Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Gettin' Twiggy With It (473)

Here we are at Day 5, and I'll mix English and Japanese names as I damn well please. At times rewatching some of these is a pleasure; other times, it's a masochistic chore. Here's DP's first instance of the latter...

Naetle was a Pokemon often slandered for not having any disitnguishable personality, especially in comparison to Bulbasaur, Chikorita, and Treecko, all of which were very vibrant. Even its quirk of clamping Satoshi's head was dropped after only a few episodes. It is only fitting, then, that its capture episode feels about as Johto-esque as the Pokemon itself. I cannot think of a more formulaic capture episode. A) Satoshi meets territorial starter Pokemon. B) He attempts to befriend it because he wants to capture it. C) Insignificant COTD does nothing significant. D) TR steals Pokemon. E) Ash saves said Pokemon, thus gaining its trust. F) Pikachu battles Pokemon. G) Satoshi captures Pokemon.

Most capture episodes are indeed formulaic (though the Greggle one coming up is pretty fun), but this episode does not even pretend to do anything different than not only Bulbasaur's capture, but was about as mundane as what we used to see in Johto. The old lady was a very uninteresting character, but I do give this episode some minor points for Masukippa's explosion. Simply put, this episode's main problem was a decade worth of age in which the same thing time and again becomes incredibly stale. Talk about Pokemon being a repetitive show all you want; the story pieces are generally told differently, however. This was not, and was a bad omen for Naetle in the future, who continued to have the personality of Cyndaquil (i.e. None). This continues to be my least favorite capture episode of Sinnoh.

D+
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

Turtwig is cool and like how it bites Ashes head and us a leader.(like me lol) Woth the episode title, I think when they say it at the end of the song they should have said it cooler, with more pizzaz.(spelt right?)

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

The only thing I found annoying about this episode is that they never did find out what exactly had happened to that Linoone. It looked like it had just been attacked by something, yet they didn't even want to know what? What they should have done is leave Team Rocket out of this episode and have a big brawl between Turtwig and the pokemon that hurt Linoone; saying it was an Aggron, Tyranitar, or some other big brute like that.
    FCs: 1564-3330-7308 (X) and 0361-6238-7128 (Y)
    Friend safari types: Fairy and Rock, respectively. PM me with your FC if you add me.

Turtwig was cool, like the last grass type of ash, it tackled ash...
    And The battle with Pikachu was great
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

good episode, i like turtwig ^^

9/10

yay turtwig!
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

Turtwig is such a kind pokemon. He is really awesome! I am so happy that ash got him!
    Wish Upon a Darkstar

Live To Win

Turtwig reminded me too much of Bulbasaur and that's sort of bad. I didn't like this episode very much, because it was basically recycled from a similar Kanto episode about a Grass Starter. Still seemed to be quite Filler-y despite Turtwig being caught by Ash, which was something we pretty much all expected to happen. 3/10.
    Last edited by Lorde; 5th November 2010 at 12:45 AM.

This episode was pretty good, and I liked the episode title as well. Glad Ash caught Turtwig, now look at it.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:
    Anime List

I hate the episode title because it reminds me of that horrible Will Smith song lol. Turtwig reminded me of Bulbasaur...a lot, but I don't mind. Pretty good episode.

Quote Originally Posted by KGB13 View Post
    I hate the episode title because it reminds me of that horrible Will Smith song lol. Turtwig reminded me of Bulbasaur...a lot, but I don't mind. Pretty good episode.
    Haha me too! A Pokemon episodes should not remind me of Will Smith! I didn't really mind at all that turtwig was so much like bulbasaur. It reminded me of the good ole days and that suits me. I was hoping that Ash would get a turtwig!

I loved this episode ^^ Its great because I LOVE Turtwig!!!!

It definitely did remind me of the Bulbasaur capture episode (Chimchar in a way was kind of similar to Charmander's episode but both were good). This episode wasn't that great really, it was okay however. They even had an Oddish in this episode much like the one in Bulbasaur's episode.

Turtwig biting Ash's head is funny, now he knows what James feels like when that happens, they should have kept it going when it evolved.     Spoiler:
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

This episode was cool... It reminded me the episodes with Treeck, Chikorita and Bulbasaur, and here too, the Grass pokemon defended the wild weak pokemon as Linoone and Geodude. But of course it was kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow's Tara View Post
    And then evolved into Torterra, can you imagine a Torterra chasing Ash trying to bite on his head lol and Ash running away[/Spoil]
    Hahaha that would never get old.
    So, five episodes into Sinnoh and Ash already has a party of four pokemon. In my Pearl version I didn't have four pokemon in my party until I reached the Eterna Forest. Seems like the writers are trying to cram everything important into these first few episodes. Well, Ash is continuing his catch-the-grass-type-starter-pokemon-from-each-generation streak. I like how in the Pikachu vs Turtwig battle Turtwig used Bite on Pikachu's tail and Pikachu Iron Tailed Turtwig into a tree. That was my favorite part. Also, Turtwig biting Ash's head was kind of cute.

Yup! Ash catch his 2nd Sinnoh poke, Turtwig, it was my 1st poke in Platinum! I love it! <333

Nice ep overall, it reminded me of Bulbasaur hidden village nostalgic!!!

9.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by Bliksem View Post
    From the pictures, this episode looks entertaining. Sadly, though, the moment I saw Naetle, I knew it was similar in personality. I'm glad, though, that it has its own defining characteristics.

And Ash's Pokemon seem in love with his hat...
    I was thinking the exact same thing!

At first I thought that Turtwig was only the second Pokemon Ash has caught this season (not including Pikachu, he's always with him). But I always forget that he has Aipom with him as well.

I think I'm the first one to point this out but, did anyone else find it adorable how Turtwig was sitting with Ash in that one scene?
    Alpha Sapphire planned team (so far)

Claimed by me!

Mega Wishlist:

Ash's Turwig had more speed than an ordinary Turtwig

This episode was ok... It was cool to see Ash befriend Turtwig and then keep it. It was cool that Turtwig knows Synthesis. Finally 1 of Ash's Pokemon know their own healing move. It's cool and unexpected that Turtwig knows Bite attack. It's funny how Turtwig just loves to bite Ash's head for affection. Turtwig is one quick Pokemon.

43/100

Well....the episode was.......interesting......

I did like that Ash got Turtwig. n_n

Ash catching Turtwig was ok.

i miss the good fast powerful twiggy

Magikrap + pikachu + turtwig =

Poketastic episode
    I was born to break rules

Poor Turtwig (or Torterra). I really think he should have been the star of Sinnoh instead of Ugly Monkey. Oh well. This was a nice episode.

I love this episode. Ash catches Turtwig, one of my favorite Pokemon in this series . The battle between Turtwig and Pikachu also kinda reminds me of Bulbasaur vs Pikachu back in the 1st season.
    I give this a 9/10
    Last edited by Dawn+Serena Fan; 24th August 2012 at 10:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast