Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Different Strokes For Different Blokes! (474)

Wow...Shinji keeping the Ursaring..surprising! But anyway, I really like this episode. Ash being confused by the Stantler, Naetle's personality throughout the episode....I thought the episode was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    I felt a little sorry for Hikozaru when it was scolded at for cheering because it won, but on the other hand, it adds to Shinji's uniqueness as a character.
    I'm curious if it was scolded merely for cheering or because Shinji thought it had nothing worth cheering about, i.e. he was telling it it should have had no trouble defeating a Grass type and thus was disappointed in it (we do know he can be disappointed in his pokemon even when they win).
    The defender of all things Pokemon! I shall defend Pokemon from all who speak against it! AKA Jonathan

so what the hecks up with stantler? it was hard to see what he did with it from just the pics
    it was also hard to tell what he did with ursaring, i know he scanned it and since it wasnt in the rest of the ep im guessing he thought it was good and kept it
    dam although being a beginner, shinji is soo much freakin better than ash in every way possible specifically in battling

Quote Originally Posted by gamefreak5034 View Post
    so what the hecks up with stantler? it was hard to see what he did with it from just the pics
    it was also hard to tell what he did with ursaring, i know he scanned it and since it wasnt in the rest of the ep im guessing he thought it was good and kept it
    dam although being a beginner, shinji is soo much freakin better than ash in every way possible specifically in battling
    Do we actually know that he's a beginner? Seemed to me from his previous appearence that his Hikozaru was not his starter since he apparently remarked that it was still too weak to use after it lost to Aipom. If anything his Elekid is his starter and he's been training for a while, though clearly not for that long.

And we can't exactly say he's better than Ash in battling, given that their two battles consisted of Ash's newly caught bird being beaten, his more experienced Aipom winning, and Pikachu (though getting knocked out) knocking out Elekid even though it basically only managed to get one hit in and unintentionally powered Elekid up, and lastly Ash losing when at a type disadvantage with a newly caught pokemon.

Shinji is badass yes, but I don't think we've yet seen just how good of a trainer he is compared to Ash as Ash has yet to battle him at remotely full strength (Snorlax or Sceptile might be able to handle his full team alone, except maybe Ursaring).
    The defender of all things Pokemon! I shall defend Pokemon from all who speak against it! AKA Jonathan

Anyone else think it felt really weird hearing Advance Adventure in DP? I mean, I know they've used older songs in the past, but that was the #1 theme symbolic of AG. (*envisions CC replying to the above with "because the writers are trying to make DP as much of a rehash of AG as they can."*)

I'm glad Naetle at least put up somewhat of a fight in spite of the type advantage, so it wasn't completely embarrassing like Pikachu vs. Elekible. Obviously Naetle still has some trust issues to work out with Ash, though. Naetle, as one of Ash's Pokemon, you're going to be told to do some crazy stuff that doesn't make a whole lot of sense at first. Just get used to it.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Fan View Post
    Do we actually know that he's a beginner? Seemed to me from his previous appearence that his Hikozaru was not his starter since he apparently remarked that it was still too weak to use after it lost to Aipom. If anything his Elekid is his starter and he's been training for a while, though clearly not for that long.

And we can't exactly say he's better than Ash in battling, given that their two battles consisted of Ash's newly caught bird being beaten, his more experienced Aipom winning, and Pikachu (though getting knocked out) knocking out Elekid even though it basically only managed to get one hit in and unintentionally powered Elekid up, and lastly Ash losing when at a type disadvantage with a newly caught pokemon.

Shinji is badass yes, but I don't think we've yet seen just how good of a trainer he is compared to Ash as Ash has yet to battle him at remotely full strength (Snorlax or Sceptile might be able to handle his full team alone, except maybe Ursaring).
    I agree with you about Shinji, I not too convinced Shinji being overall better trainer than Ash since so far the Pokemon Ash is using his newest ones which he and the Pokemon aren't familiar with each other. Also as well a fact he is a beginner trainer either since that Elekid looks experienced and rare for a really inexperienced trainer to use it so well.

But I do admit the battles were really entertaining, and I really like Shinji's dark personality which gets my attention.

I saw this episode in motion, and it had it comedic moments and the same time, enrage moments. Ash in this episode was so funny, i busted out laughing how he was hypnotized I would say the third or fourth time and he's swimming through fantasy blue land and enjoying it, and as Shinji shows up, I bet he was like, "Deat Lord" in his mind. I also like the fact Ash and Naetoru got chased by Beedrills and an Ursanring, and it started by a curious little Stanler. Then also when Team Rocket showed up, it looked like they didn't know them, funny intro. And also, I was surprised Shinji said "shut up" in Japanese when Ash was panicking.

Naetoru is so cute and reminds me of Spike from Land Before Time, don't know why but it really does to me. But I saw how it hestitated on its first time around when battled. To me, I don't think Naetoru had enough trust on Ash yet, since it did whatever it wanted. Then after getting known each other, the overall performance was better, but being inexperienced battler and type disadvantage not surprised Ash lost. And I knew it before the battle started.

I'm really liking how the writers are going with Diamond and Pearl, they gave more uses in the Pokedex, and it is not anything I seen from the three other sagas. Shinji obviously uses it for status, Ash and Hikari for Poke info, and I think it looked like you could look up attacks they have without even owning it, might be wrong since Ash scanned the Stanler what attacks I think they have.

I got one question, what did Shinji say to tick off Ash, Brock, Hikari, and the Pokemon as well? Did he call them pathehic, weak or something? I was like whoa, and I think he likes to be hater to people.

If Shinji wasn't a beginning trainer, his Elekid would have evolved by now, as I doubt Shinji is an idiot who doesn't let his pokemon get to their fullest potential like Satoshi.

So, he is a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by SOS! Its Not Healthy.. View Post
    I got one question, what did Shinji say to tick off Ash, Brock, Hikari, and the Pokemon as well? Did he call them pathehic, weak or something? I was like whoa, and I think he likes to be hater to people.
    He said that if someone is useless, they will always be useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by SOS! Its Not Healthy.. View Post
    and I think it looked like you could look up attacks they have without even owning it, might be wrong since Ash scanned the Stanler what attacks I think they have.
    No, a capture is required before scanning for attacks. Why else do you think Shinji captures first, then scans? The reason Ash checked the Pokedex the second time was just a double-check. It didn't go through the whole entry, he was just kind of re-reading what it said the first time (the scene mentioned above where he checked the Pokedex and realized that he could avoid the hypnotism if he didn't look at the horns).
    Quote Originally Posted by gamefreak5034 View Post
    He released Stantler. He figured Ursaring was "not bad", and kept it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Fan View Post
    Pretty sure Hikozaru was indeed his starter. If it was able to battle a tough Ursaring long enough so Shinji could capture it, no doubt it did the same thing with Elekid.
    Last edited by Geodude; 28th October 2006 at 5:19 AM.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

im beginning to hate ash now

why cant he catch pokemon like shinji?

Oh noes, Ash didn't catch an Ursaring, let's hate him now!

Uh-huh. They did the same thing with Gary catching tons of Pokemon back in Kanto, why are you complaining now?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuddyBud View Post
    why cant he catch pokemon like shinji?
    That's not who he is, which you should know by now after 9 years or so of the anime. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    He said that if someone is useless, they will always be useless.
    Really, he said that, wow, I would never thought he would say that, but thats Shinji. I would be mad as well if someone said that to me.

No, a capture is required before scanning for attacks. Why else do you think Shinji captures first, then scans? The reason Ash checked the Pokedex the second time was just a double-check. It didn't go through the whole entry, he was just kind of re-reading what it said the first time (the scene mentioned above where he checked the Pokedex and realized that he could avoid the hypnotism if he didn't look at the horns).
    Ah, okay, I wasn't sure since I could pick a little bit of Japanese, and it made me think that he would know the attacks. But thats what happens if there is not a guide there for me. Thanks so much!

I just finished watching the episode a while ago.

Seems that at the beginning, Pocchama got into a little b*tch fight with Aipom because she wouldn't give it that fruit she picked from the trees to it. So when Aipom bumps it's head on the tree - dropping the fruit towards Pocchama, Pocchama ate it and then they got into the b*tch fight (lol it doesn't seem to get along well with monkeys. o.o), of course Naetle calms them down with it's Razor Leaf/Leaf Cutter (but not before it gets smacked into a tree). Hilarious. ^^ We really do need more Pokemon interaction like that more often.

Wait, you mean you people noticed Shinji uses the Zukan to scan his captured Pokemon just now? I thought everybody noticed that he scanned the Mukkuru he captured way back in DP003...o_O

Thanks to Shinji's badass-ness, Rocket Gang was only in the episode for 5 minutes (Hinoko!?!). =D The battle was good (partly because it was animated by Iwane). I guess the only reason Satoshi lost that battle to Shinji, was because of obvious type advantage and that it was a little hesistant at dodging attacks (also because Satoshi just recently caught it). Shinji's last line to Satoshi-tachi made me like his character even more.

And Satoshi getting struck by the illusions caused by Odoshishi's Hypnosis was priceless. I haven't laughed that hard since Harley.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi View Post
    Wait, you mean you people noticed Shinji uses the Zukan to scan his captured Pokemon just now? I thought everybody noticed that he scanned the Mukkuru he captured way back in DP003...o_O
    People have very short memories for some reason when it comes to Japanese episodes. That or they look at pics and go to threads for some eps and not others, then wonder why they're confused about things. -_-

Shinji called Ash useless at the end? That is great XD I knew one day he will get a rival like that.

Anyways, great episode, can't wait to learn more about Shinji, he is by far the best rival we had and a hard one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi View Post
    Wait, you mean you people noticed Shinji uses the Zukan to scan his captured Pokemon just now? I thought everybody noticed that he scanned the Mukkuru he captured way back in DP003...o_Os
    You consider three episodes a go a long time ago? In D/P003 he didn't scan the PokéBalls like he did in this episode which is why people are asking what he was doing.
    Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are remakes, confirmed.

Why do i have the feeling that at the end of the D/P Saga, Shinji will have a really long list of Pokemon he has had in his Character Bio?

I don't see what's wrong about Stantler, they can be pretty good.

I think Ursaring won't stay for too long, however. It seems pretty unfair when he's fighting Ash, Ash has got four non-evolved Pokemon, and he has a super-powerful Elekid (is it just me, or do the writers make each encountered Elekid way overpowered?), and a pretty strong Hikozaru, and then he has an Ursaring. Kinda upsets the balance.
    [IMG]http://*******.com/1oot2q[/IMG] Me, Flametrainer!!!!!! Me love Fire pokemon!!!!!

FlameTrainer's PokePet

Morphion the level 50 Dorapion!

FlameTrainer's PokePet

Mantiny the level 5 Tamanta!

This is currently the best D/P ep imo. Plenty of funny moments and a lot of development going on, which is always good~

Wow, looks like the writers are going all-out in an attempt to make Naetle as different from Bulbasaur as possible. They've even given it's Razor Leaf attack a new twist; Now it seems the leaves themselves are coated in plastic explosive. Remind me to give them more credit in the future!

In all seriousness however: I'm not a big fan of Naetle at all, but Ash's capture is pretty likeable, I must admit. I found it much more enjoyable to watch this time around, as opposed to last weeks episode.
    Hell, even Ash managed to be a lot more entertaining this time around. Between the bizzare antler-induced hallucinations, running into trees whilst covering his eyes and the token bonding scene with his new pokéfriend, I actually gained a smidge of hope that he'll be able to keep the interest of this particular non-fangirl during DP~

I think it's rather interesting that Hikozaru seemed to be having so much fun with that battle. The constant smirk of joy slapped across it's face, tormenting it's turtloid oppenent as it popped out of the holes Whack-A-Mole style. I hope they build upon that aspect of it's personallity in future episodes. It would be nice to see a pokémon of Shinji's that isn't just battle-fodder, and thus far Hiko seems like the best candidate. I guess when you're stuck with a trainer like Shinji, fighting against other pokémon is the only real chance at amusement you're going to get, so you may as well go with the flow.
    And speaking of the battle, I really liked it. Excellent animation aside, Shinji's elaborate strategies were quite cool. Using the holes in the battlefield to his advantage whenever possible ie. dragging Naetle into the hole and then using Flame Wheel underground...kinda dissapointing we didn't actually get to see that first hand actually. In any case, this really holds a lot of promise for Shinji becoming one of Ash's most interesting challengers in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing how he utilises pokémon like Murkrow for example.

I know they're overdone at this point, but I really like random Ursaring attacks. They always seem so much more entertainingl than the Beedrill swarms lurking in the bushes. I think it's mainly due to the fact that Ursaring seems to be constantly vexxed about absolutely nothing. You've gotta love pokémon in serious need of anger management y'know

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    You consider three episodes a go a long time ago?
    No, I don't. The "way back..." thing was an exaggeration at how bad people's memory spans are. --;
    In D/P003 he didn't scan the PokéBalls like he did in this episode which is why people are asking what he was doing.
    What's the difference? He was scanning the Mukkuru to see which one was good enough to be in his team and he scanned the Monster Balls to see if Odoshishi and Ringuma were good enough to be on his team. HARDLY a mystery there. If he was scanning the Mukkuru in DP003, then he's obviously scanning the Monster Balls in this episode.

And even if they did only see the episode pictures, there was context clues (Shinji letting Odoshishi go after he scanned it's Monster Ball, Shinji keeping Ringuma after he scanned it's Monster Ball).
    Last edited by Satoshi; 28th October 2006 at 5:34 PM. Reason: What's up with me and typing in random words like "then" in the middle of a sentence? o_O
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
    This is currently the best D/P ep imo. Plenty of funny moments and a lot of development going on, which is always good~

I think it's rather interesting that Hikozaru seemed to be having so much fun with that battle. The constant smirk of joy slapped across it's face, tormenting it's turtloid oppenent as it popped out of the holes Whack-A-Mole style. I hope they build upon that aspect of it's personallity in future episodes. It would be nice to see a pokémon of Shinji's that isn't just battle-fodder, and thus far Hiko seems like the best candidate. I guess when you're stuck with a trainer like Shinji, fighting against other pokémon is the only real chance at amusement you're going to get, so you may as well go with the flow.
    And speaking of the battle, I really liked it. Excellent animation aside, Shinji's elaborate strategies were quite cool. Using the holes in the battlefield to his advantage whenever possible ie. dragging Naetle into the hole and then using Flame Wheel underground...kinda dissapointing we didn't actually get to see that first hand actually. In any case, this really holds a lot of promise for Shinji becoming one of Ash's most interesting challengers in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing how he utilises pokémon like Murkrow for example.
    i like hikozaru even more now since i saw it. i will be definitley be picking it in the game. i hope its pesonality doesn't change when it evolves either. i cant wait to see his murkrow in action i wonder what its attacks will be?

This episode was hilarious. When the swarm of Beedrill that were chasing Ash caught sight of Ursaring and high tailed it, I actually laughed out loud. Definitely the funniest episode so far.

Does anyone know what Shinji told Hikozaru before he recalled it? Because it stopped dancing and put its head down in shame right before it was put back into its Pokeball. I'm guessing Shinji's Pokemon aren't allowed to have fun either?

Also I like Naetle quite a bit... aside from the fact that I'm planning on using one myself when I get Pearl, I just found it pretty fun to watch. It feels "hardier" than Bulbasaur, and it kind of reminds me of a dog in someways... I dunno hard to explain. I have to wonder how it holds apples with those elephant feet it has though :P

This episode = Comedy gold.
    Not silver, not bronze, not even the cheap crap your grandmother's jewelry are made of, nuh uh. Gold.

Shinji was one little SOB. Or BOB. Or BOS. Or OBS. Or all of them!

Either way, I've predicted a future episode:
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42126213/

Who needs words?

The whole;
    "Aaaahh, Stantler!"
    *covers eyes*
    *bonk*
    "D:?!"
    *flee
    Had me laugh out loud. Or when Team Rocket interrupted Ash and Shinji's battle and how they reacted when they noticed Shinji and how they didn't capture Pikachu and James began to weep when trying to introduce themselves.

GOLD, I SAY!

My El Jay
    Used-to-be-President of the Eeveelution Evolution club

Currently on hiatus from this place. [Insert witty remark here.]

Quote Originally Posted by Brinstar View Post
    Does anyone know what Shinji told Hikozaru before he recalled it? Because it stopped dancing and put its head down in shame right before it was put back into its Pokeball. I'm guessing Shinji's Pokemon aren't allowed to have fun either?
    Shinji was disappointed in Hiko's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chatsy View Post
    This episode = Comedy gold.
    Not silver, not bronze, not even the cheap crap your grandmother's jewelry are made of, nuh uh. Gold.

Shinji was one little SOB. Or BOB. Or BOS. Or OBS. Or all of them!

Either way, I've predicted a future episode:
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42126213/

Who needs words?

The whole;
    "Aaaahh, Stantler!"
    *covers eyes*
    *bonk*
    "D:?!"
    *flee
    Had me laugh out loud. Or when Team Rocket interrupted Ash and Shinji's battle and how they reacted when they noticed Shinji and how they didn't capture Pikachu and James began to weep when trying to introduce themselves.

GOLD, I SAY!
    Yah I agree it def was funniest episode so far. Man I can't wait for the next appearnce of Shinji. Team Rockets reaction to Shinji was too funny LOL, I can tell yah by the next time he comes back hey'll think Team Rocket isn't worth his time. Might think that already but it sure would be funny if he said that to Team Rockets face.

Yeah it was so funny when TR is doing the motto and all of a sudden:
    Shinji: "Hinoko!" ("Ember!")
    Jessie: "Hinoko!"
    Jessie and James: "Hinoko?"

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky~40 View Post
    Shinji was disappointed in Hiko's performance.
    Yeah I think his attitude was that due to the type advantage, the battle should have been over much sooner, therefore Hikozaru didn't battle well enough and had no reason to celebrate. Or something like that.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast