Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gathering the Gang of Four! (465)

Pikachu will.

Why?

Because Satoshi is not getting Haruka'ed and lose again.
    Koshiyo Tatoyo i O suYA Fool YO! YO!

O_O *pukes at the terrible artwork*

At least it wasn't Destiny Bond. Mean Look/Confuse Ray/Shadow Punch...yeah, that's a surefire way to win against such a powerful Pokémon!(I'm not being sarcastic) I'm sure seeing Char, Squirtle, and Bulba again will balance it out somewhat.

Revolution FC: 2620-9865-4149

Yes! I cant wait to See this in the USA!

I have a question: did they observe continuity and have Jenny with the same symbol on her hat tat she had in the Squirtle Squad ep?

Quote Originally Posted by Shift
    I have a question: did they observe continuity and have Jenny with the same symbol on her hat tat she had in the Squirtle Squad ep?
    They did. I just checked the Johto episode "Love Pokemon Style" where Squirtle returns for the Johto League and yep Jenny has the same star.

Weekly commentary crap, away!

-The ep opens with Prof Oak giving Ash his Bulbasaur, since Ash is apparently too lazy to get it himself(or perhaps the transfer system needs Oak around for some reason?).
    -Bulbasaur then greets Pikachu, standing on its hind legs as it apparently has developed a sudden tendency to do throughout the ep.
    -Then comes Squirtle riding along with Jenny(on a motorcycle, for those who are highly forgetful or need everything spelled out for them), who meets up with Bulbasaur(still on its hind legs - is that a trick Oak taught it or what?) and Pikachu and the old "hey how you doing have the humans given you any good Pokefood lately" stuff happens.
    -After Brock gets the obligatory ear-pull, Oak looks to the sky. Is it a bird? A plane? A meteor crashing down to destroy them all? No, it's...
    -Charizard! Oddly drawn at that(you know it's bad when *I* notice it!). Ash asks if it's doing well, and then it nods and we get the obligatory Flamethrower.
    -You all saw it coming...the meeting of the Squirtle! They Water Gun each other since that's apparently what Squirtle do upon meeting each other(May's Squirtle does double-duty and practices its levitation technique), and we get a clear shot showing that yes, May's Squirtle IS smaller than Ash's. (gasp! shock! horror! revelation! exlaimation marks!)
    -Ash apparently decided to go camping with only himself and his Pokemon. Why? I have no clue! Go find someone who understands Japanese for that, eh? Well, Oak said a bunch of crap about trainers and Pokemon and feelings so I'm guess that the reason's an exceptionally corny one. Which promps Max to mimic Jindai for some reason(at least I got a good chuckle out of his facial expression!).
    -Joy gives Ash some cookies(crack...er, I mean...okay, fine. I'll steal from Chatsy's pic commentary AND I WON'T BE ASHAMED! >O). This makes Ash's Pokemon happy, and when 'zard's happy, it FLAMETHROWERS. Resulting in Ash cursi...er, being unhappy.
    -Out in the middle of nowhere, Ash finds some conveniently placed logs and has Charizard throw them into the air and Bulbasaur cut them into more manageable pieces with Razor Leaf(them leaves be STRONG) while oddly dramatic music plays. The Pokemon catch them(aside from Squirtle who was too smug to catch its one correctly. Remember kiddies, if you're smug, YOU LOSE!), make them into a square border, and then collect bedding(aka "leaves") uplifted by Squirtle's Rapid Spin.
    -Once the bed's made, Charizard can't help but PILE DIVE INTO THE LEAVES, resulting in a fair number of them forcibly leaving the bed. This pisses Squirtle off, who Water Guns the Zard, who angrily goes over to the Irtle(...hmm, doesn't work that well does it?), who along with the Saur jump back, who with the hippin and the hoppin and the bippin and the boppin and the RAH RAH RAH. Bulbasaur sends a Vine Whip Charizard's way despite Ash's protests, but the Zard ain't taking that and it jumps out of the way, resulting in a grave mistake. Pikachu is hit with the Vine Whip. Pikachu Iron Tails the Zard, resulting in a stand-off and Ash telling them to CUT THAT THE **** OUT, which earns him nary but a Flamethrower. Which of course hits Pikachu too, and this time it's REALLY ****ING ******. Hunching its back in a catlike manner, it gets REALLY SPARKY before SHOCKING THE **** OUT OF EVERYONE ELSE.
    -With the bed re-made and everybody not trying to kill each other, they decide to find some FOOD! Ash starts to tell Bulbasaur to get the fruit down from a fruit tree they found, when...THE ZARD HAS WINGS OF STEEL! They work quite well for getting fruit down, and Ash is impressed with them even aside from that.
    -With their food collected and the sun setting, Ash has Charizard light a fire(since when do berries need cooking?), and after the obligatory "oops too much fire heh D:" incident(Bulbasaur's standing on its hind legs again for some reason), Charizard gets a nice fire going by sending out the puniest ember possible. Which also prompts the ballad version of Battle Frontier to start playing.
    -We then get a series of flashbacks showing how Ash got these Pogeymans, with a bit of artistic license since they reanimated them - Charmander's leaf used to be one leaf but is now four, Charizard fought Articuno in a building but is shown fighting it on an open patch of dirt(and with Ash in his Kanto clothes?!), most notably.
    -We then get a brief series of shots showing what Ash did over a span of two days. Nothing terribly interesting.
    -TR find Ash, and blah blah blah plot to get Pikachu yadda yadda...traveling ramen stand? Ash takes this in stide(hey, apparently trucks with ramen stands in the back are the hip new thing!) and goes to order something. TR feigns not having the electricity to power their ramen stand or something, which...well, YOU KNOW. They then back up(in a foresty mountainous area? Isn't that dangerous?) and we go through the OMG TR thing we all know. And possibly love.
    -TR's truck transforms into...a metal Meowth balloon? ...**** PHYSICS!
    -Ash and Po.(pun is both intended and horrifyingly awful) give chase, and...omg Razor Leaves don't work! Flamethrower heats up the metal but not much else, and Water gun does all of jack ****. But Ash remembers something he(or rather, his Pokemon under the guidance of Noctowl) did once upon a Johto filler and has Charizard and Squirtle heat up and cool down the balloon in rapid succession, evenetually weakening the metal enough for it to crack and be destroyed by a Razor Leaf. Thems got TEAMWORK!
    -Pikachu jumps out of the balloon(why didn't it try that before?) and Ash catches it. Then Ash orders the dreaded COMBO ATTACK against TR, which gives us more amusing expressions(sure have a lot of those today!) and a random explosion(EVERYTHING EXPLODES PEOPLE!). TR blasts off, with the only notable thing being Manene's "¦P" expression. Idn't et KOOT? Oh, and Jessie eating ramen. THEY ACTUALLY HAD SOME ZOMG?
    -Ash and Po. celebrate, but...Charizard SENSES something! It's...it's...
    -Mr. I Need a Hug! He compliments Ash on his Pokemon's combinations, Ash tells Jindai that these critters are his first Pokemon(other than Pigetotto and Butterfree, of course!), and Jindai tells Ash that their next match will be a four on four!
    -Ash and Jindai arrive back at the Pokemon Center where everyone's waiting for them(was someone looking out for them via binoculars or did they just stand there for three days?).
    -Inside the center, Ash find out that if he wins HI KAN B A BREIN 2!!!111 And...Ash and Co had no idea that Scott owns the Battle Frontier?! Who did they THINK he was, a random peon of the owner?
    -After all this information, Ash settles into a ":O" face, before blocking it all out with "I HAVE TO BEAT JINDAI N E WEI!". Oak offers a haiku(with Max butting in at the end), and the scene shifts to the Pyramid, whose top opens BECAUSE IT CAN.
    -Ash has gotten himself a small audience of eight by now, and the FIGHT! poster is hung below them(yay for continuity!).
    -Jindai sends out Dusclops, Ash sends out Charizard, Joy and Jenny comment on their types, and Brock pops up behind them before realizing that he can't decide which one to hit on.
    -We're treated to a rendition of one of the games' battle themes as the match starts and blows are traded. First a clash of firey moves, then a Steel Wing thwarted by Zard getting SHADOW PUNCHED IN THE FACE.
    -Charizard finally connects with a Dragonbreath, but Brandon orders a Mean Look, which doesn't do anything...for now. and when Charizard goes in for another Steel Wing...bam! Confuse Ray! (or in this case, Confuse Sphere. Oh heck, let's call it Suspicious Light since that's what makes sense to the people making this series)
    -ASh tries to cure that by recalling Charizard, but...it dun work! The audience comments on this(Brock's still behind Jenny and Joy despite having been pulled away by Max earlier)
    -Charizard keeps getting the smackdown, but after Ash shouts at it enough times it comes to its senses and a tune I haven't heard in quite a while plays - the orchestral version of Advance Adventure!
    -More blows traded, Zard goes for the Steel Wing again and Dusclop tries the old hang-onto-the-wing-and-attack trick again, but...NUH-UH! Charizard goes into a Seismic Toss...but Dusclops vanishes from its grip! Brock brings up the issue of Fighting attacks not working on Ghosts(since Ash apparently forgot). Dusclops Shadow Punches Charizard, resulting in the latter landing on its head and thus being KOed and receiving the undignified treatment of SWIRLY EYES.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Juputoru, that is probably the funiest guide I'ver ever read.

This was a great episode.

The Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard scenes were both nostalgic and heartwarming. Ha, this episode felt like blatant fanservice to the fans who started watching back in 1998 and I loved it.

The animation could have been a little better but the music and the story made up for it. I loved how they actually made it look like Charizard was going to win, giving us flashbacks of its battles against Blaziken and Charizard, only to have the shocker of it losing to Dusclops.

That was truly my favorite part of the episode, the writers threw a perfect plot twist at us. Nice to see them break away from the tradition of Charizard winning the match for him EVERY time he shows up.

I've been waiting since the beginning of Battle Frontier to see Ash's Squirtle again, and I finally got my wish! The scene with it playing with May's Squirtle was also something I was hoping for, thank you, writers!

Brandon is truly the strongest opponent Ash has ever faced, and the Pokemon he showcases are great.

If this is the end, this is a fantastic way to go out. Although I hope to keep watching in the future, this is at least a great way to end AG and the series in general.

Let's just hope the writers don't screw themselves over in the future.

What. The. Heck.

Seriously, browsing through the pictures of this episode, I was asking myself this many times. In some pictures, Pikachu looks freaky, as does Charizard. When did Bulbasaur start standing on its hind legs so much? Why didn't it use its vines to carry the logs? Have the regular pokemon animators been fired for cheaper animators? Because this episode looks like serious crap. Maybe when I actually watch it and see the nostalgia in it, I'll like it better, but man, I wish they would kick it back into gear and make the pokemon look how they're SUPPOSED to.

Different episodes have different animation teams. This episode introduced a new team that had not previously done an episode. Needless to say, they did not prove too competent.

Honestly, I thought the training segment was really boring. I didn't find the antics between the Pokemon very funny, and the TR battle totally sucked (and I mean more than usual).
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

Nobody's mentioned this one funny scene yet...when Ash and Brandon sent out Charizard and Dusclops, Jenny and Joy commented on them being Fire-type and Ghost-type. Then Brock popped up and said something about Jenny and Joy being Beautiful-types. XD XD

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

I just wish the flashback animations could have actually been the real animation because they didn't serve as sentimental this way and they were also just wrong. Charizard didn't battle Arcticuno in a field

I know why Bulbasaur stands on his hind legs! Its simply a complex of being the only Kanto Starter walking on its fours
    Thanks to Pink Skitty for the Awesome Banner!

What I want to know is how Bulbasaur was able to catch the log with his walking hands, but Squirtle wasn't able to do it with his regular hands. Would've made far more sense the other way around.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

I rather liked the way Dusclops was drawn in this episode, actually (/random)

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

What's with the Bulbasaur standing on his hind legs? Anyway, I loved the Ep guide, Juputoru.

Is there some law that states Bulbasaur can't stand on his hind legs?

Bwuh?

i swear the more i look at the pics and next weeks preview it reminds me of the 8th gym battle from Hoenn against Jaun, heck we even had a similar occurance with someone being unexpectedly taken down that was thought to pick up a win. Look at it.

Grovyle vs Luvdisc
    Charizard vs Dusclops

In both fights Ash's pokemon got beaten when they were expected to either win or be called back, but did anyone see their losses coming, no they didnt, and for the record with Charizard people had either expected it to be DB'd or called back, not lose directly.

Lizardon losing was a huge shock. Overall, it was a good episode, with great musical scores.

Next week is the payoff, and without Lizardon around, it will be different for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed

Bwuh?
    Still looks cool, and I'm not just saying that because Bulbasaur is my favorate Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Suikun
    What I want to know is how Bulbasaur was able to catch the log with his walking hands, but Squirtle wasn't able to do it with his regular hands. Would've made far more sense the other way around.
    Because Squirtle closed its eyes so he had no idea the log would land on the back of his head.

if you face facts ash could change pokemon anytime he wanted, if he had any sense he would of withdrawn charizard for some rest before dusclops finished him. Charizard has taken on a ****** clone of itself, a fire blasting magmar, an aerodactyl, a pidgeot,fought an undefeatable entei, fryed an articuno, taken down half of garys team including a blastoise and a golem and has fought a dragonite or two as well as 24/7 training with the strongest of its species.
    So for the writers to take him out of the equation so quickly like that was extremely weird and not really much of a testament to its expierence and power. Despite charizard being out i still have some sort of feeling hell have a part to play before this saga with brandon is over, or is it just wishful thinking.
    oh and i wouldnt be suprised now if squirtle evolves in this match, think about why they showed squirtle as being far bigger than may's possibly an indication for something or again is this just wishful thinking?????

Quote Originally Posted by Ash's Charizard View Post
    if you face facts ash could change pokemon anytime he wanted, if he had any sense he would of withdrawn charizard for some rest before dusclops finished him.
    Charizard was afflicted by the effects of Mean Look, meaning it couldn't be returned to it's pokéball.

There are times at a crisis when you call upon skills in which you never knew you had.

..Or something like that. I guess this was a crisis for Bulbasaur since it's been a king at Oaks having everyone obey him, he had to do something that would make him look good in front of Ash at a time like this.

I personally enjoyed the episode, if for nothing more than a huge nostalgia trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    Nobody's mentioned this one funny scene yet...when Ash and Brandon sent out Charizard and Dusclops, Jenny and Joy commented on them being Fire-type and Ghost-type. Then Brock popped up and said something about Jenny and Joy being Beautiful-types. XD XD
    So THAT'S what he said? XD Makes sense since Brock says those sorts of things to female Beautiful-types.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed
    My main issue with it is that this is the first time Bulbasaur has done that in TEN YEARS. Why show it like that now when every other time it's shown up it's ALWAYS been on all fours? I suppose there's some vague precident for it from Ivysaur's RB sprite, but isn't it a TAD late for that? It'd be like Squirtle going around on all fours - sure it's possible, but it'd be strange since it never did that before.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast