Thread: Pokemon Regulus: A Region and Fakemon Project

Default Pokemon Regulus: A Region and Fakemon Project

Pokemon Regulus is the tentative name of my fakemon project, which has various meanings (Bright Star, Little King, Impure Metal, Basilisk) that coincide very well with the storyline I'm cooking up.

The game takes place in the Tervari region, which is almost as big as Kanto and Johto combined. As a whole, Tervari isn't as developed as urbanized regions such as Unova or Kalos, but makes it up with more diverse cultures and interesting folklore, as well as never-before-seen Pokemon that are not found in other regions.

Plot so far:
    You start out in Luxuria Suburbs as a teenager who, along with your two childhood friends Kathryn and Devon, idolizes the Tervari Region's emerging peace-enforcing group named Team Aegis. You and your friends go to Luxuria City to participate in a pokemon lottery sponsored by Team Aegis. But on the way, you bump on somebody who's in a hurry who dropped a lottery ticket, and by some weird twist of fate (yeah riiight), you win the grand prize: three pokemon! You and your friends divide the spoils, pick a starter pokemon amongst yourselves, and strive to join Team Aegis! And thus your adventure begins!

Features:
    New region, new characters, regional dex composed entirely of fakemons, you know the drill. However, the storyline is what I'm interested in developing. More interaction, more fleshed-out characters, a gameplot that unfolds differently depending on your choices, kickass folklore, and a possible love interest of sorts developing postgame is what I'm hoping to incorporate in this project.

Introducing the Map of Tervari!
    The Tervari Region
    Disambiguation: Terra[land, ground, earth] + Varietas[variety, diversity, difference]
    Can be translated as "Diverse Land" or "Land of Different People and Places".
        Spoiler:- Region Description:

The left one is how it looks overall, while the right one is when adding all the map details. The borders indicate how it looks like when divided by the ds screens. Yes, it's a two-part map that goes north-south, kinda like east-west for Kanto-Johto. It's a map that houses 12 gyms, and along with the Elite 4 and 1 Champion means that it has all Gen V types covered (17).

Map Details
    Tervari City/Town Legend:
        Spoiler:- IMAGE:

Spoiler:- Descriptions:

Tervari Landmark Legend:

Tervari Route Legend:

Gym Leaders
    The Tervari Region originally housed 8 Pokemon Gyms. However, due to the integration of the Tervari Hamlet's Gym Leader into the Elite Four, as well as the recent development of Luxuria City and Arcavis Town's gyms, the number of Pokemon Gyms bumped up to 12 with 13 Gym Leaders governing them over the past few years. With no clear successor to Tervari Hamlet's Gym, 3 other Gyms feuding over who shall get the title rose to the occasion, all of which are acknowledged, resulting in Tervari Hamlet having 3 Pokemon Gyms.
        Spoiler:- Gym Leader Data:
    The Gym typings were arranged in such a way that the typing is weak to the next gym's:
    Normal <Fighting <Flying <Electric <Ground <Grass <Poison <Psychic <Ghost <Dark <Bug <Fire.

The Pokemon League
    With the former Champion retiring to pursue a different career, the Pokemon League recently reorganized and relocated from the foot of Ash Mountain to the mouth of the Tervari Canyon. One of the Elite Four succeeded the Champion's place, while a gym leader was integrated into the Elite Four.
        Spoiler:- Pokemon League Data:

The ordering of the E4 types are opposite of the gym leader types' principle:
    Water> Rock> Ice> Dragon
    The Champion's primary typing (Steel) resists the last E4's typing.

Team Aegis
    Theme: Gladiator/ Valkyrie outfits
    Credo: To promote and enforce peace upon the whole region..
        Spoiler:- Team Structure:

...If you read through all that, it means I love you already LOL.

Going with the trainer artworks, so far I got the female trainer down:

Current Pokemon Designed: 34/165 barely 20% :/
    Grass Starters based on the Lotus Flower and the Hindu Diety Lakshmi: Lillibud, Felotus and Sacreflora
        Spoiler:- Lillibud:

Spoiler:- Felotus:

Spoiler:- Sacreflora:

Fire Starters based on Komodo dragons and the Norse Fire Giant Surtr: Crotyke, Lavatara and Komolten
        Spoiler:- Crotyke:

Spoiler:- Lavatara:

Spoiler:- Komolten:

Water Starters based on Orcas and the Greek Sea God Poseidon: Dolfby, Fervorca and Valorca
        Spoiler:- Dolfby:

Spoiler:- Fervorca:

Spoiler:- Valorca:

An Electric-type Pokemon with two forms based on batteries (pretty derpy eh?): Cellectro
        Spoiler:- Cellectro Round Forme:

Spoiler:- Cellectro Pack Forme:

A Rock-type line based on Chess Pieces: Stalacrumb, Stalacore and Stalakarn
        Spoiler:- Stalacrumb:

Spoiler:- Stalacore:

Spoiler:- Stalakarn:

A Fighting/Ground Cassowary line which are parodies of the Angry Birds game and Braveheart movie: Grouchick and Cass-O-War
        Spoiler:- Grouchick:

Spoiler:- Cass-O-War:

A Grass/Dark line based on goblins and trolls: Shrublin and Trolliath
        Spoiler:- Shrublin:

Spoiler:- Trolliath:

A Fire/Water fakemon inspired by the fictional Homunculus: Flaschemy
        Spoiler:- Flaschemy:

A Water/Fire fakemon inspired by Hot Springs and the fictional Kappa: Volcappa
        Spoiler:- Volcappa:

A Steel/Ghost fakemon based on the Iron Maiden Torture Device: Virgrim
        Spoiler:- Virgrim:

A Ghost/Psychic fakemon based on the Native American Shamans: Shamantra
        Spoiler:- Shamantra:

A mono-Flying fakemon based on Clouds and Sheep: Sylphleece
        Spoiler:- Sylphleece:

A Normal/Ghost fakemon based on the Gazelle and Dullahan: Ghouzelle
        Spoiler:- Ghouzelle:

A Dark/Fairy, two-form fakemon based on the Incubus/Succubus: Devlux
        Spoiler:- Devlux Male Forme:

Spoiler:- Devlux Female Forme:

A lategame bird line based on the Philippine Eagle: Aguilet and Aguilari
        Spoiler:- Aguilet:

Spoiler:- Aguilari:

A postgame bird line based on Harpies and Valkyries: Harpling and Valthena
        Spoiler:- Harpling:

Spoiler:- Valthena:

A pseudolegendary line based on Serpents: Aspoxin, Galviper and Drasilikos
        Spoiler:- Aspoxin:

Spoiler:- Galviper:

Spoiler:- Drasilikos:

A two-form legendary fakemon based on Sultans and Genies: Sahrafi
        Spoiler:- Sahrafi Sultan Forme:

Spoiler:- Sahrafi Djinn Forme:

Sorry if the quality is inconsistent between the artworks; they were done when I was exploring art styles. As always, suggestions, comments and critiques are very welcome

Amazing!
    Of course I'm already familiar with some of your work from the smogon forums, but I didn't know you where planning on making a region.
    I think the whole story is well thought with witty and fresh ideas. I can't wait to see more of them

As someone who made a whole fakedex before, I know it is a lot of work to come up with so many ideas. As advise I would say: try to keep finding fun concepts to work with and don't rush it. So far all designs look great and inventive
    ps: my favorite so far is Virgrim. It looks so great!

!!!

Whoa noobiess you're here too!!!! So this is where you're hiding after CAP o_O

Thanks for the comments! Yeah making a fakedex IS hard, and rushing it won't do any good either. I actually have fakemon ideas laid out, but so far I still have way more to draw. I'm taking it slow but steady for now since it's a solo project anyways XD
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah here are most of the ideas I've established so far:
    Pokemon Regulus Spreadsheet

^ I decided to encode the fakemon data that I'm planning on this link. So far most of these are still incomplete and/or subject to change, but the spreadsheet mostly includes:
    - 154 planned fakemon (165 if different formes are included) with movepool data in-progress
    - 10 proposed mega evos
    - A separate spreadsheet with info on potential location/catch methods in accordance with the Tervari Map
    - "Trainerdex" that has the team rosters of the main characters of the story
    - Over 20 custom abilities
    - Over 50 custom moves, 20 of which are available in TM-like items called NM's (Native Machines)
    - Over 60 custom items

Quote Originally Posted by Magistrum View Post
    !!!

Whoa noobiess you're here too!!!! So this is where you're hiding after CAP o_O

Thanks for the comments! Yeah making a fakedex IS hard, and rushing it won't do any good either. I actually have fakemon ideas laid out, but so far I still have way more to draw. I'm taking it slow but steady for now since it's a solo project anyways XD
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah here are most of the ideas I've established so far:
    Pokemon Regulus Spreadsheet

^ I decided to encode the fakemon data that I'm planning on this link. So far most of these are still incomplete and/or subject to change, but the spreadsheet mostly includes:
    - 154 planned fakemon (165 if different formes are included) with movepool data in-progress
    - 10 proposed mega evos
    - A separate spreadsheet with info on potential location/catch methods in accordance with the Tervari Map
    - "Trainerdex" that has the team rosters of the main characters of the story
    - Over 20 custom abilities
    - Over 50 custom moves, 20 of which are available in TM-like items called NM's (Native Machines)
    - Over 60 custom items
    No!! you found my hiding place! ^^

Wow, the spreadsheat looks promising. Certainly the moves and abilities (especially sadistic and hypersonic) are really inventive!
    I can't wait to see more designs

Regulus as in the bird?
    1547-5713-0450

Quote Originally Posted by Silversea View Post
    Regulus as in the bird?
    Uhh I'm not sure what you're talking about, but Regulus's definitions are mentioned on the first paragraph of my OP.

Okay time for another round of fakemons!

Working on a fishmon this time, altho not yet complete :|
    The concept is a pokemon that evolves into 7 different formes depending on what day of the week you evolve it. So far the forme obtained when evolved during Sundays is down
    Inspired from the Lionfish, presenting Decorsal and Vendorsa!

Default Design

Okay, first of all, I'd just like to mention that every single design looks absolutely amazingly done. I could actually see them being official Pokemon art.

That said, I do have a few comments.

First of all, Vendorsa Sunset Forme looks like a Fire-type with the orange-and-yellow fins. I'm not sure whether or not it was intentional, given that it is a Sunset Forme, but, if you weren't already going to, I would suggest giving it at least a few fire-type moves so that the design matches the interior, ya know?
    I also want to mention the spikes/plates on Drasilikos, the poison/steel type. I realize that the plates obviously have some importance, hence their mention in the Pokedex entry, and that the spikes are because, well, it's a poison type, but having both just seems like overkill. Just like fans got their knickers all in a twist because of the overdesigning of Black and White Kyurem, I think the addition of both spines/plates and spikes is a bit too much. Unfortunately, I don't really have any suggestions for this one, and I might just be overattentive to detail anyways, so you might want to ask some other people what they think before you actually listen to me here...
    Stalacore and Stalacrumb look very similar to each other, to the point where, when first looking at them, I did a double take for a minute, thinking, "Wait, are they the same?" It's not actually that bad, but they are very similar. I would suggest you try to differentiate a bit more between them.
    Lastly, there's my complaint about Ghouzelle. The tan in its body seems a bit too bright, given the darker gray, navy and red parts of it. I personally think that a darker brown or maybe a dimmer tan would give it a less unbalanced look. As it is, I find my eyes more drawn to the body than to the face since the tan contrasts and is used nowhere else.

Outside of those, I do have several very awesome things to point out, starting with the fact that the starters, in my opinion, are A-MAY-ZAY. And it takes a lot for me to call something A-MAY-ZAY rather than just amazing. I particularly like the Dolfby line; Dolfby is super cute while its two evolutions both look almost excessively BA. "Most popular starter," no doubt.
    My favorite would have to be Virgrim so far. It looks so totally BA and creepy that I just couldn't resist catching one if it were in a real game. The gray and dark red mix is orchestrated very well, with a good balance, and the brighter red eyes also work well.
    I also really like Ghouzelle, despite my complaint about it. Its gray, navy and cream fur are all very cool, and the red edging on the horns and hooves make it look very sinister. I also think the fact that its eyes extend back into horns is absolutely ingenious.
    Female Devlux, in my opinion, is also very well done. The white and pinkish-tan are balanced very well, and the fur and horns along with its face and eyes make it look much like how the Pokedex describes it. The red and yellow eyes with back outline also draw attention to its face.
    Aguilari is absolutely BA in every sense of the word. The brown-tan-cream color scheme is pleasing to the eye, and the rumpled feathers makes it look every more BA than it already looked. Usually, the darker eye and small face would probably make the body more attracting to the eye, like with Ghouzelle, but the stance puts enough emphasis on the face to eliminate that problem.
    The gold and grainy sand parts of Sahrafi are very well-done, too. They look like they're made out of sand, especially with the graceful curves of those areas. The facial shape and red gem also bring attention to the eyes, which I must also comment are drawn very well.

Overall, methinks that it's amazing. As in, could-be-really-implemented-by-Game-Freak amazing. Good job!
    I don't sugarcoat.
    Don't sugarcoat for me.
    Isn't the universe so much simpler now?
    WARNING:
    Arrogant idiots will get one warning shot. Flamers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.
    (Also, due to the rising price of bullets, I will no longer be firing warning shots. Thank you for your understanding.)

Whoa ZoruaGirl27 thanks for the wonderful comments and critique! I really appreciate it! Okay, to answer your questions i shall reply in bold:
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoruaGirl27 View Post
    Okay, first of all, I'd just like to mention that every single design looks absolutely amazingly done. I could actually see them being official Pokemon art.
    Haha thanks! I dunno tho; my style is currently not sugi-style so people will easily recognize that it's a fakemon.

That said, I do have a few comments.

First of all, Vendorsa Sunset Forme looks like a Fire-type with the orange-and-yellow fins. I'm not sure whether or not it was intentional, given that it is a Sunset Forme, but, if you weren't already going to, I would suggest giving it at least a few fire-type moves so that the design matches the interior, ya know?
    Yes it was intentional. The resemblance to fire-type pokemon--or at least their color schemes--is the concept of Sunset Forme. I always liked pokemon where typing was ambiguous and not apparent by color scheme alone. If you look at Mawile, do you see a Steel-type? Did you know that when Diamond/Pearl came out, many people at Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown used Earthquake on Gliscor, assuming it is Poison-type?

Those impressions are what I wanted to get from Vendorsa. If you google the Lionfish(the animal Vendorsa is based on), you'd see a fish with various colors which predators think twice about eating because they are actually poisonous.

I also want to mention the spikes/plates on Drasilikos, the poison/steel type. I realize that the plates obviously have some importance, hence their mention in the Pokedex entry, and that the spikes are because, well, it's a poison type, but having both just seems like overkill. Just like fans got their knickers all in a twist because of the overdesigning of Black and White Kyurem, I think the addition of both spines/plates and spikes is a bit too much. Unfortunately, I don't really have any suggestions for this one, and I might just be overattentive to detail anyways, so you might want to ask some other people what they think before you actually listen to me here...
    I see where you come from, and yes I admit I've been indulgent with Drasilikos's design, haha. Perhaps the fact that it's a pseudolegend made me want to detail it more. and about the spikes, I've made it that way so as to break the monotony of the subdivided metal sections of the body, and is a hint on its megaevo design. Please look forward to it XD

Stalacore and Stalacrumb look very similar to each other, to the point where, when first looking at them, I did a double take for a minute, thinking, "Wait, are they the same?" It's not actually that bad, but they are very similar. I would suggest you try to differentiate a bit more between them.
    Hmm I see your point, and their identical size in the dex template doesn't help, either. Stalacore and Stalacrumb are of Chess Piece origin--Rook and Pawn to be exact--and as such has little differences to showcase. I went with the minimal difference on evolutions on this line, identical to Cinccino being just a hairy Minccino, or Muk being a Grimer with sharper eyes.

Lastly, there's my complaint about Ghouzelle. The tan in its body seems a bit too bright, given the darker gray, navy and red parts of it. I personally think that a darker brown or maybe a dimmer tan would give it a less unbalanced look. As it is, I find my eyes more drawn to the body than to the face since the tan contrasts and is used nowhere else.
    Hmm, I guess I've been too straightforward about adapting a Gazelle's color scheme IRL... don't worry, I'll fix that once I get to spriting this guy XD

Outside of those, I do have several very awesome things to point out, starting with the fact that the starters, in my opinion, are A-MAY-ZAY. And it takes a lot for me to call something A-MAY-ZAY rather than just amazing. I particularly like the Dolfby line; Dolfby is super cute while its two evolutions both look almost excessively BA. "Most popular starter," no doubt.
    Thanks! tbh only a few like it tho, because they're turned off with it being a "starter that can't walk on land".

My favorite would have to be Virgrim so far. It looks so totally BA and creepy that I just couldn't resist catching one if it were in a real game. The gray and dark red mix is orchestrated very well, with a good balance, and the brighter red eyes also work well.
    I enjoyed doing Virgrim too glad you liked it.

Aguilari is absolutely BA in every sense of the word. The brown-tan-cream color scheme is pleasing to the eye, and the rumpled feathers makes it look every more BA than it already looked. Usually, the darker eye and small face would probably make the body more attracting to the eye, like with Ghouzelle, but the stance puts enough emphasis on the face to eliminate that problem.
    Aguilari is born out of my frustration over Braviary being shoehorned as a Bald Eagle(Braviary isn't even bald, js) when it actually is a Philippine Eagle with a different color scheme. Heck, the color scheme even has the colors of the Philippine Flag! (Since when did the American Flag get yellow?) So yeah, that's how Aguilari came to be, haha.

The gold and grainy sand parts of Sahrafi are very well-done, too. They look like they're made out of sand, especially with the graceful curves of those areas. The facial shape and red gem also bring attention to the eyes, which I must also comment are drawn very well.
    Thanks, I liked Sahrafi too. It was designed before gen 6 came out, and now that Diancie and Mega Diancie is a thing, I'm actually contemplating whether to change its typing to Ground/Fairy or not, but the 1.5x SpDef boost during sandstorm is too good to pass up, so I'm in a bind ;~;

Overall, methinks that it's amazing. As in, could-be-really-implemented-by-Game-Freak amazing. Good job!
    Thank you! Glad you liked it!

Update:
    Humanshape fakemon based on cosmic bodies and miko/shamans:
    WAIFUMONS Cosmica, Solarica, Lunarica, Stellarica, and Gravica!

Last edited by Magistrum; 2nd August 2014 at 6:43 AM.

Wow nice new fakemon.
    For the fish pokemon: I like the concept of 7 different evolutions, depending on the day of the week. I like both designs but I think vendorsa should be water/fire. Mainly because if you have 7 evolutions I think it will be better if you make them totally different and type help with this. Certainly because Vendorsa looks a lot like a water/fire type.
    I have kind of the same comment about the newest designs. I also would give the evolutions secondary types.
    Other then that, I really like the designs!

Quote Originally Posted by noobiess View Post
    Wow nice new fakemon.
    For the fish pokemon: I like the concept of 7 different evolutions, depending on the day of the week. I like both designs but I think vendorsa should be water/fire. Mainly because if you have 7 evolutions I think it will be better if you make them totally different and type help with this. Certainly because Vendorsa looks a lot like a water/fire type.
    I have kind of the same comment about the newest designs. I also would give the evolutions secondary types.
    Other then that, I really like the designs!
    uhhh i just answered this on the previous post?
    Yes it was intentional. The resemblance to fire-type pokemon--or at least their color schemes--is the concept of Sunset Forme. I always liked pokemon where typing was ambiguous and not apparent by color scheme alone. If you look at Mawile, do you see a Steel-type? Did you know that when Diamond/Pearl came out, many people at Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown used Earthquake on Gliscor, assuming it is Poison-type?

Those impressions are what I wanted to get from Vendorsa. If you google the Lionfish(the animal Vendorsa is based on), you'd see a fish with various colors which predators think twice about eating because they are actually poisonous.
    Same sentiment with the Cosmica line.

Wow, I honestly you should work for the pokemon company because thee fakemon are so good! Very impressive, I'm not an artist myself, but I really want to be. I know this is off topic a bit but are these hand drawn or did you use an art program? I really want to get good at pokemon fanart so maybe I can pm you about it instead of making this post go off topic from your region. However it is a very nice project. Do you plan to actually make this a game for download someday?

Ok if you want to battle me I will most likely do battle spot rules, but I will do smogon too sometimes. I don't hate smogon it's just that I like battle spot rules better and play them a lot more. But every once in a while I might battle with smogon rules, or if I have to I will.

Friend code: 2165-6624-1567

My friend safari: Tangrowth, Sawsbuck (still finding out 3rd one)

My fanfic: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...9#post17495739

Quote Originally Posted by Fossildude747 View Post
    Wow, I honestly you should work for the pokemon company because thee fakemon are so good! Very impressive, I'm not an artist myself, but I really want to be. I know this is off topic a bit but are these hand drawn or did you use an art program? I really want to get good at pokemon fanart so maybe I can pm you about it instead of making this post go off topic from your region. However it is a very nice project. Do you plan to actually make this a game for download someday?
    Thanks, glad you like it! Technically these are made using an art program, altho I drew them via pen tablet so in a sense they're hand-drawn, too.

Someday I'd like to make this into a fangame, but for now I'll take it slow and design each fakemon in my dex

Quote Originally Posted by Magistrum View Post
    uhhh i just answered this on the previous post?

Same sentiment with the Cosmica line.
    I just wanted to emphasize it ^^

Ps: Nice entry for CAP ( a bit of topic but meh )

I'm going on a limb here, but once this project idea is completed, you should definitely pitch it to Gamefreak.
    Pride is Unnecessary; Humble is bold
    3DS Friend Code: 1934-0895-1544 PM me if you add; Friend Safari (XL) Fire - Charmeleon/Fletchinder/Growlithe

Update:
    First is a Poison/Dark fakemon inspired by the Manticore and a bit of Vlad the Impaler, here's Vladicore!

Second is a Rock/Ghost Fakemon line based on Obelisks and Tombs Presenting Obelith and Tectomb!

Bravo, Magistrum!
    Usually I come to these sorts of thread and to be honest and I am hardly impressed by the bulk of them.
    All this shows real promise and you have a lot of goods ideas so props to you, brah!

3DS XL Friend Code: 2036-7872-1965
    .: DA | Tumblr | MAL :.

These are all REALLY good. Some of the best I've ever seen, if not THE best. You're so creative and I don't know how you come up with so many different ideas. My favorite is probably Flaschemy. I'm eager to see what else you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Izanagi View Post
    Bravo, Magistrum!
    Usually I come to these sorts of thread and to be honest and I am hardly impressed by the bulk of them.
    All this shows real promise and you have a lot of goods ideas so props to you, brah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumiho View Post
    These are all REALLY good. Some of the best I've ever seen, if not THE best. You're so creative and I don't know how you come up with so many different ideas. My favorite is probably Flaschemy. I'm eager to see what else you come up with.
    Thank you Izanagi and Kumiho! Glad you guys like it
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another round of fakemons! This is the early canine of my region, based on the bloodhound here's Slooch and Gorebert!
        Spoiler:- slooch:

Spoiler:- gorebert:
    Last edited by Magistrum; 11th November 2014 at 4:41 PM.

I like the designs. I'm glad the manticore turned out dark/poison, it fits best.
    I also love the new ability, corrosive. It is very inventive and from a competitive point of view very intriguing.

Im not a big fan of those kinds of names, but i sure do like how they look. I love the whale ones the most.
    2595 2547 1734 Fox