Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How do your parents feel about manga?

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    My parents think buying manga is a waste of money.
    Yes, buying manga is a waste of money.

Just like everything else in the world.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Well, my parents think that it's making me act too subserviant... And it might be, a LITTLE, but with all the strong Female characters in it, it's really only two of my (finished) Manga that would influence me so. My dad refers to them as "Those backwards books", but otherwise they don't really care. Got four or fve volumes for Jesusmas this week. However, they constantly pick on me for still liking Pokémon. I've GOT to direct them to Dragonfree's stie someday so that they can read a better argument in the favor of Pokémon than what I can give them.
    In place of the legends,
    This nightmare ends!

They ask me why I'm still into "kiddy crap" but they still buy me some anyway. I generally don't ask for English translated manga. I've learned some stuff from my Japanese manga so they don't hesitate to get me that even though they hesitate going to a bookstore to get me manga there O_o.

Neither of my parents care at all.

Incident today: I was downtown with my mom in one of our regular bookshop browsing days, and had quite a lot of money to spend because of Christmas (about $50). We were in one bookstore, and I was just about ready to head over to the manga section, when my mom stops me and informs me that I am only allowed to spend half of my money on manga.

Now, I understood that my mom hates spending any kind of money -- no matter how it's earned -- all at once. But the fact remained: It was still my money, and I should have had the privilege to do what I wanted with it.

So, we go to another bookstore (Borders) and I waltz on over to the manga section and notice that they have a buy four, get one free deal. I inform my mom of this, and she reluctantly agrees. I end up spending about $40 of my own money.

When we exit the store, my mom begins to lecture me about how I shouldn't be spending all my money on manga, and I once again remind her that it is my money. This entire debate ends when she concludes that I'm not to buy any more manga for a month.

These types of things are quite common with my mom, so I don't take it very seriously. But that's just one way to describe how she feels about it. Though her feelings do change from mild interest to outright denial of me spending my money on it.

What can I say; parents are peculiar.

+The arguments against the imaginary+
    +Fell together along a single stroke+

My parents could care less about Manga. They don't even know what Anime is, so they don't know what Manga is anyway.
    bye i'm leaving.
    want to contact me?
    add my msn aar.brandon @ hotmail . com
    tell people i'm gone,
    i probably wont come back (:

Quote Originally Posted by +Rhapsody+ View Post
    Incident today: I was downtown with my mom in one of our regular bookshop browsing days, and had quite a lot of money to spend because of Christmas (about $50). We were in one bookstore, and I was just about ready to head over to the manga section, when my mom stops me and informs me that I am only allowed to spend half of my money on manga.
    Well, at least my mom doesn't do that. Sorta.

She doesn't care what I do with my money at all, although she usually dislikes that most of the things I spend my money on are videogame-related things. Otherwise, she leaves me alone (and this is because she never gives me money to begin with).

Luckily, I have a job, so I don't have to worry about going to the bookstore and having someone buy it for me like I used to. Then again, 99% of the time I'm buying my manga online.

Kinda glad I have a job too. When I was younger, my mom really never bought me anything specifically for me except clothes to wear, so my birthday and Christmas presents usually consisted of clothes with only one thing I REALLY wanted being from my Dad.

Onto the manga:

My parents don't care. My mom is sometimes intrigued, but doesn't really pay attention most of the time.
    Even when I read yaoi, she doesn't really care (she doesn't know what yaoi means, but when she sees the front she usually would know the content).

She doesn't hate gay people anyway, so she could care less (I'm glad I have a mom who's like that! ^_^).

Same with my dad.

So yeah, I get away with buying yaoi doujins ALL THE TIME. My parents simply don't mind, and I'm at least happy for that.
    Then again, I'm 17, so I SHOULD have that freedom when I'm nearly an adult already.
    Last edited by zonic the hedgehog; 31st December 2006 at 7:58 AM.
    xNodame is my Bishoujo! MUKYA! >:3
    xCurrently playing: MinDeaD BlooD (PC), Dairantou Smash Bros. X (Wii), No More Heroes (Wii) [Lots of stuff]
    xCurrently watching: Nothin' [Playing too many games]
    xCurrently listening: Ayako Ono - [TWO OF US]
    <---

[ HAZUKASHII~!]

{----------------------------------------------------------------------------}
    | Anime List | Youtube Account | Website |

Meh, my dad doesn't even know that I read Manga.
    Even though I have my Manga books lying all over the house. >_>;
    I really should go pick those up...
    Anywayy, my mother doesn't mind, only because she doesn't know what "Hentai" or "Shounen-Ai" is...thank God.

T a m a h o m e. <3

My parents don''t care I get what I get
    My friend finds it werid that the books a read like that. I don't mind it that way

Credit to Darkrukario and Chibi Pika for banners

Poke-Artists Club

Now, I understood that my mom hates spending any kind of money -- no matter how it's earned -- all at once. But the fact remained: It was still my money, and I should have had the privilege to do what I wanted with it.

So, we go to another bookstore (Borders) and I waltz on over to the manga section and notice that they have a buy four, get one free deal. I inform my mom of this, and she reluctantly agrees. I end up spending about $40 of my own money.

When we exit the store, my mom begins to lecture me about how I shouldn't be spending all my money on manga, and I once again remind her that it is my money. This entire debate ends when she concludes that I'm not to buy any more manga for a month.

These types of things are quite common with my mom, so I don't take it very seriously. But that's just one way to describe how she feels about it. Though her feelings do change from mild interest to outright denial of me spending my money on it.

What can I say; parents are peculiar.
    I am lucky!! I got loads C-Mas money, and bought a record 10 GNs in one week!! And started two new series, Beauty Pop and Full Moon O Sagashite. My parents often advise me that I shouldn't spend all my money on GNs, but they let me buy them.

...But what really bugs me is that THEY WON'T LET ME BE IN THE ANIME CLUB AT SCHOOL!!!! I want to be in this club very much. I really need more friends that like anime!! I have like, one. Um, they think I am more mean-spirited because of anime over the past few years. But I think it's because I am a teenager and teens can be more rebellious as they grow older!! I am really not a mean person, even though I just said that. The Gamers/Anime club only had 1 meeting so far. I showed up just to tell everybody that I couldn't come. They think manga is addictive (which it is) and a negative influence. I am so suprised that so many on this thread have parents that don't care!! I am going to make my parents read some manga to see that it's not all bad. I don't even read manga for "older teens" (16+), or yaoi (I hate it) or anything, but I just want to be in the club at school. If you think I am obsesing over this club way too much... I'm actually not.

So... parents are peculiar. I own 60+ GNs, but I can't join a club at school. (Probably because they don't want to take everything having to do with manga/anime away from me, because they know it makes me happy. How nice of them.) And they tell me they want me to make new friends. (I am at a new school this year. No, really- the school itself is brand new.)

In conclusion, my parents think that anime is okay... if it is limited.

Can someone help me?!?!?!
    Goodbye, everyone! I have left this forum because I keep having problems with the pages loading...
    Find me at saiyanisland, Brand New Breeze, and Deviantart.
    Azuma stays in my signature because he is win. =D
    READ LA CORDA D'ORO AND MY HEAVENLY HOCKEY CLUB!!!!!!! SAYONARA!!!!

My parents doesn't care about it, despise the fact that I've kept buying those mangas from Books-A-Million and WaldenBooks. My mother even said that she doesn't even want to stop me from buying those mangas.

<Made by Flame Haze SnS>
    ~Reincarnated from Dark Absol to Flame Haze SnS~
    To become a Flame Haze, one must be a vessel for the Lord of the Crimson Realm
    Anime Character Bishie: Shana from Shakugan no Shana
    Currently playing: Pokemon - Omega Ruby (3DS XL) and Assassin's Creed - Rogue (X-Box 360 S)

Once they made me put back a One Piece book because the title was the Crap Geezer
    X and Y are great games. But I bet you knew that already.

Quote Originally Posted by Sachiko
    ...But what really bugs me is that THEY WON'T LET ME BE IN THE ANIME CLUB AT SCHOOL!!!! I want to be in this club very much. I really need more friends that like anime!! I have like, one. Um, they think I am more mean-spirited because of anime over the past few years. But I think it's because I am a teenager and teens can be more rebellious as they grow older!! I am really not a mean person, even though I just said that. The Gamers/Anime club only had 1 meeting so far. I showed up just to tell everybody that I couldn't come. They think manga is addictive (which it is) and a negative influence. I am so suprised that so many on this thread have parents that don't care!! I am going to make my parents read some manga to see that it's not all bad. I don't even read manga for "older teens" (16+), or yaoi (I hate it) or anything, but I just want to be in the club at school. If you think I am obsesing over this club way too much... I'm actually not.
    My parents are pretty much neutral on the issue of manga, but it's just that my mom sometimes gets irritated from spending money on it. Otherwise, I buy manga every week.

I personally would love it if my parents actually read one of my manga series. I suggested Death Note to my mom once, but since then I haven't had the courage to give volume one to her due to the fact that Death Note basically involves a guy killing people. A lot of people. But then again, my mom loves mystery/suspense. And Death Note suits that genre.

Other than that, I wouldn't dare show my parents the contents of most of my manga. I don't read anything below the T rating, so some of my series (well, almost all) contain things my parents wouldn't approve of on second glance. Like yaoi.

One day, my mom came into my room searching for something, then paused briefly to look at my manga shelf. She stared at it for a while, then exclaimed "LEGAL DRUG?"

Me: "Yes. Legal drug is also defined as medicine."

For those of you who have read that series, I couldn't tell her the truth, now could I? =P

And if you hate yaoi, you have no idea what you're missing.

My parents are pretty much neutral on the issue of manga, but it's just that my mom sometimes gets irritated from spending money on it. Otherwise, I buy manga every week.

I personally would love it if my parents actually read one of my manga series. I suggested Death Note to my mom once, but since then I haven't had the courage to give volume one to her due to the fact that Death Note basically involves a guy killing people. A lot of people. But then again, my mom loves mystery/suspense. And Death Note suits that genre.

Other than that, I wouldn't dare show my parents the contents of most of my manga. I don't read anything below the T rating, so some of my series (well, almost all) contain things my parents wouldn't approve of on second glance. Like yaoi.

One day, my mom came into my room searching for something, then paused briefly to look at my manga shelf. She stared at it for a while, then exclaimed "LEGAL DRUG?"

Me: "Yes. Legal drug is also defined as medicine."

For those of you who have read that series, I couldn't tell her the truth, now could I? =P

And if you hate yaoi, you have no idea what you're missing.
    Well yeah, that's what I'm saying! I don't read anything ABOVE the T rating, or yaoi. Yet my parents still think manga is bad!! I forgot to mention that they also won't let me buy J-Pop CDs. I love J-Pop!! This gets me very upset and frustrated. It's not even funny.
    Goodbye, everyone! I have left this forum because I keep having problems with the pages loading...
    Find me at saiyanisland, Brand New Breeze, and Deviantart.
    Azuma stays in my signature because he is win. =D
    READ LA CORDA D'ORO AND MY HEAVENLY HOCKEY CLUB!!!!!!! SAYONARA!!!!

Luckily my parents don't care and actually encourage my interest in foreign stuff. My dad made a good point, though, once:
    "If she's buying all these books, she can't possibly have money left over for drugs."
    Manga's my anti-drug, apparantly. XD
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

I honestly don't think my parents have seen any manga (beisdes pokemon) that I own. I normally just by it myself

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopika
    Luckily my parents don't care and actually encourage my interest in foreign stuff. My dad made a good point, though, once:
    "If she's buying all these books, she can't possibly have money left over for drugs."
    Manga's my anti-drug, apparantly. XD
    True, that. Manga/anime is more addicting than crack. XD

My parents let me buy Manga all the time when Im shopping with them, most of the time, I get the manga books myself after school or whatever. I have a box in my room full of Graphic Novels, my parents think THAT is all the manga i have... I have more under my bed... my parents don't care about stuff I like as long as I get good grades in school, stay healthy etc. They also want me to read stuff so... I read manga.

Mom considers them 'cartoons' for 'children'. Dad just says they're weird.

I barely buy any Manga, but if I do...

Mom- She doesn't really care, but she says they're too expensive. That might be the reason that I basically have only one. o.O Sometimes she reads/skims through them (Once she looked through Pita Ten because she said that if it was good, she might buy more and another through Fruits Basket because she said she saw something weird.) Yeah. She knows that it goes backwards, though.

Dad- "You shouldn't waste your time reading those comic books." One of those 'be a doctor or dentist' type of fathers. He doesn't know anything about them anyhow.

Most of the time, I read online. xD
    [x] Deviantart

My family's totally cool with it; I miss the days, like, six years ago - where me, my older cousin, aunt, ect would collect Pokemon cards.

Those were the days.
    Koshiyo Tatoyo i O suYA Fool YO! YO!

My father will sometimes tease me about the manga I read, my mother thinks their bad for my health (and won't let me take them to school), and both of them, basically, think they're more like overpriced comic books, rather than well thought out plots with good art. All in alll, my father doesn't really care, and my mother uses them as an excuse to harp on me. xD
    [IMG]http://i4.*******.com/23ma0zc.png[/IMG]
    Who wants to poke the creepy 3-way hybrid? # of pokes= 6 currently (PM to poke)
        Spoiler:

*~Friends with Faerie and Illusionist_Kirby~*
    WBG by Faerie

My parents thoughts consist of 'heh heh, those books are backwards' before going off to do something else.

My parents are not bothered whatsoever about me reading manga, if anything they are more concerned about the 75 mile trip I have to make to the nearest manga shop to myself.

So long, best friend; Bryony Sarah White: 28/6/87 - 29/6/13
    Ships I've NamedTwitter

I don't exactly recieve a weekly allowance with money, per se, but at the end of every week my mom takes me to the city for shopping. This is how I obtain most of my manga.

One day, we were in line, and I had two volumes that I wanted to purchase. My mom took them from me, and at times she looks at the volumes while standing in line. Not really flipping through them, but sometimes she reads the back cover. Now, my mom had never had any problems with buying me manga based on ratings. They could be T+, or M, she wouldn't have a problem with it. But that day, she happened to notice the Explicit Content label on the cover of one volume, and asked me to put it back. In the end, I did get it because I basically began explaining to her about the volume in line, and how the content wasn't really THAT explicit. XP

A few times, my mom has sworn to stop buying me manga because she doesn't consider them "books," but I found that this is a vague threat and never happens.

She has also given me a few speeches on the mature nature of manga, and how she worries it affects me. XD But this is probably common.

Anyways, what do your parents think of manga?
    My mom is the only one who pays attention to that. As long as there is no nudity, homosexuals, people wearing very immodest clothing, Satanists, God-haters, major swears, sexual content, or anything else that's innappropriate for my age, I can read it. So that means no teen mangas until I'm older. And I'm thirteen. -_-
    I claimed Yamanaka Ino in the Bishie Thread.

My FanFiction profile My FanFiction forums My deviantART profile

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast