Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Myths and Legends: The One shot contest! - CLOSED

Post Myths and Legends: The One shot contest! - CLOSED

Check the questions part of this thread, there is a new section regarding the judges and how all entrants to this contest can come vote for us as well

[/edit] The Deadline has had it's final extend. If you want more time after this I'm afraid you're screwed.

Myths and Legends: One shot contest!

Weeeeell people have been saying I don’t do much and I have admittedly been helping covering in D/P for the past few weeks but I have also been plotting while over there. So the result being, a brand new One shot Contest!

This is a Pokemon based contest, I apologise to all those who were hoping this would be a mix, I’ll see if I can wrangle something you may also enjoy so you won’t feel left out.

I am likely to either link or create fresh one shots of my own purely because I can in relation to this topic. They are NOT entries but can be used as a possible idea starting point for your own.

---
    An extra week has been added on request. NO FURTHER DEADLINE EXTENSIONS ARE HAPPENING.

DEADLINE IS 11th MARCH 2007

Theme:

The theme for this contest is the myths and legends surrounding the Pokemon world. From the giants that are the land and sea creating Kyogre and Groudon to the rainbow phoenix scouring the skies across all the regions within the world.

HOWEVER, you don’t have to go strictly cannon in your writing. Do you have your own theory to the creation of life, an alternate to the growing look of Aruseus? By all means, do it. This contest is not about constraints the games and anime give, listing out what each legendary does then ends up conflicting it’s self later on, your imagination and how far you are willing to stretch is your only limitation.

But if you do want to use the game or anime reasoning as a centre for your one shot, feel free, you will not be penalised for doing so

Usable Pokemon:

The following Pokemon in no particular order are considered legendaries within the Pokemon genre, it is requested at least ONE of the following is featured in your One Shot:

Red, Blue, green and Yellow Generation:
    Moltres, Articuno, Zapdos, Mew, Mewtwo

Gold, Silver and Crystal Generation:
    Lugia, Ho-oH, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Celebi

Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald Generation:
    Rayquaza, Regirock, Registeel, Regice, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Jirachi, Deoxys

Diamond and Pearl Generation:
    Fione, Aruseus, Sheimi, Darkrai, Manaphy, Fione, Kureseria, Giradina, Regigigas, Parukia, Diaruga, Emuritto, Yukishii, Agunomuu, Hiidoran

Loophole Pokemon:
    Arcanine

I assure the final Pokemon is NOT a bias from me being an Arcanine lover. There is growing evidence that Arcanine was originally going to be a legendary Pokemon or if not, on bar with the Dragonite line. It was also featured on a plate on the second episode of the Pokemon anime; in the place Moltres should have been furthering this belief.

Because of this, I wish to allow it to be one of the usable Pokemon but ONLY if any featured one has no relation to Growlithe. Any Arcanine running about as a non legendary could be something like impure bloods who hold a mortal status thus allowing Growlithe to exist. You don’t have to do it like that; it’s just a suggestion for getting round it

Potential Plot Suggestions:

These are just suggestions, you don’t have to use any of these if you do not wish. They can also be taken up as any genre though some may work better than others.

Legendary turned into a human
    Day in the life of the Legendary Muse (E.g. my Muse Chikarma happens to be a Mewtwo)
    Tale of that Pokemon’s birth
    Tale of a saviour Pokemon done from the point of view of humans or Pokemon storytellers
    The Unknown Pokemon
    The Grand Battle
    Why *insert Pokemon here* will never eat nachos again
    Fallen from Grace
    What a Legend does in its spare time
    The Blessing/curse of mortality
    Birth of the world
    *Insert Legendary here* the Postman/woman/it (E.g. I wrote a One Shot called the Chikarmised Postie, not bad for a Mewtwo is it?)
    The Cyborg/Robotech Legendary of the Future!

Basic rules for entry:

Any submission must agree to the forum rules.
    It must be a one shot and related to the topic.
    Entry is checked for spelling and grammar to the best of your ability
    It is your own piece of work aka not stolen. Collabs are allowed just fyi.

All entries I ask are posted on the forums with mention in the description that it is for this contest and links to this thread. Please pm me your entry and I will add it myself to prevent thread clutter.

Judges:

Zephyr Flare – Fanfiction Moderator
    RaZoR LeAf - RPG Moderator
    Fez the Mysfit Elf - Volunteer

Entrants:

By Willow's Tara
    By Legendary Suicune Girl of Pokémon
    By Psychic Umbreon
    By Morpher 01
    By Kairi
    By Knightblazer
    By tyferno
    By [Super_Fjord]
    By Dark Amethyst
    By CHeSHiRe-CaT
    By purple_drake
    By Sybot
    By tipnottippy
    By Brian Powell
    By Daneb
    By katiekitten
    By Psychic

Judge Entries
    By RaZoR LeAf
    The other entry is pending.

Questions:

How do I submit my entry?

Post your One Shot on the forums as usual. Above the actual One Shot in the description part, please note that it is for this contest and link to this thread. This is for those who may be interestwd to find out more about the contest for maybe reading or interest in joining.

When you have done this, Pm me the entry and I will put it up with your name under the Entry list.

Why is there a section for judge entries?

No matter how tempted us judges get, we aren;t allowed to enter as there is potential bias, both negative and positive, for our own entries.

HOWEVER

Since I am certainly going to write one, possibly more but yeah, and some potential entrees don't want to give up their chance to write for judging, I have come up with a solution.

We will have a separate section for judge entries so they will NOT be judged with regular entrants thus avoiding any bias. We will follow the same ruling of one entry per person, unlimited length, same rating, force of legendary use and the deadline just like I am requesting non-judgees to do.

This is where it differs slightly.

As an additional part of this contest, all those who submit a One Shot before the deadline will be allowed to judge the Judges One Shot to choose who has the best one. Since there will only be a few judges ours will be on a 1st, 2nd and 3rd basis.

Odd? Maybe.

I will make a poll lurking potentially anywhere on the forums since thankfully I have access to everywhere. It will contain an option for each Judge which you may vote on after you have had chance to read all our One Shots. I will pm the link to you with links to the Judge's entries so nobody who has no joined in can vote. This will also mean that I will be the only Judge who will know the whereabouts of this Poll which because I will make it, I cannot vote myself.

I feel this is a fair method and means we get to join in the fun and you get the chance to have your say as well, feel free to comment and ask questions about this as I do not believe it has been done before, or at least not in recent times

What genre types of one shot is allowed?

As long as a legendary is featured, you can write anything ranging from humour to script (If obliges the forum rules), drama, horror, whatever you wish.

Yes this also means song one shots are allowed, just mention who the original song was sung by and the name of the track, we might want to look ourselves

If we get enough variety submitted I will pen new categories for entry and judging but for now it will be a simple 1st, 2nd and 3rd for all genres.

How long should my one shot be?

As long as you wish, however I do recommend checking that for longer one shots, writing still flows.

Why is Arcanine allowed but not other Pokemon like Absol?

Because there is evidence to suggest that at one stage Arcanine was considered part of the legendary bird trio before being removed. It seemed only fair to allow it to be one of the Pokemon. However this does not mean Pokemon like Absol can’t be a focus of the one shot such as playing a story teller role about one of the legendaries on the list.

What is the rating maximum for this contest?

R rated with all the usual warnings as per the Fanfiction Rules.

How many entries are allowed?

Only one per person. However if you wish to exchange your entry for another one, send me the new link and I will replace it on the list for you.

Does the entry have to be written AFTER this thread's post date/time?

No it doesn't. However you have to of course be sure it fits the topic of course before submitting the link If you later write another One Shot you feel would be a better entry, just send the link t me and I will exchange it on the list.

-

Any further questions? Feel free to ask and I will answer them as soon as possible and add them to the above should they be relevant.

Feel free to say you want to join in or ask queries or post ideas. I hope you all enjoy yourselves and good luck to all potential entrants

Sandra
    Last edited by Zephyr Flare; 4th April 2007 at 10:41 AM.
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

Shouldn't we wait till the current one-shot contest finishes before we start a new one?

Hmm, this is an interesting topic, I'm sure lots of people will be interested, but I was never interested in legendaries. Perhaps I could do a Satirical Approach to legendaries and there use in fanfiction o_0? Ah well, I'll mull it over. Are you the only judge?
    A Championship Battle
    FINISHED: Johto's top psychic trainer and the granddaughter of an Elite Four member go head to head for the Silver Cup championship. Features underused pokemon including Tropius, Slowking, and my personal favorite, Jynx

This story is too fleshed out and completed in my head for me not to finish it. I'm determined to finish my first real, fleshed out fiction. And I'll wait until it's done before posting it. Chapters 6/18.

I agree with IceKing: it seems awfully odd of a decision to start a contest while we're in the middle of another one. Not a particularly wise decision as far as the participation level of your contest goes, either.

I'm also curious as to your qualifications for judging a contest aside form being a mod. I don't think I've ever seen you give a review, and you don't update your own fics that often. Especially considering the subject matter here begs for trite badfic, I'd recommend getting some judges who are a little more... practiced and well-known for their expertise, IE Sike or Negrek. Or even IceKing.
    Last edited by Act; 7th October 2006 at 10:02 PM.

reviewing rowling
    because harry potter sucks

livejournal facebook fanfiction

'Don't be so modest, you're not that great.'

Iceking: not like everyone has joined the damn valitine like love fest :/ and there's no rules against something like this, and tbh this interests me more than the love fest.

Act: ... I would say something but it would be flaming, so instead I'll just say: grow up :/

Anyways Sandra, I'm gonna enter as a .. JUDGE! well no not really, I will enter, dunno with what exactly yet as it's really hard to type over this box the two horny toads are in and keeping them safe atm is more important than any ideas I have atm so yeah.

One question; is there a rating limit?

Act: ... I would say something but it would be flaming, so instead I'll just say: grow up :/
    Oh, but I adore flames, love. Do tell me why my thoughts are invalid, I'd very much like to hear.

reviewing rowling
    because harry potter sucks

livejournal facebook fanfiction

'Don't be so modest, you're not that great.'

The other one shot contest is absolutely nothing to do with me and the deadline is looming far closer, notice my far more extended deadline allowing any who choose to enter both time to do so.

So no, I've actually considered and thought ahead, go me.

I only put this up less than an hour ago; I've got some potential judges to drag out into the open

I do actually review quite a bit and update like anybody with sense does, when they have given the chapter the time it needs to make it the best it can be before going up. Does that make me somehow invalid suddenly? I have also been moderating for nearly ooo 4 years?

This is on top of coming from an established background of written sites, been published in books and having been writing myself a stupidly long time. I have run contests before successfully both in art and writing and a lot more open than most about genres and there is absolutely no risk of bias towards an author. If something is good I will say it is good, if it is bad, I will say it is bad.

Please don't assume you know everything about a person off a few forum posts, they generally say extremely little about background.

And also last time I checked it is my choice in the end who ends up judging, that is why I put the comment "More judges will be added soon." it's just at the present moment in time it is only me listed under the judging section.

/Edit: Act, please don't use my thread as a platform.

Yami, up to R per forum rules as usual with all the warning and stuff in tow~

Sandra
    Last edited by Zephyr Flare; 7th October 2006 at 10:46 PM.
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

Sandra: Thanks for answering, and already think I know what I'm gonna do for my entry, might not be exactly what you think either, so watch out. And wonder who those extra judges are gonna be.

Know I can make one good suggestion: Myuu or Psychic, they are good, non biased people

Ooh, I'm entering this one. :3 I was just yesterday thinking about writing something about Diaruga/Parukia/Aruseusu...

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Sorry this is annoying, but as long as we center the one-shot around a certain legendary(ies) then we can write the one-shot however we'd like? I'm just clarifying for my own reference.

I think I'd love to write something about Ho-oh. Always been fascinated with the old coot x3

I'm joinin'~

Btw, a question: what qualifications does one need to become a judge?

edit; previous works allowed?
    Last edited by Lily; 8th October 2006 at 8:34 AM.

Ehh.... I guess I'll join, as OneShots are my thing right now.

Just one question, what about Annon (Unown)? Are they off limits?
    Hooray for college
    [IMG]http://i28.*******.com/25qu35g.png[/IMG]
    WRP: Here comes DAREDEVIL! Johto 2010
    GOLD Ripped by yours truley
    Transparent by the grace of Luke Groundwalker

Well, I think I will give it a shot as an entry, maybe I will do Giranta or Articuno, or maybe both..Not sure, Oh I will have to think about these plots that are already running through my head

Edit: In fact, I think I will start now, see where I go...And being also a Ghost Type will put it to my advantage
    Last edited by Willow's Tara; 8th October 2006 at 5:13 AM.
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

Quote Originally Posted by Yami Ryu
    Know I can make one good suggestion: Myuu or Psychic, they are good, non biased people
    Nuuueee, I wanna enter. ;;

XD Seriously, though, thanks for the kind words. I'd like to judge, but only if it were any contest but this one. No joke. I really want to type something up, and I have the perfect idea that I've been thinking about for about half a year.

I really do love the idea for this contest, but it does seem a bit close to the Romance one. *shrugs* It may have been better to wait for the hubbub for that one to stop before starting this one, but meh- you're right in saying that it's coming to an end and all.

So...yeah. I'm very excited for this one, and I know the entries will all be very interesting. I just hope there will be nothing wrong with mine. XD

~Psychic

Okay, well I have finished my one shot But I won't post it yet, I am going to check it one more time to make sure things are right.

But just so I don't get this wrong, I post the one shot on the forums, with a link in the description and I also PM you the entry.

This one is kinda a horror fic though...Well that what Giranta gets for appearing in my dream

I was coming up with an idea for a chaptered fic and it involved legendaries, O_O. So I'll imply that into here instead, as a One-Shot. Might be quite long though.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffire Persian View Post
    Sorry this is annoying, but as long as we center the one-shot around a certain legendary(ies) then we can write the one-shot however we'd like? I'm just clarifying for my own reference.
    Yeah, I am in the same boat with Saffire Persian. I thought of an idea for a fic one of the legendaries I want to put in. If it's okay, then I will probably start writing that story and enter it. (I actually plan to write that fic this month anyways )

~Good night, and good luck~

Tumblr | FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

ooo, yeah, I'll enter! I read this before, and I was thinking of a plot... and I have two pretty good ones *shrugs*.

My hearts broken.
    I think the top half is somewhere in my lower intestine...

Saffire Persian - As long as it's based around one of the listed legendaries then yes. You can take it up however you like, both genre, perspective wise and plot. Like as a random example, you could write something a bit like my Arasthe One Shot where what it is isn't actually linked until the final line but a tale is being woven about them throughout without it maybe being realised.

This means that if you want to write more out the box you are perfectly welcome to do so.

Kairi - You know I only just remembered about the previous when I was reading a magazine before before I went to sleep last night >> The answer is yes if you wish as long as it fits the concept BUT it may also be a fun challenge to try something from scratch.
    Nother thing I forgot to add but remembered away from the computer is I can and will exchange entries. This means that:

Submit one work, I list
    You decide it isn't very good so write another one.
    Submit the new work, I replace the orignal in the list.

For me it feels fairer since writting like art can go all over the shot sometimes meaning you might write even better later on

Judges are decided by me both in written skill that is of a good quality and any reviews. I will send a little thing over as well if I see a potential with a few questions to be absolutely sure i get a person who I feel will help contribute to fair judging. Here's hoping it works

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix - Unown technically are not legendary Pokemon. However, they could see be used in a way such as be the power of a legendary or a visable force of one more discrete.

Long as the legendary is still in there somewhere and it shows in the One Shot it would be very possible to pull it off. It's having a root and running with it to create something that I like to think is what this little contest is about. Thinking outside the box with just one element that needs to be there and being able to oevrcome any at fist seeming limitations

Psychic - Well it is 2 months and a bit ON TOP of it's run and with holidays coming up and half terms, hopefully enough time for those who want to enter both. I may extend it to the Friday of that week into Febuary but I need to check with a few things before I do anything.

And bless, don't worry I won't keep you from writting, hell I'm going to and I'm not allowed to enter, woe

Willow's Tara - up that's right, I don't want people to be orced to worry till the deadline if it's all right and miss out some potential good reviewing in the meantime. May also help spark ideas fo entrants so long as you mention for this contest, link here as well I'll be quite happy

Tomoyo Daidouji - As long as it can be classed a One Shot, doesn't matter if it ends up long or short, just make it the length you feel works for yours.

Right 'll go update the FAQ, you always rememebr these things when you're nowhere near a computer and it's the middle of the night D:

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

Soudns fun, I'll enter, I'm suffering writers block on Zelda anyway

I'm definitely entering.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Flare View Post
    Saffire Persian - As long as it's based around one of the listed legendaries then yes. You can take it up however you like, both genre, perspective wise and plot. Like as a random example, you could write something a bit like my Arasthe One Shot where what it is isn't actually linked until the final line but a tale is being woven about them throughout without it maybe being realised.

This means that if you want to write more out the box you are perfectly welcome to do so.

Kairi - You know I only just remembered about the previous when I was reading a magazine before before I went to sleep last night >> The answer is yes if you wish as long as it fits the concept BUT it may also be a fun challenge to try something from scratch.
    Nother thing I forgot to add but remembered away from the computer is I can and will exchange entries. This means that:

Submit one work, I list
    You decide it isn't very good so write another one.
    Submit the new work, I replace the orignal in the list.

For me it feels fairer since writting like art can go all over the shot sometimes meaning you might write even better later on

Judges are decided by me both in written skill that is of a good quality and any reviews. I will send a little thing over as well if I see a potential with a few questions to be absolutely sure i get a person who I feel will help contribute to fair judging. Here's hoping it works

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix - Unown technically are not legendary Pokemon. However, they could see be used in a way such as be the power of a legendary or a visable force of one more discrete.

Long as the legendary is still in there somewhere and it shows in the One Shot it would be very possible to pull it off. It's having a root and running with it to create something that I like to think is what this little contest is about. Thinking outside the box with just one element that needs to be there and being able to oevrcome any at fist seeming limitations

Psychic - Well it is 2 months and a bit ON TOP of it's run and with holidays coming up and half terms, hopefully enough time for those who want to enter both. I may extend it to the Friday of that week into Febuary but I need to check with a few things before I do anything.

And bless, don't worry I won't keep you from writting, hell I'm going to and I'm not allowed to enter, woe

Willow's Tara - up that's right, I don't want people to be orced to worry till the deadline if it's all right and miss out some potential good reviewing in the meantime. May also help spark ideas fo entrants so long as you mention for this contest, link here as well I'll be quite happy

Tomoyo Daidouji - As long as it can be classed a One Shot, doesn't matter if it ends up long or short, just make it the length you feel works for yours.

Right 'll go update the FAQ, you always rememebr these things when you're nowhere near a computer and it's the middle of the night D:

Sandra
    Okay thanks I will post my entry now and PM once I put it up[...Well you probably know the pm first

I'll be entering, as it'll be a good challenge for me. One-shots really aren't my style, I prefer to write long, multi-chaptered fics.

I'm glad for the deadline, since between uni, my current fic and two AARs (Hearts of Iron fanfic) I don't have time for much else.

Does it have to be prose, or can we also write a poem/ballad? (Has something in mind along the lines of Beowulf xD). If not, it's totally understandable. Good luck with the writing/judging in either case! ^^;

Stealthy Ninja Mario - A Crossover through Realms

@>-{Click to see my shinies}- (Currently not trading) | -{Hunting Shinies with the Pokeradar}-<@
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    I was SHUKO-CHAN from NSider. Long live the Yoshis of the world!

*drags up unfinished legend story* Finally, an excuse to finish this! XD

I'll probably enter. I thought I wouldn't be able to, as I don't have enough time to think up another plot with the story Sayonara a third of the way finished and a romance oneshot waiting to be written, but if I can finish Immortality, I will be very happy. XD

In other words, I wasn't going to enter, but now I will. XD

Floating over your rocky spine
    The glaciers made you and now you're mine

Pair: duncan | Lyrics: Great Lake Swimmers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast