Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reports & You - A Guide To Use

Hybrid View

Post Reports & You - A Guide To Use

The How To Guide and Other Things You Never Knew

I get a hefty amount of reports to look forward to each morning with a trickle throughout the day. However, it has been particularly in recent times these have been abused the heck out of for slagging other members, or just generally being useful.

So first, what exactly is a "Reported Post"?

The actual icon you need to click to report a post is the . Lets say, while going around the forums you have, lo and behold, found somebody with a signature violation!

So once you've got over the shock of them doing something like that, you will of course need to find and click the above icon. But where is it?

So borrowing the signature rules thread a moment...

See the badly drawn red circle? Thar be the report a post button, it is in the exact same location for all posts.

Now you've found that violation and clicked the icon, what will happen next you wonder?

Now this of all places many users seem to struggle and for some reason pm me about it. In that white box, you need to type WHY you are reporting that particular user.

In this case however, it is just a test and a visual thing so it'll be made rather clear that it is as such on the reported post if any other Smods or Admins happen to spot it. We don't want to get Dan into trouble for just being a test subject now do we?

So for this example, I've put the following in the box:

Ignoring of course the message at the bottom, you can see clearly why Dan in this case is being reported, sig violations!

After clicking, the page should revert to where it was prior to clicking.

But what happens after that button is clicked? It's now to behind the scenes for what happens next. A report can take anything from a minute to a few hours to be received via email.

All reports go to the Mods, Smods or Admins who are modded in that forum. If there is none on however, they generally go to any SMods or Admins the system can get hold of which at a guess is whoever is on at the time.

Thankfully, the report didn't take long to come through, it looks like this in my email:

As you can see, the thread the report is from, the post that was reported, who sent it and the reason why are all there. It is then at the Mod's discretion how they deal with the report and when.

So in result, you do not need to link the thread/post you are reporting. You do not need to resort to questionable language in a report. Heck, if you like you can insert a bit of humour into your report as long as WHY you are reporting is there. I get some that are the "ABCs of Spam" which certainly makes a nice change.

Just tagging a report as "spam", "brewing flamewar" is perfectly acceptable, long as we know what we're dealing with.

Please bear in mind, it is extremely unlikely that you report will be dealt with the every second you send it so don't start flaming Mods claiming they are not doing their jobs. I have had this problem frequently lately of being pestered every two minutes just because spam hasn't been destroyed the very second it was posted.

No mod is about 24/7, we do need to sleep and we do try and catch as much as we can and like anybody we are by no means perfect.

We do also have a record for reports which are kept for the sole purpose of if they are required because of mod power trips, potential harassment of any member and the like. At this time, I am not aware of this ever being needed.

I hope this helped any who have been wondering what happens after you report, or indeed, how to report.

Sandra

Added by Latios 1/4/07:

Reporting PMs. The best example would be this (With the reported person and other things edited out)
    Last edited by Zephyr Flare; 8th June 2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Typos D:
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

Hm....very nicely worded and yes, I do think it's a great and helpful guide.

Note Taken ;P Thanks I Report Quite Often Really Oo

i haven't reported any one yet but i never knew you could report them for there sig breaking the rules ?
    Skyward sword

Wow, you learn something everyday. This makes me one step closer to world domination...

I'd better dumb down on the casual language within my reports, methinks :/

Though only Mod+s and up can deal with the signature violations, sometimes people report them insted of pming them for ease sake. Either way they are usually given to the right people to be dealt with.

I've had reports with simply "look" before, not the most helpful I'm sure you will agree.

Sandra
    Last edited by Zephyr Flare; 5th January 2007 at 1:48 PM.
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

Ummm... actually mod+ and higher can deal with the sig violations... that say my rabid Plusles
    Gone.

http://psiumbreon.livejournal.com/82372.html

Never had a Mod+ so never knew :O SLIGHT EDIT HO.

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

Cool. I've always wondered how reports work.
    gone

throw a party, josh

ZOMG! And I thought that white box was for decoration. It did seem a bit dull for decoration....

JK, anyway, nicely worded, I hope this helps others report spam and not to chat.

thanks for making this thread, I've always wondered how it all worked behind the scenes, and I'm sure that it'll help people to make better reports.

@-@ Here's hoping, DP, here's hoping.

I just said this, but I'll say it again for the heck of it: good idea, Sandra. :P

Personally, I didn't think it was that hard to get it wrong, but that's just me...

"o.o How do I post?"

~Psychic

This should remenid people about that button with the ! mark.
    ~Trouble 'n' Strife~
    Sharpedo and Sektor are my bishies! Touch them and you will receive a bite on the neck and a rocket up your bum!

Dream Team!
    Credit to Bulbgarden and MK Wiki

very nice idea i like it

merry christmas!

I always wanted to know what happened behind the scenes of the Report Button, thanks for the insiders' scoop Zephyr Flare, maybe people will start using it.

Excellent. This will definately help prevent SPAM. Simple too understand, yet it reads interesting. Nice job, Zephyr Flare [A.K.A Sandra].
    PM me if you need any help with in-game or competitive movesets, 1st to 4th Generation.
    Smogon University

You may want to point out the whole "don't reply to a thread just to say '*reports*'" thing.

But yeah, picture tutorials own.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bent~ View Post
    You may want to point out the whole "don't reply to a thread just to say '*reports*'" thing.

But yeah, picture tutorials own.
    If they had any sense they'd know it's against the rules and they'll get inractions for spam anyway for not reading the announcements or the rules

Quote Originally Posted by safira218 View Post
    If they had any sense they'd know it's against the rules and they'll get inractions for spam anyway for not reading the announcements or the rules
    Oh my God they're learning how to follow the rules better than regular users.
    Last edited by Lbsweet96; 21st February 2011 at 9:45 AM.

If they had any sense they'd know it's against the rules and they'll get inractions for spam anyway for not reading the announcements or the rules Screenies came partly from the amount of people asking me to give step by step guides to do things D:

Sandra
    Ruler of the Fics.

Thanks alot Zephyr Flare for writing this thread!

I'm really happy to announce that this is the most helpful guide I have ever seen in this Forum.

Nice announcement, Zephyr Flare. ^^
    So... if we see a signature that breaks the rules, you want us to use the report button right? And all this time I kept private messaging mods and bothering them... @_@ *hides in a box*

I proudly use the report button every time I see an *ss thread! (Which is too often...)

I get a gold star now?

Great, Just another thread on Banning more people -.-
    You people like to take your rules a little too seriously...
    ~ ♪ Did it again, Love. I got it all wrong. ♪ ~

But it felt so right. I can't beleive it.

And all the mistakes that wen't on for too long

~ ♪ Wish there was a way I could delete it! ♪ ~

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Milotic☆ View Post
    Great, Just another thread on Banning more people -.-
    You people like to take your rules a little too seriously...
    It's just a guide on how to report, and what happens when you report. That's all. Nothing to do with 'banning more people' or taking the rules 'too seriously'.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast