Thread: The Seedling (A Sonic the Hedgehog Fanfiction)

Default The Seedling (A Sonic the Hedgehog Fanfiction)

Disclaimer: I do not own Tails or any other related charcters, they are the property of SEGA and Sonic Team.

Note: The majority of the chapters within this fic do not meet the 6 pages on Word majority pleasing area. As such, to those that read this fic, it is recommended that you remove all comments of length from the mind to enjoy this story.

This fic is rated PG to PG-13 for mild mature themes.

Thank you for taking time to read the provided note and enjoy the fic.

---------

The Seedling

Summary: Takes place after Season 3 of Sonic X. A new child has developed from the seed Tails was taking care of. Tails takes the responibility of becoming the father. At only the age of ten, how will this new experience effect his life?

Prologue

A two-tailed fox sat upon his bed with a look of depression upon his face. It had been over a year since he had met the love of his life. According to the calculation within his smart brain, it had been four hundred ninety nine days, twenty-three hours, fifty minutes and twenty-five seconds since he had to kill the love of his life to save the universe from destruction.

He hardly felt like celebrating what would soon come, because within a few minutes was also the anniversary of the day he had met the love of his life. As tradition for such a thing, he would take the plant that he had grown since the day of her death to where she had crash-landed on his planet and spend a little time there, reflecting on the love he had once shared.

Indeed, this fox had fallen in love with an alien from another planet. It was by her hand that the entire universe was saved. When it seemed that the evil entity would destroy everything, the love of his life immobilized the monster by attaching herself to the creature that was on the verge of exploding.

The love of his life then told the fox to take this chance and destroy the evil being. However, he struggled to do so, because the young kit knew that the shot would destroy his love as well. She begged him to do it, telling him that it was the only way to save everyone. With a final tearful goodbye, he took the shot and destroyed the evil, along with his love.

The seed that had now grown into a plant was all that was left of her after the devastating battle. He had no idea if the plant would just grow on forever and become a tree of some kind or into a new member of the species that his love was. However, he had no hope in the chance of the latter, he just expected it to grow forever.

He looked at his watch and saw it was nearly time for the exact moment when he had met her. He took the plant with him and left the house.

His legs carried him across the grass. It wasn’t far from his house, practically a three-minute walk. It wasn’t long until he reached a crater, which was where his love had crash-landed in her now forever non-operational space pod. The pod had been moved to the garage of his house since then. He had made attempts to make it work again, but nothing seemed to help.

He set the plant down and waited. To think that she had arrived during a meteor shower that happens only once every three hundred years. What were the odds that she would come during that time? He looked up into the vast heavens of the nighttime sky that had the many stars twinkling. He had promised himself to come here every year and remember the time he had spent with her.

At the crater now was a tombstone that had her name carved upon it. The name carved upon it was “Cosmo”. The words “Friend”, “Tails love”, “Savior of Galaxy” were carved below the name. All his friends called the two tailed fox Tails, but his real name was Miles Prowler. However, it was a name that he hated to the core of his heart, and in respect to all that, those that knew him called him Tails, a name he very much liked compared to his real one.

Cosmo, the love of his life may have been an alien from another planet, and in a strange coincidence part plant, but Tails had loved her with all his heart. There was so much that he wanted to do with this new love he had made. Yet now all of the fantasies that he had were gone. He would never be able to do everything that he wanted to do with her.

The exact minute of when he had met her soon arrived, and at that very moment the plant that he had set on top of the grave started to glow with a light that was brighter than the sun itself. Tails covered his eyes with his hands to keep himself from getting blinded from the brightness of the light. Suddenly, a being appeared in front of him, protecting him from the light. Tails removed his hand now that something was protecting him from the light, but curiosity wavered in his mind, wondering what and who was standing before him. The beauty of the being was beyond all known description.

Suddenly, a voice spoke to Tails. “Tails-San!” The feminine voice said.

Tails was shocked. There was only one who had ever called him that out of all things. The voice belonged to his love, Cosmo. Could it be that she was returning to him after all this time? His heart now hoped with all its might for that.

“Tails-San, I know how much you miss me and how much you want me back, but I’m afraid that cannot be. The moment I was destroyed was the moment I was gone forever.”

The heart and face of Tails suddenly dropped as he heard this. For a moment, he had so much hope that she would return, and now that hope had vanished.

“However, I don’t want you to live in sadness forever. Remember that I will always be with you.”

At that point a smile appeared upon his face. A part of him had forgotten that she would always be with him within his heart.

“I see that you have been taking very good care of the seed that was left behind. It is very fortunate that you have. You are about to be rewarded with the greatest gift that can be offered to someone throughout the life they have.”

He had no idea what she was talking about. What could be the greatest gift that he could ever have throughout his life?

“I hope you like her, Tails-San!” With that, Cosmo suddenly vanished along with the bright light.

The word before his nickname confused him. What did Cosmo mean by “her”? Suddenly, his ears picked up something near him. He looked upon the grave and saw an infant of her species lying there, crying out its first breaths of life.

Tails ran up to the child. Upon closer inspection, he concluded the baby to be a girl. The female was completely naked, just like all newborn children. She had a peach colored face and the body was the shape of that of a regular human. Her hair was the same shade of green that his love had, but also had orange highlights upon them. Not only that, but the hair had small green and orange buds on them.

Tails picked up the small girl and held her gently in his arms. The child was still crying.

Tails shushed the baby in a soothing sound. “It’s okay! Don’t cry!” He then rocked her gently in his arms and hummed a soothing lullaby to her.

The gentle swaying of the arms and the soothing notes from the mouth of Tails calmed the baby down enough to stop her crying. The baby opened her eyes to see who was calming her. The eyes that were revealed were that of a gentle sky blue.

Tails then removed his glove from his hand and moved his exposed hand towards the baby with his index finger pointing at the child. He stopped his hand only centimeters away from the child. In curiosity, the child grabbed the finger pointing at her and inserted the finger into her mouth. She then sucked on the finger and Tails smiled at the gentleness she was showing.

Tails then carried the child back to his house. He then went to the closest closet that he had and found a small blue blanket. He took the blanket and gently wrapped the child in it. He then went to a reclining chair that he had and sat down with the child still in his gentle arms. The child still had her mouth occupied with sucking his finger. It seemed she enjoyed having his finger in her mouth.

He then rocked in the recliner and hummed the soothing lullaby from earlier. The gentle movement and soothing notes of the lullaby calmed the baby down and she let out a yawn and fell asleep in the arms of Tails.

Tails had taken the chance that he now had and removed his finger from the baby’s mouth. He let out a smile as he looked at the baby sleeping peacefully within his arms.

He let out a sigh. “Wait until my friends hear about this!” He said, thinking about what his friends would say when he presented her tomorrow.

---End Prologue---
    -------

Well, I hope you enjoyed that.

Now, to those that want to review, I need your help. I am having a VERY hard time coming up with a name for the child. I am open to all suggestions for a name. Whatever name I find best for the child, I will choose. The one who makes up the name that I pick will be given full credit.

Anyways, please review.

Well, I'll see ya later. ^_^
    Last edited by pokeplayer984; 3rd October 2006 at 2:35 PM.

I stopped watching after the second season (around the time I stopped watching any cartoon), but I did hear about Cosmo and her sacrasfice through Wikipedia.

Anyways, this looks to be a very interesting story you have here. It's a shame that Sonic fics go largely unnoticed here for some reason.
    A proud member of:SPPf Christian Alliance

When I asked Jesus how much he loved me, he said "This much."
    Then he stretched out his arms...and died for me.

Click so they hatch and grow:

Xtra: Makes you wonder what it takes to get noticed in the Non-Pokemon Fics section, huh?

I'll tell you now, you really missed out with the third season. The show actually gets darker after that. The Metarex were basically gone crazy killing machines. They didn't even care if they killed themselves just to destroy their enemies. I'll tell you now, if they weren't stopped, the entire galaxy would've definately been destroyed.

The selfless sacrifice Cosmo made saved the entire galaxy. It's just sad that Tails had to be the one to take the shot.

Anyways, thank you for the review.

Do you have a suggestion for what to name the child? I'm still taking any and all offers that come up.

Well, I'll see ya later. ^_^

How about Riona? Or since her species looks a lot like a Kirlia, the name kirlia would work too.

Anyways, I have my own sonic fic started here. You can find the link in my sig.

Hmm. Good read that, I liked it.

I felt the flow of the emotion Tails was going through, with his depression after his loss and I bet a lot of readers felt it as well. I have a prediction that this is going to be a really interesting and heartfelt story… not to mention having some funny moments here and there. *Pictures the Chaotix having to look after the baby* Sweet! ^_^

A couple of things I think I should point out…
    “I hope you like her, Tails-San!” With that, Cosmo suddenly vanished along with the bright light.
    Don’t you mean ‘love’? After all, it is Cosmo’s seed after all.

He let out a sigh. “Wait until my friends hear about this!” He said, thinking about what his friends would say when he presented her tomorrow.
    Tense error. Should be ‘presents’ because it makes more sense.

Overall score: 4/5
        Spoiler:- Names I suggest:

Check these out:

Thanks for the card, Skiks
    Pokemon Impact (PG13):
    Series: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 (Cancelled)

Starring Black Jack, a veteran pokemon trainer who saves the lives of others while breaking necks of his enemies in cold blood. You want action? You got action!
    (Continue or Reboot? That is the question.)

Goldenrod High (Chaptered Comedy Multishipping fic PG13) Updated: 02/12/09
    Who says school is just for learning? ^^

Check out my other stories, and everyone else's in the Completed Fics forum!

Been doing some singing and voice impressions too! Check me out at the Brian Random Channel Thread!

Xtra: Thank you for the name suggestion. I promise to check out your fic, but I can't make ANY promises as to whether or not I'll end up liking it.

Brian Powell:
    Hmm. Good read that, I liked it.

I felt the flow of the emotion Tails was going through, with his depression after his loss and I bet a lot of readers felt it as well. I have a prediction that this is going to be a really interesting and heartfelt story… not to mention having some funny moments here and there. *Pictures the Chaotix having to look after the baby* Sweet! ^_^
    I was indeed focusing on his loss. I can't help but feel that Tails is forever changed after losing the love of his life, and not for the better sadly.

There will indeed be plenty of heartfelt moments. As well as some comedy points. In fact, this revolves around just about every genre that could be thought up. It is hard to say where this truly belongs. For the time, it is a fact that General, Romance, Horror and Tragedy are not the genre where it belongs, but that doesn't mean that those things won't be put in somehow. I do have a future Sonamy scene in mind for this fic.

And yes, there will be points the Chaotix will try to care for the baby, but let's just say that there is a very comical incident that involves a diaper. LOL!

A couple of things I think I should point out…

Don’t you mean ‘love’? After all, it is Cosmo’s seed after all.
    The word "like" has actually been used to mean "love". Sometimes, even words you don't expect can have a double meaning and not even be noticed. You have found one of such I'll be using for the story.

Tense error. Should be ‘presents’ because it makes more sense.
    Actually, it is hard to say which one to go with. Both cases would give me a tense error sadly. However, now that I think about it, "presents" does make a bit more sense. ^_^

Oh, and you didn't have to hide the names you suggested.

Boy do I ever have a lot of names to choose from.

Well, I gotta go!

See ya later. ^_^

Default Chapter 1

Okay, after a month of working and deciding over a name, I have finally chosen one.

The winner shall be announced after the chapter.

Enjoy it! ^_^

------

Chapter 1

It was the very next morning. He had hardly slept at all last night. It was a wonder how he was still awake. Maybe it was the nervousness within him that kept him awake. Or maybe it was the two pounds of high sugary snacks he had out of depression last night before going out to his love’s gravesite. Either way, he didn’t fall asleep last night after receiving the new child.

He had called up all of his friends, telling them that he had a surprise for all of them and had to come right away. He decided to call his friend Sonic the Hedgehog last because he wanted all of his friends to be there and see the new child together. He knew his blue furred friend could run at speeds of over seven hundred miles per hour. A part of Tails always envied and respected him for that impossible ability.

The first he had called was the hardest to convince. It was Knuckles the Echidna. He was known as the Guardian of the Master Emerald. It was a title that he was highly dedicated to. It would take something he truly cared about to actually make him leave his responsibility. Tails told him that it had to do something with Cosmo. He knew that Knuckles was attached a good amount to Cosmo, but Tails was closer than any one of his friends. Knuckles most likely saw Cosmo as a little sister. If it had to do with someone he cared about that much, Tails knew he would come.

The next one he had called was another hedgehog. Her name was Amy Rose. She had often seen herself as “Sonic’s Girlfriend”. However, it was often believed that Amy was just a hyper fan of Sonic with a powerful crush, not to mention a giant hammer that was just as powerful. Of course, with just that hammer, one knew it was not wise to get onto her bad side. She was a great friend to Cosmo. There was a lot Cosmo had learned from Amy. One thing was to believe in yourself, even when all hope seemed lost, and that teamwork was their most powerful ally.

The only other friend he had called to come over was his closest neighbor and one of his closest friends. It was Cream the Rabbit. She was only a little younger than he was, but they both had the same unique ability of being able to fly, but had different ways of doing it. Throughout the whole time Tails had known her, she had always been a kind soul. However, the battle with the evil entity had matured her a good deal. With Cosmo, she was practically a sister. Cream was an only child. She hardly knew what it was like to have a sister, but if Cosmo was still alive after the great battle with the evil entity, Cream would’ve asked her mom to adopt Cosmo so they could be official sisters.

He walked into his kitchen and walked up to the small basket on the table. There, sleeping peacefully still, was the baby he had received last night. Looking upon her, Tails had to admit that she was beautiful. He was already growing attached to her, but a part of him knew he couldn’t take care of her. Still, he hardly knew what to do with her.

Suddenly, there was a knock upon the door. He dashed over to the door, but before he opened it, there was the sound of someone pounding rapidly on the door. Whoever it was obviously wanted to get in immediately. He unlocked the door and opened it.

“Ah! Too late, little bro.” A voice said that was familiar to Tails.

Standing there in front of him was his friends that he had called to come over. At this point, a pink female hedgehog that was wearing a red dress and red boots was hugging a slightly taller than her blue hedgehog that was begging her to let go. Tails sighed absentmindedly as he saw Amy hugging Sonic with affection.

Next to them, watching the little love scene was a young cream colored rabbit, which Tails believed was how she got her name from when she was born. Yes, her name was Cream. She was currently wearing a new look she had developed herself. She was wearing a top cut-off hat that was yellow and see-through. She was also wearing an orange shirt with a yellow star and a horizontal white stripe right below it, a pair of orange shorts and boots that were also orange. It seemed that orange was her favorite color, though that could only be guessed by what she was currently wearing.

Standing next to her was a red echidna. He was known as Knuckles. He probably got his name from the unique knuckles that he had. They basically had a pair of spikes sticking out of them. It was a mistake to underestimate him with those things.

Knuckles looked boldly at Tails with his arms crossed. “So Tails, what is it that’s so important?” He asked.

“You said it was something about Cosmo, right?” Cream asked.

“Yeah!” Sonic was finally able to push Amy off of him. “So what is it?”

“Yeah, what’s going on?” Amy asked.

“You guys won’t believe it! Come on!” Tails said as he invited his friends in.

He then led them up to the kitchen table where the basket was. He then turned around and faced them.

“You know how I’ve been taking care of a seed since the day Cosmo died, right?” The two-tailed fox asked his friends.

“Yeah, wasn’t that the seed that Sonic gave you?” Amy asked.

“Well, I thought that the seed might just grow into a tree of some kind, but last night, it developed into something different.”

“What?” Knuckles asked.

“Have a look.” He moved over from the basket so they could look at what was inside.

His friends moved closer to the basket with curiosity wavering in their minds. They peered inside and were shocked by what they saw. Sleeping peacefully in front of them was an infant that looked very much like Cosmo. They did see the unique differences of her having orange highlights in her hair, along with the orange and green colored buds.

“A baby?” Cream asked in disbelief.

“Yeah, I’m just as shocked as you guys are.” Tails told them.

“I guess you got one of Cosmo’s children instead.” Knuckles said.

“Yeah, guess I did.”

“I thought out of all things that Cosmo would come back from the seed.” Amy commented. “Guess I was wrong.”

Sonic had only one question to ask Tails. “So, are you going to keep her?” He asked.

Tails was a little shocked by the question, but he answered in a solemn tone. “I…I don’t know. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with her.”

Suddenly, a cry rang through the air. Tails knew it was the baby that was crying. He immediately rushed over to the basket, picked the baby up and cuddled her within his arms.

“It’s okay, don’t cry.” He said in a soothing tone.

He gently rocked the baby within his arms. His friends looked at him with bewilderment, being a little surprised how he was able to handle the baby. After about a few minutes of the baby not ceasing her little tantrum wailing, Amy started wondering if he knew what he was doing.

“Give her to me, Tails.” She said as she held out her arms in front of the two tailed fox.

“Why?” Tails asked.

“I think I might know what’s wrong with her, but I need a closer look to make sure.”

“Oh, okay.” He said as he handed the baby to her.

Amy cradled the crying baby within her arms and looked at the baby carefully. She noticed a few certain things Tails couldn’t see. Amy easily figured out what the baby was trying to tell them.

“Tails, she’s hungry.” Amy told him.

“But, I don’t have anything to feed her with. She was just barely born.” Tails said.

“Then we’re going to have to improvise a little.”

Sonic got an idea and rushed out the door at the speed of sound.

“Where’s Sonic going?” Amy asked.

“Beats me.” Knuckles answered.

A few seconds later he was back with a brand new baby bottle in his hand.

“Wow! Good job, Mr. Sonic.” Cream said.

“No problem.” Sonic said as he then tossed the bottle to Tails.

Tails caught the bottle within his hands and then rushed over to the fridge. He was able to find some fresh milk for the baby. He then put the bottle onto the counter. He opened the jug of milk and then he opened the bottle. He poured the milk into the bottle until it was rather close to full. He then screwed the lid to the bottle back on. After which he screwed the lid to the jug of milk back on and put the milk back into the fridge. He then took the bottle and tested it by dipping it towards his own hand. When he felt the small wet droplets of milk hit his hand he then rushed back to Amy and handed the newly filled bottle to her.

“Here you go!” He said.

“Thanks.” Amy said.

She then inserted the end of the bottle that liquid came out of into the baby’s mouth. The baby noticed something was in her mouth and opened her eyes in shock. She felt something touch her tongue. She then instinctively started to suck on what was in her mouth. The liquid left the bottle and into her mouth, which the baby swallowed. Liking the taste of the milk, she went into a calm state and started to drink the liquid. The gang of friends smiled as they saw the female pink hedgehog feed the baby.

“Hey, Tails…” Amy began.

“Yeah?” Asked Tails.

“Have you named her yet?”

“Well… I… um… uh… no, I haven’t.” He regrettably answered.

“Hmm, what should we name her?” Knuckles asked out loud.

“Maybe Cosmon. You know, like Cosmo?” Sonic suggested.

“Nah! Doesn’t seem to work.” Knuckles answered, obviously not liking Sonic’s choice. “Maybe Dawn?”

“I don’t know, Dawn Prowler doesn’t roll off the tongue.” Amy answered.

“How about… Lily?” Cream suggested.

“Maybe Blossom?” Knuckles said.

“Rose?” Sonic suggested.

The name choices continued. It was difficult coming up with a name for the new baby. They all just couldn’t seem to agree on one. There were even those that seemed to be the worst choice for the baby, which was easily shown when Amy hit Knuckles over the head with her trademark hammer for a certain suggestion.

After about fifty different name choices, all of which they didn’t end up agreeing on, Amy noticed something about the baby bottle she was using to feed the baby. It was now completely empty.

“Wow! Someone was sure hungry!” She said with an amused smile.

She then set the empty bottle down on the counter. She then put the baby over her shoulder and started patting the baby’s back. Tails was a little confused by what she was doing.

“What are you doing, Amy?” He asked.

“I’m trying to burp the baby. A baby’s stomach isn’t fully developed and they need to have the air contents of certain foods and drinks leave their body in order for them to digest it properly.”

“Can I give it a try?”

Amy smiled at him. “Sure!” She said and handed the baby to him.

Tails had the baby rest her head on his right shoulder and he gently patted her back. “Like this?” He asked.

The baby then let out a belch. Then the baby girl Tails was holding turned her head toward the fox and kissed him on his cheek. His friends just awed at the cute scene.

“I guess she loves ya, little buddy!” Sonic said with a very happy smile.

“Well that settles it! The two are already too attached.” Knuckles said.

“There’s no way Tails is letting her go now, right?” Amy asked.

“Right! Julia’s staying.” He said. Took him about half a second to realize that he had named the baby without even thinking of a name. He was very shocked by what he had just done. “I… I don’t know where that came from.”

“Sounds like a good name to me!” Knuckles said.

“It’s a great name, Tails!” Cream complimented.

“I really like it!” Amy said.

“Good choice!” Sonic said, giving him a thumb’s up.

Tails smiled. “Julia Prowler it is!” He said.

“Well, since we have a new addition to our family, we’ve got some serious shopping to do, right?” Amy asked everyone.

“Yep! See ya Tails!” Knuckles said that as they all began to leave.

“We’ll make sure to bring her back some great gifts, Tails!” Cream said.

“See ya bro.” Sonic said.

“Bye guys!” Tails said.

He then looked down at his new baby daughter, Julia Prowler. By now, she had fallen asleep. He smiled at her and gently placed her back in her temporary basket bed. He then gently tucked her in.

“Sleep tight, my little blossom.” He then thought to himself about a little something. “Hmm, I wonder what Cosmo thinks of the new name?”

---End Chapter 1---
    ----------

And the winner is... *insert drumroll*

Brian Powell!

Out of the many names, it was Brian Powell's name choice of Julia that sounded the most right to me.

Congratulations! You deserve all the credit. ^_^

Well, please review.

See ya later. ^_^
    Last edited by pokeplayer984; 7th October 2006 at 6:44 AM. Reason: puncuation problem

There was only 2 people who sent in names, and he had the long list of names.

Anyways, it's a good chapter. Though Julia wasn't a name I would choose, I still like where this is headed.

Who would have thought Tails would be a parent at 8 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by Xtra View Post
    There was only 2 people who sent in names, and he had the long list of names.

Anyways, it's a good chapter. Though Julia wasn't a name I would choose, I still like where this is headed.

Who would have thought Tails would be a parent at 8 years old?
    Actually, Tails is older in this fic. If you re-read the summary I put up, you'll easily see how old he is in this fic.

Summary: Takes place after Season 3 of Sonic X. A new child has developed from the seed Tails was taking care of. Tails takes the responibility of becoming the father. At only the age of ten, how will this new experience effect his life?
    He's 10 in this fic.

There were actually more people that sent me name choices. I have also posted this on Fanfiction.net. There were 6 more people who had suggested names.

There are also others who have read the story, but don't have a membership at either place and sent me name choices by e-mail. (I have my e-mail account on my profile.)

So as you can see, there were more than you two that gave me name choices.

I didn't want to just pick a random name. I thought constantly about what would sound right. In the end, Julia Prowler just sounded the best to me.

Well, I hope I've cleared up everything for ya.

See ya later. ^_^

It’s a bit of a ‘blah’ chapter here, Pokeplaya, although it was cute on Julia’s part. I couple of things I want to point out...
    “Sleep tight! My little blossom.”
    “It’s okay. Don’t cry!” He said in a soothing tone.
    I noticed that you placed an exclamation mark in both of these sentences. Normally, when I read fics and other stories, writers use them when a character talks loudly, which in my mind make sense. You’re probably going to need to revise on them symbols and how to use them.

Overall score: 3/5

About the name stuff... I had some time to spare, I chose those names at random. Thanks anyway.

Check these out:

Thanks for the card, Skiks
    Pokemon Impact (PG13):
    Series: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 (Cancelled)

Starring Black Jack, a veteran pokemon trainer who saves the lives of others while breaking necks of his enemies in cold blood. You want action? You got action!
    (Continue or Reboot? That is the question.)

Goldenrod High (Chaptered Comedy Multishipping fic PG13) Updated: 02/12/09
    Who says school is just for learning? ^^

Check out my other stories, and everyone else's in the Completed Fics forum!

Been doing some singing and voice impressions too! Check me out at the Brian Random Channel Thread!

Brian Powell: Whoops! ^_^; *edits mistakes.*

Sorry about the puncuation problem. That's what I get for not proofreading.

BTW, what could have been done to make the chapter better? I'm always trying to find ways to improve, you know. ^_^

Are you goingt o finish this fic pokeplayer ?
    I like it
    Demy

Friend Code
    2749 6151 7605

blazemxx[/CENTER]
    Member of Asian Pokemaniacs Alliance (APA)[/SIZE]
    Member of Pokemon Australia Club[/SIZE]