4th February 2014, 2:19 AM
Pokemon gaming questions.
I was hoping you could give me some advice based on a few questions I have.
I have recently gotten back into Pokemon and my interest tends to fluctuate based on other commitments I have. I am about to start playing some games again as well as watching the Anime TV series again from the beginning. I digress.
The obvious answer would be to just play the games but they are obviously so vast and it would be quicker to ask questions online and fill in the blanks that way.
I wouldn't expect anyone to answer all of these questions but answering a few would help.
1. Is it essential to play the games in chronological order? I have been drawn in by Pokemon X & Y because of its impressive visuals, gameplay and 3-D. Would it be a bad idea to start that far removed from the last games I played?
2. How does the world of Pokemon work in terms of the different regions? As in the relationship between the different regions and their collective position on a map.
3. Relative to how many Pokemon that where available at the release of each game is it ever possible to "catch em all"? For example in X and Y is it possible to catch all 718 Pokemon?
4. How do you determine when you have finished a game? As enjoyable as the Pokemon games I have played have been they have tended to fizzle out. With no definitive ending it is difficult to know when to stop and this usually comes when you become disinterested with the game.
So how do you personally determine when you have finished a game? Is it still the same basic premise of; collect Pokemon > train > collect badges > Elite four > end when you like. Or is there new major components to the game?
5. As vast as this question may seem. What are the most major changes or new features I should be looking out for?
6. What is the explanation for all the new Pokemon?
7. From Pokemon Red to Pokemon X the game seems like it has gotten extremely elaborate and all of this complexity and this is incredibly overwhelming. Other than "just play the game" what advice to you have that can help me take on these new characters, new objects, new pokemon, new features etc
8. Is Kanto ever referred to in Kalos?
Thank you for your help and advice.
4th February 2014, 4:28 AM
1. No, never. You can play the games in any order you want. They make some referrals to events/characters to other games, but that doesn't stop you from enjoying the current one. It isn't one huge story split into several games. Every generation results in a new hero in a new region with a new adventure.
2. Only HeartGold & SoulSilver games had a region neighbouring to a region of the previous game. But all the other games take place in slightly distant places, so there really is minimal relations between them. Serebii's Pokearth is just one representation of the many regions in the cannon games & the spin-off games together. It's really like living in different countries of the world. Sometimes, you've tourists, but again they're just visiting & appear for nostalgia's sake.
3. Now it is indeed possible to catch'em all. You can trade with anyone in the whole word easily. Any Pokemon that you require, you may request over the internet. Serebii also has a provision for it in the form of Trade Forums. Note that, you can't catch every single Pokemon without trading. Trading is compulsory to obtain all the Pokemons. It's the main intention of the game - interacting with others.
4. There really isn't a defined ending point in the games that is same for everybody. After the main plot, there can be variable post-game content. Other sub-plots, missions or just achievements to be completed. One way to know that you've completed the whole game is when your trainer card has achieved the highest rank possible for that game. Many have personal goals outside this, like collecting as many shiny pokemon as possible, or training pokemons for on-line battles/tournaments.
5. This is indeed too vast a question. Here is Serebii's page on Pokemon X & Y. In the right, you'll find links to many new things that can be found only in Pokemon XY. However, note that this is in relation to the previous generation/games. But please don't feel discouraged by looking at the list. Simply play along & you'll discover most of these eventually. That's how we all started.
6. It never really was explained much. It's just a new place, hence a new Pokemons. You could see it as animals native to countries. Many have their own theories about why or how these new Pokemons come & weren't available in previous games.
7. Perhaps play it along with a walk-through/guide? They can be useful since they'll have the right & necessary links to all the things you aren't aware of just at your finger-tips.
8. Yes. Perhaps Kanto is the most hinted region in this game.