Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hanging With Wisest Pikachu! (The Comic!) Version 4.0

Default Hanging With Wisest Pikachu! (The Comic!) Version 4.0

It is I, the Wisest of Pikachus! I decided I could use a new intro. This is my giant post of almost everything. It is the first post in both Hanging With Wisest Pikachu (The Comic!) and Wisest Pikachu’s Sprite Request Thread. Right now the Request Thread is currently closed, since RIT is an evil entity which sucks away my life. And the comic, its normally on a daily basis, but currently, for the above mentioned reasons, is being updated whenever. I hope to get it back to daily again soon. Anyways, I guess I should explain all this stuff. The Neuto pages were a project started a long time ago by Shadolf (now leader of Pokemon Treasures) and I. It was a collaboration between all spriters to create sprites for the fake Pokedex of a website called Pokemon Neuto. Last I saw, it was closed. The project is now incomplete, but if anyone can find a Neuto Pokemon and sprite it, it will be added to the Neuto Page. Not all the sprites in those two pages are mine, since it was a joint union of all spriters. Custom Sprites are a bunch of sprites I have made, most of them made as sprite requests. My Wizardmon sprite won a honorable mention in the November 2004 sprite contest, and my Mewtwo/Xatu/Articuno/Houndoom/Alakazam/Pidgeot/Typhlosion/2 others won Most Innovative Sprite in Champions of the Mix. The next 2 sections are tutorials to help teach how to mix sprites and how to make sprites from scratch, respectively. Hanging With Wisest Pikachu(The Comic!) Sprite Sheets is sprite sheets from almost everything in the comic. They are free to use, no credit needs to be given, just don’t go and claim them as yours own. HwWP!(TC!) Zipped Archive is a Zip file of the first 100 comics. I no longer remember. Character Sheets are biographies and pictures of all the major characters in the comic. HwWP!(TC!) is the actual archive of the comics. Ads are little promotions I have made and put in my sig. There is also Ben is not Feeling Good Filler, for when I’m too sick to put something up, and fan stuff, which is listed by the name of the person who made it for me. Thanks a lot! Enjoy!

This post got too long and is continued here.

Neuto Page:
    Neuto Page

Shiny Neuto Page:
    Shiny Neuto Page

Spoiler:- ”Compilations (large sprite sheets of Pokemon up to D/P)”:

Recolors:
    Megaman GB Robot Masters Recolor-ed

Spoiler:- ”My Custom Sprites”:

Spoiler:- ”A Guide to Mixing Sprites”:

Spoiler:- ”A Guide to Hand-drawn Sprites”:

Spoiler:- ”Hanging with Wisest Pikachu (The Comic!) Sprite Sheets”:

Hanging With Wisest Pikachu Zipped Archive! (Comics 001 – 100) (Made by Sylfar)
    Copy/Paste this: http://www.freewebs.com/fbb4/Wisest%20Pikachu.zip

Spoiler:- ”Hanging With Wisest Pikachu Character Sheets”:

Hanging with Wisest Pikachu (The comic!!):
    Versions 1 and 2 were never posted before and were attempts at a sprite comic from earlier on. Version 3 is the actual comic.
        Spoiler:- ”Hanging with Wisest Pikachu v1.0 (This was ended because I didn’t know where to go with it, and I realized many of the jokes were ripoffs from BobandGeorge.com. Also, Dave, the author of BobandGeorge, wouldn’t let me use Nate (I still kinda did), although Ran let me use his sprite.)”:

Spoiler:- ”Hanging with Wisest Pikachu v2.0(This ended cause I never really went anywhere with it, but it was the basis for v3.0)”:

Spoiler:- ”Hanging with Wisest Pikachu v3.0”:

Spoiler:- ”Ads”:

Ben Is Not Feeling Good Filler (BINFGF!):
    001 - Wasn’t me!

Spoiler:- ”Fan Stuff”:

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting - Its the one that hasn't given me any trouble so far!
    Last edited by Wisest Pikachu; 7th November 2006 at 9:19 PM.

It's good, WP, but I'd rather you just directly continue the old series in 16-bit than start from scratch.

You see, if you make an entirely new version, it'll kinda disjoint and disadvantage the preceeding storylines. Too many good comics have been ruined by going that route. Why make a new one? Just continue 3.0. You could, if you wanted, have a reintroduction comic, but I think you should group it as 3.0.
    Last edited by Mastercougar; 11th October 2006 at 1:10 AM.
    For various reasons, (not least because I've grown tired of this username), I've moved my operations over to other websites. If you're interested in following my adventures as I explore and subvert the many worlds of Nintendo through prose, look for me on Archive of Our Own, Bulbagarden, or OverClocked ReMix as "Daidalos."

And if you're a fan or a comic-maker from the old days, thanks for more than five unforgettable years of community, comics, and creativity. And thanks for remembering.

Peace out.

OMFG Wisest Pikachu is alive!
    Groundia lol. But that Fire was unreal, you made it on MS Paint?

My current Diamond team.
    Information about me. Heh, as if you wished to know

I'm usually on the Fan-Comic forum, correcting the grammar of people is my job there.

I lik-ed the 16-Bit Version better. I really hope for the return of...

Logic, Namag, Gir, Megaman, Proto, Bass, Light, Roll, Auto, Lauto, ALFRED (that was his name, right?), and all those great guys.

Heck, I'd say your better than Anez!

I take that back.

PS: What's "anging" mean?
    Nyeh.

Yeah, this was a joke comic. If you look at the title, It's numbered 0275, the next number in the comic. The 4.0 actually refers to the 4th incarnation of HWWP(TC) at Serebii's. Later I will post the large list of comics and remove the gag comic, except to be seen in the archives.

Personally, I find 32-bit rather restricting to work with. And the background was very distracting. Like I said, this was just for my amusement and to scare some people. I'm evil like that. Not really. Namag is, though. Maybe he did it?

Did I really worry you that much, MC? After all the discussion we had earlier about my comic? Also, I found the comic I just made to be rather weak in most aspects. Which just added to the horrible, horrible concept of redoing the comic in 32 bits.

Blaze Dragon, I'm still alive. I hide, like a ninja. Groundia, if you don't remember, was my Lugia/Groundon mix from my... 3rd comic episode. (I think) I find Parukia to be kinda similiar, due to the Winged Dragon look that Groundia has.

As for the fire, I was actually going for a beam type attack, but didn't do that great a job unfortunately. I wish I remembered how I did it in my Namag storyarc. The effect worked okay considering the amount of time I spent on it. Also, one can view it as 'upgrade' from my original attempt at a beam attack by Groundia, as seen in comic episode 3.

That was actually one of the things I did use Photoshop for. I find MS Pant much simpler to use, and used it to make most of the comic, but the special words "Parukia" and the fire effect were done in Photoshop. Most of the time, I only need Paint to do what I do.

Well, like I said, I am going to post my big list of doom in my first post later. Hopefully Thursday sometime. That way people can see the almost 300 comics from way back. By which I mean, about 1-2 years ago.

Yes! I was better than Anez, if only for a moment!

PS: You're kidding me... I accidently wrote 'anging' instead of 'Hanging'? I wonder if I can fix that somehow....
    Last edited by Wisest Pikachu; 11th October 2006 at 6:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisest Pikachu View Post
    Okay, I don't have much time to post before I head off, but look who is back, for hopefully an extended stay! I'll post my other stuff later, but let me introduce you to the brand new HWWP!(TC!)

0001 - HWWP: A New Beginning

Comments as usual.

I'll put the old versions up later.
    I've never really read your old comics, but this isn't bad. I thought the joke with the Palkia was amusing. I like the text you used to write "Parukia." If you have the resources to create effects like this, why not up the quality of your speech bubbles as well? Right now they're the standard box that anyone can make in MSPaint and does.

A new person! Whoo!

The sad part is you can't understand really "get" this comic unless you remember Groundia, and when he was introduced as a minor, recurring character.

Let me dredge it up...

WP 0002 - Authors are Trouble:

WP 0003 - Tokyo, Home of Monsters:

Wow, these are going back a while. Now, truth be told, this is kinda fancy. I often use 2-tone or rather simplistic backgrounds to do most of my work. I think it has a certain appeal. The background normally has nothing to do with the story, and should not stand out. When it does, I believe it should be done right though. The background is one of the 'upgrades' from V3.0. It's a joke, and such things aren't used often.

As for text, it goes back to BnG, most likely. Also, After doing it like that for 275 comics, I am inclined to keep it the way it is. It does the job. It doesn't use much room, and is clear and easy to see. In HWWP V2.0, I did try using special text for mostly everything. It... didn't look good. I therefore normally reserve such special text for special sound effects, such as a Pokemon's cry, or even Boom, Zap, and "The Like".

Don't be inclined simply because that's how you do it normally. Try ding something new; try to improve in every way possible whenever you can. A good way to do this is to be everything BnG is not. Two toned backgrounds, shoddily edited Megaman sprites, a total lack of any sort of fourth wall if you don't know what that eans, for shame), and a very poor-looking pokemon splice. Of course, this is assuming your comics are all going to look like what you posted right above this. On the basis that they'll all look like the first one in this topic. I'll just tell you that the brush tool is not a good tool for fire. Try finding a laser tutorial.

Nixx: Well, not only is it how I normally do it, it kinda is... Hmm, I don't think its good to radically change your comic halfway thru. It's been enstablished for almost 300 comics. I use enough backgrounds to convey what I need to. Same with text. I am kinda text heavy, and my 200x200 panels force me to keep the text small to fit it all. Using special fonts wouldn't look good at that size. That's why I reserve them for sound effects.

Also, this is definately homage to BnG. I got a lot from Dave. I will never understand why one can't use the style BnG made. People seem to like that comic despite the several 'flaws' that other people are criticized for.

Hmm.. Shoddily edited Megaman sprites? I don't think they are that bad. I mean, WP does have the fat 'armor' legs of Megaman and some shading reminiscent of Megaman's base. But Megaman 7 is the ideal spriting form for sprite comics. I can't think of any other sprite sheet with so much potential for expression. Megaman 1-6 are 8 bit, and therefore show little expression. Megaman 8 last any expression, and all pics of MM is facing the enemy. The chibi form is great to pull off what needs to be done.

I am a practitioner of KISS (Keep it simple, Stupid) Probably cause I'm an engineer. Things are designed to fulfill their purpose. Complex backgrounds, complex fonts, they all distract from what I am trying to actually make. They are extraneous. What I put up displays what I am trying to get across. If someone needs to interat with the background, it will be detailed. If someone speaks particulary emotively, I will resort to special emphasis in fonts. Otherwise, I don't see the need. It just distracts.

Oh, I know what the 4th wall is. I like to break it. This comic is very much a comic of cliches. However, I love them and use them in a unique way. It's kind of tough to explain.

Poor looking Pokemon Splice? I'm hurt. It's a Pokemix. It's supposed to look like Groundia and Lugia combined, and I think it pulls that off pretty well. It's not supposed to be an unique looking thing. Maybe it's not my best mix, but its 3 years old and my mixing skills were self taught. Mainly because, with the exception of Kyogroudon (Who was on some other forum I don't know of), there was no thing as Pokemixes back then.

And I do think my comic has gotten better. Those are 3 year old comics now. Not to mention just the 2nd and 3rd episodes of the comic.

As for the original post, I don't like it. It stands a lot for what I'm against. I think it looks ugly. The background is distracting, the sprites are very tough to use to display emotion, and basically everything there makes it look more artsy, but I don't think it makes it better. As for the fire, I do know how to do a laser, though it would be good to brush up on it. Maybe I will find a laser tutorial. But it had an alternate use. First, that was a rather quickly thrown together comic. I spent under 5 minutes on that laser/fire. Also, compare it to the fire/laser Groundia used in episode 2. It looks rather similiar, though one was pure MS Paint while the other was Photoshop. It was the same thing with a new coat of paint on it making it look slightly more artsy, but paying homage to Groundia's first appearance.

These are just my opinions. Feel free to feel as you want about my comic. I just want people to know my reasoning, as it seems your view is quite prevalent, and most people see things as you see them. I kinda stand against that. I seem to stand against a lot of things the comic/spriting community believes...

SecretMew is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

Nice to see you're back . I hope your comics to get even better than before, the Sonic background was nice to see there. You've improved a lot, by watching those second and third episodes. But the best thing is that the comics humor is still being good too. I like the 32 bit update, even though using of the older graphics were still good, but in my opinion that has been quite overused everywhere after all. When comparing to that older one that beam looks better, even though quite strange, it's good that you've kept the originality of it. Hmm, I can't see any negative things in your comic... Maybe the font in the speech bubbles. But they are still easy to read.

Hey, Secret Mew! Still going at your comic, huh? I think that makes yours the longest lived. I'm pretty sure it was out before Reporterz.

People really like the Sonic background? I found it.... I don't know. First off, I didn't want an ocean backdrop, but that was the closest thing I could find towards what I want. I found it kinda distracting. But do people really prefer it that way? I wonder how I can implement that kind of thing though.... I mean, currently I use a two-tone green and blue background to sho that people are elsewhere rather then some certain location. As in, the lack of the background signifies that they are nowhere important. But to make it turn into a field of grass? Hmm... For some reason I'm more okay with a background that lacks qualities to show they are no where important rather then them standing in grassy flat plains most of the time. That seems strange to me. Like, the location, since it is being shown, should have some significance... Hmmm...

I want more thoughts on this.

You like the 32 bit update? I found 32 bits quite stifling to work with. There are no good "laying around" sprites. Everything is kick-butt action, with no talking, no looking relaxed. That's why I use the 16 bit MM sprites. They have a great capacity to show things being done. Much more then 8 or 32.

Well, like I said about the beam earlier, it was partly to pay homage to earlier comics, and partly cause I was rushed. Also, if you remember, reusing jokes is genius. Well, if you do it right.

The only possible change I could think for the text is a slightly different font. Like Lucido font instead of times new roman. But Times new Roman has been my standard, and I believe is just the right size. Lucido is slightly bigger, meaning less text. And I believe my comic is readable t ht ecurrent font, and doesn't seem cramped like I thought Gundam Remake's was. No offense to him. It might have just been my old moniter, which was going fuzzy. So I had to zoom in to read his comics. Also, maybe Namag's (he definately is dead and will never be seen again) text could be black and red, or maybe one of those horror writing fonts. But at the font size needed, the horror writing wouldn't look so great, I think. I can check... Hmm... Maybe this Mouth Breather Font, however, while it is font size 8 just like I use for Times, it is much bigger. And I would hate to change fonts for Namag based off how wordy he's being. As for the Red and black color motif, I don't know if it wold look any good like that. Is it still readable? It doesn't seem to have much oomph if the color doesn't accompany an evil-looking font. Also, It might clash horriblly with a blue sky. It doesn't look too bad on my top of the line monitor, but this is a high quality monitor that not everyone will be using.

Well, I blabbed more than I meant to. I seem to do that a lot.

Lucky for all you I'm a horrible studier, and will instead post up my older comics a day earlier than I originally thought. In other words, my first post is going to change.

Oh My God. It's back. Oh and a a typo ont the topic. Oh well at least you're back (meaning WP) and so is the comic. 275 is the newest comic right? If so I can't see it. o.o

Twin: PhQnix Bishie: Kurapica Cartoon Bishie: Freakazoid Pair: Leona

Samba Dinos don't need context.
    Xanga |Last FM

Skiks: You're right, it isn't displaying. Give me a minute and I'll fix the link.

And yes, I noticed the typo in the title. Do you think a mod can change it?

Something screwy is going on, so its taking longer to fix.
    Appearantly I hit the max characters for a post. So I guess I need to split my post in half and scatter it across multiple pages. I'll link each one to the other so people don't need to dig thru archives to find the next giant posting. But this is going to be a little bit of a pain. I need to edit my back up pages more then I have been.
    Last edited by Wisest Pikachu; 11th October 2006 at 10:17 PM.

I think my head a-splode. Welcome back WP it's awesome to see that you have decided to make comics again. I have improoved my comic and spriting skills while you were gone and I am doing fine at customs now.

I think you'll e seeing a fancomic soon. Now I shall wait for a genuis idea to appear before me.

Don't be holding your breath it won't be coming on this post.

pic made by me,
    Shadow sprites from TSR

OMG!!! I'M SO EXIITED I CAN'T SPELL NO GOOD CORRECTLY!!!

WP IS BACK! GOD-I MEAN WP IS BACK! WP IS BACK!!!

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I'M SO HAPPY!!!

woohoo!!woohoo!

also you might see in a future fancomic I make for you that I have improved since WP meets 1-up!

W-Wisest P-Pikachu....YOU'RE BACK!!!! You left about right after I joined. But I saw your comics. THEY WERE AWESOME!!!!!! But I prefer you continue the old series.

Oh, and that new "32-Bit" series isn't 32-Bit Graphics, because Sonic 2 is 16-Bit. 32-Bit would be Knuckles' Chaotix Backrounds.
    http://www.themysticalforestzone.com...erd/Sonic5.htm
    Those are all Sonic Backgrounds, just in case if you didn't have that URL.

I like the joke when Pikachu says that Parukia is Groundia. And did you make that fire with MSPaint?

Well, since Wiset Pikachu came back, that means that there might be a slight chance that Sindakwil will come back too!
    HOW TO HEAR KYUREM'S CRY IN REAL LIFE:
    1. Blow your nose

Oh, it was a JOKE!

I thought you were going to, like, do all those plots we discussed in 32-Bit or something. XD

I hope you modern critics don't be too harsh on WP. His comic may have some cliches and simpleties, but I really don't mind, nor do I think it should be much of an issue.
    For various reasons, (not least because I've grown tired of this username), I've moved my operations over to other websites. If you're interested in following my adventures as I explore and subvert the many worlds of Nintendo through prose, look for me on Archive of Our Own, Bulbagarden, or OverClocked ReMix as "Daidalos."

And if you're a fan or a comic-maker from the old days, thanks for more than five unforgettable years of community, comics, and creativity. And thanks for remembering.

Peace out.

It really isn't; I just don't think he's working up to his full potential.

Controller of Flames: Oh no. I didn't come back to make your head a-splode! Or did I? I will have to see your new comics or sprite shop. Well, if you are making a fan comic, please at least tell me to go look for it when its up. Good to see you again!

Jeshi-kun: WP meets 1-Up, eh? That must make you Gamer712. Long time no see. It's good to be back. Hopefully I can work on my comic some more as well. My scheldule has died down at the moment, but I can't say how long until I'm swamped with work again. I just had heard that people wanted me to post my comic again.

xXRushXx: You were new when I left, huh? That explains why I don't recognize your name. And yep, I'm back. The 32-bit comic I posted was just a practical joke and a filler for me until I posted my giant page again. I plan on using the same sprites I have been. Ah, thanks for the Sonic sprites URL. I never knew that site. Also, I mainly was referring to my sprites when I said 32 bit, as well as Parukia, who I believe is also a higher bittage then R/S sprites. Not sure though. Originally, I was going to use my 2-tone background but it didn't feel right for this comic, where I was going for a "new and improved!" (but not really) feel. So I went to Spriter's Resource and looked for something I could use as a background. And I found that Sonic BG to work well. I honestly wasn't thinking of the bittage there, and instead was trying to do the upgrade from 2-tone.

Heh, well I was suddenly struck with how bot my Groundia sprite and Parukia were both 2 big, Godzilla-like creatures with wings, and one could be seen as an improvement of the other. Which is what WP decided, rather then the ridiculous notion that there is some OTHER Pokemon of like ilk. The fire isn't MS Paint. Most of my special effects are Photoshopped in on top of comic. Doing special effects with Paint is a pain. Though it is possible. Take MS Paint Masterpieces for example. Who's Sindakwil?

Master Cougar: Yes, I wasn't about to try to make everyone 32-bit. I couldn't really express much on their faces, which were much too small. I need chibi's! Do you recognize those 32-bit sprites? I just took them from what you gave me as some fan-sprites. 32-bit renditions of the Authors. And yes, while I don't mind critics, I do have a rather unique view of comics. Some things I hear that are "rules" of sprite comics I believe are actually rather constricting. I walk a fine line with keeping to those rules. It's more the spirit of the rules, I believe. A comic isn't going to be bad if they disobey those rules, but they need a unique take on things. The rules actually outline common mistakes new comic makers make that generally end up causing a rather poor comic. However, you can tread carefully and do good things by breaking those rules, as long as you understand the potential traps the rules are trying to make you avoid.

Nixx: It is quite possible that I can make them look cosmettically better, but I am partially parodying the works similiar to BnG. This comic is definately heavy on the cliches. Cliches aren't bad, they are just overused. Everyone knows what will happen. However, they are a tribute to the people who inspired the new comicmaker, and are easy to do. This is the trap that gets people. Therefore, a rule was enstablished: No cliches. I believe I use cliches in ways people aren't expecting, therefore avoiding the all-too common trap. I guess what I'm saying is that part of the parody is keeping up the older style of graphics, though perhaps the backgrounds could use a change. I would need a place to get some backgrounds, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, I am much more at ease having my characters talk at an unimportant location by using 2-tones rather then talk at an unimportant location represented by a grass field. Because, its not important where they are talking, the emphasis is on what they are saying. I can leave it up to reader to imagine the area. Otherwise, I will have a location known as "The place where they go and have conversations, and have decided to always visit the same spot to do so" When where they are is important, I do make sure that people can tell where they are. Also, I want to show people a good comic can be made even if one tramples all over the sprite comic rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisest Pikachu
    Who's Sindakwil?
    Remember a member called Bakufuun? And his comic called "In a Town Called Littleroot?" (It was something like that...)

Well, he changed his name. He's like you, but he disapeared last January.
    Nyeh.

OMGOMGOMGOMGO!! god I have to start getting used to WP posting alot and learn to stop spazzing everytime he posts...

YES! I changed my name and dumped my nooby past into a ditch which then burned exploaded then I told people I was gamer712 and it came back.

meh..not as a amazeing as your comic coming back!

EDIT: zomg! not only have I posted on the first page of the great WP's topic but I also posted first on the second page! I CAN'T BELEIVE IT!!
    Last edited by Jeshi-kun; 13th October 2006 at 1:43 AM.

The 16 bit graphics look like they are in more comfortable poses, but I think you should smoothing the current 16 bit graphics.

Pikachu's ear isn't pointy enough on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ř®??G? ??* View Post
    The 16 bit graphics look like they are in more comfortable poses, but I think you should smoothing the current 16 bit graphics.

Pikachu's ear isn't pointy enough on this one.
    *snicker* nobody reads WP's post when he says the whole 32-bit thing was a joke!

plus those sprites were just fan creations by mastercougar! so your really just critisized MC's spriteing ability,(wait a second) YOU JUST INSULTED- wait..no.. nevermind,,,

I read it, but I am just saying what I think about it.

I INSULTED YOUR PETITE BRAIN.

The Magic Pixel: Ah, Okay. I know who you are talking about. I believe it was "A Town Called LittleRoot"

Jeshi-kun: Ah. Names seem to stick like that. Speaking of, did PsychoLugia leave or is he under a new name now? I plan to keep posting on a regular basis, like I used to. And hopefully post comics as well.

Ang3: First off, I'm not going to try to write your name. Though I wonder why you call yourself by a bunch of seemingly random ASCII, which would have to be accessed with Alt+###... And, I'm not sure which you are referring to? My 16-bit WP ear sprite isn't pointy enough? Or the 32-bit one? And for the uncomfortable poses, if you mean in the 32 bits, I know. Their proportions are closer to human rather than chibi, which makes them look a bit strange as facial expressions are tough to produce. Also, they have a lack of er... more natural sprites. Megaman 8 (Which they are based off of) didn't have Megaman in nearly as many sprites for things not action oriented (He always faced the enemy directly, he shot, ran, and jumped - everything is very action based.)

Jeshi-kun: Hello again! You're right, very few people are noticing that the last comic was a joke. I knew a lot of people, when they come back, promise something bigger, better, for their comic. However, the changes aren't always appreciated. I counted on that when I made it. I knew everyone would think I decided to do the bigger, better thing and ruined the comic in the process. And then, I switch back to the old 16-bit sprites and everyone loves me again! It's genius! Just like the New Coke! And the 32-bit versions of Authors aren't that bad, considering the limitations I believe Megaman 8 sprites have.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast