay, this time i'd like to reserve Snover and Abomasnow.

Sorry about my last article being a bit short, I couldn't really think of much else to put. This one is two solid pokemon so it should be alright. I'm going to start it now- just give the A-OK and i'll post it.

Of course, ill reserve it.

Abomasnow

Name: Abomasnow
    Latin name: Victusarbor tabesco

The Abomasnow (Victusarbor tabesco) is a species of Pokemon that lives exclusively between the northernmost/southernmost regions and the poles in the small amount of forested areas there (Save for the Snowpoint Abomasnow, which this article is about, but we will get to them later). Because there are so few forests around that area, Abomasnow are very hardy, tough and very vicious. They must move around a lot as forests die in the colder seasons, making them die quickly and rare as they need these forests to survive. Overall, they are very hard to study and see. In fact, they never are, because of their cousins.

The Snowpoint Abomasnow is exactly the same as ordinary Abomasnow anatomy wise, but other than that they are better in almost all ways. Years and years ago, during the end of the ice age, a small group of Abomasnow were separated from the others as the past Sinnoh region floated south, which was where they lived. Despite living away from their former habitat, they actually did better than their northern cousins. The northern section of Sinnoh where they live is rich in forests, making them healthier, and also less fierce than their northern cousins. Yet due to the cold blizzards of northern Sinnoh they are still hardy and tough. Because they are much easier to study, and are exactly the same as northern Abomasnow, these are researched the most. They are also popular with Trainers, because of their hardiness and fierce, intimidating look, and also collectors, as they are very exclusive Pokemon.

Abomasnow, as stated before, need trees to survive. They use the trees as food, ripping them out of the ground and eating them. Luckily for the forests, an Abomasnow won’t need to eat again for 3 months. Abomasnow are often used in festivals at Snowpoint City. On special occasions, Abomasnow are often decorated with lights and decorations and dance around the town. Abomosnow do this because, although they are very tough, hardy and look fierce, the Snowpoint Abomasnow is a kind being, and a great companion.

When it is time to mate, many Abomasnow gather at Lake Acuity, their breeding ground. The breeding session is actually the opposite of what one might think. A big, powerful pokemon would usually fight for mates. But Abomasnow are much calmer. The males attract a mate by decorating themselves with leaves, berries, even bright, attractive pokemon. The female will then choose which male she thinks looks the most decorative.

Abomasnow, despite being plant based pokemon, have animal qualities, and giving birth is one of them. A baby Snover will be born after 9 months of pregnancy. Snover haven’t the strength to lift trees so they rely on drinking the mother’s milk, another animal quality, specifically mammalian. They also feed on the berries that grow regularly around their waist. This trait wears off when they evolve into a fully-fledged Abomasnow, at which point they will leave their mother.

Recent reports have gone round of loud sounds coming from the peak of Mount Coronet. These cries sound exactly like normal Abomasnow, but much louder. Also, people have seen sightings of what appears to be a very large Abomosnow on the Mountain’s side. It has been noted that Abomosnow also live on Mount Coronet, but these are actually smaller than the Snowpoint Abomosnow, so to find a larger one up there is very strange. This creature has been dubbed several names, such as “The Abominable Abomasnow” or “The Bigroot”. Perhaps there really is a strange subspecies of Abomasnow up there. Only more research can tell us that. But what an extraordinary pokemon the Abomasnow is.

May I reserve the Oddish line? I will get on it, I just want to know if I have the a okay.

The bigroot!!! Great!! Nice article, I only noticed one minor thing:

A baby Snover will be born after 9 months of pregnancy.
    According to Pokemon cannon all Pokemon lay eggs, thus it should be represented here. Ill add it to the front page anyway...

cooler3o5: Yes you can..Remember to include Belossom

I like this sort of realistic PokéDex alot, though there's some questions regarding it.

As the Pokémon in the anime uses their name to communicate (Bulb, saur, bulbasaur and so on), how does this realistic point of view handle these speeches when it comes to evolution?

I mean, does a Charmander suddenly start saying Charmeleon as soon as it's a "fully grown Charmeleon", or when it starts its evolution, or do they perhaps use more animalistic sounds like growls, roars etc?

And a bit on the feedback bit, I noticed on Kakuna/Metapod stage you list a minimum of 6 months in their cacoon stages, but unless I'm all wrong I recall a pokedex entry (possibly only in the anime) where it states it takes an estimated 2 weeks for a Metapod/Kakuna to become a Butterfree/Beedrill.

is there any chance that someone would explain shiny pokemon?
    Is it genetic mutation or a rare carrier of genes?

Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

Guys, just to make it clear, this does not offer an actual, canon explanations and is not an actual encuclopedia. Most of what you read is created by the fans, so breeding habits or the reason for Shiny Pokémon will all be made-up. Don't take it as the absolute truth, because it's not; it's just interprutations.

Just thought that should be made clear.

~Psychic

Ok guys just giving some kind criticism. As Pokemon breed based on egg groups, not types, I am confused to everybody using type as a taxonic clade, as it is obvious that it has nothing to do with genetics and is more off a general description of its strengths and weaknesses as well as elemental attacking style. (As two dragon type Pokemon can't breed but a dragon type and a ground type can). But good idea with references evo lines as a species with individuals within the line as subspecies. Besides that everything is great although the dragon post is a little pseudo scientific. Obity could any one give me a list of every mutli egg group Pokemon with the egg groups they have?

Since there were eleven freaking posts, I've condensed them all into one and stuck them under a nice big spoiler so nobody will break their scrollers. Don't do it again.
    Also took out two quotes because this ended up being too long to fit into one post. LOL.

~Psychic

Spoiler:- Lots, and I do mean LOTS of quoting:
    Last edited by Psychic; 13th June 2008 at 6:23 AM.

This project isn't mean to be canon. That's the point. If it were just a canon summary, than there really wouldn't be any reason for this project to exist (does the world need a second Bulbapedia?). We, the writers, are imagining what pokemon could possibly be like if they were real creatures that actually existed. Taking some inspiration from canon, for sure, but not limiting ourselves to it.

It's just something that we do for fun, and to exercise our imaginations. I have no objection to the fact that you disagree with much of what we wrote - after all, the first post makes it clear the project is NOT intended to be canon, merely a creative project - but please, from now on, can you make your objections in a single post? The fact that you're quoting most every article and making double post after double post is a little bit obnoxious - a single post making your point would have been sufficient. Stop beating this dead horse - the project isn't supposed to be canon, and it's hardly even active anymore, anyway. ^^' And I'm sorry if you have such a problem with me when you don't even know me - I just enjoy imagining what pokemon would be like as real creatures. You are under no requirement to agree with me, but I would appreciate it if you'd cut it out with the derisive comments, such as your repeated "glares in my direction." This isn't worth getting wound up about, you know?
    ~Fanfics~
    Please don't friend me if I have no idea who you are.
    Since we can't claim Pokémon in the Bishie thread anymore....I claimed the lovely Ranger Solana instead. All mine!
    My Pokémon claim is Minun...Plusle's better, but Minun is still cute! XD

Well, good job ignoring the me and the Rules again; now you're banned. Smart. And now I'm merging your posts into one to keep down the eyesore. Because of the big quotes it is once again going under a spoiler. Good job.

~Psychic

Spoiler:- More lots of quoting:

Can I reeserve Lefaeon and Galciaon(sorry if reseved) if not then how 'bout tehe rest of teh aproicrn theoy and possibly pokemon breeding styl;es and facts? and I would still gretly apreciate that list.
    Last edited by Psychic; 14th June 2008 at 5:37 AM.

Wow im gone a week and I miss all the drama.

Yeah as stated this is a purely fictional project. Its all the authors own interpretations. You dont have to agree but you should also respect other peoples work. But yeah this has been said already.

If you wish to have something here that explains "shinies" or Pokemon speech you are free to write any article. You dont have to be restricted by whats on the front page. Write about anything you like.

This thread is good but it is lacking one thing ,order, people can make Pokemon “magical” (Groudon) make them not nearly as enigmas (Mew) give them odd local (Plusle and Minum) and even use real world genera and base there article on that (which is an obvious mistake) (example: All of Pink Parka ‘s articles) . We don’t have any rules thus we get no stable “canon’ and by "canon” i mean what is and isn’t acceptable if we do not recognize canon, which parts? Some say legendary Pokemon have great power others say they are just rare some veer as far as to saying that there are multiple legendaries in captivity .(the Three Beast Articles ). We don’t know if the anime or the game is canon (see Castform[which needs to be updated by the way]) and we don’t recognize egg groups ( as we have Charizard eating a potential mate , a Venasuar) we have right out denied factual statements from NoA( see Pikachu) with out even saying what is fact and what isn’t. I don't think you should blame Groudon for being “unrealistic" when we haven’t even defined what “realistic “is we should at least lay down some guide lines such as

• Can “magic” exist or not or can we have a scientifically explained version or some combination of the three (contradiction with the Arceus article and Groudon article)
    • Do ghost Pokemon have no abilities and are myths or is there a scientific explanation for there “supernatural" powers. (contridiction with the ghost Pokemon article and the Genegar article
    • Do Pokemon evolve by trade or do we retcon it out of our existence (contradictions Steelix and Golem)
    • What ‘Genera’ do we use and how does this effect breeding (contradiction Jynx and Pulse/Minum)
    • Do poke balls a, gyms and the like even exist here
    • What is our real "barrier" as in when are we stepping the line into impossibility and thus must break canon in order to stay plausible Ocaam's razor aside.
    • Do we have a “as close as you get policy” were you come as close to canon as possible while still staying realistic
    • And what of evolution? it has been stated as being anything from a gradual process to coming out of a cocoon(not a pre evo like Metapod), to some weird life cycle thing (Budew)
    You must answer these questions in order for us to have some semblance of order

You shoul also update the Jappanese names since Diamond and Pearl came out it's a little weird to click "Shinx" and get "Korinku".

EDIT: and I could really use that list of multi-egg group pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Parka Girl View Post
    This project isn't mean to be canon. That's the point. If it were just a canon summary, than there really wouldn't be any reason for this project to exist (does the world need a second Bulbapedia?). We, the writers, are imagining what pokemon could possibly be like if they were real creatures that actually existed. Taking some inspiration from canon, for sure, but not limiting ourselves to it.

It's just something that we do for fun, and to exercise our imaginations. I have no objection to the fact that you disagree with much of what we wrote - after all, the first post makes it clear the project is NOT intended to be canon, merely a creative project - but please, from now on, can you make your objections in a single post? The fact that you're quoting most every article and making double post after double post is a little bit obnoxious - a single post making your point would have been sufficient. Stop beating this dead horse - the project isn't supposed to be canon, and it's hardly even active anymore, anyway. ^^' And I'm sorry if you have such a problem with me when you don't even know me - I just enjoy imagining what pokemon would be like as real creatures. You are under no requirement to agree with me, but I would appreciate it if you'd cut it out with the derisive comments, such as your repeated "glares in my direction." This isn't worth getting wound up about, you know?
    Yeah your right PP it’s just that if were gonna explain things with science we can’t ignore details so they are easier to explain. (The-editing-room.com has started doing this with its mockeries). But seriously you EXTREMELY mortalize Pokemon, and you reference Pokemon as "Californian" when so far we only know about Japan, you say there are 20 species (a detail yet to be explained) and you use REAL WORLD GENERA which not only makes no sense as Pokemon wouldn’t fit any where near them, but you define there attributes based on there "genus" for example you call Pikachu an omnivore base don the fact you think it is an schizi whatever (sorry but I have memory problems). you also say that Pachurisu is the genetically the most similar to Pikachu when in fact you could say the same thing for any Pokemon in it's egg group (ok that last one was a stretch). You also, instead of scientifically explaining the god powers of certain Pokemon, take the easy way out and write them off as swamp gas and fairy tales. If i can base an entire culture/trading card game/ science around a hypothetical way for magic to exist I think you can explain ONE- obviously not a euphene- Pokemon.
    Obity - have a nice day.

But still my hostility towards you is probably unjustified…. Wait. What I am saying? You turned God into a horse my hostility is totally justifiable.
    Last edited by SporeGames; 21st June 2008 at 4:14 AM.

Does it really matter in the end if the articles are uniform or not? I mean, yeah it would be nice if every article was, but then that would mean that everyone would have to write in a style that they are not comfortable with. I follow one format, PPG follows another, doesn't make it wrong either way.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Yeah but it makes inconsitancy so it's not one elcyopedia but 493 pages.

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast