Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: General Anime and Manga Discussion: Because Why Not?

Default General Anime and Manga Discussion: Because Why Not?

Sure we have that other thread, but we don't really discuss general anime stuff ever outside that. So, we can use this thread to discuss anime that may or may not get noticed, like Gintama or Hidamari Sketch or manga like Pandora Hearts or Mahou Sensei Negima?!. Or you can talk about how that reveal in that one show didn't really surprise you and how you hate that new character.

So, basically you can talk about anything you like so long as it relates to anime and manga. You can have a big debate on how One Piece is worse than Naruto only to have the topic change to how Haruhi Suzumiya should get a 3rd season. You can say why SAO is better than AoT because the dub is better. Whatever. If you don't like the current topic, change it to how Aria the Animation/Natural/Origination is the best slice of life ever, and nothing else can compare to it.

Anyway, I'll get the ball rolling, I guess

I feel that Ping Pong The Animation, which is airing this spring, is deeply unappreciated. No one really mentions it, but it's been doing so many things right, I don't understand why more people aren't watching it. The art is a nice departure from what we normally get, the story is a great coming of age type thing, and yet no one mentions it. People should go watch 2 or 3 episodes and tell me that it isn't good or that its not a coming of age story. Go watch it for yourself. See if it isn't worth watching.
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."
    Douglas Adams

Spoiler:- Spoiler:

I need to get around to watching Ping Pong The Animation since I was excited about it. I've just been too caught up in other things that I've only been regularly keeping up with some airing anime, everything else is being collected in a folder for when I do finally get back to watching them. In the meantime, Selector Infected WIXOSS is getting really good. I personally saw nothing really wrong with it from the start, it pulled me right in from the get-go. Too many people judged it as a Madoka clone too soon (like what they did with Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou), and it's been picking up as of late. Considering it's probably getting a second season, there's really more to it than first believed, and I'm super excited to see where it goes.

Judging it as an anime and not as a manga, I think Gokukoku no Brynhildr is much better than Elfen Lied. I really don't know why Elfen Lied's anime adaptation is so popular when I thought it wasn't that great a show to begin with. I can see where its coming from, but I don't think the adaptation was handled that well, especially since the one character who plays a role in the manga was emitted from the adaptation just because the director didn't like her. Gokukoku no Brynhildr is being done by pretty much the same people who worked on Elfen Lied, and it looks so much better.

So I've been watching a lot of OVAs lately because why not? Last week, I finally watched Violence Jack, and it wasn't as bad as I was led to believe. It's still bad, but it's not as shocking or repulsive anymore like I'm sure it was way back in the day. I'm just still scratching my head at why it is the second OVA doesn't count as a hentai what with the rape-orgy. But I guess it's because it's a rape-orgy that it doesn't count as a hentai, even though I'm pretty sure there's rape hentai out there. I'll get around to Devilman at some point, and I'm considering watching Apocalypse Zero, even though I'm rather hesitant on it.

I'm rather curious as to what the loophole is on YouTube to allow these anime to be uploaded in their full glory, since some of the OVAs are on there.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Darkness View Post
    I feel that Ping Pong The Animation, which is airing this spring, is deeply unappreciated. No one really mentions it, but it's been doing so many things right, I don't understand why more people aren't watching it. The art is a nice departure from what we normally get, the story is a great coming of age type thing, and yet no one mentions it. People should go watch 2 or 3 episodes and tell me that it isn't good or that its not a coming of age story. Go watch it for yourself. See if it isn't worth watching.
    Well, my reasoning for not watching it is because of the art. Now, I know the art doesn't change the fact that the story is superb or whatever, (Aku no Hana is a perfect example. The manga was incredible, but the art in the anime was so god awful that I couldn't stand to watch it) but the art style is usually a make-it-or-break-it for me personally. If I can hardly stand to even LOOK at the anime, nothing is gonna stop me from pushing away from it, even if the story is incredible.

My 3DS FC: 3351-4281-5654. Message me if you want to fight in Smash or something.

I started watching the 2012 series for JoJo recently. First two eps didn't interest me a whole lot, but it's picked up since then plot wise. I don't know how I feel about changing protagonists though.

Watching Gintama and it's great, especially after Benizakura. Hopefully they continue the anime, since the manga is still on going and such.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:
    Anime List

I've heard Gintama is amazingly funny but I've also heard it has over 300 episodes so could someone recommend a number of episodes for me to watch because no way am I going to finish the series.

Hibiki wants hugs
        Spoiler:- My claims:

What a coincidence I was just suggesting the idea in general chat the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    So I've been watching a lot of OVAs lately because why not? Last week, I finally watched Violence Jack, and it wasn't as bad as I was led to believe. It's still bad, but it's not as shocking or repulsive anymore like I'm sure it was way back in the day. I'm just still scratching my head at why it is the second OVA doesn't count as a hentai what with the rape-orgy. But I guess it's because it's a rape-orgy that it doesn't count as a hentai, even though I'm pretty sure there's rape hentai out there. I'll get around to Devilman at some point, and I'm considering watching Apocalypse Zero, even though I'm rather hesitant on it.
    I've seen some clips of Amon the Wrath of Devilman, and it's the most violent thing I have ever seen. Though it may not be worse than Violence jack. (need to check out Devilman myself at some point to.)
    Last edited by Zazie; 2nd June 2014 at 3:00 AM.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    I've seen some clips of Amon the Wrath of Devilman, and it's the most violent thing I have ever seen. Though it may not be worse than Violence jack. (need to check out Devilman myself at some point to.)
    It's from the same person, so it's probably just as violent as Violence Jack. Apocalypse Zero probably is the most violent thing I've ever seen, and I only watched Sage's review of it. A girl being squeezed so hard her intestines and other organs come out of her mouth like toothpaste is not something I had ever seen prior to seeing that review. So if I do choose to watch that anime, God have mercy on my soul. And I'll be watching it dubbed, so I have to hear Birdramon's voice come out of an obese BDSM giantess. Not sure if that's worse than Gatomon/Angewomon with a man-eating vagina, but at least Edie Mirman didn't voice Wicked City's Spider Woman like what she would use later for either Gatomon or Angewomon (though I think she sounded closer to Angewomon anyway), and didn't have that many scenes.

Yeah, I do understand that the dub voice actors and actresses do and have done other projects besides children's anime, but when you never knew of those particular anime prior to being an adult, and you recognize the voices, you kinda die a little inside unless you think it's awesome. I still can't think of Yami Yugi without hearing "Cluck like a chicken!", and I hadn't even seen that anime, it was just an audio clip. (I don't know if he recorded his lines for that anime before or after Yu-Gi-Oh, so...)

Speaking of pointing out voices, I recognized Mike Pollock's voice in Demon Fighter Kocho after I came across it at random on MAL, so I sent it to my friend who's a fanboy for further confirmation before I came across the end credits to find his name there. Goofy's voice in Hyper Doll trumped it, though, I could hardly believe it when I looked it up because I thought it was mere coincidence at first. And I'm still debating whether-or-not Ted Lewis cared about the scripts he was given after hearing some of his earlier works in Orgun and Toushinden. Then again, considering the time of those works...
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow XD001 View Post
    I don't know how I feel about changing protagonists though.
    Trust me on this, you'll love Joseph.

I think we're both around the same part in Gintama. It's hasn't slowed down one bit, it's just been progressively getting better.

After listening to Chihayafuru music again, I demand a 3rd season in the next 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Joseph is best Jojo protagonist of the 3 so far. I still miss Speedwagon and Ceasar, though. "Speedwagon withdraws coolly"/"Speedwagon serenely skedaddles"

I think we're both around the same part in Gintama. It's hasn't slowed down one bit, it's just been progressively getting better.
    I think the biggest problem people have when I suggest Gintama to them is that it takes 60 episodes for Gintama to hit its stride. The first 30 or so are world building, and the 30 after that is Gintama experimenting, pretty much. Until Benizakura, you can't really Gintama is as good as it is afterwards.
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."
    Douglas Adams

I was looking around on MAL, and Joseph has the same VA as Gintoki. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06

Ever since Benizakura that's how I felt. So far, none of the arcs after that have been better than Benizakura but the one with Sogo's sister was pretty close.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:
    Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow XD001 View Post
    Ever since Benizakura that's how I felt. So far, none of the arcs after that have been better than Benizakura but the one with Sogo's sister was pretty close.
    There are 3 more arcs near/on par with Benizakura. Maybe 5 or 6

The first Shinsengumi one, around 100-105, followed by the first Yoshiwara arc, which is 137ish-145ish. Then, there's the Spider arc, which is 179ish-182ish, followed by the 4 Devas, which is 210ish-215ish, followed by Mawarugumi vs Shinsengumi, which is 242ish-246ish, and finally, the Shogun arc, which is 257?-261, which is my personal favorite. And the movie, which everyone should watch anyway. And maybe the Obi-Wan Kenobi arc, but you can decide on that one yourself

I omitted a few A lot of arcs, because they're more focused on comedy then Benizakura level stuff, and there are at least 7 or 8 of those.
    Douglas Adams

The last movie (hopefully just for now) is Gintama at its best if you ask me. I would put it on the same level as the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya as far as movies go.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

I liked the Benizakura arc but it's not what I'd call one of my favourites. Like I said in the other thread I didn't enjoy the focus on the swordsmiths that much. Still, I appreciate it as a turning point of the series even if it didn't click with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    The last movie (hopefully just for now) is Gintama at its best if you ask me. I would put it on the same level as the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya as far as movies go.
    I'm looking forward to it!

Didn't watch anything today because today was all about manga. I read the first 24 volumes of Berserk. It's pretty good. I'm a huge fan on the Souls series of video games and I love seeing where they got their influence from.

Now that I think about it, it's almost like the last Gintama movie was based off of Disappearance. Could just be me, however.

Anyway, I have something I'm going to rant about that's something fairly spoilerish for LotGH, so read at your own digression

Also, don't watch the episode previews. They spoil next episodes pretty bad

Spoiler:- Spoiler for LotGH:
    Douglas Adams

Also, don't watch the episode previews. They spoil next episodes pretty bad
    You mean like almost every show ever?

I don't enjoy episode previews that much...

You mean like almost every show ever?

I don't enjoy episode previews that much...
    Pretty much

The only one I really watch for is Hunter x Hunter, because I always need more Hunter x Hunter
    Douglas Adams

For me, Ping Pong's main draw is its art-style and the fact that it shares a director with Tatami Galaxy, which I've heard a lot of good things about. The plot is well-done too, definitely one of my favourites from the Noitamina slot. Also, I've been watching Clannad After Story lately. I feel like I've missed out on something here, what with barely anyone discussing it compared to 5/6 years ago. Amusingly enough, I expected this to be the case.
    Last edited by Pyrax; 5th June 2014 at 12:38 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Tumblr
    "Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything." - Adroc Thurston
    "The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate… Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope. Yet, the arcana is the means by which all is revealed. Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end. It matters not who you are… Death awaits you" - Nyx

We had a CLANNAD/Key Visual Arts thread about a year or so ago, so occasionally we get a thread about CLANNAD. Usually it's just blips here of there of "You need to watch CLANNAD", "I'm watching CLANNAD/After Story", "I hate Nagisa, Kyou/Tomoyo forever", "WHY WON'T THESE TEARS STOP", "I want Akio to be my dad", and the like. I think everyone's talked about just about everything there needs to say about CLANNAD, but if you want to discuss anything CLANNAD, go right ahead. One of us will hop right in. May or may not be referring to myself.
    I survived Pupa.

I don't understand why more people aren't watching Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? either

It's basically White Fox's Hidamari Sketch/K-ON! with cafe's and rabbits as its premise

Also we need another Hidamari Sketch season. They get better with every new one, I swear
    Douglas Adams

A new Hidamari season wouldn't be the same with Sae and Hiro are gone, unless they just chucked a Seitokai Yakuindomo and gave no ****s about following a timeline and just jumped randomly back in time.
    My Anime List

A new Hidamari season wouldn't be the same with Sae and Hiro are gone, unless they just chucked a Seitokai Yakuindomo and gave no ****s about following a timeline and just jumped randomly back in time.
    I heard they still have some focus, just not as much

Also, I went and found this: http://i.imgur.com/vXyrwNF.jpg

Goddamnit, Shaft I don't need those feels
    Douglas Adams

If it's anything at all like the K-ON! college/highschool split it just wont be as good.
    My Anime List

If it's anything at all like the K-ON! college/highschool split it just wont be as good.
    All I really know is that

Spoiler:- Mild Spoiler:
    Douglas Adams

I don't understand why more people aren't watching Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? either
    I'll take your word that it's good but I've seen a few scenes that seems a bit lewd. Am I going to feel like a pedophile watching this?

I'd be fine with that.

In the manga a new tenant got introduced but it'll be a while before they have enough material for a new season with her. In the meantime I'd want another season just to keep the show alive.

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast