Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Different Strokes For Different Blokes! (474)

Cool episode. Paul's so different to many of the other trainers and rivals Ash meets, it adds freshness to the anime. Another great battle between the two, and it was a nice change to not give Team Rocket much screen time.

I also liked how they distorted the music during the alternate reality scenes, it added a cool touch.

9/10.

I now officially love Paul. This episode was good.

But Paul uses the word 'pathetic' too much. And either that's his catchphrase or he just says 'Are we done yet/Are you done yet?' waaaay too much.
    Orly?

Paul is good but is kinda a jerk but your right Ash does need someone to talk to him like that and it looks like battles are more intense in this season which makes the show cooler

This episode was good, but the music edits were terrible. How much was kept, two pieces?

At least they played the Advance Adventure instrumentals. Best. BGM. Evar.

Credit to Mimiori Kiryu for the SONVA banner.

I claimed Midna as my bishie in the bishie thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikozaru390 View Post
    At least they played the Advance Adventure instrumentals. Best. BGM. Evar.
    Exactly.

Great episode, in my eyes, Paul kicked *** and did it with his usual negative attitude, which has made me fall in love with his character, though he does seem to say 'pathetic' a little TOO much...

The whole Stantler thing was entertaining also, though a little repetetive.

9/10
    Subliminal rules: how to live, how to die.

FB ~ PC ~ PASBL

-I loved the way Paul made it down the cliff.

-Ash and Turtwig didn't run into Brock and Dawn when they walked back?

-I also loved the way the Beedrill flew away when Ursaring appeared.

-Stantler's hypnosis attacks weren't good enough for Paul? What are they, moves that weren't authorized by the Pokemon league or something?

-Paul calls Chimchar his "friend" and then says that friends are useless? Must be a dub thing.

-When I was watching this episode, I thought, wouldn't it be interesting if Gary showed up one time Paul started insulting Ash and tell Paul what a great trainer Ash was? Yeah.
    Reminder from August 09, 2010- Name my future Reshiram "Griffin"...

My Current HeartGold Team:

If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

STILL REJECTING PMs. SORRY. (No offense to anyone.)

A excellent episode. With great battles and more into how the anime uses the pokedex in different ways.
    Friend Code for Pokemon Y: 1521-2881-0277 PM me if you want to battle or trade

Quote Originally Posted by Hikozaru390
    This episode was good, but the music edits were terrible. How much was kept, two pieces?
    They kept five.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

Lesse...

Ash's New Theme (YES!)
    Advanced Adventure Instrumental (YES!)
    Team Rocket Motto (basically a given)
    And I think two pieces of DP Battle music.

Sushi Bunny is offline ハチミツをたべてる フっフっフっ

This has to be one of my favorite episodes of Pokemon. I find Paul/ Shinji (can't make up mind as to what to call him) More comical then mean. Every time he said the word "pathetic" I would die laughing. I counted him saying it five times! Must be his favorite word, along with loser and Lame.

I liked it when James was giving the "Twerp of a different color" His education lesson about Team Rocket.

Ash seeing illusions was hysterical! When he was flying, all I could here in my head was, "Ashy in the sky with diamonds". And even more funny was the fact that Shinji/Paul saw him!

And Ash just couldn't resist giving an Ursaring a hug (well that's what it looked like). When they were running away from Ursaring and they came across Paul/Shinji, I thought it was weird when he said "look out", it seemed more like he should have said "move it" instead.

And every time Brock and Hikari/Dawn appeared, I expected them to say, "I think this line is mostly filler".

Well after that Shinji is becoming one of my favorite characters, Just because he's so terrifying. He's Mr. Grump Puss.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC CartoGuy View Post
    -Paul calls Chimchar his "friend" and then says that friends are useless? Must be a dub thing.
    O.o My sister said the exact same thing.

L o v eC o m

The animation just keeps getting better. I don't mean the cgi, although it's fairly nice. I'm more impressed with the new battle animations though. Flame wheel was quite nice to watch, and I like the way Chimchar's cheeks puff with each Ember.

I'm also liking Shinji more and more. I think they're trying a bit too hard with the dialogue to make him sound full of himself, but I like his style of training. Not that I completely agree with it, it's just nice to see something different.

I liked the episode itself. It was fun, it was nice seeing more Paul, more CHimchar(I love his little vicotry dance it did...jsut to get shut down by Paul ), and really lovin' Turtiwig.

What I DIDN't care for, was Ash's voice. ALright, I'll admit it, I like Brock, Jessie, and Meowth's new voices. They grew on me. James still needs work, but its tolerable. It jsut sounded so...emotionless, and was really painful to hear. It's like the VA is trying to hard to sound like a guy. And that really messes up a few things, like the aforementioned laugh, but also things like yelling. Ugh. I mean, come on, she has been working with the voice for a while now, shouldn't she be getting into a nice groove by now?

Oh well, the episode was still enjoyable(someone needs to loop the Chimchar dance! It'll be the next internet phenomenon(do do dododo)!)

I'd laugh so hard if Shinji continues to beat Ash every time, but ofcourse, the main charcter can not lose to the antagonist character every time. hinji will probably lose by a fluke or another Pikachu KO'ing Onix battle. I.E:Turtwig defeating Ursaring.(like hell that would happen)

Overall, Shinji pwns, Ash once again loses to Shinji(YAY), and Dawn nor Brock did anything the entire episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl's Perap View Post
    he does seem to say 'pathetic' a little TOO much...
    What else would you expect from an arrogant yet formidable trainer who doesn't care about anything let alone his pokemon?

BTW, what sort of trash talk did Paul give to Ash?

The dub did a really great job with this episode.
    Last edited by Kabuto; 16th June 2007 at 8:50 PM.

Besides the word "pathetic", what else did Paul say throughout the entire episode?

For a 'filler' this episode was a rather good one, actually. The combination of Shinji, Chimchar, and the whole Stantler-mirages all shlepped together made it pretty darn funny at some points.

Firstly, Chimchar. By god I officially love that little flaming ape now. Just looking at it, you know that its just desperate to have some real fun. The whole Whac-a-mole thing when it was battling Turtwig was cute, and its voice is adorable. It's so interesting that they gave Shinji a Pokemon with a personality completely opposite to him, and I think they did a nice job of having it keep its lovable side, while at the same time delivering combos that are just Shinji-signature. Awesome~

The Stantler mirages were interesting, mainly what they did to the background music, gave it a 'distorted' feel and all that. And some of Ash's comments were just plain random, that you had to laugh. Like:the second time Ash gets confused by a Stantler, he says in this really dazed, dense voice: "A desert...in a forest?" (You gotta hear it to enjoy it.)
    And the time he was surrounded by the whole hoard of them, he was reading something off the PokeDex and said, "That's it! Don't look at the antlers!" and as soon as he looks up, he sees all of their antlers. And just before he drifts off into La-la land, he says in this really expressionless voice, "...I looked!"

Shinji was plain nasty in this one, which I love. The Voice Actor really nailed his voice; a good mix of arrogance, cockiness, and indifference. He did say 'pathetic' a bit too much for my taste, but that's probably his catch phrase or something so its not that big of a deal.

Besides the word "pathetic", what else did Paul say throughout the entire episode?
    Ooh, lots. Let me recall some good moments:
    -----------------
    (when James asks Carivine to fire off a Bullet Seed at Paul and Chimchar...)
    ASH: Quick, Paul! Get out of the way!
    SHINJI: (very forcefully) Be quiet!
    ASH: ...er...

---------
    (sometime later...)
    ASH: ...since we're both stuck in the forest, why don't we all try and get out together?
    SHINJI: That sounds stupid.
    ASH: What's so stupid about helping each other out?
    SHINJI: I don't need help from a little kid like you!

Not too sure about the last line...don't remember completely. He says something along those lines, though...
    He's so abrupt and sarcastic.....what a jerk....
    ....I love it~
    ------------
    (after catching a Stantler, he's checking the Pokedex data on it)

SHINJI: Come on! This Stantler only knows a simple Tackle attack? What a waste of time! (tosses Pokeball). Get out.
    ASH: I thought that Stantler just wanted to make friends!
    SHINJI: (while walking away) Friends are just....useless.
    ---------

SHINJI: (during second battle vs. Ash in the eppy) C'mon. When will this end?
    ASH: We end when I WIN!

... after battle...

SHINJI: (smirk) We end when I win.
    (Chimchar is celebrating cutely)
    SHINJI: (To Chimchar) Being pathetic is nothing to celebrate about.
    (Chimchar looks rejected. Awww...)

Pretty decent episode overall. Worth my time, just for the laughs and for Shinji~
    Can't wait to see him again at Oreburgh now ^.^
    "Why don't you buy your cane in a medical supply store like a normal cripple?"

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    (when James asks Carivine to fire off a Bullet Seed at Paul and Chimchar...)
    ASH: Quick, Paul! Get out of the way!
    SHINJI: (very forcefully) Be quiet!
    ASH: ...er...

---------
    (sometime later...)
    ASH: ...since we're both stuck in the forest, why don't we all try and get out together?
    SHINJI: That sounds stupid.
    ASH: What's so stupid about helping each other out?
    SHINJI: I don't need help from a little kid like you!

Not too sure about the last line...don't remember completely. He says something along those lines, though...
    He's so abrupt and sarcastic.....what a jerk....
    ....I love it~
    ------------
    (after catching a Stantler, he's checking the Pokedex data on it)

SHINJI: Come on! This Stantler only knows a simple Tackle attack? What a waste of time! (tosses Pokeball). Get out.
    ASH: I thought that Stantler just wanted to make friends!
    SHINJI: (while walking away) Friends are just....useless.
    ---------

SHINJI: (during second battle vs. Ash in the eppy) C'mon. When will this end?
    ASH: We end when I WIN!

... after battle...

SHINJI: (smirk) We end when I win.
    (Chimchar is celebrating cutely)
    SHINJI: (To Chimchar) Being pathetic is nothing to celebrate about.
    (Chimchar looks rejected. Awww...)

Pretty decent episode overall. Worth my time, just for the laughs and for Shinji~
    Can't wait to see him again at Oreburgh now ^.^
    I'm not too surprised that Paul said all that. Besides I've heard worse from Seto Kaiba Yu-Gi-Oh! where he would always treat Joey like dirt.

What else did Paul say?

In my honest opinion, Paul seems like the generic bad-attitude type of guy, but since "Fat Man Masamune" is missing in action, Gary turned good, Ritchie was too nice to be a threat (although I really really liked him), and everybody else seemed boring to me, I think that Paul will do more than just fine as Ash's new rival.
    Reminder from August 09, 2010- Name my future Reshiram "Griffin"...

My Current HeartGold Team:

If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

STILL REJECTING PMs. SORRY. (No offense to anyone.)

Quote Originally Posted by MJC CartoGuy View Post
    In my honest opinion, Paul seems like the generic bad-attitude type of guy, but since "Fat Man Masamune" is missing in action, Gary turned good, Ritchie was too nice to be a threat (although I really really liked him), and everybody else seemed boring to me, I think that Paul will do more than just fine as Ash's new rival.
    I can understand that Richie is somewhat of a "goody-two shoes" rival, but Gary still has his cockiness, so I can't really say that Gary has actually turned good.

As for Paul, even he's the first rival to treat his pokemon as badly as Ash, I don't think he's the very first character to have a complete disrespect for Pokemon. I'm certain that there have been a few minor characters throughout the past years that might have had a disregard for Pokemon (sorry if I'm being dramatic).

Finally saw the episode on youtube because I fell asleep when it aired on Cartoon Network.

I wasn't really happy with this episode. To put in another sense, I didn't like this episode that much. It's mostly because I'm not a fan of Shinji/Paul at all. But in a sense, I noticed some strange similarities to one of my favorite episodes of Hoenn (Who, What, Where, When, Wynaut), well mostly having to do with being lost in a strange place with someone you don't really get along with (most likely a rival). And another thing I had to mention was when Ash and Turtwig were halucinating into swimming and Paul sees them on the ground, I couldn't help but laugh at that.

DENTO-FRUIT
    100% fruit for 100% real fangirls

What was the last thing Paul said to Ash before he left?

How he didnt have time to talk to a loser like ash. Seriously, that's what he said.

i thought paul was kind of harsh when ash said he didnt know about the forest they where in. I mean, ash wasnt born in sinnoh so he wouldnt really know about the different places.

Quote Originally Posted by 09Murphym View Post
    How he didnt have time to talk to a loser like ash. Seriously, that's what he said.
    I've heard Gary said the exact thing once before.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast