Page 10 of 96 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Language Club

Quote Originally Posted by Jinchuuriki Hunter View Post
    So that means "gyo" is fish. Right?

Meh, not much to say now...oh yeah, can somebody give me a list of weather conditions in Japanese?

Sunji no Hitokoto
    "Konoha" means leaf.
    Half right, "Gyo" is the "On" reading of the kanji for "fish". The "kun" reading being "sakana". Almost every kanji has an On and Kun reading. The On reading generaly being reminisent of the original Chinese word and the Kun reading is usually the common Japanese word. Your most likely to hear the On reading in compound words made of two kanji or the like such as in this case, Ningyo were if the kanji wasnt compounded it would be "Hito Sakana" which translates the same. So, the Japanese word for fish is "Sakana" but when combined with the kanji for "hito" to make the word mermaid, they convert from "hito sakana" to "Ningyo". Hope that wasnt too confusing.

Another example can be from the word "nettai" or "tropics".The On readings for the individual kanji is "Netsu Tai". It literally means "hot belt" (hot belt being the tropics) but if you were to seperate the kanji, it would read by the kun reading of "atsu(i) obi" but, once again, when combined to form the word for tropics, it becomes "nettai" (as the "tsu" becomes a double constanent) I suppose this happens because the On reading tends to be shorter and they combine better.

By the way, thanks for clearing that up Edamame, Ill make sure not to use Nakayoshi when refering to my friends.
    Last edited by Mira; 24th September 2006 at 2:04 PM.
    I play Japanese versions and use Dream World.

B/W: Mira ~ 4383 7570 5272

I could indicate one grammar point about the usage of "tomodachi" and "nakayoshi".
    If you are to say "I'm on good terms with him" in Japanese, you can say "Kare wa watashi no tomodachi desu", "Watashi wa kare to tomodachi desu", or "Watashi to kare wa tomodachi desu". Literally, these mean "He's a friend of mine", "I'm friends with him", and "He and I are friends", respectively.
    (hm..I can hardly make out the difference between "my friend" and "a friend of mine", but anyway the latter seems to be suitable in this case)
    But as for "nakayoshi", you can say "Watashi wa kare to nakayoshi desu" or "Watashi to kare ha nakayoshi desu", but not "Kare wa watashi no nakayoshi desu". In other words, you can say "I'm nakayoshi with him" or "We're nakayoshi", but not "He's my nakayoshi".
    I'm sorry if you already knew this.
    Last edited by Edamame; 24th September 2006 at 4:34 PM.
    I'm a Pokemon-loving English-learner. I am sorry for my poor English writing, and if you found a grammatical error or something in my posts, even if it was the smallest one, I'd be glad if you would kindly point it out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yami ookami View Post
    Konichiwa! May I join?
    Watashi wa Nihongo ga dai suki desu!
    Hai, irashaii!^_^
    Ohayou-Gozaimasu, Watashi No Tomodachi!
    ~Sunji No Hitokoto!~
    "Buuka" means pig, Correct me if i'm wrong.

Hi. I have not been here for a whole day, and it has already done another one and a half pages.

About the smoking and drinking thing, I think it is more of a taboo in the US than it is in the UK. I mean, smoking is considered to be bad for your health, but people would not refrain from talking about it infront of children.

Edamame, you know like you said that there are software for learning kanji in japan, do they start teaching with no prior knowledge, or do you have to know so much about kanji first? IU was wondering, because, I am just learning japanese and kana, and a game to help me learn Kanji would be of great help.
    Also, I was watching this documentary about japan the other day, and I was wondering, what are the rules of pachinko? There were just loads of silver balls falling, and I just did not understand it. Also, is it a really big thing?
    Wanna chat? Just add me to your msn or AIM.
    I claim Brook/ Gentelman Skeleton in the Bishie thread (version 3.0)

Can any one tell me what programes I can get for typing Japanese please?

Morning you guys^^. Here's some more Words to post up. I don't know if some of them are post up but Here's some anyway:

Plants

plants = (shokubutsu)
    grass = (kusa)
    flower = (hana)
    nut/fruit/berry = (mi)
    tree = (ki)
    leaf =(ha)
    root = (ne) (nekko)
    stalk = (kuki)
    mushrooms = (kinoko)
    cherry blossom = (sakura)
    chrysanthemum = (kiku)
    pinetree = (matsu)
    Japanese cedar = (sugi)
    Japanese cypress = (hinoki)
    bamboo = (take)
    lotus = (hasu)
    .::Signature is being remodel::.

Wow, that is a long list. Is there some way that someone could do is so that all of the groups of words are togeather? I mean like on a site or blog or something. So far, in groups of words, there are:-
    -colours
    -days
    -months
    -plants
    -planets(well, i posted some of them)

and that is all that comes to mind so far.

I have just thought of a suggestion. Someone could post somewhere a list of certain things, like the plants, and nothing else, and then the owner of this club could edit the first page with links to them. It could also be used to do the "Phrase of the moment" things in. Just a suggestion
    Last edited by Kez; 24th September 2006 at 7:08 PM.

Smile Konnichiwa

Yami Ookami: Welcome Dark Wolf (is that right?)! Apparently you enjoy japanese, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. Thanks for joining!

Edamame: I remember Nintendo Power mentioning the japanese title for Brain Age (or whatever). I'd like to see someone here say "Touhoku daigaku mirai kagaku gijutsu kyoudou kenkyuu sentaa kawashima ryuuta kyouju kanshuu motto nou wo kitaeru otona no DS toreiningu" five times fast! Of course, I'd like to be able to say it ONE time fast.

Angel-FoX: Are you talking about enabling your computer to type japanese, or are you looking for a program specifically for japanese stuff? I have Windows XP and enabled it so I can type japanese at anytime, anywhere. Too bad the forums still aren't formatted for the extra characters... Anyways, if you clarify that, I'm sure we can help you out.

Kez: Sure we can post them in groups! Do we have to post them on a seperate site, though? Shouldn't linking direct posts (with only the certain information) be O.K.? Great idea, though!

Wow, that's a lot of info since my last visit! O.K., everyone, I have updated the Sunji no Hitokoto list, but I'm going to post it officially by itself after someone posts after me. That way I can link it to the first page and have only the sunji no hitokoto ("word of the moment"'s). Then, the post AFTER that one, I'll resume discussing other stuff.
    Thanks for the corrections everyone! If anymore are seen, I'll happily make the necessary change(s).

Edit:
    I have just thought of a suggestion. Someone could post somewhere a list of certain things, like the plants, and nothing else, and then the owner of this club could edit the first page with links to them. It could also be used to do the "Phrase of the moment" things in. Just a suggestion
    I didn't see that, but that's what I was thinking. Except, I'd like to be the one to post the official ones, if you don't mind. That way I can edit them freely (I'll give credit, though). Good Suggestion, Kez.

I have a question, though. "the owner": *sniff* don't you remember my name? ...
    Last edited by LegendaryArcanine; 24th September 2006 at 7:14 PM.

Owner of the Japanese Language Club
    Loyal Member of the Arcanine/Growlithe Club
    Co-Owner of the Legendary Trio Pokemon Club
    Arcanine's Blaze Forums: Another Fun Place to Be

[QUOTE=LegendaryArcanine;4327657]

Angel-FoX: Are you talking about enabling your computer to type japanese, or are you looking for a program specifically for japanese stuff? I have Windows XP and enabled it so I can type japanese at anytime, anywhere. Too bad the forums still aren't formatted for the extra characters... Anyways, if you clarify that, I'm sure we can help you out.

Yeah thats it basically just typing text so I can type words and names in japanese as it would be handy for my Games design course.

I'll tell you all about the Japanese input system. The Japanese word input system lets you type nearly everywhere in Japanese. I haven't found a place on my computer where it doesn't work. Unfortunately it doesn't show up in every place like on SPPf.

When you type something in English, the syllables, if they have Japanese equivelants, they'll become them. And when you finish a word and all the letters have turned into kana, you can access a little menu where you can turn the entire word into kanji.

My favorite feature is the kanji finding applet. You get to draw a kanji and they'll try to match it up for you. No internet connection required for this program. And you can also deKanji kanji to make it into kana so you can read it.
    It's pwnsome

The only problem is after you're done writing in Japanese, switching back to English can be a pain. It's possible but it takes a little patience. You have to click on the English and then see if your fonts returned to English and all that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I was wondering, is nakayoshi used often when refering to good friends? Or do people usually just say o-tomodachi when talking about their close friends?

Hmm, another word not used. Ah, Ningyo means both doll and mermaid (with different kanji of course) and the literal translation in the case of mermaid is "person fish"
    O is a partical that gives honer to the other person.
    Friend code:1418-6735-6666 BulletMan
    Friend Safari: Bug
    Searching for: Think Fat Mamoswine, Technician Breloom

Sunji no Hitokoto

("Word of the Moment")

Here is a compilation of all/most of the sunji no hitokoto that members have contributed while posting here at the Japanese Language Club. As more posts are added, this list will be updated occasionally. Thank you, everyone, and I hope you enjoy reading through them!

“ame” = “rain”
    “ane” = “older sister”, Note: used when speaking of your own family
    “ani” = “older brother”, Note: used when speaking of your own family
    “ao” = “blue”
    “arigatou gozaimasu” = “thank you”
    “arigatou” = “thanks”
    “asa” = “morning”
    “atsui” = “hot”
    “Bashaamo” = “Blaziken”
    “buuka” = “pig”
    “chichi” = “father”, Note: used when speaking of your own family
    “dakishimeru” = “to embrace”
    “dame” = “no use” or “useless”, Note: in colloquial terms... it's often written in katakana, but sometimes (like in the Pokemon games) it's in hiragana.
    “doku” = “poison”
    “doubutsu” = “animals”
    “doumo arigatou gozaimasu” = “thank you very much”
    “eien” = “forever” or “eternal”
    “eiga” = “movie”
    “eigo” = “english” (as in the language), Note: “-go” part shows that it involves language concepts
    “en” = “yen”, Note: Japanese currency
    “ga” = “moth”.
    “gakka” = “lesson” (as in schooling)
    “gakusei” = “student”
    “gensou” = “fantasy”
    “gohan” = “cooked rice”
    “haha” = “mother”, Note: used when speaking of your own family
    “hai” = “yes”
    “hajimari” = “beginning”
    “hana” = “flower” or “nose”
    “hare” = “clear weather”
    “haruka” = “far away”, “feathers”, “perfume”, “long distance”, and possibly “flower of eternity”
    “hidoi” = “terrible”
    “hikari” = “light”
    “hikaru” = “to shine” or “to be bright”
    “hikui” = “short”
    “himitsu” = “secret”, Note: “himitsu” is more commonly used than “naisho”
    “hizashi ga tsuyoi” = strong sunlight”
    “hon” = “book”
    “hoshi” = “star”
    “imouto” = “younger sister”, Note: used when speaking of your own family
    “inu” = “dog”
    “itoko” = “cousin”
    “ka” = “mosquito”
    “kagikakko” = japanese quotation marks, [...]
    “kame” = “turtle”
    “karasu” = “crow”
    “kasumi” = “mist”
    “kikimasu” = “listen”
    “kiri” = “fog”
    “kodomo” = “children” / “child”
    “koibito” = “lover”
    “kokoro” = “heart”
    “konoha” = “leaf” or “foliage”
    “koori” = “ice”
    “kukkii” = “cookie(s)”
    “kumo” = “spider”
    “kumori” = “cloudy weather”
    “kyoudai” = “sibling”
    “mago” = “grandchild”
    “maru” = “circle” / “round” / the little circles used on some japanese characters (for example, they can turn “ha” into “pa”)
    “miru” = “to look at” / “to view”
    “mizu” = “water”
    “moshikashitara” = “maybe”
    “naisho” = “secret”
    “neko” = “cat”
    “nihongo” = “japanese” (the language), Note “Nihon” means Japan and the “go” refers to it as a language
    “ningyo” = “doll” or “mermaid” / “merman”
    “nomimasu” = “drink”
    “nya” = “meow”
    “oba” = “aunt”, Note: used when speaking of your own family
    “oji” = “uncle”, Note: used when speaking of your own family
    “ookii” = “big” or “great”
    “otouto” = “younger brother”, Note: used when speaking of your own family
    “otto” = “husband”, Note: used when speaking of your own family
    “oya” = “parents”
    “oyasumi” = “good night”
    “ryu” = “dragon”
    “ryuusei” = “falling star”
    “saru” = “monkey”
    “seiten” = “fine weather”
    “seiu” = “rain or shine” (weather)
    “seiun” = “nebula” or “galaxy”
    “sennyo” = “fairy”, Note: “yousei” is more commonly used
    “shabondama” = “soap bubble”
    “shikata” = “way” or “method”, Note: You'll be seeing this word a lot in games
    “shimai” = “sister”
    “shisei” or “seijou” = describing one's nature
    “shishi” = “lion”
    “shizen = “nature” (noun)
    “shokubutsu” = “plants”
    “shumi” = “hobby”
    “soba” = “grandmother”, Note: used when speaking of your own family
    “sofu” = “grandfather”, Note: used when speaking of your own family
    “sora” = “sky”
    “tabemasu” = “eat”
    “tada” = “free” (of charge)
    “take” = “bamboo”
    “te” = “hand”
    “tenkai” = “heaven”
    “tenshi” = “angel”
    “tenten” = the little double dashes used on some japanese characters (for example, they can turn “sa” into “za”)
    “tomodachi” = “friend”
    “tonimo kakunimo” = “anyway”, Note: “tomokaku” and “tonikaku” have similar meanings
    “toshi” = “year”
    “totemo” = “very”
    “tsubasa” = “wing”
    “tsukikage” = “moonlight”
    “tsuma” = “wife”, Note: used when speaking of your own family
    “umi” = “ocean”
    “uten” = “rainy weather”
    “yama” = “mountain”
    “yami” = “darkness”
    “yokoso” = “welcome”
    “yousei” = “fairy”
    “yuki” = “snow”
    “yuurei” = “ghost”
    “zannen” = “too bad” (something to that effect)
    Last edited by LegendaryArcanine; 26th September 2006 at 6:26 AM.

Edamame: I remember Nintendo Power mentioning the japanese title for Brain Age (or whatever). I'd like to see someone here say "Touhoku daigaku mirai kagaku gijutsu kyoudou kenkyuu sentaa kawashima ryuuta kyouju kanshuu motto nou wo kitaeru otona no DS toreiningu" five times fast! Of course, I'd like to be able to say it ONE time fast.
    Damn. Longest. Video game title. EVER, na no nya!XD

Revolution FC: 2620-9865-4149

LegandaryArcanine, I am sorry, it is just that I was not sure of your name. Can I camm you LA? It is just much easier than typing it all out.

I am glad that you like my idea, I was just thinking. I like how you set the words out also. lol.

Right, I have another little lesson for you. If you want to make a question in japanese, you can make a state ment using the "(A) is (B)" format, which for those who have forgotten is "(A) wa (B) desu", and then just add "ka" onto the end. Example:
    Watashi wa kawaii desu
    I am cute.

Watashi wa kawaii desu ka
    Am I cute?

Simple enough isnt it?

Remember, with verbs, tabemasu and nomimasu aren't the only forms of the verbs. There's the dictionary form, taberu.....
    yup I think it's time
    taberu - to eat
    tabeta (is this supposed to have a double T) ate
    tabenai - to not eat
    tabenakatta - didn't eat
    Warning - above positive past ending doesn't apply to verbs that dont end in Ru as their dictionary form

more advanced

tabenasai - eat! (command form)
    [BAD WORD]
    tabetai - I want to eat
    tabeyasui - easy to eat
    tabenikui - hard to eat
    tabeyou - let's eat
    tabetara - if I eat (if I do this, something happens/will happen)
    tabereba - could you possibly eat?
    tabenaide - Dont eat!
    tabete kudasai - please eat (polite)
    tabesaserareru - to be forced to eat
    taberareru - can eat (the ability to)
    It's easier than it looks, people

the polite form, masu
    tabemasu - to eat
    tabemasen - to not eat
    tabemashi-ta - ate (stuck the dash in there so the censor wouldn't go off)
    tabemasendeshi-ta - didn't eat

Thinking and opinions
    English - I think Misty's pretty
    Japanese - Kasumi wa kirei to omoimasu
    explanation - "to omoimasu" is used to show opinion. It can be changed to "omoimasen" (dont think), "omoimash-ita" (thought) and "omoimasendesh-ita", didn't think.
    The same technique can be used for saying what you think will happen.
    and yes, omou means "to think"

Hope I helped. And fyi, I know 90% of what I typed
    correct me if I'm wrong and tell me if I'm missing some stuff
    Last edited by Crystal Clair; 30th September 2006 at 5:12 PM.

O...M...GO..LLY!!!
    That seems so complicated. I never knew that there were so many extensions to verbs. I thought that there was just past, present and negative, god, was I wrong. lol

Where did you learn all of these? Can it be applied to all verbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Pika Hikari KT View Post
    [bad word] Longest. Video game title. EVER, na no nya!XD
    I would like to remind you, Pika Hikari KT, that swearing is not appreciated here. I know some people don't count that, but I do. So, I'll let you off with just this message, but if you do it again, I'll have to use fire blast against you...

P.S. I'll have to respond to other stuff later, but I wanted to get that out of the way, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryArcanine View Post
    I would like to remind you, Pika Hikari KT, that swearing is not appreciated here. I know some people don't count that, but I do. So, I'll let you off with just this message, but if you do it again, I'll have to use fire blast against you...

P.S. I'll have to respond to other stuff later, but I wanted to get that out of the way, sorry.
    Hmm, translating is really going to be a problem in that case as there are lots of words that more or less translate to include that word considering light swearing isn't as big a deal in Japan as it is here. I mean, I could understand the harder words but we at least need to make a censoredish version of it for translation use as there has already been a few words I think that have included that. Also, most people (including me) don't consider d*** and h*** as actual swears so you might want to clear that up in the main rules so more people don't inadvertantly break the rules.
    Last edited by Mira; 25th September 2006 at 2:14 AM.
    I play Japanese versions and use Dream World.

B/W: Mira ~ 4383 7570 5272

"Touhoku daigaku mirai kagaku gijutsu kyoudou kenkyuu sentaa kawashima ryuuta kyouju kanshuu motto nou wo kitaeru otona no DS toreiningu"
    w00t! I finished that in under a minute!
    Not gonna be that easy with Kana though...

About the "On" and "Kun" reading for Kanji, how do they work? I mean, like, for "water", when do I use "Mizu" and when do I use "Sui"? (Water is just an example)
    By the way, LA, do you know you put "mizu" in your list twice?

Sunji no Hitokoto
    "Suna" means sand.
    Check here for my Gijinka Project. (Alright, so I'm not good with advertising, is that such a big problem?)
    Check here for my comic series, Fettuccine and Friends. (Well, at least I'm trying to advertise.)

I have always wondered how the different kanji reading work. I just do not understand when you are supposed to use them. Also, do all of the kanji have just 2 readings, or do some have more?

Umm... May I join?
    It feels like everybody here is studying japanese. O_o;;

It feels like everybody here is studying japanese. O_o;;
    Yes, we all are. Except Edamame. He's lika a junior sensei or something.
    Welcome.

Sunji no Hitokoto
    "Nijuuichi" means 21.
    Check here for my Gijinka Project. (Alright, so I'm not good with advertising, is that such a big problem?)
    Check here for my comic series, Fettuccine and Friends. (Well, at least I'm trying to advertise.)

Oh noes. I feel kinda... retarded. I don't know anything! ;__;
    I guess I'll have to look at the Teach-yourself-japanese-sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Kez View Post
    I have always wondered how the different kanji reading work. I just do not understand when you are supposed to use them. Also, do all of the kanji have just 2 readings, or do some have more?
    I don't think all kanji have 2 pronunciation/romanji or more... But there are some that do have more. For example, "[flash of] lightning" has three (technically four depending on how you look at it) romaji - "inazuma," "inaduma"/"inadzuma," and "inabikari".

EDIT:
    Ahhh, stupid me... I misread the question... You are probably referring to the on'yomi and kun'yomi. In that case, Wikipedia is God.

--sunji no hitokoto--
    "Makeru" is "to lose," iirc.
    Last edited by Sonozaki Maya; 25th September 2006 at 1:52 PM.

SONG OF ANARCHY
    onii-chan, where are you?
    steam || ustream || youtube

Oh my god. Was it smart of me to join this club?

Page 10 of 96 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast