Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do your parents feel about manga?

Default How do your parents feel about manga?

I don't exactly recieve a weekly allowance with money, per se, but at the end of every week my mom takes me to the city for shopping. This is how I obtain most of my manga.

One day, we were in line, and I had two volumes that I wanted to purchase. My mom took them from me, and at times she looks at the volumes while standing in line. Not really flipping through them, but sometimes she reads the back cover. Now, my mom had never had any problems with buying me manga based on ratings. They could be T+, or M, she wouldn't have a problem with it. But that day, she happened to notice the Explicit Content label on the cover of one volume, and asked me to put it back. In the end, I did get it because I basically began explaining to her about the volume in line, and how the content wasn't really THAT explicit. XP

A few times, my mom has sworn to stop buying me manga because she doesn't consider them "books," but I found that this is a vague threat and never happens.

She has also given me a few speeches on the mature nature of manga, and how she worries it affects me. XD But this is probably common.

Anyways, what do your parents think of manga?

+The arguments against the imaginary+
    +Fell together along a single stroke+

They don't care either way.

No one cares, but they have noticed I have way too much Shonen Jumps

n o e l - v e r m i l l i o n
    ノエル=ヴァーミリオン

Well, my mom doesn't really care. Every time we go to a book store, I pick out a manga, show it to her, and she buys it after questioning," Is this what you really want?" (I don't get an allowance, either.) She really trusts me.
    whoa man.
    russia. calm. chess.
    people. noise. sour.

hate blue. love pink. not really.
    oh btw, ♥ team stephen king.

"Why do waste your money on that Japanese crap!?!?"

Question answered.

I'm back until I get bored, srsly.

my parents dont care much i just buy them on my own sometimes to from money that i get from my grandparents.
    credit to DS lite man

Banner was over 46800 pixels, so it was fed to a hungry Leafeon. Read the signature rules.

Well, once I tried to use my 2 new volumes of Death Note as an excuse as to why I couldn't attend my cousin's wedding...

My mother just shook her head in disappointment and likely felt very grateful for the fact that I didn't turn out to be twins (or triplets).
    "I didn't know Vikings still existed."
    "They mostly live in Minnesota."

HARHAR @ POKE'HUMOR.

My dad doesn't take me shopping for them too often, but he thinks that manga isn't much more than an expensive comic book. On the other hand, my mom thinks it's perfectly fine. She liked manga when she was a kid. 8D
    [CENTER]Unleash your inner kidney.

I officially claimed Bananaphone by Raffi at the Claim-A-Song thread!

Hmmm...I don't really think my parents care all that much whether I like manga or not. My mum doesn't, at least. My dad seems to enjoy dissing my anime whenever the oppurtunity arises (look! Their mouths aren't moving in sync with the words LOL! >>), but I don't even think he know's I read manga. o_o Lol whatever. XD

-
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/5bxx86.png[/IMG]
    they see me rollin'
    they hatin'

My dad just gives me the money(I don't have an allowance either),I go into the bookstore and buy it and that's it. xD He doesn't care.
    banner by me,hikari images by pokesho
    song claim: Carpal Tunnel of Love by Fall Out Boy
    couple claims: Ruby/Wally, SilverxCrystal.

well, my mom doesn't really care, because my bro read manga when he was younger, but my dad ALWAYS says when he picks me up from school,"do you still read them japanese comics?"and i'm allike,"what the heck? its MANGA!there is a difference!"my dad doesn't really approve of me reading them, but he still buys me them
    >_> sometimes parents are ... just wierd,

My mom doesn't really care. Sure, all she really knows about them is that they read "backwards", but she's highly non-obtrusive about my interests(the lady doesn't even care that I'm still into Pokemon ) since I have a good track record of not getting into the (very few) things she wouldn't approve of. Although the furthest she'll go in buying them for me is paying for my subscription to Shonen Jump and occassionally buying them for me when it's Christmas/my birthday/when she has money to spare and we just so happen to be in Barnes & Noble. So yeah, she's stingy but good about being non-judgemental.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

As for my dad, he doesn't really care. He has asked me how to read manga before, and thinks that it is strange to read a book backwards.

But I will say this: if my parents found out the definition of yaoi, their perception of me would change drastically. =3

+The arguments against the imaginary+
    +Fell together along a single stroke+

First off, I'll begin by saying that whenever I buy manga out in public, I usually do it with my own money, and my parents don't even bother looking at what I bought, which is how I aquired Negima.

That being said, my parents really don't care that I read manga. Since I buy it with my own money, and since I have so much money in the first place, they could care less. And, since I buy most of my manga online and do much of the process myself, I don't actually have to tell them which manga I'm buying. I just pay them the money I owe and that's all of their involvement.

The Gym - Brock is an incompetent gym leader. Hilarity ensues.

My mom doesn't care but my dad thinks I'm crazy for getting into manga. D: Oh wells. If it makes me happy, I could seriously care less of what they think.

ONOMNOMNOM

Gif Credit | Amourshipping Contestshipping | Uta☆Pri fan

Play Shippers' Truth or Dare game with us!

My mom is basically neutral about it. She thinks it's interesting and listens when I talk about it, but doesn't read it or anything. She likes a couple of anime that my dad and I make her watch though. >D

My dad...he likes manga. He likes anime more, but sometimes he looks at manga when we're at the bookstore. I'm the REAL Japan nut in the family though.

My mother could careless~ My father doesn't care either, because he doesn't know what it is. XD
    [IMG]http://i42.*******.com/14xex68.gif[/IMG]

❝you were so great❞

Bishounen ☆ America
    Video game ☆ Ocarina of Time
    Video game character ☆ Solid Snake

My parents dont really care about it.

all they know are the words Naruto (which they pronounce wrong) and One Piece

they also know that it's read "backwards".

My mom dosnt care XD Ganon? He says, "Read somethin else, instead of comics." X3 But he still buys them for me on my birthday o.o; XD

Banner and sprites made by the amazing Hakuryuu! Thanks! <3

I love you Dara <33

8/11/07

My mother stopped caring what i did when i repeatedly watched Adult Swim and South Park behind her back. So, she doesnt really CARE as long as i dont develop habits from manga....too late on some things though lol

*~Yellow is my bishie!! ^_^~*

Neither of my parents really care either way. I just say I want this volume or these volumes, and I either pay for them or get them on present-giving occasions. They rarely bother to look at what I'm getting very thoroughly, and that's why I have a lot of the manga I do.
    I guess they're just happy I prefer to read books and manga and do physical activities rather than watch TV and eat junk food.
    Last edited by lightfairy475; 26th November 2006 at 2:45 AM.
    | Member of Serebiiforums for 1 year. YA RLY. |

Well my parents dont care really, i am old enough to decide what i want to spend my money on,

though a few times my mum has skimmed through my books just out of curiosty.

My mom loves manga and reads it oftenly.
    She sometimes buys her own manga for her to read and reads some of mine.
    Friend to all Serebii members and their Pokemon!
    Pals:TOO MANY! You know who you are
    Proud member of the Japanese Language, Animal Crossing , and Kirby Clubs!
    Pearl FC:2921 5691 2066 Name:HIRO

"This Manga won't help you much in any way; Besides, it's wasting our money! >> Plus, you could use this money and buy things that are worth buying!"

D:
    STRAWBERRIES : DD
    (they rock and don't deny it or I'll send the strawberry army after you)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast