Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Language Club

I'll use some of those links. All I have right now is my Japanese/English Dictionary, which is fun to use. =D

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

I'm still trying to find one of those (in paper form) . I do have a special phrase book thingy, though.

Word of the Moment
    "Inu" means "dog"

Owner of the Japanese Language Club
    Loyal Member of the Arcanine/Growlithe Club
    Co-Owner of the Legendary Trio Pokemon Club
    Arcanine's Blaze Forums: Another Fun Place to Be

I'm kinda new to Japanese. I can read Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji. (Some of it. For others, there has to be those little Hiragana characters beside/above it.)

I understand vaguely how Japanese grammar works, though not completely. My vocabulary is still pretty small.

So can I join?

I'm part Chinese so it's fairly easy for me to understand Kanji. Reading it is another thing.

Oooo, can I do a phase of the moment?
    "Kame wa kami da."
    Turtle is god!
    *Still not very sure about Japanese grammar. Correct any mistakes if you spot them.*
    Check here for my Gijinka Project. (Alright, so I'm not good with advertising, is that such a big problem?)
    Check here for my comic series, Fettuccine and Friends. (Well, at least I'm trying to advertise.)

^About your phase of the moment, You could add "Sama" to the end of "Kami", Because Sama is a word used to show great respect to that person, Or kame in this case.^_^;

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryArcanine View Post
    WARNING: I like to type... A LOT!

Alright, Flareon, you're now "officialized"! Thanks for joining the Japanese Lanuage Club! Mother = haha, right . Someone asked me how to say mother and they cracked up when I told them. I'm no expert at pronuciation, so, it was sorda a funny conversation, but they understood what I meant.

You sure can join, Angel-FoX-crescent! Is there a nickname you like to go by? Anyways, what games do you like to play most? I like to sometimes set the game language setting to japanese and see if there's any differences.

You're welcome! I'm looking forward to having a great time here. What topic? I'll get to that at the end of this post. Don't worry, you're almost there!

Crystal Clair:
    Congradulations, Cystal Clair, you're a new member to the Japanese Lanuage Club! I have this computer set to type japanese and stuff, too. Too bad the forums isn't currently supporting it . To everyone else: I'll be adding some stuff on how to set up your computer to type japanese, too (if not already). Of course, it's usually best to learn some of the basics of the language before you get started on that.
    That's a great example you got there, too! That's probably what we'll have to do here until (hopefully) the database is reformatted or whatever. Plus, there's the romanji. Thanks!
    Also, I've never been to the PokeCommunity, but I'll let you know this club is going to be lots of fun! If you start to get bored, just post a message with your opinion or better: PM me. I'm going to try to make sure this club is fun for everyone!

Now down to club news!

I'll being taking suggestions to what everyone wants to do here, as will the co-owners. If you have any ideas of stuff you'd like to learn or do, just post a reply or you can even PM me. I already have some ideas posted at the front, and one of them is about visitors. I am hoping to build up enough so that visitors will know this here and they can pop in and ask for translation requests. If you don't know what in the world to say, that's O.K. Someone should be able to help them soon after. Rember, this club is open to members from any background! No knowledge required

On-going Discussion topic:
    O.K. First off, if everyone likes the idea, there'll be an ongoing activiity that works along these lines: To help those who are new to language (or help keep the rest of us sharp), those who would like to could have a word at the bottom of their post and each time they post (when they have time) can tell a word in japanese (using romanji) and tell what it means and stuff. You can just look something up in the dictionary (freedict.com is listed above) if you want even! That might sound confusin, but I'll hopefully explain it better soon.

First Discussion topic:
    O.K. This will be our first active topic. You don't have to respond to all of the questions, though! If you don't know what to say, try and look it up. If that doesn't suit you, try asking questions! Remember, I'm taking requests on what you'd like to do here, too. I hope you like it!

What does "sumimasen" mean? When do you use it? Have you ever seen it in use?

Good Luck!

Word of the Moment
    Ookii: Means "big" or "great".
    Thank you kindly and call me Angel-FoX.
    Iam also a new games design student at uni which I am gonna start next week and I plan to get a japanese text progame so I can understand it in the mean time I'll get a book.

o_o There was bound to be a club like this sometime... Well, I guess I will join.

My knowledge of Japanese is not... wide, but I can read hiragana and katakana easily, and I know quite a bit of kanji, well, at least, the meaning. Mainly because I can integrate my Chinese knowledge with Kanji of Japanese. I can write a lot of kanji, and at times, I end up "write-speaking" with Japanese friends of mine (IRL). That being said...

If I may, "sumimasen," is more of a phrase use in the "excuse me," sort of sense. There are variations of the pronunciation, one of them being "suimasen" (expulsion of mi in favor of just the i). I see it being use quite often, and the other times I see it often are in import games I play (Tales of the Abyss uses "sumimasen" quite often).

SONG OF ANARCHY
    onii-chan, where are you?
    steam || ustream || youtube

When I was in Japan once, in a store a guy was in a hurry, and he squeezed in between the shelf and my back and he said sumimasen. ;>> So how do people usually say sorry to strangers, sumimasen or gomennasai?
    Last edited by Bashaamo; 16th September 2006 at 5:30 AM.

(.twins // WiggleTuff.) (.paint twins // Locke-Kefka.)
    (.a friend to 17 members.) (.pm me to be friends.)
    (.shop - open.)
    (.ac:ww friend code - 3264-9551-5041 // pm me to visit.)
    (.img (c) aethereality.net, edited by me.)

^I think it's Sumimasen.

Smile Hi, everyone!

I'm so glad people like it here . I'm going to respond to some posts, but I think a few new ones got posted "behind" some others due to some forum problem 22 or so hours ago. So, they're newer than than they were posted.

Jinchuuriki Hunter:
    Welcome to the club! Aren't those little hiragana being written next to some kanji called ruby or something like that? I haven't looked too much into it yet, but I have seen it a lot. Also, you're always welcome to (if not, encouraged) to include a word/phrase of the moment ! After we all do up enough total, I'll be putting them into a single post and linking it to the front, so, post away!

Hikui:
    You sure can join! I'm glad you're so willing to help, too! Hopefully we'll be getting some translation requests soon! I hope you enjoy it here!

Quote Originally Posted by Polyphonica Trance View Post
    o_o There was bound to be a club like this sometime... Well, I guess I will join.
    You "guess". Hmm...
    O.K. You're in! You really know your stuff, too. What does IRL mean, though? Anyways, I hope you enjoy it here! If you ever have a suggestion or get bored, you're welcome to post here or PM me!

Thanks for joining everyone! I'll be adding a quick edit in a little bit with some news and maybe a new topic . So, stay tuned!

Edit:

Club News
    Hi everyone! It's been just a few days and the club's at a great start! We've gotten over 10 members and it looks like everyone really does enjoy learning/using japanese. I'm looking forward to some activities I have planned and I hope you'll like them, too! One activity will involve our discussions of japanese audio/captions in movies and games . Remember, if you have any questions, don't be shy in asking! Ideas and requests can be posted here, too; or, if you would rather, you can even PM me, Haruka, or Mega Trickster and we'll get right with you! Now on to our new discussion!

New Discussion Topic
    Do you ever play games set to "Japanese" in their language settings or any that have been imported? Do you notice any differences? Do like playing them in japanese?

You don't have to answer the questions specifically or in any specific order. This is really just to get the discussion going. I know some of you have already mentioned doing so, but now you can share your experiences, talk about what all you notice, what you like/dislike about it, etc. Have fun!

Word of the Moment:
    "Neko" means cat .
    Last edited by LegendaryArcanine; 16th September 2006 at 8:59 AM.

Do you ever play games set to "Japanese" in their language settings or any that have been imported? Do you notice any differences? Do like playing them in japanese?
    The current list of import games I need to finish:
    Tales of the Abyss <-- well, stateside version is coming out soon...
    Ar Tonelico <-- meh, there's gonna be plans for it iirc...
    Rasetsu -Alternative- <-- this is one awesome game, you can make your name in Kanji! Something most import games don't normally do. (My character name is Suisen, or Water Flash in English)

Most of the time, the Japanese import games tend to implement jokes.

I only make Language/Voice option to Japanese once I've beaten the game already. This only applies to NIS America games that have this option, ie. Disgaea 1/2, MK, etc.

For the information, IRL stands for In Real Life.

The little hiragana written either above (newspapers/some games, an example being the Wild Arms series)) or next to (manga/doujin) kanji is called Furigana. Ruby is a type of scripting engine, lmao.

--my own word of moment--
    [neh, hopefully I don't get shot x3]
    "Shikata" means "way" or "method". You'll be seeing this word a LOT in games, trust me. ^_~

SONG OF ANARCHY

Well, I have this one game but it's stuck on Japanese, meaning that's the only language set for it. It's called Naruto Narutematte Hero 3 and it's pretty fun.

So they're called Furigana. Great.

Word of the moment:
    "Mizu" = Water
    Check here for my Gijinka Project. (Alright, so I'm not good with advertising, is that such a big problem?)
    Check here for my comic series, Fettuccine and Friends. (Well, at least I'm trying to advertise.)

T-T No, I still need to work on reading. I do better in speaking the language, because in the language I know (Other than English, duh) they speak vowels the same way and everything, which makes it way easier for me. ;>>
    Word of the moment:
    "Bashaamo" means Blaziken. xD J/k. "Hikaru" means Light.

(.shop - open.)

Eh... Hikari is more common usage for "Light," as a name and a noun... Hikaru is a verb for "shine," using the kanji of hikari (kou)...

Phrase of the moment:

"Kakatte koi!" ~ a taunt often used to connote the meaning of, "Bring it on!"

SONG OF ANARCHY

Yeah, Yoshi Story and my entire DS. They had that option.
    There's no difference but because it's unreadable in Yoshi story, it seems cooler. And when people look at my ds, they're like "you know Japanese!?" And I'm like "yeah, so what"

Quote Originally Posted by Polyphonica Trance View Post
    Eh... Hikari is more common usage for "Light," as a name and a noun... Hikaru is a verb for "shine," using the kanji of hikari (kou)...

Phrase of the moment:

"Kakatte koi!" ~ a taunt often used to connote the meaning of, "Bring it on!"
    That one word in my post was a typo. ;>>
    Word of the moment:
    "Hidoi" means terrible.

(.shop - open.)

Mmm. It's still a Japanese word nonetheless, so don't feel too bummed. XD Hidoi also means cruel, if that says anything. And at school, when they see my Japanese scribblings, they're all shocked as well... :x They ask me, "how do you know Japanese?!?!" >_< It is so annoying, why do they care x(

--word of the moment--
    Oyasumi is a word for 'good night.'

I would've put something more interesting, but I have to go... to... somewhere. Yeah. Night all! X3

SONG OF ANARCHY

Do you ever play games set to "Japanese" in their languge settings or any that have been imported? Do you notice any differences? Do you like playing them in japanese?
    Yes, I have some imported games and some games i can put on japanese, I know alot of japanese so i always put games on japanese if they can!
    Polyphonica Trance, I think it's "Oyasuminasai" That means good night.
    Phase of the moment!
    "Tsubasa" means wing.
    Last edited by Haruka; 16th September 2006 at 5:29 PM.

Do you ever play games set to "Japanese" in their languge settings or any that have been imported? Do you notice any differences? Do you like playing them in japanese?

Yep I sure did. But only on my RPG games and Sonic games. And Yes I liked playing it in japanese. Its really fun^^. I did notice some difference when I did it. But I really wanna try to play the Japanese veriosn of Tales of Symphonia for the PS2 XD.
    .::Signature is being remodel::.

Hi, everyone! Lol, thanks for the info, Polyphonica Trance. You might notice later that sometimes I don't know a lot of those abbreviations and stuff or just type wrong info (especially when I'm tired ), and I don't know why I said "ruby". Either way, thanks for the info! I'm open to corrections when you see them, I don't mind . It's great to see everyone taking well to any corrections made (:. Also, to those who know the language more than others, you're helping a lot to help balance the club out so everyone can enjoy their time here!

I'm happy to see all the great "moment" phrase/words! I think it'll help a lot of us work towards learning the language better and just have fun in the process. I'll be making a list sometime with all of them together, so great job!

Now back to the discussion:

I really like playing Super Smash Bros. Melee with Japanese! Some minor differences are the character names will have their japanese names (like Jigglypuff will be Purin). Also, you may notice that in the trophy area, the system names are changed to their japanese counterparts (like the Famicon, instead of NES). There's several differences, which a reason why I like playing it in japanese .

Pop Quiz!
    What does Jigglypuff's name mean in japanese? Hint: It involves food...

Word of the Moment
    "Yama" means mountain.

^Oh! Oh! I know the Pop quiz answer! It means "Pudding" or "Custard", I'm i right?
    Last edited by Haruka; 16th September 2006 at 6:56 PM.

Ding! Ding! Ding!
    That's right Haruka! I've read about both of those answers and I even have something that says "creme caramel". Now what should your prize be? Hmm... I know! How about I make you a co-owner . Way to go, Haruka!

I'm actually going to try and think of something where stuff like pop quizzes may give you points or something. I'll let you all know when I decide!

Word of the Moment
    "Haruka" means far away / distant. <- Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Hi, everyone! Lol, thanks for the info, Polyphonica Trance. You might notice later that sometimes I don't know a lot of those abbreviations and stuff or just type wrong info (especially when I'm tired ), and I don't know why I said "ruby". Either way, thanks for the info! I'm open to corrections when you see them, I don't mind . It's great to see everyone taking well to any corrections made (:. Also, to those who know the language more than others, you're helping a lot to help balance the club out so everyone can enjoy their time here!

I'm happy to see all the great "moment" phrase/words! I think it'll help a lot of us work towards learning the language better and just have fun in the process. I'll be making a list sometime with all of them together, so great job!

Now back to the discussion:

I really like playing Super Smash Bros. Melee with Japanese! Some minor differences are the character names will have their japanese names (like Jigglypuff will be Purin). Also, you may notice that in the trophy area, the system names are changed to their japanese counterparts (like the Famicon, instead of NES). There's several differences, which a reason why I like playing it in japanese .

Pop Quiz!
    What does Jigglypuff's name mean in japanese? Hint: It involves food...

Word of the Moment
    "Yama" means mountain.

Oh I tried that in SSBM too. Instead of Bower it went Koopa XD. As for Jigglypuff name, I think its either puff ball, Pudding or Custard. Hey Lets see if you guys can figure it out what Ichigo means^^

And Haruka means feathers, perfume, long distance, possibly means flower of eternity
    Last edited by Shadow Ichigo; 16th September 2006 at 7:14 PM.
    .::Signature is being remodel::.

Smile Shadow Ichigo

O.K. Here's my attempt

I looked it up and what I came up with was either "one word" (with ichi- meaning "one" and the -go referring to language stuff) or "strawberry". Hmmm... I'm sure there could be more, but based off this, you're name comes out to either something like the shadow word/one word of the shadow or Shadow Strawberry . I don't what the answer is for sure, but "Shadow Strawberry" sure does sound funny! (sorry)

In the process, I found a really neat site called Ichigo's Sheet Music: http://ichigos.com. Whether I guessed it right or not, I'm glad you asked us, Shadow Ichigo. Thanks!

Edit: Oh, I forgot to say thanks for the extension of the meaning of haruka. Thanks!

Ding! Ding! Ding!
    That's right Haruka! I've read about both of those answers and I even have something that says "creme caramel". Now what should your prize be? Hmm... I know! How about I make you a co-owner . Way to go, Haruka!
    Yay! But about the prize, I'm already Co-Owner!
    Word of the moment!
    "Umi" means ocean.

Smile Yum

LOL. Oh... really . I guess you don't get a prize then...

Word of the Moment
    "Kukkii" means cookie(s)!

Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast