Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Following a Maiden Voyage! (469)

The start of D/P was great. Dawn wasn't really ready for that.

And i loved that Ash got little screentime. great.

9/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

I loved this episode. Great start to a great series.

I am re-watching the DP Series again so expect me to review most of the DP episodes :]

I thought that the episode was a very good way to start off the DP series, I think that the writers didn't rush it like a lot of the first DP episodes. I liked Piplup in this episode, it was cute. I loved when Staraptor was flying with Chimchar in its talons, it was a cute moment. I hated when Dawn asked Aridos to stop though, it's a Pokemon that is trying to kill you and eat you, YOU DON'T ASK IT TO STOP.

9/A-

---------- join ever grande city, a fun and new pokemon forum!! // tumblr

Mr. Joker- They always do that, Ash and co constantly tell TR to stop and act like that TR does not know what they are doing is wrong (Hello they are the bad guys, they don't care if that Pokemon belongs to someone, that's the point of stealing!).

Anyways not a bad start off with Sinnoh, I like how it was mostly centered around Dawn and she didn't met Ash until the third episode. It was funny how she walked into that building and was like "Here I am!" lol.

Rowan looked quite strict really. I felt sorry for that Turtwig, when Rowan's assissant announced that Chimchar and Piplup took off along with Starapator he gave Turtwig a glare what was that? He didn't do anything, I bet Turtwig was like "I should have gone with them".

Not a big fan of Johanna either, mostly because when Dawn lost (or won whichever) a contest of her own she was like "Don't come calling to me everytime you lost and won!" What was that? Not a very nice mother if she could care less if Dawn lost or won.

Dawn's and Piplup's relationship did start off like Ash, Dawn even imagined releasing each Pokemon like Ash had done (Only she didn't sleep in). It was nice for them to get along soon but Piplup is sure stubborn. The look on Chimchar's face when it was being carried by Staraptor was right.

Dawn was smart when she managed to trick Ariados, good episode.
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

Ever since Dawn finished the Grand Festival, I've rewatched almost all of these episodes. Maybe for future reference or a laugh, I'll put down the things that really struck me.
    Okay.

This episode is Dawn's intro. When I first watched this, I was pretty entertained seeing Dawn's background and then her rescue of Piplup from the Ariados. Now, not so much, since this episode has been referred to (as in, the Ariados attacking Dawn and Piplup using bide) twice later on in the diamond and pearl series.
    One of the things about Dawn that I think writers have tried to balance is her being very similar to Ash vs. her being a starting coordinator, who has doubts about her ability and feels pressure (which, if Ash does feel that way, he doesn't show it too often- maybe he expresses it differently by being more reckless). This episode focuses more on her similarity to Ash in the way she goes alone into the forest, w/o any pokemon protection, to try to recover the runaway pokemon.

With serious analysis aside, there are 2 parts I particularly enjoy about this episode:
    1) Dawn lost in the town, trying to find Professor Rowan
    2)Team Rocket's blastoff in their balloon. Writers have to find some way to make it happen since Ash does not have a flying type Pokemon with him, and they do an okay job.

Now that the Sinnoh League has begun and BW is on the horizon, I have somehow managed to come and look back at the very first episode of DP. Not a bad episode for kicking off a whole new saga. Some parts such as Dawn getting lost on the way to Prof. Rowan's pokemon lab and the Mesprit were very nice and quite enjoyable. And I LOLed at how Turtwig just sat there eating while all that chaos was going on.

I truly enjoyed this episode. Seeing how similar Dawn's beginning was to Ash's made it feel special.

If you rooted for Dawn during A Grand Fight For Winning even though you knew she'd lose, then copy and paste this in your signature.

This was my least fav first episode of a region buhhh but it was nice still (almost all the ep. was dedicated to Dawn? o_O') then Ash appears at the tail-end and Pikachu got blasted off, always something happens to him at the start of a saga, hahaha! xD at it was cool Ash bri... Aipom followed him!

9/10

What is this mysterious land I'm apparently treading?

Who is this strange girl I've never seen before?

Who are these three monsters that I've never met?

I must have wondered into the wrong anime, somehow.
    Might as well turn around and go ho-
    Oh, hey, Ash! I was wondering when I'd see you again! I was beginning to think this was the wrong show I wandered into. But, nope, It's the right one.

Welcome to the Sinnoh region, everyone!
    It's going to be a crazy good time! I can feel it!
    Alpha Sapphire Hoenn League champions
    * - Going mega

Claimed by me!

Sinnoh adventures would be the best.... I knew it when I saw this episode

This episode was ok... It was cool to see Dawn for the 1st time, and to have an early episode centering around her. Dawn's mother is really cool. It was great to see Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup for the 1st time. It was cool to see Glameow for the 1st time owned by her mother. It was great to see that Dawn will be traveling with a GL contest ribbon from her mother. Interesting how Dawn actually knows right away that she wants to do contests. Interesting that Turtwig stays and is unaware while Piplup and Chimchar escape. It was cool to see Bide for the 1st time, used by Piplup to save Dawn.

40/100

This was a very different episode. Almost completely focused on Dawn, yet another new trainer, while Ash doesn't appear until the end.

Unlike May, Dawn was a more idealistic girl who already knew what she wanted to do. And she saved and sorta bonded with Piplup, so she also knew who she wanted to start with (not really so before that)

A nice start overall to a very good series.

I rewatched this today after a pretty long while; and it was an amazing experience. When I reviewed this earlier, I was somewhat "bored"; it was Sinnoh League time, and I was well versed in all the nuances of this series, and the general trends of the region. But getting away from it (and into the BW universe) and coming back with a fresh mind....I see that I really didn't give this episode the credit it deserves. The way it refers to Ash's first episode is so subtle, that you don't catch that's what the writers are going for until about 2/3 of the way into the episode. It's really nice.

Ash's appearance at the end....I guess what I found so interesting about it is that, I can just imagine what someone, who's just started out Pokemon and using this as their first episode, would be thinking when that scene came: Who is this guy? That's the way Paul enters in the very next episode, the mystery rival. But the way Ash enters at the end of this episode...he really feels like the mystery hero, for the same reason. The irony of the episode, though, is that Dawn's adventure is complete retell of Ash's first adventure. So if a new viewer were to ask who is Ash, then a more seasoned viewer could say, "You just saw who he was. You just didn't know it." That's really cool.

It is odd that Ash didn't appear till the very end.

In the first BW episode, Iris only gets what...1 minute of screentime? And the rest is all Ash.

Although a good chunk of Hoenn's first ep was about May too, but not to the same degree as this.

I was actually planning on rewatching DP again starting with this episode. When it first aired I was like, "it was okay" I was neutral towards it and Dawn/Piplup in general but I liked how she had the whole episode bar the tail end to herself. Looking at the series I don't think we'll ever get a episode like this again.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    I was actually planning on rewatching DP again starting with this episode. When it first aired I was like, "it was okay" I was neutral towards it and Dawn/Piplup in general but I liked how she had the whole episode bar the tail end to herself. Looking at the series I don't think we'll ever get a episode like this again.
    Depends if they ever do a co-star again, or not.

Anyway its pretty funny that at DP's start people thought Dawn was going to get more screentime than Ash because of eps like this.

I think it's great that Dawn had the whole episode. It was kind of annoying in the other first episodes because you knew little about them when they first met up with ash.

Notice it says most people like me.

No you may not have my autograph.

Spoiler:- Credits:

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this in your signature.

It was nice to see alot of Sinnoh Pokemon in this episode(Duh). At this point I liked Dawn but near the middle of the series I started to HATE her soo much. Cool not to see Ash for a while though. Rowan sounds scary 0_0

7/10

pokemon shows are sooo cool
    CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

Dawn should have taken Turtwig.

Just kidding. After all THAT it was obvious she wanted Piplup. n_n
    Last edited by The sandwich; 7th August 2011 at 4:46 AM.

I love this episode. I like how most of the episode was focused on Dawn while Ash only got a few minutes of screen time.

@cybercubed: Do you think there's any chance of any new female characters getting the co-star role like Dawn?
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Didn't really like this episode. It focused too much on Dawn. Come on people, the main character is Ash! Not Dawn. I was afraid she was going to replace him as the main character. (okay not really, but still.) O_o

6/10
    Last edited by BurningSociety12345543210; 9th June 2012 at 9:53 PM.

I just saw this episode a few days ago for the first time.

Subbed none the less.

I really enjoyed the change of pace that was Ash's absence for the larger part of the episode.

It would have been nice if this was testing the notion of replacing Ash, even though it didn't turn out that way/

Also highlights the refreshing change Hikari is from Haruka.

Quote Originally Posted by Elekible-Kid View Post
    I just saw this episode a few days ago for the first time.
    It took you this long to watch the first DP episode? This ep debuted back in 2006 for goodness sakes.

I really enjoyed the change of pace that was Ash's absence for the larger part of the episode.

It would have been nice if this was testing the notion of replacing Ash, even though it didn't turn out that way/
    I doubt they had any plans of dropping Ash. It was done simply to show Dawn's higher level of importance than past travel companions.

I just saw this episode lol Dawn & Piplup are perfect for each other I love their friendship it's so cute! & how Dawn wanted to save it from the araidos.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast