Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Encyclopaedic Pokemon!

SHINY POKEMON

In the world of Pokemon there are a few examples of very species who posses an odd coloration. These Pokemon, due to there luminescent reaction to being released from a Poke ball and the glow that surrounds there signal on a poke radar, all called shiny Pokemon. There is a one in eight-thousand one hundred ninety one chance of this happening. This is the result of a scarce gene in the z chromosome (see dragonflycaves.com) which alters the chemical structure of the polyphylic chemical present in all pokémon, pokémelanin. Pokemon like these are considered collectors items and trainer have been known to gain an almost Moby dick like obsession with them. The Pokemon fetch a high price on the black market and are incredibly valuable as aides, especially on the popular prime time television show, To Catch a Pokémon Hunter .
    That self replicating nano machines capable of free will and advanced computing beyond anything we could create spontaneously developed with out the intervention of a sapient body of any kind...yeah that makes sense

Uh, I saw that Tangela/Tangrowth aren't reserved, so can I reserve them? Tangrowth is awesome, and I want to write something about him. Thanks,

Jack

Please can I reserve Rayquaza? Its a really awesome Pokemon and I think I can write a good article for it.
    [CENTER]

Credit for the banner goes to Kamotz

I'd like to reserve the Rock type if no ones taken it.
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    Watch your step! Sig Under Construction!

Quote Originally Posted by SporeGames View Post
    SHINY POKEMON

In the world of Pokemon there are a few examples of very species who posses an odd coloration. These Pokemon, due to there luminescent reaction to being released from a Poke ball and the glow that surrounds there signal on a poke radar, all called shiny Pokemon. There is a one in eight-thousand one hundred ninety one chance of this happening. This is the result of a scarce gene in the z chromosome (see dragonflycaves.com) which alters the chemical structure of the polyphylic chemical present in all pokémon, pokémelanin. Pokemon like these are considered collectors items and trainer have been known to gain an almost Moby dick like obsession with them. The Pokemon fetch a high price on the black market and are incredibly valuable as aides, especially on the popular prime time television show, To Catch a Pokémon Hunter .
    Not nearly long or detailed enough. A huge topic like this should not be able to be summarized in one measly paragraph.

First, you should provide a scientific for this phenomenon, as I'm sure scientists don't call these mutations "the shiny gene" or whatever. Then the very first thing you should either be giving a history, such as the first known Shiny Pokémon captured, or explaining how this discolouration happens. Do not tell us to go look at another site for an explanation, especially if you don’t even tell us what we're looking for or what the heck you're referencing. Explain the makeup of gene in the z chromosome, how it's passed down (is it a mutation that randomly pops up, or is it a recessive gene?), at what point in the Pokémon development their genetic makeup is affected, if anything other than their colour is affected (such as stats or intellect) and what species or genders may be more or less likely to be born Shiny. You can only go on about Shinies in actual culture after you've described in full detail the actual biological process, and even then encyclopaedias don’t really do that, making it look unprofessional. Only after this should you be talking about how the slang term got its name, and explain exactly how this gene affects Pokéballs and Pokéradar. Remember to use actual paragraphing.

Also, it should be "Moby Dick-like," even though you shouldn't make a reference to Moby Dick in an encyclopaedia from the Pokémon world where the book probably doesn't exist since there are no whales. Explain what the heck an "aide" is and if you're going to reference pop culture, you should be explaining what the heck it IS; instead of saying "Matthew Perry was on Friends," you say "the actor, Matthew Perry, played the role of Chandler Bing from the comedy sitcom Friends by Warner Brother Productions for ten seasons." Don't bring something up if you're not going to explain it in detail.

Honestly, considering how much you've been criticising other entries, the one you yourself wrote was obviously rushed, and is of rather poor quality. Heck, your grammar wasn’t even proper half the time. Just because not everyone may understand the terms you use doesn't mean you can get away with shoddy work.

This attempt was poor at best. If you're going to bother entering something here to prove that what you say has some worth, it should at least be good. I hardly see why the criticism of a person who can't even make a proper entry should be listened to. :/

~Psychic
    Last edited by Psychic; 6th September 2008 at 6:47 PM.

Pokéthon was a huge success! Check out our Facebook page for photos from the event!

sorry for this apparently spam like post but it has to be done...

"the actor, Luke Perry, played the role of Chandler Bing from the comedy sitcom Friends by Warner Brother Productions for ten seasons."
    That was Matthew Perry. Luke Perry was in Beverly Hills 90210 if I'm not mistaken. They have the same second name so I suppose it's easy to mistake them.

To make this post on-topic I also agree that the shiny pokemon entry you wrote, which in my eyes deserves a large and widely described section about it, wasn't very informative at all. To summarise. "It's all to do with genes, you got me." Meh, standard if you ask me.
    Skogsrĺ

Gardenia never liked the Old Chateau, but what if the Old Chateau liked her?

Author's Profile

Ok. My first entry. Criticism is welcomed as I find it helpful.

Rock Type Pokemon

Pokemon of the Rock type are generally very hardy creatures that can survive in some of the most barren landscapes on Earth. Their tough exterior protects them from most unfocused physical attacks and allows them to live in extremely rough terrain such as mountains or deserts. Most Rock types dislike water causing them to seek dryer places to live.

The Rock type contains two main subgroups: Solid and Shelled. Solid Rock types have bodies that are almost entirely composed of stone, or a stone-like substance. These are the hardiest of the Rock types since they don’t have any vulnerable soft spots. Even the internal organs of Solid Rock types are coated in organic stone. However, because of this solid structure, they are more susceptible to cracking or breaking parts of their body from focused attacks. Solid Rock types can repair any minor damage they receive by simply eating rocks with a similar mineral content as their body, allowing them to regenerate lost parts or limbs. Solid Rock types rarely or never need to eat food, gaining most of their nutrients from ingesting rocks, or other sources. Some even lack mouths completely.

Shelled Rock types have either a thick rock-like shell or tough stone-like skin. Because Shelled Rock types are soft on the inside, they are not as susceptible to breaking as Solid Rock types, but their hard shell or skin can still sustain damage from focused attacks. Most Shelled Rock types dislike the water, but some don’t mind it and there are even some who spend their entire lives in water. Shelled Rock types are more animal like than Solid Rock types, and need to eat on a regular basis to survive. However, some Shelled Rock types also ingest rocks or ores in order to strengthen their defenses.

Below is a list of all Rock types currently known and the subgroups to which they belong:

Solid:
    Geodude / Graveler
    Onix
    Bonsly / Sudowoodo
    Corsola
    Nosepass / Probopass
    Lunatone
    Solrock
    Regirock

Shelled:
    Golem
    Rhyhorn / Rhydon / Rhyperior
    Omanyte / Omastar
    Kabuto / Kabutops
    Aerodactyl
    Shuckle
    Magcargo
    Larvitar / Pupitar / Tyranitar
    Aron / Lairon / Aggron
    Lileep / Cradily
    Anorith / Armaldo
    Relicanth
    Cranidos / Rampardos
    Shieldon / Bastiodon
    Arceus (Stone Plate)
    Last edited by TheSequelReturns; 29th September 2008 at 9:12 PM.

Sorry I have been away for a bit so I havent been here for a while. Everyones reservations are accepted.

And Psychic made some great points, the article was far too short, and well he summed up my feelings pretty well there...

The Rock article was good, the only gripe I have is that it clashes slightly with the steel article that states that aggron is a external steel type, so how it can have a rock shell is a bit meh to me as it even looks like it has a metal shell. Its only minor though.

The Chimecho article was really good and i especially liked the addition of a journal entry. Its something ive never considered before...

I wont comment on the rest right now as I need to check which need to be added...
    Encyclopedia Pokemonia, a real world view on Pokemon. Compiled by the members of SPPf.

^^credit to ~.:Northern Lights:.~
    Newest article: Rotom

Quote Originally Posted by you View Post
    The Rock article was good, the only gripe I have is that it clashes slightly with the steel article that states that aggron is a external steel type, so how it can have a rock shell is a bit meh to me as it even looks like it has a metal shell. Its only minor though.
    I can see how that may have caused some confusion. But the being in the "Shelled" sub-group just means that they have a hard rock coating with soft tissues inside. So in Aggron's case, he has both rock and steel on the outside. Hope that helped.

I’ve done the Rayquaza article.

Rayquaza (Draco Skylenius)
    Height: 23’00
    Weight: 455.2 lbs

Rayquaza is a large serpentine pokemon. Its body is mostly emerald green, but the edge of its mouth, the sides of its tail and the edges of its fins are red. It also has strange yellow markings on it, similar to the marks on Groudon and Kyogre. It has two sets of fins on its body. Each fin is like a rectangle with rounded corners and each set of fins forms a cross. Each set of fins is mounted on a raised area of Rayquaza’s skin. Its tail has four wedge shaped fins on it. The purpose of these fins is unknown, but it is believed that they help Rayquaza to sense air currents. Near its head it has a sort of body armor. Its arms extend from the body armor, which is believed to have evolved to protect Rayquaza’s heart. On the back of the armor is a shield shaped plate of bone which also protects Rayquaza’s heart.

Scientists do not know how Rayquaza flies, but it is theorized that like several other so-called legendary pokemon Rayquaza utilizes a form of telekinesis to levitate. Examples of pokemon that could be users of this strange power are Giratina, Dialga and Palkia.

Diet:
    Rayquaza mainly feeds on flying pokemon such as Altaria, Charizard and Salamence. However, if prey gets scarce for some reason it will descend to the ground and eat as much as it can to prevent itself from starving. This state is when the majority of Rayquaza sightings take place.

Mating:
    Due to Rayquaza’s solitude in the ozone layer scientists are unsure if it actually reproduces. Many people believe that Rayquaza is immortal, but this is mainly due to it being considered a legendary pokemon.

Habitat:
    Rayquaza live in the ozone layer and rarely descend to earth. This means that very few people have seen them, and most of the expeditions that try to see them never return.
    [CENTER]

Credit for the banner goes to Kamotz

Its good but slightly too short I think. Add a bit more content to it, maybe a paragraph or two...
    Encyclopedia Pokemonia, a real world view on Pokemon. Compiled by the members of SPPf.

Hang on! I was the one who did the journal idea first! Have you looked at my article yet?

Pokemon Pearl Team
    And I am to be getting PLATINUM.
    Yus, I also have PMD2 TIME expedition. my team are all level one hundred.

Oh, could I reserve the Exploud line too, please?

Pokemon Pearl Team

I'm pretty sure that I got the idea from Pink Parka Girl (one of the first articles mind you, which I'm sure was posted before august this year.), not that I blatantly stole the format, kind of a subconscious grab from one of her articles.

Plus it made it look better and more professional, unless you patented the whole 'journal' thing then I'm pretty sure I can use the idea and twist it into my way of doing it. One more thing..

The Chimecho article was really good and i especially liked the addition of a journal entry. Its something ive never considered before...
    Never was it stated that it was my idea, (s)he only said that they hadn't considered the idea before.
    Skogsrĺ

Gardenia never liked the Old Chateau, but what if the Old Chateau liked her?

Author's Profile

I wasn't upset at you using the idea, it was just I used the journal idea beforehand and was a bit upset for not getting the credit. Doesn't matter though, if Pink Parka Girl did it first anyway. I'm pretty sure he did intend to say the comment to you, though.

Exploud article is coming along niceley, it'll be done before long.

Pokemon Pearl Team

Yeah it was my mistake because i read the articles from the newest to the oldest so I wrote that before I got to yours. My bad. But yeah I didnt remember PPG did that in some articles. Its been so long since she wrote any...

Can I reserve Rotom please?

Of course^^

I hate this unnessesary posting. If you want to reserve poke by all means ask. But if its free you dont need to wait for my permission to post it...

This time I’m doing something a bit different, that is that while they can still evolve into one another, I’m considering the three separate species, with all three having young, adolescent and mature stages and the ability to breed.

Whismur, Loudred, and Exploud

Whismur: Sonitus barba(Noise whisper)
    Loudred: Sonitus formido (Noise dread)
    Exploud: Sonitus praemium (Noise explode)

Whismur

The Whismur (Sonitus barba) is part of the Sonitus categorical group, and is the smallest, commonest and least powerful of its three members. It is a vaguely spherical pink creature, with two stubby hands and two pill-shaped feet with yellow tips. It has long “Ears” remiscent of a Buneary with yellow tips that are often rested on the Pokemon’s head, both covering up two circular holes that serve as the proper ears. The long ear-like limbs actually serve as plugs for it’s earholes (More on that later). It has two + shaped eyes specially designed for dark areas, and a stubby tail with a hole at the end of it, and a bracket-shaped line bending upwards on it’s back, resembling a small sound wave.

Whismur live in caves and rarely venture from them, but if you are in the right place they are extremely common. They are solitary in general but live in very loose packs for protection. They often mumble to themselves in a quiet, nasal voice, and use their long earplugs to dig into soft ground in attempts to find mushrooms and truffles to eat. Otherwise, they don’t really do much apart from totter about aimlessly. They occasionally leave their caves to hunt for berries, but they have predators outside the cave so they don’t spend too long.

If it is attacked by a Pokemon, It will utilise its ability: screaming very loudly. This ability evolved due to Zubat and Golbat attackers. It causes extreme pain for the Pokemon’s sensitive ears and the Whismur will usually be left be. The Whismur’s ears are used to inhale so it can cry endlessly, and often will get scared by their crying and go on for hours after the enemy has left. It will only stop when their plugs somehow cover their ears to stop their inhaling, whereupon they will, exhausted, go to sleep. Whismur are also scared very easily, and when this happens they will start to cry as if they were being attacked, and again will get scared by their own crying and cry even louder. Because of Whismur’s abilities, the caves they live in have been emptied of life over the years so that they remain as the only wildlife there. The loudest recorded screams of a Whismur was louder than a jet aeroplane, so it was probably a good idea for the Pokemon to do so.

Loudred

The Loudred (Sonitus formido) Is the most solitary of the Sonitus group. It has a purple, box-shaped body with small two-clawed feet and humanoid arms. A pair of beady white eyes and a pudgy nose on its face are squashed upwards by a humongous square mouth with four peg teeth and yellow lips. On its back is the same tail as Whismur and a sound wave pattern going upwards, and two loudspeaker-like ears protrude from its head.

Upon evolving from Whismur, Loudred leave their caves to travel around the mountain areas nearby in complete solitariness, wandering around and bellowing to ensure knowledge of it’s presence to nearby Pokemon. They are much more active than Whismur and has more control over it’s power, but they are extremely irritable and easily angered, and quite often rather stupid. Speaking of their ability, it is much more powerful, with the ability to demolish a wooden house and tip over a truck. They build up this power by stamping their feet. They eat berries, but in an odd fashion: They gather several berries in a pile, pick them up and pour them into its gargantuan mouth. It is a vegetarian Pokemon, and for good reason. It can only eat berries because its four teeth are not sufficient enough to chew food, so it can only eat what will fit down its throat. They have no predators because nothing dares to approach it for the severe racket it makes.

Loudred roars so loud that after an outburst, it cannot hear anything for several minutes. This is considered it’s weakness in battle because they are too powerful to be approached when seen, but even if you go behind it it’s acute hearing can detect you. Without hearing, it is quite vulnerable. Loudred is also fairly slow because of it’s small feet and lack of legs, but it’s arms are quick and powerful. They also tire quite easily from their activity and shouting, and tend to sleep in nearby caves. Luckily for people, Loudred rarely come down from their mountaintop homes, but they still cause avalanches in snowy areas and various other incidents that affect people living around and below it.

Exploud

The final member of the Sonitus family is the Exploud (Sonitus praemium), the most powerful, social and rarest of the species. An angry Exploud can be heard from over two miles away and they leave a trail of blasted wreckage in their paths. Like Loudred, Exploud make their homes in mountaintops, but unlike Loudred, upon evolving they will travel to a particular spot, usually a mountain peak or summit, where the local Exploud live and settle there. They prefer company rather than the lonely existence that Loudred and to a slightly less extent Whismur live by, and communicate using high whistles.

An Exploud is a purple, hunched over creature with small, reptilian feet and humanoid arms that are usually clenched. They have a similar mouth to Loudred, but their eyes have turned red and are more vicious-looking. An array of what look like organ pipes protrude from it’s head, and two long tails emerge from it’s backside, each having a massive hole at the end. Two similar holes emerge from it’s knees. The ends of the “Organ pipes” are tipped with yellow.

Exploud are better at eating than Loudred because their teeth are more developed and they can close their mouths properly. They eat berries just like the other members of the group, but need vast quantities to fill them up. Like Loudred, they keep to themselves most of the time, but an Exploud rampaging in a local village is not entirely uncommon. As Exploud have more control over their anger than Loudred despite their appearance, these rampages are likely caused by losing a family member, furthering the truth of the fact that Exploud value their group and need company.

Breeding

This section was not conjoined to the separate Pokemon because their breeding methods are all very similar. During the winter, all members of the Sonitus group, Whismur, Loudred and Exploud alike, will emerge from their lonely confinements and travel south to the breeding grounds. While the sound of the herd is told as absolutely unbearable by observers, a good pair of earmuffs will allow you to view the spectacular view and clever arrangements, with Exploud travelling on the perimeter, Loudred just inside and all the children and Whismur protected in the middle.

When the Pokemon reach the spawning fields, the species shall separate, and mate. The actual mating is the loudest thing known to man as the choosing is of which male can yell the loudest. Once mating is over, the species shall stay for the females to give birth to baby Whismur, and then the group shall travel back north to the richer feeding grounds, and back to their dens. The Loudred and Exploud will travel back up to the mountains and the newborn Whismur and original venture back into the caves. The children are independent of their parents but are still watched over by the other Whismur to make sure they aren’t hurting themselves, as they are naďve and inexperienced.

Pokemon Pearl Team

Non-fiction pokemon? Sounds fun. I'm gonna start Dialga and Palkia. Please?
    I claimed Primal Dialga! He rox! w00t!
    And I claimed the Arbiter from Halo. Cause he's a freaky alien that has a sword, that's why.

Ok, it took a while, but here's my entry on Rotom.

I'd also like to reserve Spiritomb (and Sabyleye if I can reserve 2. What can I say, I like Ghosts.)

Rotom - (Phasmatis fulmineus)
    Avg. Height – 11.8 in. (0.3m)
    Avg. Weight – 0.7 lb. (0.3 kg)
    Lifespan – Unknown
    Typing – Ghost / Electric

Phasmatis fulmineus (lit. “Ghost of lightning”), commonly known as Rotom, are small “Ghost” types that were only recently discovered. Most Rotom look the same, with a luminous orange body consisting of a small head like shape with a large "spike" on top, interesting eyes with blue pupils, and lightning shaped tendrils of blue plasma that serve as Rotom’s arms. Some Rotom have been reported to have a bright pink body and bright eyes, with orange energy tendrils. Rotom can freely control these tendrils, and can even change their temperature, allowing Rotom to grab and manipulate a large variety of objects. Rotom move by emitting bursts of energy from the small organ on the bottom of thier body. This causes them to move about in a fast zig-zag pattern. Their body is composed of plasma that is very similar to electricity. This not only gives them the “phasing” ability common to other “Ghost” types, but it also allows them to easily manipulate electricity. In addition, they are able to convert their bodies into pure energy and actually enter electrical wires and devices. When inside a device, Rotom have complete control over it, and often use this power to for everything from messing with peoples TV’s to crashing the hard drives of computers. Some devices have a structure that allows Rotom to completely take-over the device, even changing the outward appearance of the device to look like Rotom’s body, complete with the energy tendrils, which seem to change shape sometimes. Rotom can also use some of the characteristics of the object they possess, even gaining new attacks. Rotom are even able to enter power or phone lines and “go with the flow”, allowing them to travel long distances incredibly fast. However, because of their high-energy structure, they are unable to become invisible.

Because of these abilities, Rotom are incredibly difficult to study. One captured specimen escaped from it’s holding cell by launching into the wall and going through a whole layer of insulation before it entered the power lines in the wall. It then proceeded to wreak havoc upon the lab’s computer network, destroying any information the lab may have obtained by that point, before escaping by way of the ground lines. Interestingly, Pokeballs energy storage system adequately contains Rotom’s unique energy and prevents the Rotom from leaving the Pokeball of its own freewill. Scientists are currently working on a method to study Rotom while they are in a Pokeball, but the technology is still early in development.

Much about the lifecycle of Rotom is a mystery. It is unknown how long they live, although a specimen currently in captivity is reported to be over 50 years old. Rotom seem to be genderless, as the only Pokemon they can mate with are Ditto. The eggs have an insulated shell that not only protects the Rotom inside, but also prevents the Rotom from randomly “phasing” through the eggshell. This insulation also prevents any imaging of the inside of the egg with methods such as x-rays. Upon hatching, the Rotom is exactly identical to any other Rotom. They don’t seem to age or grow with time, and have never been seen eating anything with their mouth. It has been suggested that Rotom feed upon electrical energy, draining power from the devices and wires that it enters.

Rotom sightings appear to be on the rise. This could be because of the increasing use of technology. In fact, there are no recorded sightings of Rotom before the widespread use of electrical devices. This only raises further questions about the origin of the Rotom species, as they appear to be directly related to the advance of technology. Theories range from it being an artificially created Pokemon like Porygon, to it being a by-product of the advancing intelligence of computers. Further research is needed to answer the mysteries surrounding this fascinating and unique Pokemon.
    Last edited by TheSequelReturns; 8th October 2008 at 8:59 PM. Reason: Forgot Italics

Lightbulb

I'd like to reserve Palkia (duh).
    Pearl FC:
    4897 3709 5343

Platinum FC:
    5069 9810 4956

Click here to join the Dragon Pokémon Fan Club!

My sprite shop:*salpsprites*

YAAY!

This-cat-is-cat-a-cat-good-cat-way-cat-to-cat-keep-cat-an-cat-idiot-cat-busy-cat-for-cat-20-cat-seconds-cat.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by storymasterb View Post
    Rayquaza mainly feeds on flying pokemon such as Altaria, Charizard and Salamence. However, if prey gets scarce for some reason it will descend to the ground and eat as much as it can to prevent itself from starving. This state is when the majority of Rayquaza sightings take place.
    I would like to comment on the fact that it eats flying Pokémon. In the Pokédex it says Rayquaza feeds on droplets of water and clouds in the ozone layer.
    Pearl FC:
    4897 3709 5343

Platinum FC:
    5069 9810 4956

Click here to join the Dragon Pokémon Fan Club!

My sprite shop:*salpsprites*

YAAY!

This-cat-is-cat-a-cat-good-cat-way-cat-to-cat-keep-cat-an-cat-idiot-cat-busy-cat-for-cat-20-cat-seconds-cat.

s a l poke, we are trying to make it as non-canonical as possible.

Pokemon Pearl Team

Sorry I havent been here in a while, I've been quite busy. Perapsam is right in a way. We are trying to make this as realistic as possible. A living being as big large as Rayquaza simply could not survive on nothing but "water droplets and clouds" It needs nutrition from somewhere. It could however never need to drink as it absorbs all moisture it needs from water droplets and clouds.

Reservations accepted and ill add the articles to the front page in just a moment..except s a l poke. Fredburger reserved Palkia first if you look back a couple of posts.
    Last edited by you; 17th October 2008 at 10:15 AM.

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast