Thread: The Cartoon Cipher on Subs vs. Dubs

Default The Cartoon Cipher on Subs vs. Dubs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGyxm1zsijk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wrkvjd6GJQ

For all the battles this debate has sprouted, The Cartoon Cipher channel has stepped up to actually provide some perspective on this topic.

There are other videos but thus far, I think these are the most important out of them all. They are lengthy but worth every second in my opinion should you find the time to sit down and watch.

I know some will be tempted to reply on gut instinct before they watch the whole thing but trust me, there is a lot of food for thought and you'll wanna stick around for this buffet.
    Pokemon Heroes: The Black & White Chapter PILOT

"14 year old Hilda is a Pokemon Trainer with a secret: she can talk to Pokemon. After setting off into Unova, she gets involved in the affairs of Team Plasma and becomes acquainted with N, a mysterious guy her age. He may possess the exact same abilities as her but his views couldn't be more different. As her team grows in strength, numbers and bonds, Hilda finds a tangled web of mystery weaving around her and a daunting fate that she can't ever turn her back on..."

Kutie Pie is offline 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

I like this guy's videos on the subject and all, but I'm a bit disappointed that when he brought up that with Japanese studios not being happy with these abridged series simply because it's changing up their hard work, he not once mentioned when talking about 4KIDS that control-freak Toei Animation gave explicit permission to every single change-up in One Piece. Despite it changing up everything from footage edits (understandable with blood and cleavage (blame soccermoms) removals, but not with silly edits to characters' faces and a whale becoming an iceberg) to the story being botched to the point it would've caused more serious issues had they continued with it (although this could be hand-waved as no one knowing they'd be important later--but still, it was all approved of). Pretty hypocritical of them to cry out "But you'll ruin all our hard work and story-telling!", if you ask me.

But uh, other than that... what exactly did you want to discuss here that wasn't already explained in great detail in those videos? He already has given examples and arguments from both sides of the aisle, what more can be said about it?
    Winner of Best Non-Pokémon Fic of 2016 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 9 - 11/26/17 / Handle with Care: Chapter 11 - 1/10/18

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Pretty hypocritical of them to cry out "But you'll ruin all our hard work and story-telling!", if you ask me.
    Last I checked Toei took issue with how One Piece flopped as a result and revoke the license from them so... yeah. He emphasized that in the case of marketing powerhouses, artistic integrity was the bottom rung for those cases. In case you can't tell, this is a very case by case scenario.

Really, I'm hoping to bring more attention to these guys since ADR work is practically invisible to general Anime fans.
    Last edited by matt0044; 19th February 2018 at 12:45 PM.
    Pokemon Heroes: The Black & White Chapter PILOT

"14 year old Hilda is a Pokemon Trainer with a secret: she can talk to Pokemon. After setting off into Unova, she gets involved in the affairs of Team Plasma and becomes acquainted with N, a mysterious guy her age. He may possess the exact same abilities as her but his views couldn't be more different. As her team grows in strength, numbers and bonds, Hilda finds a tangled web of mystery weaving around her and a daunting fate that she can't ever turn her back on..."