Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Arrival of a Rival (480)

OK, so exactly what does yet another pointless Misty vs May debate have to do with this episode?

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

^ Uh...Geodude is right you know, this is Shinou we're talking about. Which leaves me to say this: I think the contests in Shinou are pretty cool after seeing this episode!

I mean I kinda like it how the battle points are formed into a cirlce since it knida looked stylish (as how Super Contests in the games are supposed to be). Nozomi has that "Drew" stare towards Hikari so you know what that means...

As I'v said before, Aipom put up a pretty good fight! If there was no time limit, Aipom could've had a chance to win, but of course, Nozomi had to take the victory. Masukipp+Jessie=finals made me happy too!

Okay after watching the episode, now I'm *really* curious as to how far the show people are willing to take the Nozomi/Hikari dynamic. (I also posted the following under spoiler in the Appealshipping thread.)

Right before Hikari and Nozomi battle:
    Hikari: Atashi, tanoshimi de tanoshimi de shouganai no. (I can't help feeling this is so fun/exciting.)
    Nozomi: Eh?
    Hikari: Datte, hajimete no taikai de anata no you na Coordinator to batoru dekirundemo. (Because I'm able to battle with a Coordinator like you even though it's my first Contest.)
    Nozomi: Kawaii koto iunda ne. (You say such cute things.)

Then again, right at the end before Nozomi leaves:
    Hikari: Dattara hitotsu iitai koto ga aru no. (There's one thing I want to tell you.)
    Nozomi: Huh?
    Hikari: Atashi mada mada kakkowarui kedo itsuka anata yori suteki ni Pokemon wo miseru Coordinator ni naru. Datte anata ni makete monosugo~ku kuyashindamo! (I'm still pretty uncool right now but someday I'll become a Coordinator who can show off my Pokemon even more amazingly than you can. That's why it's sooo awful to lose to you!)
    Nozomi: *laughs* Aikawarazu kawaii koto iunda ne. (Always saying such cute things.)

And uh, yeah, I did the translations myself using no dictionaries or anything, but I think they're not too off. I get the feeling this "kawaii koto iunda ne" is like Nozomi's equivalent of Drew throwing roses to May. XD

Later, at the hotel...

Quote Originally Posted by uber gon View Post
    Well Wallace's Milotic is definitely large.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    OK, so exactly what does yet another pointless Misty vs May debate have to do with this episode?
    Nothing...
    It's just that I said I prefer Nozomi over Drew/Harley and some crazy AG fanatics came to ask why would she be better than the others... Which is really pointless, since each one got his/her own opinion. The problem's that some people here don't accept other's opinion, and think they are absolutely right in their empty thoughts, you know... So debates like that come around! =/
    Sorry for going so out of the topic.
    About the episode, I've already said: Fantastic; and Nozomi rocks <3

Okay, I also discovered something else while watching the episode:
    They made a really big point about the difference between Contest battling style and normal Pokemon battling (i.e. Gym battling) style.

The most obvious example of this was Nozomi telling her Nyaruma to use Shadow Claw to block/deflect/cancel out attacks instead of using it to directly attack Pokemon that it can't affect. The first judge pointed out that Nozomi's unconventional use of the Shadow Claw attack exemplified the fact that Contest battles are about showing off your Pokemon's moves, especially using your opponents moves to better show off your own moves. Gym Battles, on the other hand are much more about doing damage to the opponent and taking them out, which was the strategy that Ash was aiming for, since the one thing that Contest battles have in common with Gym battles is that you can make the opponent lose by fainting their Pokemon.

It's true that Nozomi did tell Ash that she probably would have lost if that Focus Punch had connected, but immediately afterwards she added that Ash's battling style is suited to Gym Battles and not Contests. Ash acknowledged this, saying that after trying it out for himself in this Contest he realizes that he totally forgot about showing off his Pokemon's moves, which led to Hikari mentioning that he only entered because Aipom wanted to, and that led Nozomi to suggest that Ash lend Aipom to Hikari. And that question was left hanging!
    Last edited by tipnottippy; 17th December 2006 at 11:29 PM.

Later, at the hotel...

Well Wallace's Milotic is definitely large.

Quote Originally Posted by tipnottippy View Post
    Okay after watching the episode, now I'm *really* curious as to how far the show people are willing to take the Nozomi/Hikari dynamic. (I also posted the following under spoiler in the Appealshipping thread.)

Hikari: Atashi, tanoshimi de tanoshimi de shouganai no. (I can't help feeling this is so fun/exciting.)
    Hikari: Datte, hajimete no taikai de anata no you na Coordinator to batoru dekirundemo. (Because I'm able to battle with a Coordinator like you even though it's my first Contest.)

Hikari: Dattara hitotsu iitai koto ga aru no. (There's one thing I want to tell you.)
    Hikari: Atashi mada mada kakkowarui kedo itsuka anata yori suteki ni Pokemon wo miseru Coordinator ni naru. Datte anata ni makete monosugo~ku kuyashindamo! (I'm still pretty uncool right now but someday I'll become a Coordinator who can show off my Pokemon even more amazingly than you can. That's why it's sooo awful to lose to you!)
    Nozomi: *laughs* Aikawarazu kawaii koto iunda ne. (Always saying such cute things.)

And uh, yeah, I did the translations myself using no dictionaries or anything, but I think they're not too off. I get the feeling this "kawaii koto iunda ne" is like Nozomi's equivalent of Drew throwing roses to May. XD
    Goshhh, if your translations are really right, I guess Hikari and Nozomi are already lovers! xD
    LOL! Ok, I kid...
    But, uhhh, I really think these two are gonna have something deep, write that!

Based on translations and from watching the episode I still think that assuming Lesbianism is a little too early. To me it just seems like people just twisted what happened to assume that it's going to be a lesbian relationship. To me it seems more like they are rivals than lovers. So she seems like Drew that still doesn't prove a thing about a relationship and more about a rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ryu View Post
    Based on translations and from watching the episode I still think that assuming Lesbianism is a little too early. To me it just seems like people just twisted what happened to assume that it's going to be a lesbian relationship. To me it seems more like they are rivals than lovers. So she seems like Drew that still doesn't prove a thing about a relationship and more about a rivalry.
    You mean, like with every shipping? OMG NO WAI!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ryu View Post
    I don't know.

I remained skeptical of Contestshipping throughout most of Hoenn, but it became pretty obvious by the end anyway.

All it started with was Drew giving her a rose and some sly flirting, and I honestly didn't think that was going to lead to anything but I was proven wrong.

Honestly, Hikari/Nozomi starting out subtle is exactly the same way May/Drew started out. Who knows how far they'll go with it.

You guys do know that Nozomi could just having a Drew-ish personality of treating Hikari as a newbie, right?

Anyone hear find it weird that Masukippa can beat a Rhydon, but not any of the main characters' pokémon?
    Last edited by uber gon; 18th December 2006 at 4:35 AM.

Seen the episode and it was better than I expected. I liked how they developed more with Nozomi's personality. The type to judge people, and assumes things. (Reminds me a whole lot of people in here) But I was amazed that Jessie got to the finals, that surprised me.

The battles weren't that bad. The first battle, Nozomi vs. Ash, it proved Ash is not cut out to be in contests since he was more worried of taking down of his opponent, but he managed to surprise Nozomi that he was a better battler than expected. Nozomi just took advantage and win barely if that if Focus Punch hit which some of yous mentioned. She looked like she was shaking at the last few seconds.

The second battle Hikari vs. Nozomi was the best. Hikari is not a bad battler herself, and that was smart to frezze the field which later Nozomi took advanatge of. I noticed that Hikari kept saying about Shadow Claw is like a Ghost attack, it won't work, but it look like she learned her lesson that she wasn't meant to hit the Pokemon. I laughed how Minimoru jumping on the cat, (I keep forgetting the name) but that was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by tipnottippy View Post

I noticed about Nozomi, she kept saying "such cute things" or something, (not an expert of Japanese), but the way they interacted did not give much a vibe they are lesbians which everyone got so obsessed on lately. But the way Nozomi is only interested on Hikari does bring of the question though since she liked her a lot, but not with Ash which later was taken care. But the way the two are, its going to be a friendly rivalry.

Well...I finally got to see the ep. Most has been covered already so I won't repeat what's been said. (mostly by Gravy)

Nozomi's cat thing is friggin vicious. Daaaaaaamn.

I dislike the fact that Mimirol is such a good battler already. It has Ice beam, can battle really well, and gave Nozomi's strongest (?) Pokemon a run for her money.

Did the writers remember that Hikari is supposed to be a beginning coordinator and that her Mimirol didn't have a real battle before this Contest? Why is Hikari battling as well as May from Battle Frontier?

I don't mean to rag on Hikari, but if you compare her battles in her first Contest compared to May's first Contest battle, then you can easily tell which girl has more Mary Sue-dom injected into their bloodstream.

And for that matter, they both battled their rivals, and Nozomi's points were fairly close to Hikari's when the match ended which means Hikari put up a decent fight. Eh...I suppose Pochama will be in the battle next Contest, which she'll probably win, but I'd rather not see her be so competent so soon.

Didn't people claim May got somewhat bland in BF because she was so competent? If so, why do people honestly want to see Hikari battle like an experienced coordiantor already? It takes out the fun of character development.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I don't mean to rag on Hikari
    Yeah, I'm sure.

Did they mention what town the next contest was taking place in?

Credit goes to Eroiduelist for the bannar

"Her fate is foretold by the whispers of the trees." - Forest Of Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness Angel View Post
    Did they mention what town the next contest was taking place in?
    I don't think so. This isn't Battle Frontier, the writers don't have to rush the Contests close together.

If any of Ash's pokémon learn Shadow Claw sometime, I'll die laughing, especially if it's Aipom.

I don't think she was as competent as you say she was, CyberCubed. She lost in the second round out of 4, which means she didn't even make the semifinals. Her first opponent may have been a rookie as well for all we know. And although she can hold her own so far, she has a lot to learn about strategy. This is evidenced by her assuming that Nozomi was using Shadow Claw as a direct attack, and the attack would therefore not work, when that was never the case.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Great episode. The music was fantastic.

Marry the Night

At least d/p contests might be diiferent. In this case, the new rival wins the contest she's introduced.

If any of Ash's pokémon learn Shadow Claw sometime, I'll die laughing, especially if it's Aipom.
    It's on the TM list. Though I'll be interested to see if Aipom learns Screech and/or Agility before Double Attack. Either of them would help her out greatly.

You're a Snover. I'm a Fire-Type. This amuses me.

At least d/p contests might be diiferent. In this case, the new rival wins the contest she's introduced.
    We already know how D/P contests work. Its shown in this episode. They're 95% the same as the AG Contests, with only minor differences.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Did the writers remember that Hikari is supposed to be a beginning coordinator and that her Mimirol didn't have a real battle before this Contest? Why is Hikari battling as well as May from Battle Frontier?
    I guess it's because unlike Haruka, Hikari has known about contests for a while before she even became a trainer, probably having and seen many coordinator matches by her mother, so she had a better idea of how to do it.

I got nothing against Mimirol at the moment, but if I see her later on using Pound or Double Attack on a Yonowaaru I might think differently...

Aipom was awesome as usual, I have no complaints. He put up a good fight and was cute doing it. ^ ^

I am a bit annoyed by how Shinou contests aren't like they are in the games, but it could just be this one time. Perhapes we'll start seeing Super Contest style contests later on when Hikari starts winning ribbons.

"Please don't look at me that way, I'm a very shy little girl!"

is there video link to the episode?

Finally saw this(that makes me only HOW far behind, especially since I haven't actually seen the FIRST half of this contest?). Nyarma's "dodge EVERYTHING with that tail of its or deflect it with Shadow Claw!" bit was interesting at first, but it got old after the first battle with said bit. I find it a TAD hard to believe that Ash would keep using (dynamic? focus?)punch when it kept being COMPLETELY INEFFECTIVE; after the second or third time it was either dodged or used against him, you'd think that the guy, who's been battling for ages, would notice a pattern.

Although TR's reactions to Jessie losing after making it to the finals and doing fairly well were classic.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

IMO diamond and pearl episodes is kinda giving a bad name for pokemon, the producers are running out of ideas, you can see this through the pokemon design, they are getting worse and worse (except the legends), also IMO the earlier they stop the better.

but then again...i guess...ash hasnt won any leagues yet...so i guess the producers probably gonna drag more until her wins one...if he ever...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast