Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrival of a Rival (480)

i have yet to see or hear any evidence pointing that way. the only thing i have heard in that regard is that nozomi told ash to quit contest before their battle
    Satoshi said so himself. Do you need more evidence than that?

i totally agree with nozomi that ash should not battle in contests he lost like anything to nyaruma BTW what attack is it using with its paw
    Nozomi shouts out 'Sadoru Craw!'. I wonder what that makes that move?

Anyways, I enjoyed it. Especially Brain-damaged Masukippa. Kii!

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky~40 View Post
    It was like a tumor was pulsating from its head.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

when was this
    loyal supporter of advancepearlshipping (may/ash/hikari)

when was this

Quote Originally Posted by jaredstar View Post
    when was this
    During the episode, possibly? Who woulda guessed.

It was like a tumor was pulsating from its head.
    Meh.

i meant when in the ep franky

i meant when in the ep franky
    After their battle.

Hm, there was quite the opportunity to have Musashi win this one, but I guess the writers really won't have her win contests. Then again, Masukippa being Grass instead of Normal allowed Shadow Claw to lead to the win.

Mmm I liked the Jouto battle music they put there with Nyaruma against Aipom. Interesting how Shadow Claw was used in numerous ways against the Normal types (shrug then again contest battling builds on things like that). Although it was obvious that Nyaruma would win, it wasn't that imbalanced (unlike say, Milotic which doesn't lose contests at all). I did not expect the episode to run as a Nyaruma winning spree though, though showcasing the eventual winner works, and it is indeed a series of reasonable wins (but again it seemed like a nice opportunity for Masukippa to shine). More like, see cat beat monkey, see cat beat bunny, see cat beat ... levitating Dionaea muscipula (er I mean Venus Flytrap).

The writers didn't use opportunity cost in this manner (er no, that's not the right word, but basically the scenario where given characters battle out before the feature character. An example would be Haruka's first contest win, where Shuu was defeated by Grace to prevent a Haruka vs Shuu where Haruka wouldn't win, at all. Thus in this contest, no match ups between Satoshi, Hikari, or Musashi themselves, rather Nozomi just demolishes 2/3 of them and effectively gains victory.)

What I don't see is how Hikari will be a victor against Nozomi (if ever), aside from having more points left by the end of the 5 minutes. Well, no crushing victory occurred at least (okay so Satoshi got crushed worse than Musashi in a way since Aipom's attacks got rendered useless whereas Musashi was effectively countered by the Shadow Claw that couldn't hit Normal types.)

Though, isn't doing straight focus punches in a contest battle, strategically, really horrible?

Wow, big heads near the end, really big heads.

Hardly, S_P, considering that Aipom's only damaging attacks are Swift and Focus Punch. There's only so much that can be done with those.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Quote Originally Posted by S_P View Post
    Though, isn't doing straight focus punches in a contest battle, strategically, really horrible?
    We already know that Satoshi's style doesn't suit contests.

Like how Jessie managed to make it to the finals...with Masukippa!! Aipom put up a decent fight, here's hoping it learns a new attack though. I mean Focus Punch and Swift aren't enough attacks for it right?

I like how Nazomi wasn't as mean as I expected her to be when she told Ash not to do contests, and Hikari battling Nazomi and establishing their friendly rivalry is a plus too.

One question though: Do the pokemon trainers keep the stickers for their pokemon?

Just saw the episode, and I must say it really surprised me... Ash losing to Nozomi was priceless, I didn't expect him to. Talking about her, she made me like her even more now that she showed some personality... She just rocks, the best rival ever. Oh, and you crazy AG fanatics don't come to tell me Harley or Drew were the best, 'cause they weren't. Nobody can surpass Nozomi, nobody... In just two episodes she proved she's fantastic, oh yeeeep.
    About Hikari loss... Nothing new here, not really. And actually I liked she calling her mom after losing... I love this mommy's girl she is, hell yeah. =P
    And Jesse! Awww, she almost did it. Haha, of course we all know she'll never reach the winning of a contest, she proved she can do it fine, at least. And Masukippa's so funny, only its crazy expression make its scenes awesome... ^^
    5 stars for me, another awesome DP episode!
    Btw, could anyone tell me why were James and Meowth looking up to Jesse in a part? I didn't get that. Thx

She looked like a holy figure (what with the light Wobbuffet was manning), so they bowed.

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Shadow Claw can't hit a normal type, but a Shadow Ball can?

0.o

Masukippa sounded like R2 when he got slammed back and went "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAA!". Darn, here comes another 5 personalities, the thing already is mentally unstable...

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiro View Post
    WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Shadow Claw can't hit a normal type, but a Shadow Ball can?

0.o

Masukippa sounded like R2 when he got slammed back and went "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAA!". Darn, here comes another 5 personalities, the thing already is mentally unstable...
    Masukippa is the Sensui of Pokemon.

Thx, Franky ;-)

About the ghost-typed-attack hiting a normal poké... Strange. But don't forget, anime =/= games...
    Last edited by Weav-vile; 16th December 2006 at 1:47 AM.

that said where are people getting the idea that a person should only do one thing. it seems to me that if ash's dream is to be a pokemon master he should be well versed in all aspects of pokemon battling and training be it for contest or gym runs.
    Ash has proven he is decent in contests, so there is no need for him to keep doing them. Overall gym battles are better for learning to fight in many different situations and environments (as the environments in contest battles are usually the same).

Quote Originally Posted by S_P View Post
    Well Focus Punch is a lot easier to use in the anime than the games, and given that Nozomi remarked on how Ash would have won if the battle continued (with that Focus Punch about to hit Nyaramu in the face), I suspect Ash was counting on the Normal type weakness (which has been acknowledged in the anime with Snorlax, while at the same time making Snorlax not be weak to Fighting because of its immense endurance) to Fighting type moves like Focus Punch to OHKO Nyaramu.

Wow, big heads near the end, really big heads.
    I noticed that too, it was freakish...

As for how Hikari could reasonably come to beat Nozomi at some point, its just as reasonable as May beating Drew. Drew beat Ash just as Nozomi did. In both cases Ash was using a relatively new pokemon while they were using their most experienced and best, which contributed to the wins. Indeed, its even more acceptable for Hikari to catch up with Nozomi because unlike Drew's Roselia, Nozomi's Nyaramu didn't actually knock Ash's pokemon out and won on a technicality.

Not that I'm saying Nozomi is necessarily weaker than Drew (well she is weaker than Drew was by the end of Battle Frontier, but we're comparing how they were when we first met them), but you see my point.

<><><>

And so after all these seasons of having Ghost attacks work fine on Normal types they decided to at long last to incorporate that game element? I would have preferred they just kept Ghost moves working on every type for the sake of consistency, after all why should energy attacks like that not work on Normals? Normal not working on Ghost makes sense at least since the Ghost types can phase out their dimensions to become incorporeal.
    Last edited by Pokemon Fan; 16th December 2006 at 4:02 AM.
    The defender of all things Pokemon! I shall defend Pokemon from all who speak against it! AKA Jonathan

I don't mind Ash giving Hikari Aipom (or Eteboth if it's that by then), we won't lose it, and a open space opens for Ash, meaning if the writers do the boring fire/water, atleast they will have a space open for a different type.
    No, its like cheating. The point is to raise your own pokemon and has been something from the start. Thus why they make Jessie always lose and it would be wrong for a main character to do so.

Anyway, honestly I still don't see why Nozomi is liked so much. I haven't seen anything that strikes (to me) interesting. Sorry weav-vile but Shinji and May's rivals were far more interesting IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost master View Post
    Anyway, honestly I still don't see why Nozomi is liked so much. I haven't seen anything that strikes (to me) interesting.
    Since she seems to be a lesbian, people like her. It doesn't get more complicated than that.

Although I have to say, May had better rivals. At least at this point, Drew/Harley > Nozomi.

Oh-kay. I'd like to ask a question if I may: To anyone out there capable of reading Japanese, could they do me a favour by reading the end credits to find out who voices Maskippa? Because that (obviously high-larious) 'UWAAAAAA!!!' it let out after being pounded by Nyarmar's Shadow Claw, sounded an awful lot like Ueda. It may not have been as nasally, but it sounded suspiciously like his token scream for Coloredman.EXE...

Anyways, this was much better than last week's snooze fest, and if I may say so, I'm surprised that it wasn't a chore to look at. Usually i can't stand Shimura and her borderline mediocrity, but she did a pretty decent job here. Of course, it wasn't the best ever, but it was good for her standard at least.
    But animation aside, it was nicely written too. Nozomi, for example, was a slight step up from what she was last week and that was good while it lasted. Although having her revert back to that awful nicey-nice rival was a disappointment, it's cool to see that she does have a personality flaw that makes her interesting. In other words, her hasty nature. She seems to be quick to judge people, so I'm hoping they actually bring this aspect of her personality forward in future episodes. Sushi pretty much covered the rest already~
    But I’m still not impressed with Hikari. I guess the scene with her mother was ok, but it was inferior to Haruka’s emotional scene in her first contest. I know comparing these two is Cybercubed’s job and all, but Hikari is so freaking bland right now that it’s hard for me not to look back at how they handled things for Haruka. So, uhh, appologies for that I guess

-Aqua/Magma Battle Theme for the mega win. It's been way too long since that one was played. But, of course they had to be jerks about it and cut it short for some of that damn movie 8 stuff they love so much. I'll give 'em props for the (remixed?!) G/S wild pokémon and Regi themes though.

-BARRY NATION.

-The battles were pretty fast paced this time around, with some creative strategies involved. Although, these mainly came from Nyarmar and it's curled tail.

-I liked how Swift didn't explode on contact here. Watching Nyarmar being pelted with the stars made for a nice change of pace. I also liked how Shimura had Aipom use the attack too. Not one big swipe of the tail like usual, but instead having the purple monkey swing it's hand of ass origin like a pendulum.
    I've commented on Nyarmar's spring Iron Tail already. But for those who didn't catch it the first time, I thought it was neat.
    Shadow claw looked really nice. And having Nyarmar extend it's real claws to utilise the technique was a nice touch.
    Giving Fury Swipes the ~Ultimate White Glow of Omnipotent Justice~ was a stupid decision. The same goes for Mimirol's Dizzy Punch.

That was the DP Wild Pokemon Battle Theme, irc.

Anyway, it seems if Ueda does do Masukippa, he finnaly decided on a voice too use. Now if only the animators could decide how to animate it....

Giving Fury Swipes the ~Ultimate White Glow of Omnipotent Justice~ was a stupid decision. The same goes for Mimirol's Dizzy Punch.
    I'm worried the glow is some kind of bizarre censorship....

Wow. Nozomi is much better than Drew.

Season One Complete!

What were Hikari and Nozomi saying during this week's sunset talk?

I'm getting a bit bored with Aipom's attacks, he needs some new, interesting ones, but overall this was a good episode.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenKirby View Post
    How so? Are you still carrying on your whiny anti-May and Drew bias to the D/P series?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenKirby View Post
    How is Nozomi better than Drew? Really, I'm curious to know the answer to that.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast