Thread: Why is the disscussion of cheating devices or cheat codes illegal?

Question Why is the disscussion of cheating devices or cheat codes illegal?

I have read the rules and the first one says:
    "1. Don't ask for or provide illegal content, discuss cheating devices or cheat codes. This includes episode downloads, Gameshark, Action Replay, ROMs, etc"

I understand ROM's since they are truly outlawed, but why cheating devices and cheat codes especially? Cheating devices such as the ones listed in the first rule are not illegal. The use of them is frowned upon and if anything happens to your game the warranty is void, but it is not illegal. The purchase and use of cheating devices are perfectly legal and they are sold all over the country in many stores. Cheat codes really surprised me since cheats codes are built into the game by the creators. So why has the discussion of them been made illegal on this forum?

I know this post will most likely be locked even though I'm not specifically discussing any cheat code or device nor am I asking for or providing any as the rules state. Before it is locked though, I would like an honest answer to my honest question. Thank you.
    I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

It is due to Cheat Codes and Cheating Devices being illegal in parts of the world, and if large amounts of it is alked about, Nintendo/GF has the ability to close sown Serebii, IIRC.

Cheat Codes also aren't left in by Game Creators, but instead are codes what Cheating Devices use to modify agme content.

I don't know wether they are illegal wherever you are, but they are illegal devices in a large amount of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    It is due to Cheat Codes and Cheating Devices being illegal in parts of the world, and if large amounts of it is alked about, Nintendo/GF has the ability to close sown Serebii, IIRC.
    Where did you get this information? I don't think a company can shut down any forums on the internet that simply discuss cheating content, nor do I believe that cheating devices (i.e., ones that exploit software bugs) are illegal anywhere. I did a quick check, and I can't confirm any of what you said here. The closest I got was an article talking about how Russia cheats the world out of large amounts of fish.

Cheat Codes also aren't left in by Game Creators, but instead are codes what Cheating Devices use to modify agme content.
    I think he meant the Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right type cheat codes, but to my knowledge there aren't any for Pokémon. Well, you can consider soft resetting one, or perhaps save file deletion, but those were meant to be used and don't effect the game one way or another.

I don't know wether they are illegal wherever you are, but they are illegal devices in a large amount of the world.
    I really can't find this. Do you mind linking it?

I always assumed they just didn't want people discussing cheats or hacks because it would hurt the trading section by allowing another section the ability to spam fakes. That, and it hurts the forums reputation as an established Pokémon discussion website.

if large amounts of it is alked about, Nintendo/GF has the ability to close sown Serebii, IIRC.
    I too would like to know where you got this from. Several websites discuss cheat codes and devices, some of which are dedicated to them, and they don't get shutdown. I realize cheating is frowned upon, but I don't think the action you're referring to can be taken.
    3711-7728-5652

I'm not sure if you are right or not, but that is a good point. It is possible that cheating devices have been outlawed in certain countries, considering some countries outlaw whole video games or even video games in general. If this isn't the case though then there's no reason we shouldn't be able to discuss them. Here in the U.S. they are sold in all major electronic stores such as Best Buy and are within the law. The purchase AND use of these cheating devices are legal and as I stated before the only thing negative that can happen is the loss of any warranty involved if the game breaks internally from use of a cheating device. However cheat codes ARE left in by the game creators, usually left in for testing purposes before releasing it. These codes are left in and can be legally accessed by anyone that owns the game by pressing certain buttons or entering the code in within the game. Certain games, like Saints Row 2 which I was playing earlier, actually has a place within the menu to save any cheats you enter for later use. So cheats codes are definitely legal. Now obviously Pokémon doesn't have any cheat codes, but plenty of other games do, and the rules state we can't discuss any of them. Basically something that is legal is illegal on this forum and I'm curious as to why.
    I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

The way the rule is phrased makes it seem like it's saying that all those things listed are illegal, but that wasn't the intention. They were all sort of lumped together. Cheat codes and cheating devises are obviously not illegal, but Serebii does not allow cheat talk allowed in his forum, so that's why the rule is there. As for ROMs and the like, that's obviously illegal (as in you can get real life legal consquences) so that is definitely not allowed.

Edit: to expand further on why he doesn't allow cheating devices talk and whatnot, it's because Nintendo looks down upon it, such as in official tournaments and the like, so if Nintendo doesn't support it, neither does he. You can ask him personally if you'd like, but he's busy so he probably won't reply.
    Last edited by Kreis; 6th October 2013 at 8:08 AM.
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)